Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

90 minutes/level / World Size / World vs World [New York Post Interview]

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by RobertDinh

I'm talking about 50 people when the video lags. 

It's like you will try to take everything out of context to defend gw2.  Specifically when the game lags because people are spamming spells there are around 50 people on screen. 

I do not care about how many people were there when they are running around picking flowers.  I am talking specifically about when the game suffered major fps lag. 

100+ people doing nothing isn't the same as 50 people spamming spells in a concentrated area.

Heh. It becomes almost pitying, to see how your arguments keep shifting while still trying to delude yourself in ignoring what's clear on the video. Entertaining.

Shrug. No matter, everybody can watch the video for themselves, and see that it's nowhere near 50 but about 100 people that are spamming spells in the video. Everybody that can count and that shows common sense, that is.

Unfortunately I know what I am talking about here. 

I beg to differ. The way you pose your arguments in this thread alone have already shown how laughably wrong this statement is, among others.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Clearly you haven't ever played any largescale pvp games.  Because in those games not only do you have more than 50 people in concentrated areas at times, you have many outside of that range also casting into it. 

Let's try to leave the personal attacks out of this, you don't need to call people trolls just because they have a better understanding of game mechanics and have valid concerns for the game instead of just claiming it is perfect and will have no problems.

So we're expecting around half of an individual maps population, that will have several objectives that needs to be done at any one time to be all in a small area the size of what we saw in the end of demo celebration? If it does happen it'll definitely lag, but the situation arising is unlikely. Additionally, it may be surprising, but the effects of spells themselves are rarely as demanding on a system as rendering a character! It seems strange, but when you consider the shaders/polygon count of the average character compared to a little bit of flame you can see why. Effects can and will cause lag, but in situations such as those described, it is the sheer amount of bodies in close proximity to the player that'll be the main cause of the lag seen. It is likely that in the full version they will scale character detail with numbers on screen.

You've played large scale pvp apparently, but obviously haven't read about WvW pvp :)

Plus, at no point have i claimed perfection, but you've been repeating this broken record for 2 months, without any proof or any reasoning beyond 'i've played games before' despite many points to the contrary indicating your point redundant or a rare occurance (it is definitely the latter) and claiming it is the norm is definitely trolling. 2 Months of ignoring every other point made is not debate, it is 'my opinion is the bestest'.

If you admit that you're point is actually something that could occur in the right situation and won't be the norm then it will go a long way to showing that you're not just repeating points without any thought.

If you don't then i guess you just lack the mental capacity, such a pity.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Clearly you haven't ever played any largescale pvp games.  Because in those games not only do you have more than 50 people in concentrated areas at times, you have many outside of that range also casting into it. 

Let's try to leave the personal attacks out of this, you don't need to call people trolls just because they have a better understanding of game mechanics and have valid concerns for the game instead of just claiming it is perfect and will have no problems.

So we're expecting around half of an individual maps population, that will have several objectives that needs to be done at any one time to be all in a small area the size of what we saw in the end of demo celebration? If it does happen it'll definitely lag, but the situation arising is unlikely.

You've played large scale pvp apparently, but obviously haven't read about WvW pvp :)

Plus, at no point have i claimed perfection, but you've been repeating this broken record for 2 months, without any proof or any reasoning beyond 'i've played games before' despite many points to the contrary indicating your point redundant or a rare occurance (it is definitely the latter) and claiming it is the norm is definitely trolling. 2 Months of ignoring every other point made is not debate, it is 'my opinion is the bestest'.

If you admit that you're point is actually something that could occur in the right situation and won't be the norm then it will go a long way to showing that you're not just repeating points without any thought.

Nope, lol he speaks in absolutes. The funny part is that he implys you are an idiot, but asks you to not sling personal attacks. I actually think hes got a mental deficientcy.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

So we're expecting around half of an individual maps population, that will have several objectives that needs to be done at any one time to be all in a small area the size of what we saw in the end of demo celebration? If it does happen it'll definitely lag, but the situation arising is unlikely.

Nope, lol he speaks in absolutes. The funny part is that he implys you are an idiot, but asks you to not sling personal attacks. I actually think hes got a mental deficientcy.

Unfortunately he can now ignore my point and start posting at you about how you should stop personally attacking him and you're obviously too stupid to comprehend a point. It's been seen before many a time, if he can't get around a point he'll ignore it.

Still, hopefully the beta will be out in spring, then we can test WvW and show Robertdinh that he is indeed unsurprisingly wrong!

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

There are only around 50 people when the video lags. 

It's like you will try to take everything out of context to defend gw2.  Specifically when the game lags because people are spamming spells there are around 50 people on screen. 

I do not care about how many people were there when they are running around picking flowers.  I am talking specifically about when the game suffered major fps lag. 

100+ people doing nothing isn't the same as 50 people spamming spells in a concentrated area.

The rest of us have posted tons of evidence to support our points, we even included links to videos and screen shots. But you are still not satisfied with this. Now its your turn to provide some goddamn evidence.

Where does it suffer from major fps lag with only 50 people? I want a link to a video and the exact time-frame. If you cannot come up with such, then your claims are unsubstantiated and you are trolling; as such I won't hesitate to (finally) report you to the admin.

Originally posted by therez0

The rest of us have posted tons of evidence to support our points, we even included links to videos and screen shots. But you are still not satisfied with this. Now its your turn to provide some goddamn evidence.

Where does it suffer from major fps lag with only 50 people? I want a link to a video and the exact time-frame. If you cannot come up with such, then your claims are unsubstantiated and you are trolling; as such I won't hesitate to (finally) report you to the admin.

He is refering to the end of gamescon party, where every player sat on a hill, and then started a huge fight. The density of players and spells was beyond the scope of what we'll see in gameplay. Never mind the engine isn't finished :P 

He is refering to the end of gamescon party, where every player sat on a hill, and then started a huge fight. The density of players and spells was beyond the scope of what we'll see in gameplay. Never mind the engine isn't finished :P 

I know he is, and the rest of us (myself included) posted links to the videos and images of the event and then proceeded to count the participants, but he still insists that we didn't get/find the segment he is referencing. So now the burden of proof is upon him. He needs to nut up or shut up.

I also pointed out in a previous post that according to his "sources" the game still has a year before release, and that even if it is the number of people he is saying, there would be massive amount of time for engine optimization. He of course ignored that post completely.

I know he is, and the rest of us (myself included) posted links to the videos and images of the event and then proceeded to count the participants, but he still insists that we didn't get/find the segment he is referencing. So now the burden of proof is upon him. He needs to nut up or shut up.

I also pointed out in a previous post that according to his "sources" the game still has a year before release, and that even if it is the number of people he is saying, there would be massive amount of time for engine optimization. He of course ignored that post completely.

His sources amount to voices in his mind :) The people most likely to know information are higher ranking members of fan site like gw2guru (since they have the oppurtunity for direct communication with arenanet staff), and they don't know either. Unless robertdinh works at arenanet he knows nothing.

Man do I love you people, even Kenny Powers Dinh.

Though I would ask that if RobertDinh has legitimate concerns about GW2 that he lists them, with evidence to back them up. I would gladly read that - and please retread if you need to. Also, try to avoid calling people dumb, or implying that they know nothing about the game while you are doing it. Act professional, and list all your concerns and people may treat you like the professional you seem to claim heritage to.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

Though I would ask that if RobertDinh has legitimate concerns about GW2 that he lists them, with evidence to back them up. I would gladly read that - and please retread if you need to. Also, try to avoid calling people dumb, or implying that they know nothing about the game while you are doing it. Act professional, and list all your concerns and people may treat you like the professional you seem to claim heritage to.

Indeed, it is all we wish robertdinh to do, rather than just keep trolling out the same unfounded 'concerns' for several months. I say concerns, but it is very obvious that he hates the game for some unknown reason, and wants to make every minor 'bug' in alpha code look game breaking, or create fantastical situations where the game would break, despite being provided with evidence that such situations are impossible.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Indeed, it is all we wish robertdinh to do, rather than just keep trolling out the same unfounded 'concerns' for several months. I say concerns, but it is very obvious that he hates the game for some unknown reason, and wants to make every minor bug in alpha code look game breaking, or create fantastical situations where the game would break, despite being provided with evidence that such situations are impossible.

I remember reading that on games forums that are now rotting in a pit.

Well heres the deal, in theory - RobertDinh has amazing concepts for a constructive discussion. He brings up latency in a brand new game that advertises large scale combat, he brings up everyone's bias based on impressive but doctored for your viewing pleasure early videos, he brings up not believing everything devs tell you which is what most people are doing.

However...

His presentation makes him seem incredibly bias himself, nearly everything he says is passive aggressive and grating. Not only that, he never cites his sources that he claims to have.

And... one of his arguements that is quite rediculous is that well... he knows more than everyone else about popular MMORPGs and Guild Wars 2. It maty be true, but everything he says points otherwise.

I would LOVE to have one of Robert Powers alleged constructive conversations but, with two sides on equal footing - not one side is smarter than the other because of some kind of delusional conspiracyesque opinion of right and wrong. It will never happen, mark my words.

It's mainly because he doesn't offer constructive arguments, just 'this is true!111!!1!', and when we show that it's either unlikely or blatantly not, he'll either wait for a few pages and start again or just won't reply and continue some argument with someone rather than argue any point beyond repeating the point. It's a theist argument structure (think creationists) and one that does not belong in the real world.

The points he brings up are justified and are worth considering, but always (thus far) have some flaw which we are quite happy to point out, but he fails to comprehend any other points of view apart from his own. Plus with absolutely no indication of any experience in any field or any sources, he is just downgraded to troll.

My post history should show that I am just as gungho about pointing out his flaws as you, but I believe a little credibility should be offered to him. If he decides to articulate his point via what we have presented him with in the last few posts then I say let him. If he continues to call people stupid and say how much better he is than everyone in the world - We will continue to throw him under the bus.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Whilst i am looking forward to GW2 i share concerns about lag in large scale combat. Mainly because of my experiences in other games like WAR and Aion. By large scale i'm not talking about 100 vs 100 but 400+ vs 400+.

I remember the first city seige on our server in WAR when every man and his dog showed up......there were hundred and hundreds of people as far as you could see. I died, waited a few mintues for the resurrect from my mates shaman, got bored so resurrected back at camp and ran back to the battle which took at least 5 minutes, then a couple of minutes later got the original resurrect from the shaman appear on my screen.

From my understanding GW2 has a single big castle in the middle of the WvWvW zone that will be fought over so i imagine it will be where the majority of fighting takes place. I am just not sure the technology is up to making this experience an enjoyable one. Not only GW2's servers but the world wide network backbone we all rely on that Anet has nothing to do with. 

• GithernGithern Member Posts: 79

I love the article, but man you'd think the Post can afford to take a grammar and spelling comb through their e-articles. Thanks for the great link OP!

Originally posted by Mykell

Whilst i am looking forward to GW2 i share concerns about lag in large scale combat. Mainly because of my experiences in other games like WAR and Aion. By large scale i'm not talking about 100 vs 100 but 400+ vs 400+.

I remember the first city seige on our server in WAR when every man and his dog showed up......there were hundred and hundreds of people as far as you could see. I died, waited a few mintues for the resurrect from my mates shaman, got bored so resurrected back at camp and ran back to the battle which took at least 5 minutes, then a couple of minutes later got the original resurrect from the shaman appear on my screen.

From my understanding GW2 has a single big castle in the middle of the WvWvW zone that will be fought over so i imagine it will be where the majority of fighting takes place. I am just not sure the technology is up to making this experience an enjoyable one. Not only GW2's servers but the world wide network backbone we all rely on that Anet has nothing to do with. 

There are several castles :)

But apart from that the map is divided up into sections (whether or not the zones are visible zones or just server zones remains to be seen), so the load can be more evenly distributed across the servers. The designers have anticipated player counts of around 1000v1000 overall, so i'd imagine the servers processors can handle the stress, especially since the whole game is being designed around quite demanding encounters. Most of the battle for keeping lag as low as possible is not so much in the servers but the coding anyway, and i expect arenanet are up to the challenge. if not, why did they bother to be ambitious when initial tests would have shown it not working? :)

However we cannot see one way or the other until the beta, which i hope appears soon!

The major concern seems to be mainly about video lag in this thread, but the instances we've seen so far only indicate that notable framerate dips only happen when battles are extreme dense (50-60 people in the size of a swimming pool), but we don't know what hardware or settings arenanet was using. For all we know they could have been using gtx260 or tri crossfire hd480's (although we do know it was nvidia cards due to their partnership)! But since the original guild  ars ran very well and this game is based on the same engine, i can't see it being too much of an issue overall.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

But apart from that the map is divided up into sections (whether or not the zones are visible zones or just server zones remains to be seen), so the load can be more evenly distributed across the servers. The designers have anticipated player counts of around 1000v1000 overall, so i'd imagine the servers processors can handle the stress, especially since the whole game is being designed around quite demanding encounters. Most of the battle for keeping lag as low as possible is not so much in the servers but the coding anyway, and i expect arenanet are up to the challenge. if not, why did they bother to be ambitious when initial tests would have shown it not working? :)

However we cannot see one way or the other until the beta, which i hope appears soon!

The major concern seems to be mainly about video lag in this thread, but the instances we've seen so far only indicate that notable framerate dips only happen when battles are extreme dense (50-60 people in the size of a swimming pool), but we don't know what hardware or settings arenanet was using. For all we know they could have been using gtx260 or tri crossfire hd480's (although we do know it was nvidia cards due to their partnership)! But since the original guild  ars ran very well and this game is based on the same engine, i can't see it being too much of an issue overall.

WAR had 3 keeps in each RvR zone but most of the fighting took place at one keep at a time. If i've learned one thing about the zerg its that it likes to stick together no matter how much developers might try and entice it to break up and go after multiple objectives.

GW may have ran well but it was an instanced game with no large scale pvp. People thought Mythic would be able to handle it since they had previous experience with DAOC yet it never panned out. Until i play it myself i'm going to remain sceptical that anyone can run 1000v1000 battles with minimum lag.

WAR had 3 keeps in each RvR zone but most of the fighting took place at one keep at a time. If i've learned one thing about the zerg its that it likes to stick together no matter how much developers might try and entice it to break up and go after multiple objectives.

GW may have ran well but it was an instanced game with no large scale pvp. People thought Mythic would be able to handle it since they had previous experience with DAOC yet it never panned out. Until i play it myself i'm going to remain sceptical that anyone can run 1000v1000 battles with minimum lag.

Indeed, i expect the crap servers to try and zerg, but then they get beaten horribly and then less player play from that server :D

It's basically a large scale version of alliance battles from guild wars 1. You can zerg, but you won't win since you'll lose your resources and the main camps will be overrun while the huge zerg trolls around somewhere useless. That's what will prevent huge scale zergs going on as AB has shown in the past that there will always be at least half of the team who know what they're doing enough to not zerg with the rest :D

Still, it'll be cool to see huge battles if it doesn't lag too much!

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Indeed, i expect the crap servers to try and zerg, but then they get beaten horribly and then less player play from that server :D

It's basically a large scale version of alliance battles from guild wars 1. You can zerg, but you won't win since you'll lose your resources and the main camps will be overrun while the huge zerg trolls around somewhere useless. That's what will prevent huge scale zergs going on as AB has shown in the past that there will always be at least half of the team who know what they're doing enough to not zerg with the rest :D

Still, it'll be cool to see huge battles if it doesn't lag too much!

my experience has been in a situation 200 vs 500+ ; bet on the one with the "+"

this comic explains it with better visuals;

I need more vespene gas.

Lol, it's different in guild wars though, 12 vs. 4 is definitely possible to pull off even in the original, and the sequel seems like it'll place even more reliance on player skill and teamwork (guild wars 1 had a heavy skill emphasis too, which meant even terrible players could use a flavor of the month build and do ok). Personally i can't wait to tear apart zergs with my guildees :D

Lol, it's different in guild wars though, 12 vs. 4 is definitely possible to pull off even in the original, and the sequel seems like it'll place even more reliance on player skill and teamwork (guild wars 1 had a heavy skill emphasis too, which meant even terrible players could use a flavor of the month build and do ok). Personally i can't wait to tear apart zergs with my guildees :D

Yeah, but the original had a derv and that was the ultimate form of anti-zerg. Well, that or eles with move buffs ganking the shit out of your base while the rest zerg'd--but thats a different tactic entirely.

So for GW2, the greatsword is, I guess, what replaces the scythe for AoE melee so if you see zerging happening, swap to your greatswords and have your eles channel some AoE control spells.

Also, in the Guild comic, with their assets, that team of four could not have won; but if one of them was a nuker, totally do-able. Just have the nuker lay down an AoE as a distraction while the rogue takes out the priests and the archer puts out pressure damage.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

@ Falfair: Lol, damn that comic is brilliant! Thanks.

As for the difference between WvWvW & WAR RvR:

1. 3 Factions

2. Different size BOs: Eg solo, squad, platoon, company and zerg (rofl) size BOs. Ideally this should randomize "encounters" in addition to the golden zerg of Factions PvP, as well as 3 factions also.

3. Same problem of player density in PvE and WvW to overcome, so GW2 really needs to solve this problem which they admit very candidly to (good sign). But agree "wait and see" policy.

It's mainly because he doesn't offer constructive arguments, just 'this is true!111!!1!', and when we show that it's either unlikely or blatantly not, he'll either wait for a few pages and start again or just won't reply and continue some argument with someone rather than argue any point beyond repeating the point. It's a theist argument structure (think creationists) and one that does not belong in the real world.

The points he brings up are justified and are worth considering, but always (thus far) have some flaw which we are quite happy to point out, but he fails to comprehend any other points of view apart from his own. Plus with absolutely no indication of any experience in any field or any sources, he is just downgraded to troll.

Nailed. See above post.

Also: See post 94 to see why your arguement is still terrible Robert, there are more than 100 people there. I don't care that "on screen 50 casting spells" is what you are referring to, that's wrong.

It's wrong because even watching it again... it's almost like the latency is lower when people are casting spells. Which... hurts your credibility. Please read some of our above posts, your credibility is zero and why you even still post here is questionable at this point without answering those questions.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

It is closer to 50 than 100 people on screen casting causing video lag.

blah, blah, bitch, moan....

As I said before, you can tell yourself whatever you want but the video speaks for itself, massive video lag when around 50 people in a concentrated area spam spells. 

Just like Robert says, there's definitely about 50 players in that farewell video. ^_^

Farewell