Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled account = loss of free time.

2»

Comments

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Originally posted by Blacknd

I actually defended this game vehementaly during the first couple weeks because I felt reviews were not giving the game a chance and judging it on very early stuff.  Turns out level 1-10 is the best part of the game and there is basically NOTHING new to it besides some story quests every 5 levels.  That is just awful.

I remember LoL  I can imagine watching a bunch of people post negative comments about a game to look a little suspicious but what we have here with this particular game is a special case where it took less than 2 weeks for the majority of players to decide they had what you lovingly refer to as a SS. 

There are quite a few tune changers around and more on the way I suspect.  We greet these new voices of truth with sincere condolences and are sorry for their loss.  [of money]

I agree the analogy fits perfect. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

It really tastes like a Philly Cheesteak to you?  Really?  Not at all like a shit sandwich?

SE was the first company in MMORPG history to not only award a full free month of totally free playtime, but the first to award it not for server downtime or the game being unplayable, but quite specifically because the game is bad.

So at this point, you're eating a shit sandwich, SE is telling you straight up it's a shit sandwhich, but you insist it's a Philly Cheesesteak.  I don't know what to tell you.  I mean, why do you think you got the free month?  Just because SE is nice?

In any case, there's no reason to be defensive about it.  If you like it now then you're surely going to love it in a year when it becomes fun for everyone else and they actually put content and fun things to do into the game.  By then it will have passed gone from:

Shit Sandwich (current state)

Shit Sandwich with mustard on top (Nov update)

Shit Sandwich with mustard on top and a limp dill pickle side (Dec Update)

"Oh sorry Sir, I thought you ordrered the Shit Sandwich.  Here is your actual order, the Philly Cheesesteak" (1st expansion, summer of 2011)

It's all a matter of perception. I knew I was ordering a philly cheesesteak when I bought it, and that's what I got.

In November it will be a cheesesteak with cheese whiz

In December it will be a cheesesteak with cheese whiz and mushrooms.

In a year it will be a cheesesteak with cheese whiz, mushrooms, and grilled onions.

I honestly feel bad for you. You ordered a [whatever sandwich you happen to find delicious], ended up getting [whatever sandwich you happen to find delicious], and after a few weeks ended up thinking it tasted like a shit sandwich. You got jipped, bro.

But hey, look on the bright side, at least you have probably ~40 more days of free sandwiches.

.. But in a good way.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

It really tastes like a Philly Cheesteak to you?  Really?  Not at all like a shit sandwich?

SE was the first company in MMORPG history to not only award a full free month of totally free playtime, but the first to award it not for server downtime or the game being unplayable, but quite specifically because the game is bad.

So at this point, you're eating a shit sandwich, SE is telling you straight up it's a shit sandwhich, but you insist it's a Philly Cheesesteak.  I don't know what to tell you.  I mean, why do you think you got the free month?  Just because SE is nice?

In any case, there's no reason to be defensive about it.  If you like it now then you're surely going to love it in a year when it becomes fun for everyone else and they actually put content and fun things to do into the game.  By then it will have passed gone from:

Shit Sandwich (current state)

Shit Sandwich with mustard on top (Nov update)

Shit Sandwich with mustard on top and a limp dill pickle side (Dec Update)

"Oh sorry Sir, I thought you ordrered the Shit Sandwich.  Here is your actual order, the Philly Cheesesteak" (1st expansion, summer of 2011)

It's all a matter of perception. I knew I was ordering a philly cheesesteak when I bought it, and that's what I got.

In a year it will be a cheesesteak with cheese whiz, mushrooms, and grilled onions.

I honestly feel bad for you. You ordered a [whatever sandwich you happen to find delicious], ended up getting [whatever sandwich you happen to find delicious], and after a few weeks ended up thinking it tasted like a shit sandwich. You got jipped, bro.

But hey, look on the bright side, at least you have probably ~40 more days of free sandwiches.

i think in this case.. the only perception in question, is whether you can tell the difference.. between cheese and ... fecal matter..  the number of people who can't fortunately don't number very highly.. or is that perhaps unfortunately ? at least as far as Squenix are concerned, its hard to imagine how SE managed to totally screw up their own flagship game, and so badly.. it really is beyond a joke, though obviously a lot of jokes are being made about it - i can only see that getting worse... one thing you have to give to Blizzard, if they know a game is going to tank badly, they can it.. and this pile definitely falls into that category.. because its not just the fact that its not up scratch as a game, its the fact that the results now cast doubt on the company as a whole.. so now we have the possibility that this might be the last ever FF game.... and given their last attempt, which was a poor game also, no matter how much spin is put on things, might not be a bad thing. Maybe this is the last wakeup call for SE to get their 'cheese sandwhich' together...image

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

No - he ordered a cheesesteak and got a shit sandwich. He couldn't tell it was a shit sandwich from looking at the bread on the outside, but once he took a nice big giant bite out of it, he was surprised to find it filled with shit.

He was literally one of the biggest fans of the game and the game's systems. He was all over the place supporting the hell out of the game and praising it to the point of official fanboism. Somewhat like what you are doing now.

But then, almost like some practical joke that went way too far, he found that his cheesesteak was indeed full of shit. And there are a lot of other people that found that nice juicy surprise as well. There are still some shit sandwich lovers and supporters out there, but most people are slowly backing away wondering why there is a stinking pile of shit sitting in front of them in between two slices of bread.

• TheEmpyrealTheEmpyreal Member Posts: 65

2 girls, one FFXIV box.  

Someone, make it happen.

Originally posted by colddog04

No - he ordered a cheesesteak and got a shit sandwich. He couldn't tell it was a shit sandwich from looking at the bread on the outside, but once he took a nice big giant bite out of it, he was surprised to find it filled with shit.

He was literally one of the biggest fans of the game and the game's systems. He was all over the place supporting the hell out of the game and praising it to the point of official fanboism. Somewhat like what you are doing now.

But then, almost like some practical joke that went way too far, he found that his cheesesteak was indeed full of shit. And there are a lot of other people that found that nice juicy surprise as well. There are still some shit sandwich lovers and supporters out there, but most people are slowly backing away wondering why there is a stinking pile of shit sitting in front of them in between two slices of bread.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he tried the beta? I'll also say that he probably enjoyed it, at least enough to make a personally informed buying decision.

So he either bought a game that he didn't enjoy (shit sandwich) and then played it, or he bought a game that he DID enjoy (whatever sandwich he likes) and after a few weeks, found that he didn't like the way it tasted anymore (turning it into a shit sandwich).

Either way, he knew what he was ordering, as did I. I'm sorry that you all feel like my philly cheesesteak tastes like shit though, but it honestly doesn't bother me as long as it keeps tasting delicious to me.

.. But in a good way.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I did play Beta, but I expected the released game to be improved from the Beta.  Call me crazy to expect a released game to be much better than a Beta.  SE helped with that expectation by saying they were withholding much of the game for release.

The game is clearly in a Beta state right now, and probably will be for another 6 months or so.  If your argument is that this game is exactly the same as the Beta version, I'm going to say that's not a very good argument in support of the game.  I certainly DID NOT expect to be playing a Beta when I spent 70 bucks on the game.  There's no way I would've spent 70 bucks on a Beta, nor should anyone.

I think the game could be fun in 6 months with a major update or expansion.  Not now though.

Also, based on my experience with FFXI, I expected the game to just get started at level 15.  This game basically ends at level 15 and just repeats until level 50.  It's all about mimicing auto-attack by spamming a button to get random skillup points on wildlife (or spamming a button for standard synth for 4 hours to get one level in a craft).  It's mind-bogglingly horrible.  Every other MMORPG in history treats the first 10 levels or so as a training period to get you used to the mechanics.  The entire FFXIV game is like a training ground, there is no real game yet.

I've read on other forums of people reaching level cap on physical and rank.  Well, great.  They spammed a button more than most people.  But it would be real hard to say they played a game. 

Your argument might be better served if you refuted my points about the game itself rather than pointing out that I gave it too much of a chance. 

I did play Beta, but I expected the released game to be improved from the Beta.  Call me crazy to expect a released game to be much better than a Beta.  SE helped with that expectation by saying they were withholding much of the game for release.

The game is clearly in a Beta state right now, and probably will be for another 6 months or so.  If your argument is that this game is exactly the same as the Beta version, I'm going to say that's not a very good argument in support of the game.  I certainly DID NOT expect to be playing a Beta when I spent 70 bucks on the game.  There's no way I would've spent 70 bucks on a Beta, nor should anyone.

I think the game could be fun in 6 months with a major update or expansion.  Not now though.

Also, based on my experience with FFXI, I expected the game to just get started at level 15.  This game basically ends at level 15 and just repeats until level 50.  It's all about mimicing auto-attack by spamming a button to get random skillup points on wildlife (or spamming a button for standard synth for 4 hours to get one level in a craft).  It's mind-bogglingly horrible.  Every other MMORPG in history treats the first 10 levels or so as a training period to get you used to the mechanics.  The entire FFXIV game is like a training ground, there is no real game yet.

I've read on other forums of people reaching level cap on physical and rank.  Well, great.  They spammed a button more than most people.  But it would be real hard to say they played a game. 

Your argument might be better served if you refuted my points about the game itself rather than pointing out that I gave it too much of a chance. 

I guess I should apologize then for your assumption that the release version of the game would be vastly improved over the beta you tried weeks prior to release. I try to walk into games without building them up in my mind, I find it makes for an overall more enjoyable outcome.

I'm not making an argument for the game, this thread wasn't even about making arguments for or against the game as it stands from a content perspective. The only argument I am making is against the high-and-mighty attitude that jilted ex-players have adopted, all under the excuse of "Oh, we're just warding off others from making a bad decision."

Sure, you didn't enjoy the experience, for X, Y, and Z reasons. That's fine, discuss away, but going as far as to say "LOL anyone who still plays this likes eating shit" is just childish. Intelligent discussion and arguments are one thing, but that was thrown out the window a while ago.

If there is one thing I dislike about this website and these forums, it's that when a new game releases, people will try it, bash it (which I can deal with), but also end up bashing those that still play it because they felt jilted by their personal experiences with it, and then try to sound like they have been enlightened by their experience and everyone still playing has yet to come to their superior conclusion.

I understand that misery loves company, but that's a bit too much.

.. But in a good way.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I guess I should apologize then for your assumption that the release version of the game would be vastly improved over the beta you tried weeks prior to release. I try to walk into games without building them up in my mind, I find it makes for an overall more enjoyable outcome.

I'm not making an argument for the game, this thread wasn't even about making arguments for or against the game as it stands from a content perspective. The only argument I am making is against the high-and-mighty attitude that jilted ex-players have adopted, all under the excuse of "Oh, we're just warding off others from making a bad decision."

Sure, you didn't enjoy the experience, for X, Y, and Z reasons. That's fine, discuss away, but going as far as to say "LOL anyone who still plays this likes eating shit" is just childish. Intelligent discussion and arguments are one thing, but that was thrown out the window a while ago.

If there is one thing I dislike about this website and these forums, it's that when a new game releases, people will try it, bash it (which I can deal with), but also end up bashing those that still play it because they felt jilted by their personal experiences with it, and then try to sound like they have been enlightened by their experience and everyone still playing has yet to come to their superior conclusion.

I understand that misery loves company, but that's a bit too much.

Well, I never said "LOL anyone who still plays this likes eating shit".  You read that into it.  I gave my opinion of the game, shared by many, and you obviously took it personally.

• justandulasjustandulas Member Posts: 165

Well, I never said "LOL anyone who still plays this likes eating shit". You read that into it. I gave my opinion of the game, shared by many, and you obviously took it personally.

So implying that I enjoy eating shit isn't personal?

You ran with the analogy a little too far to do an about-face and feign being passive as opposed to passive aggressive. If you're going to attack somebody, just grow a pair and do it directly, because this passive aggressive pansy BS you have going on is laughable when you try to play it off like you're just being a nice guy and just sharing a harmless opinion.

See why it's a bad analogy now?

His analogy is fine, it is your perception of it that is warped and way too self centered. Basically at this point, the entire video gaming world has called FF14 a giant shit sandwich so if you have a problem with implying the game is absolute dog shit that is your own personal problem. We all like things that are bad whether they are cheesy tv shows, a movie that none of your friends like, or this masterpiece of dogshit. He didn't imply that you like shit sandwich, you did. All he did was say that FF was a steaming turd, which it undoubtedly is. You can like something bad but being offended because someone spoke how bad it was is way off base. You may hold your opinion in too high a value, just because you like the game doesn't mean it isn't one of the worst video games ever made, and thats perfectly fine to like it to each their own, but the game is the worst MMO to ever launch (No question, the reviews say it all and its worse then APB, i played APB) and will be heralded in the all time video game hall of shame next to superman 64 and other 'illustrious' titles. Your opinion and how much enjoyment you get out of the game is perfectly fine and I support you liking whatever game you want, but don't try to sell us a shit sandwich and tell us it tastes like a philly cheesesteak just because you happen to like to taste of the worst MMO to ever hit a shelf. SE is no doubt a dying star (won't be quick, it will be slow and painful) and their projected number losses for the year point to a steady decline in their products, and quality of late.

Originally posted by justandulas

Well, I never said "LOL anyone who still plays this likes eating shit". You read that into it. I gave my opinion of the game, shared by many, and you obviously took it personally.

So implying that I enjoy eating shit isn't personal?

You ran with the analogy a little too far to do an about-face and feign being passive as opposed to passive aggressive. If you're going to attack somebody, just grow a pair and do it directly, because this passive aggressive pansy BS you have going on is laughable when you try to play it off like you're just being a nice guy and just sharing a harmless opinion.

See why it's a bad analogy now?

His analogy is fine, it is your perception of it that is warped and way too self centered. Basically at this point, the entire video gaming world has called FF14 a giant shit sandwich so if you have a problem with implying the game is absolute dog shit that is your own personal problem. We all like things that are bad whether they are cheesy tv shows, a movie that none of your friends like, or this masterpiece of dogshit. He didn't imply that you like shit sandwich, you did. All he did was say that FF was a steaming turd, which it undoubtedly is. You can like something bad but being offended because someone spoke how bad it was is way off base. You may hold your opinion in too high a value, just because you like the game doesn't mean it isn't one of the worst video games ever made, and thats perfectly fine to like it to each their own, but the game is the worst MMO to ever launch (No question, the reviews say it all and its worse then APB, i played APB) and will be heralded in the all time video game hall of shame next to superman 64 and other 'illustrious' titles. Your opinion and how much enjoyment you get out of the game is perfectly fine and I support you liking whatever game you want, but don't try to sell us a shit sandwich and tell us it tastes like a philly cheesesteak just because you happen to like to taste of the worst MMO to ever hit a shelf. SE is no doubt a dying star (won't be quick, it will be slow and painful) and their projected number losses for the year point to a steady decline in their products, and quality of late.

Oy.. So you brought that inane and baseless "SE is dieing" crap to this thread as well. Alright.. They're not but here it goes..

So when a guy says "Sounds like you're defensive about eating a shit sandwich," he actually wasn't saying I ate shit? I don't see another way to perceive that.

Yes, it's a knock on the game, and we all know how much the majority of this forum loves to knock on games that slight them, but the initial problem with the analogy is not only is it a knock on the game, but it is a very thinly veiled insult to everyone who plays it. Whether you fail to see that or not is irrelevant.

I think it's you who hold your opinion too high. "Worst game ever made," yet you're here discussing it, then lieing about reviews saying that they agreed with your opinion and lauding it as fact. The reviews from most of the respectable gaming sights generally agreed that the game needed to marinate for a while longer before it was market ready, none of them claimed it to be the worst game or even the worst MMO ever. I would go out on a limb as to say they might claim it to be one of the worst launches, but that in itself is a matter of perception, and a previous failed launch stings a lot less than a current one. Even if 5 of them [i]had[/i] stated up front "This is the worst game ever released EVER[/i]," you technically have 6 people's opinions. That's it. You're pretty good at hyperbole though so I'm sure you can roll with that.

.. and I'm also not trying to sell you the game. I've stated before I could give a damn if you actually play it, and at this point I actually feel a bit joyous that you feel you were slighted by buying it.

To the poster above you, using the ignore function as an excuse to be an asshat typically doesn't fly in a public chat medium or forum.

.. But in a good way.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by choujiofkono

An option to kill your cd key?  Genius.  What good would that be to either party?  Is it able to be entered by another party or by the same subber at a later time?  If not then I find the fact that it exists to be completely moronic. 

Actually being able to kill the account entirely would be a welcome option for a few other MMOs I have played. With one account over a year after I cancelled I was the victim of a "billing error" in which they billed me for 6 months of service. Two other companies are constantly sending me spam about their terrible games even though I unsubscribed to both the game and their emails since every time they give me free time for a win back they reactivate all of the stupid newsletters.

Having the option to axe all ties with a company can definitely benefit the consumer, but the difference between cancelling the service only and cancelling the entire account entirely must be made clear. 

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

This thread has gone too far offtopic. Remember the RoC before posting. Always. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.