Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay must ALWAYS come first before graphics

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes, good gameplay is the most important thing for any game, But I don't see why it cant be combined with good graphics.

Blizzard is not really that much for gameplay before graphics, but well coded games uses less resources than badly coded ones and Wow is really old by now, 6 years to be exact.

Gameplay does not depend on graphics and while good gameplay is a must that is not really an excuse for old crappy graphic.

• ajvegaajvega Member Posts: 10

I just bought a new rig,6 core amd 1090T,crosshair iv 890fx mobo, ati 5870. First thing i did was resub station access for Vanguard to test it out. WoW and gameplay? really?

• weezmeweezme Member Posts: 15

yeah.. the one I just quit.  FFXIV.

num num

• anigousanigous Member UncommonPosts: 113

Still man, if FEZ had a better GUI, Graphics, and Skill/Class options... People would be on that like white on rice.

The animations/graphics are so badly done, I want to cry and avert my eyes.

Note to Square Enix, take(or buy, I dunno who has the rights) FEZ, fix it up, release it and call it "Final Fantasy XIV".

JUST SAYIN'

"i have a lvl 26 maplestory warrior lvl 9 asda story archer and a adventure quest mage lvl 15 and my xfire is my bro's"

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Games are for gameplay, certainly, but WOW's art style is equal parts stylization and performance.

Blizzard is typically pretty smart in that their games run well on older rigs -- the higher your system requirements, the less players are capable of playing your game.

One might argue that a game performing well is part of gameplay, but whatever your take on that it's clearly smarter to design games that lots of players can play than ones where only people who've bought a high-end computer can even enjoy it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by cyphers

good gameplay + good graphics > good gameplay + bad/mediocre graphics

It's an equation. If a game looks like shit, then the gameplay better be stellar to compensate.

If the game looks awesome, but the gameplay sucks majorly, then it's still a bad game.

If the gameplay has passed a certain acceptance threshold, then other things will start to count, among them visuals.

You say it man...

I mean seriously..Better gameplay makes up for a better game and better graphics make up for a better game, that's all there is to know. The time is coming that players won't be seeking the mediocre anymore. It's not impossible for a game to have both.

As for my prespective, the graphics also add up to the gameplay...I don't separate those 2 anymore.

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by cyphers

good gameplay + good graphics > good gameplay + bad/mediocre graphics

It's an equation. If a game looks like shit, then the gameplay better be stellar to compensate.

If the game looks awesome, but the gameplay sucks majorly, then it's still a bad game.

If the gameplay has passed a certain acceptance threshold, then other things will start to count, among them visuals.

bad/mediocre gameplay + good graphics > bad/mediocre gameplay + bad/mediocre graphics

People will still play a bad game as long as it looks pretty, and its all a matter of personal opinion. I prefer games with good gameplay, and I can look past some bad/mediocre graphics if the game is fun. I play Minecraft, I play it more than AAA titles because AAA titles look shiny, but have mediocre gameplay mechanics. Fallout New Vegas is a good game, but it suffers from the hideous problems of the Gambryo engine, at least its a major step up above Oblivion and Fallout 3, which, frankly, while oblivion was very pretty for its time, was absolute GARBAGE as a RPG, it should have been sold as an Action/Adventure game, because unless you modded the everloving crap out of it, it was a horrific experience for me to endure. Sadly, console gamers have brought with them an acceptance of the mediocre in gameplay as long as its pretty and shiny, and hyped up enough that the cattle belive it is good because they are told so. We must endure this storm of Bloom, high definition, high graphic tsunami of excrement and drown in the mediocre gameplay, and pray that when the tidal wave of shit has receded, we can find a rare gem of a game left on the beach and have fun.

To everyone, I must say that I love Minecraft, it looks like a game from the 1990's, but there is fun to be found if you can get over your graphics whoredom and play, but that is my opinion.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I think different games have different appeals. A game like Farcry was very revolved around its sumptious graphics, while a game like Metal Slug gets by on its gameplay (though also its graphics style). Additionally graphics do matter, otherwise we wouldn't be upgrading our consoles everytime a new one comes out, and would have stuck with our Amstrads or Master Systems.

• ArnstrongArnstrong Member Posts: 281

And visuals and art style always prime "the number of pixels".

Examples: Monet, Picasso, The Flintstones, Pokemon, Warcraft...

Their consistent art style and visuals are the basis of their success.

That's why Wow beats most so called "realistic" MMo's: a painted wall stays a painted wall: just be consistent.

• nedoxnedox Member Posts: 99

I think reason why MMO's with good graphic fail with gameplay is that you can hire graphic proffesionals any time any number. But there is only a small number of people in industry who can see the "full picture" of game and create the full storry.

vps hosting-My VPS hosting choice || web hosting-My Web hosting blog

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Oldtimers like myself have a tendency towards caring most about gameplay but the truth is

They are both equally Important today. There was a time where anything better than asteroids graphics was considered an upgrade for us older players. Potential buyers today looks at the flash, the videos and the screenshots before purchasing titles and in that, the graphics matter just as much

Certain genres like sandbox games are different. They cater to a different crowd that would happily settle for crappy visuals as long as they get some sand and a shovel (see minecraft as an example) but that's not the norm today.

As when choosing a partner. Most of us want looks as well as a good personality. Some will happily settle with one over the other however. Same goes for choosing games

• withintemptwithintempt Member Posts: 75

I agree and kind of agree with the original poster. Even though a game like Chrono Trigger doesn't have good graphics, the gameplay and story is awesome. I have played games where the graphics make a big difference. I play a lot of F2P games and there's a lot of mindless grinding, but having good graphics helps with that. For Allods Online, the gameplay and graphics runs really well on my computer and it's kind of "fun" to level up since everything looks pretty cool.

So I guess gameplay and graphics go hand in hand.