Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a female character as a guy?

Comments

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Oh hell yes! you know how many dumbasses I fooled in Asheron's Call 2 pretending to be a chick, got so much free stuff and powerlevelling. :D

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I've made several female toons in the different MMOs I've tried. I don't see anything wrong with it unless, like someone said earlier, you're intentionally trying to pass as a member of the opposite sex. If you're lying about it, or have some pervy reason for it, then that's an issue I guess.

My main is almost always a male, but will choose a female for alts to get a bit of variety in sounds, animations and appearance.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by lunatis

Some people say that it's very bizzare to play as another sex in an online game, do you think it's simply fun and for the look, do people take this too seriously, or is it linked to an identity problem?

Identity problem? What the hell....

It's a game. Why do people keep asking this question as if it really matters. I know males who play female toons and I know females that play male toons. It's a digital character in a game. It's no big deal and doesn't matter one way or another. Identity problem...that has to be the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

I have always enjoyed playing with female avatars in many cases, and will continue to do so. Especially if all the available male avatars in a game look like bodybuilders on steroids (Doesn't this ring any bells, WoW?) and I want to play an archer/caster. 

There is an exception, however. And that is for heavily armored characters. For some odd reason, I just don't enjoy the idea of playing a chick in heavy armor. Thus, my tanks are almost always male.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

My first character was a femal toon due to a gender restriction of the Fury class in Shadowbane. I found it funny at first, but then I grew tired of it.

My mains are always male characters. Sometimes I'll roll a female alt, but that's about it. It's easier to get the feeling of immersion when you can identify yourself to your avatar.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Zookz1

Yeah, why not? People who think it's some terrible social taboo are the same people who think the devil created rock and roll, or marijuana turns you into a serial rapist. I'm sure some evangelical Christian would be more than happy to tell me I'm going to hell for playing a furry in FFXI.

hey man i take offense to that dont stereotype us (christians), now on the op's topic i play male characters because im male and generaly prefer to play as what i am. i think i made one female character once ever in like city of heros or something, have no problem with that either (obviously). but i think its just a matter of preferance and a bit silly to get in a dabate about whether there is anything wrong with people woh do or dont play their gender in an online game.

(and zookz again please dont generalize like that besides next time a christian says that you can remind them all you have to do to go to heaven according to their faith is to believe in jesus and repent then walk away as they get frustrated)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I have and I do play female avatars. It's not necessarily because I like to look at a woman.  I do it for variety, for a sense of making a unique avatar. There just aren't as many female hobbits created as there are male ones. I don't get turned on watching a female hobbit go about the duties of a hero. I also try to choose female names most women wouldn't choose for themselves like Grizelda.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Mykell

You could say people who closely identify with an online pixilated avatar have a problem with taking things too seriously.

Most mmo's don't follow a story line where it really matters what sex you pick unlike say Dragon Age with their romantic companions. I've played female characters in mmo's but wouldn't think of it in games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect and probably won't in SWTOR or GW2 since its looking like story will play an important part in those mmo's.

Even the ones that do follow a story. its not your story its your characters story, your character is wahtever you want it to be, male female, whatever.

For all those people playing giant lizardmen, or ogres, or whatever other mythical race, do you still have the same gender bending issues? is it still even relevant at that point?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Whatever. As long as you don't do anything creepy it really doesn't matter to me.

Pretending to be a girl and have cybersex with a someone is creepy.....

Besides that, it is just a game so who cares?

I don't give a damn who my guildmates are IRL, I just want to have some fun playing a game and as long as people are not total @sshats I have no problem playing with them, no matter what sex, skin color, religion, sexuality or whatever. Not that I care much about that IRL anyways, but a game is a fantasy and it is the characters who matters, not the the people behind them.

Only players I heard of that really cares are people who either are desperate and sad enough to try picking up ladies in a game (heard of a bar?) or people enjoying cybersex with strangers.

Wasn't the last "Big bang theories" a little about this subject? When Howards girlfriend walked in while he was cybering with a female troll, who in fact were a dude.

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

i was thinking the same as above. only the cyber sexers and pickup artists would care

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Sure.

If you are comfortable with your gender orientation, play whatever you like the aesthetic of.

If you are so insecure about your gender or orientation that it causes you anxiety to play the opposite gender in a game, check with your medical insurance or local free clinic, there are probably counseling options.

If you are uncomfortable not knowing what gender other players are in an online game, and you want to know so you can treat people differently based on sex, congratulations you are sexist. The good news is you can keep playing online games and not meet people in the real world, this will save you and others time and frustration.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I usually make male toons, and by usually I mean always, unless I have no choice.  Weird, I can play a green hobgoblin but I can't crossdress. Except on Halloween. And maybe on some other holidays.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I typically play girls exclusively, unless there happens to be a really cool male character type that would perfectly fit a concept.  I love the aesthetics and frankly, I'm far more invested in female characters than male ones.  I'll lose interest in a male character quickly but I find that I'm more interested in seeing a girl kicking ass, so they tend to have a lot more longevity.

I don't care who is sitting at the keyboard when I play games.  Male characters are males and female characters are females.  That's good enough for me.  On the other hand, I'm very careful about getting into situations where gender might become an issue.  Not everyone is as open-minded as I am, so one should be respectful of that.  If it looks like things might be meandering in a 'personal' direction, I'll shatter their dreams pretty ruthlessly.  Most reactions are "Oh, OK", but sometimes people get a little flippy.  But as a previous poster put it, Adult Friend Finder is [/point] that way.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

No, never

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• toarantoaran Member Posts: 6

i always play one female char ... i dont want to look the whole time on a "man's"  back ...

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Personally I go with the sex that I feel fits the class I choose the best. I tend to make toons that focuses highly on agility into females and strength based toons into males. Magical classes is abit so and so but usually male.

I get a picture in my head when I read about the classes and tend to stick with it. Naturally i´m all for playing whatever you want but I don´t use games as a way to "hook up" or care very much wheater that person in my group is male or female for that matter. Have fun and play the game pretty much.

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Oddly enough, my main is usually male, and most of my alts are female.  It's like I make a harem of alts.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• franelpanafranelpana Member Posts: 4

I play guys most of the time, like a guy said earlier, i feel more identified with  a male character than a female, i don't roleplay or anything but i don't get that feeling of me being a "hero" if my character is a girl. The guys that say that they like looking at a girl are either pervs or don't get out of their computers and see real women (sorry if i offend someone). One good thing that girls have is that in many games, they have better-looking gear or avatars, sometimes on a girl the gear looks awesome because its more stylish or tigh and on a guy it just makes him look fat because they try to make the character look all big and strong.  

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

nope.  why would i?  to look at her ass?  lol sorry but that's kinda perverted, and a little sad too.  >.>

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by Tazlor

nope.  why would i?  to look at her ass?  lol sorry but that's kinda perverted, and a little sad too.  >.>

Oh now there's a revelation ... everybody thats ever played Tomb Raider is perverted ... lol

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

I'm usually about 50/50.  I'm one of the few that actually like to RP, and it's kind of easier to RP when I'm a female character... kind of a reminder to always be in character.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by summitus

Oh now there's a revelation ... everybody thats ever played Tomb Raider is perverted ... lol

not quite.  you're FORCED to play a female in tomb raider.  in most every MMORPG you have the choice.

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Sure, I'd play a female as a guy.

But , when I do it's usually for aesthetics.

Two games I can recall where I played a female often over a male were City of Heroes and World of Warcraft. In City of Heroes there are often a few costume pieces I would be putting into a costume on a male character and think it looked silly, but I really liked the costume piece.

So, I'd try the piece on a female character and wow, I'd make an awesome costume that really made me want to keep playing the character.

In WoW, most of the times I felt that the females simply had a better design than the males. For example, I really enjoyed playing night elves, but I really hated my male night elf rogue's big floppy ears, huge hands, overly long arms, and massive feet.

The female night elf has annoying long ears, but at least they didn't seem to be floppy like the males. The female night elves as had better porpotions in their arms, hands, and feet which looked way better to me. Not to mention that a female night elf warrior looked pretty awesome in some of the end game gear. Also, the battle stance for a female night elf seemed more dramatic and had a lot of flair in comparison to the male.

Most of the female races looked better overall, some much more than the males, some equally good, and then very few not as good as the male designs.

It all comes down to how males and females look in varying gear and things like that. The more leeway I have to design my own look the less often I find myself playing female characters since I can make a male character that looks awesome in my eyes.

• RedluciferRedlucifer Member Posts: 112

imo this thread seems like a lot of single guys wondering if there is something wrong with fact that they are getting turned on by a female avatar..............play what you like, but maybe try getting some RL TnA to stare at instead of wanting it from a video game....

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by summitus

not quite.  you're FORCED to play a female in tomb raider.  in most every MMORPG you have the choice.

Well I was only joking ... but hey loads of guys  play with female toons or girls play with male toons ... I'm sorry but I disagree its in no way perverted , they are just games dude .  ;)