Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to try out STO

travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

I'll start off by saying I'm a SWG, AO, AC2, EQ1, DAOC vet (among every single other MMO out there, those are just the ones I stuck with for a while). Yeah, I consider those the glory days of MMO gaming. However, unlike most of the SWG/EQ1 vets out there, I've learned to accept the fact that those days are long gone. These days, I'm open to any style of game. I believe that any style of MMO (sandbox, theme park, etc) has the potential to be good but isn't necessarily good by default based on it's style of play.

What can you tell me about STO before I head on into my trial? Anything I should try during the trial / anything I should be weary of? I don't want to hear from the "STO is such a shitty game bla bla bla troll troll troll" crowd. I want to hear from those of you that actually play and enjoy the game.

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Personally I think you should hold off with this game and see what happens.  CO just went F2P and it's made by the same company and was received with better results than STO was.  Therefore, odds are this title will be going F2P in the near future.

CO has just passed it's one year mark and went F2P.  I think STO hits the 1 yr mark around Feb. of 2011.

Steam: Neph

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Nephaerius

Personally I think you should hold off with this game and see what happens.  CO just went F2P and it's made by the same company and was received with better results than STO was.  Therefore, odds are this title will be going F2P in the near future.

CO has just passed it's one year mark and went F2P.  I think STO hits the 1 yr mark around Feb. of 2011.

That would be the best thing that could happen to this game,  Then the devs could justify why they make more stuff for the C-store than content or fixing bugs.

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

For the love of all that is good and right in the world.....DON'T DO IT!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by travdoty

I'll start off by saying I'm a SWG, AO, AC2, EQ1, DAOC vet (among every single other MMO out there, those are just the ones I stuck with for a while). Yeah, I consider those the glory days of MMO gaming. However, unlike most of the SWG/EQ1 vets out there, I've learned to accept the fact that those days are long gone. These days, I'm open to any style of game. I believe that any style of MMO (sandbox, theme park, etc) has the potential to be good but isn't necessarily good by default based on it's style of play.

What can you tell me about STO before I head on into my trial? Anything I should try during the trial / anything I should be weary of? I don't want to hear from the "STO is such a shitty game bla bla bla troll troll troll" crowd. I want to hear from those of you that actually play and enjoy the game.

I remember reading somewhere they were doing a combat revamp on ground and space, If I wanted to try it, I will wait untilthis revamp is done, becouse right now it feels lacking, or at least it did feels like it on open beta.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well if you are doing trial, you will pretty much see what the game has to offer and should be able to see pretty much all ofthe mechanics in place.  While you play, take note of things that bug you and check their dev posts on the official site to see if it's on the list of things for them to improve.  Also,..during your trial I would stay away from this particular forum because you will most likely not get any of the positive info or feedback you are looking for.  You will just see the same handfull of people who only post negative stuff here. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Think of the game as a SPG co-op and it may be fun for awhile. Turn on auto grouping if you ever want to interact with anyone. And expect all instances all the time. And if you can make it to your first ship. The ship choice starts to make a difference. Before that, space combat is all the same.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I have not played STO much since beta. The ship to ship combat can be fun; if you are interested in that, then you might want to also look at Pirates of the Burning Sea. It also has good ship to ship combat, and a pretty decent crafting/economy.

Cryptic is not known for good RPG elements in a game, they make more action oriented games. If you want simplistic action, then STO could be good for you; if you like more complicated character and story development, then perhaps a different game is worth looking into.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Don't bother , if you're patient you can play the whole game when it goes free to play in 6 to 9 months. There will also be more content by then and probably slightly more satisifying experience for you.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

here are my ideas about the game that id like to share:

1-With all due respect, dont look at the forums here very often if ur enjoying the game, as it might suck the ''fun'' right out of you.

(SOME complaints here are totally validt ! (such as the c-store) while others are mostly exeggerated, IMO

2-While playing the tutorial, remember that the game later on becomes more ''open'' and multiplayerish....

BUT STO is still basically like a single player game WITH MULTIPLAYER COMPONENTS, instead of a multiplayer game WITH INSTANCES,

3-..........so if ur looking to hang out with some other people, do missions, and beam down to planets to blast some baddies, explore some systems, and scan some anomalies, do a few diplomatic missions, all the while gathering, promoting and training a skilled set of bridge crew members for your uber-customized capital ship of destruction, trying to detect and blow the crap outta some cloacked klingon players in pvp..........THAN THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU,

BUT if you are specifically looking for a ''True MMO experience'' you might be disappointed... umm very disappointed.

4-dont worry too much about making the perfect character when creating him/her as you can change pretty much all their looks etc once ur in game too... (HA! try doing that in Aion, heheheh :D )

5-Just have fun and if u have any questions about gameplay, dont hesitate to ask in-game, as MOST (if not all) players are rather nice peeps.

6-and dont worry about learning the ropes, the game is'' ''kinda'' ''deep actually(AT LEAST when we think about all the ship/crew and character development that you go through to increase your efficiency in both space and ground combat and pvp), BUT it has a very gradual learning curve AND UNLESS you set the difficulty slider to the MAX, its very forgiving :)