Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

They may gain more players this way.

Chamber of Chains
  • HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

Good thing I didn't buy the lifetime subscription

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Hathi

Good thing I didn't buy the lifetime subscription

And whys that? they get the exact same thing they payed for, nothing changes for them just like in Lotro.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

lol who didn't see this comming :P and it will go free to play about the time DCUO launches. 

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

bew bew bew and another one bites the dust.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by rmason

bew bew bew and another one bites the dust.

Your confusing FTP with not existing.

And yes, just because you dont like FTP doesnt magicallu change it at all.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

lol who didn't see this comming :P and it will go free to play about the time DCUO launches. 

Well I think that was the point trying to keep people playing and staying away from the competition.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Personally,  I like this new trend of sending sub-par games into the f2p market.  I could actually see myself playing this one while waiting for some other AAA releases.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Seems like a good move, they need to breath some new life into this game and if DDO and LoTRO are any examples, this is a sure fire way to get people to try/return to an underperforming game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Good. Now it might attract more players and it gives options to people waiting for some major releases.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by bartillo

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/10/26/champions-online-to-become-free-to-play-in-2011/

I guess at the end of the day this is a good move for them but this is a terrible game (IMO) so I personally won't be paying it any more attention than I do when they are charging a sub fee, now maybe when STO goes free to play I may be willing to take a look under that hood but this game does not bring me back to my comic book days in any way shape or form so this one they can keep.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

Not convinced this will do much for the population, the games ability to retain players is still highly suspect...brillilant avatar and dreadful gameworld are not a good combination even for free. Atari and Cryptic will need to comit to some serious development still to keep it appealing.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Woopin

Well I think that was the point trying to keep people playing and staying away from the competition.

I know, but when I said on these forums that CO would go free to play when DCUO starts to hit the scene I basically got a lot of "nuh uh, SOE sucks and CO is fine and won't be going free to play ever" lol. Was just my little I told you so post. 

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

It's a good idea.  More kids will try it as a super-hero free-realms type of game.  It was never worth a life-time or monthly subscription as much of a non-massively-multiplayer simplistic lobby-system, pve, single-player-esque game that it turned out to be.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

F2P or B2P which ever you prefer... Guild Wars 2 will reign surpreme. Unlike these games GW2 is built with this model in mind .. they games were not but felt they needed a change in strategy for one reason or another. GW2 is ahead in this regards and knows how to do it right.

Just because I'm a fanboi doesn't make it any less true. ^^

Oh and Champions Online is decent enough that if it was F2P maybe I'd play it till GW2... but wasn't about to pay for a subscribtion.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

All games as heavily instanced as Champions Online is should be F2P right out of the box.   Especially when they're already charging micropayments along with subscription price!  I look forward to it and hope this turns out to be a good move for Cryptic Studios.  I don't hate the game, but I never really felt it was particularly worthy of subscription.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by natuxatu

F2P or B2P which ever you prefer... Guild Wars 2 will reign surpreme. Unlike these games GW2 is built with this model in mind .. they games were not but felt they needed a change in strategy for one reason or another. GW2 is ahead in this regards and knows how to do it right.

Just because I'm a fanboi doesn't make it any less true. ^^

Oh and Champions Online is decent enough that if it was F2P maybe I'd play it till GW2... but wasn't about to pay for a subscribtion.

GW2 and your love for it has little to nothing to do with this topic, this is a super hero game and GW2 is not, your logic makes sense if and only if every single mmorpg player played them just to play an mmorpg but that is not the case.  I'm going to try GW2 but I won't play it any more than I did GW1, I just know they make good quality games and I tend to buy them no matter what.  But for those who want to play a super hero game is who Cryptic is making the mmove for they are trying to get f2p ready to launch around the same time as DCUO (which is not going to help much if at all).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

this will definitely be a good f2p title i would never pay for it but i would enjoy playing for free

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

A last ditch effort from a failed game. Anyone who wants to argue with this look at it this way, City of Heroes was their first game, it has been around since mid 2004, BEFORE World of Warcraft, it had a MAXIMUM of 200k members at one time, yet its still pay to play. Champions Online has been out for 1 year and 1 month and it is going free to pay! That is a failing game.

Mystery Bounty

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by Woopin

I know, but when I said on these forums that CO would go free to play when DCUO starts to hit the scene I basically got a lot of "nuh uh, SOE sucks and CO is fine and won't be going free to play ever" lol. Was just my little I told you so post. 

I praise you for you foresight.  Can you tell me the lottery numbers for tonight?

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

I liked the option of having kits to make your champion resemble a comic book archetype

I wonder if they'll have the Caped Crusader or the Demon Killer? (For you folks not savy on hinted at names that would be Batman & Spawn)

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

well, one the the most expect mmo franchise (read, guild wars 2) is free to play...

and for being F2P it didnt ruin the game at all

guess for being F2P the game will attract more players to experince the game for then start "invest" money on it

LOTRO player

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

F2P =/= B2P, so don't throw a GW2 comparison out there. IMO it is above these games relying on the word "free" to get players, B2P relies on box sales, not on cash shop sales (with all the traps that come from your revenue depending on players spending money on the cash shop you need to make it necessary at least for players looking to be above the average level of competition/gameplay/dedication).

Anyway, this seems to be the only way to get underperforming MMOs to stand any chance. This isn't going to be always like this though, as even that market will grow saturated, MMOs are still long term games, unless these are going to be turned into short fun experience bursts cash shop lures.

I find it ironic that CO was turned F2P while CoX remains. It's like Cryptic failed at their basic goal - making a new MMO to be at least better than their first one.

• Sanity888Sanity888 Member UncommonPosts: 185

This is pathetic.

The one thing they changed about the game, having no Archtypes, and now if you want to play for free you have to be in one? It's a sell-out to get people playing, and then they'll get owned by players who have the Gold Membership and subscribe because of that.

But I haven't even tried Champions Online yet so I don't have much to say about it really. I have played City of Heroes, though, and if it is true that City of Heroes are getting rid of Archtypes, they already made Champions Online obsolete. All I ever hear is that CoH has more content than CO, and to me I'm spoiled by WoW so when I think about WoW's level of content and CoH level of content I just feel like there is no comparison. CoH has very little content compared to WoW. BUT CoH had funner gameplay and character creation. :/

• jfk35824jfk35824 Member Posts: 81

I figured this would happen eventually, and I'm glad.  They need to get this f2p setup out of the gate pretty soon though. If the launch co-incides with the launch of GW2 then i won't bother with CO.