Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure..... thought I loved the game.

Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Good Day,

First off I am not a hater or a Fan boy. I purchased the game, and have enjoyed it so far. I think I have hit a wall...... I suddenly am wondering what there is to do.... leve's go to quick, and grinding, while I don't mind it, is difficult due to finding things to kill. I am not much of a crafter.... and played FFXI for a long time.

I am hoping someone here that really does enjoy the game can give me some insight to something I am missing.... cause I really am wondering what to do.

Thanks

Averros

Comments

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Averros

Good Day,

First off I am not a hater or a Fan boy. I purchased the game, and have enjoyed it so far. I think I have hit a wall...... I suddenly am wondering what there is to do.... leve's go to quick, and grinding, while I don't mind it, is difficult due to finding things to kill. I am not much of a crafter.... and played FFXI for a long time.

I am hoping someone here that really does enjoy the game can give me some insight to something I am missing.... cause I really am wondering what to do.

Thanks

Averros

Your missing out on the crafting an harvesting. if you played 11 then picture this: why would you need to craft or harvest when you can buy everything off the Auction House? ff11 came out a year to the US so a lot of US players did this. Why? because the economy was already built by japanese before US players touch the game. Pretty soon it will happen again here but its a huge part of the game if you check it out. takes long just as it takes to level a combat class. They are actually jobs also. It will provide you with income also an you can help others with repairs when you have a craft. :) the effort it takes to get certain items are pretty big. but once there is lots of people doing this you might have never noticed it.

• FlaebFlaeb Member Posts: 91

Same boat my friend, I really want to play and love this game, but it isn't happening. I'm just not motivated in logging on and playing, I hate gathering, and I hate crafting, it's just not my style. I enjoy adventuring, socializing, partying and killing things. Although there is lots of that, I still have no motivating in logging on even when I'm in a great linkshell.  I guess this game isn't meant for me, what a shame really....

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by wizyear2099

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

Your missing out on the crafting an harvesting. if you played 11 then picture this: why would you need to craft or harvest when you can buy everything off the Auction House? ff11 came out a year to the US so a lot of US players did this. Why? because the economy was already built by japanese before US players touch the game. Pretty soon it will happen again here but its a huge part of the game if you check it out. takes long just as it takes to level a combat class. They are actually jobs also. It will provide you with income also an you can help others with repairs when you have a craft. :) the effort it takes to get certain items are pretty big. but once there is lots of people doing this you might have never noticed it.

I think he's saying he's not really that into crafting, which is understandable considering many gamers simply aren't that into it. 

So basically he's looking for things to do besides having to resort to crafting. 

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

No lie on the crafting and harvesting. You can go hunt down glowing spots on a map that's SO realistic. Then you can play the same mini-game for hours to gather random junk that 50% of which has  nothing to do with what you're trying to do, which is SO realistic. Then when you're driven mad at trying to hit catch a circle or a wedge shap in just the right.. Oh it fails on it's own which is SO realistic. Then you get to mindlessly switch your gear, slowly manage your inventory, and then pick the proper phrase over and over to LIKE VIRUTAL REALITY REALISTIC make something exactly how the 90 people around you made it.

The crafting system sucks to any extent; and if you're like me and not much of a crafter anyway- I'd rather spend 9.99 once and buy a SIMON memory toy.

I'm still hoping they add worthwhile content soon and when they do I'll give this game a look again.

• LastChimeLastChime Member Posts: 107

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

Depends on what level you are really, there's missions that unlock at 1,10,15 and 20 and more after not sure haven't got that far. Other than that group up with some ppl and go after some big game (again this depends on your level).

If your solo, stick to killing greens, it's the most efficient, anything above that is designed for a larger group and will not give as good of a skill/xp return for the amount time invested generally.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

I think he's saying he's not really that into crafting, which is understandable considering many gamers simply aren't that into it. 

So basically he's looking for things to do besides having to resort to crafting. 

get a group an go kill everything lol if he doesn't like this. what else do people do in mmoprgs lol?

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

I have taken all DoW and DOM jobs to 10+, and I have done some crafting and decided I just don't have the patience for it. As for gathering professions... I don't mind them too much... except fishing which is maddeningly mind numbing. I am 20 physical. I love grouping with people, but most of the time it feels the same as soloing.... and skills gains aren't always as good. I don't know maybe I am just bitching for the sake of bitching... it just feels as of late MMO's just cannot hold me anymore.

EQ1 - Not my first MMO, but definately the one I enjoyed most.

FFXI - Loved this game, played ALOT

WoW - Boring and never really could get into it... friends kinda suckered me into playing.

most others: played for a few months and just left.

Perhaps I expected too much from FFXIV, I figured it would be more like FFXI with updated graphics, some new story, the new leve system... and consist of more than 5 zones. I am just feeling disappointed. I'll figure it out, and either keep playing, or shelf it for a year or so. SE has shown they CAN improve, now it is just matter to see if they WILL improve.

Averros

I have taken all DoW and DOM jobs to 10+, and I have done some crafting and decided I just don't have the patience for it. As for gathering professions... I don't mind them too much... except fishing which is maddeningly mind numbing. I am 20 physical. I love grouping with people, but most of the time it feels the same as soloing.... and skills gains aren't always as good. I don't know maybe I am just bitching for the sake of bitching... it just feels as of late MMO's just cannot hold me anymore.

EQ1 - Not my first MMO, but definately the one I enjoyed most.

FFXI - Loved this game, played ALOT

WoW - Boring and never really could get into it... friends kinda suckered me into playing.

most others: played for a few months and just left.

Perhaps I expected too much from FFXIV, I figured it would be more like FFXI with updated graphics, some new story, the new leve system... and consist of more than 5 zones. I am just feeling disappointed. I'll figure it out, and either keep playing, or shelf it for a year or so. SE has shown they CAN improve, now it is just matter to see if they WILL improve.

Averros

well there is more to explore but at 20 why? i just personally eat up what i can handle atm no need to chew off higher than you can handle. everything is is 1 shot heaven lol. i was doing duos an 3 man teams yesterday having fun :) the game is fresh tho :P 1 month an ff11 8 years... 8 years is a lot. eq also theres like 20 expansions now.. yea u can shelf for a year or just progress with it taking what is there now an using it. I know more stuff is gonna come in myself but i wanna be able to do the stuff being past some of it actually :D so i can make a killing amount of gil.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I'd personally shelve it and see what comes about in the next year.

If you do continue to play you'll just need to find a decent Linkshell or group of people to play with.

Even mindless grinding can be O.K. with the right folk around.

Many people in my link dont even bother with leves unless they give marks or unique gear.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Maybe the game just isn't very good?

I know its hard to believe coming from a company like Square... but you gotta call it like it is.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

get a group an go kill everything lol if he doesn't like this. what else do people do in mmoprgs lol?

Not as feasible as it is in other MMO's. Mobs aren't really plentiful enough and Guild Leves go by fairly quick and have a timer before you can do them again from my understanding at least. 

So getting a group and going out to kill things works in other MMO's, not so much here. 

• CorresCorres Member Posts: 132

come on. get into a ls that does big mobs (i'm talking lvl 50) and get stuff done. down some big mobs (nm's not there yet) but you can get some fine stuff outta it and it's fun like hell.

Originally posted by Corres

come on. get into a ls that does big mobs (i'm talking lvl 50) and get stuff done. down some big mobs (nm's not there yet) but you can get some fine stuff outta it and it's fun like hell.

seriously guys we lets level up shall we ? XD

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

After leves your only "content" will be pure grind without any disguise. In FFXI, a lot of what you did consisted of grinding in a group for hours and hours and hours from 1-75. At the time, I didn't mind it and I actually looked forward to grouping with my static to level, but I simply don't care for that style of play anymore. That aside, simply going out and exploring the world was exciting. There were a bunch of missions, boss fights (BCNMs), and getting class specific gear called Artifact Armor. Vana' diel was exciting; it felt alive; every zone had it's own "soul." It's so hard for me to believe the same people that created that world could create such a sterile and lifeless world.

I never found myself logging into XI and asking myself what I was going to do. I was always wanting to play longer, but couldn't. It's the exact opposite in XIV. I can't get myself to log in anymore, and that is a sad statement -- I've played several F2Ps and various other bad MMOs that have held my attention longer than XIV.

In my opinion, the potential for this game is huge, but I don't play these games for what they could be. When I log in I want to have fun, and currently XIV has/lacks too much shit that gets in the way of fun.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by Zookz1

After leves your only "content" will be pure grind without any disguise. In FFXI, a lot of what you did consisted of grinding in a group for hours and hours and hours from 1-75. At the time, I didn't mind it and I actually looked forward to grouping with my static to level, but I simply don't care for that style of play anymore. That aside, simply going out and exploring the world was exciting. There were a bunch of missions, boss fights (BCNMs), and getting class specific gear called Artifact Armor. Vana' diel was exciting; it felt alive; every zone had it's own "soul." It's so hard for me to believe the same people that created that world could create such a sterile and lifeless world.

I never found myself logging into XI and asking myself what I was going to do. I was always wanting to play longer, but couldn't. It's the exact opposite in XIV. I can't get myself to log in anymore, and that is a sad statement -- I've played several F2Ps and various other bad MMOs that have held my attention longer than XIV.

In my opinion, the potential for this game is huge, but I don't play these games for what they could be. When I log in I want to have fun, and currently XIV has/lacks too much shit that gets in the way of fun.

I honestly believe I have the same problem... again as I said I don't mind grind.... I mean hell everquest 1 WAS grind.... but grinding in a group is where the fun is.

Some people have suggested a good LS... well TBH I believe I have the best LS around... great people.... always grouping/crafting etc.... for some reason though I have even found the group grinding to be dull.... again cannot place my finger on what it is... maybe the style? Maybe I miss the camp days, maybe it is the lack of variety? I am not a hater... I really love the base stuff in this game... and I WANT it, oh god, do I want it to be good... but in the end it just isn't. I feel a little heartbroken over it. Oh well, guess it is Fable III for the next little while, until I figure out what I am going to do.

Averros

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

I hear what your saying but you cna always grab an SP group go crabbing level your battle classes etc etc. I have my issues with the game (found a class I like and hit fatigue 3 days in what a pain) none the less I am not digging the gather and crafting too. Where I have fun is getting into sp group and actually using team work etc. At this point the game is new and has big problems that need fixing Se knows this. As for not having end game fact is few do at release. Not much we cna do but hope for the best from SE the product isnt that bad its just not "mature" yet. But like many have said get a good LS get a grind party and the game opens up a bit.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

Considering other MMOs, even at launch, have far more quests and content overall to partake in than XIV has... they do plenty.

What the OP seems to be hitting is what pretty much every person I know personally who started the game (about 8 of us)... the wall where you realize - one way or another - there just isn't very much to do in FFXIV, and what there is to do is restricted by arbitrary limitations.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by WSIMike

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

Considering other MMOs, even at launch, have far more quests and content overall to partake in than XIV has... they do plenty.

What the OP seems to be hitting is what pretty much every person I know personally who started the game (about 8 of us)... the wall where you realize - one way or another - there just isn't very much to do in FFXIV, and what there is to do is restricted by arbitrary limitations.

Said wall seems to hit around level 20 or so for many players, where they either decide the game is perfect for their playstyle, or just not going to cut it.

Since WOW many players are expecting a larger number of quests in their MMORPG's than was traditional in the past and it seems FFXIV was developed more along old school lines which doesn't appeal to most these days. (even us folks who liked the old school back in the day)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ziggydawitchziggydawitch Member Posts: 69

I'm not really enjoying crafting as a job...crafting was something I usually do im my spare time ingame.

This game shoulda been called Evercraft.

LS chat is all about materials...everywhere you go ppl are crafting.  Is it really gonna be a big deal to be a high level crafter when everyone's doing it....and if it's gonna be Evercraft then an AH is for sure needed.  Not sure what they're thinkin.

~Ziggy~

If a man speaks in the woods and there's no woman there to hear him...is he still lying?

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by ziggydawitch

I'm not really enjoying crafting as a job...crafting was something I usually do im my spare time ingame.

This game shoulda been called Evercraft.

LS chat is all about materials...everywhere you go ppl are crafting.  Is it really gonna be a big deal to be a high level crafter when everyone's doing it....and if it's gonna be Evercraft then an AH is for sure needed.  Not sure what they're thinkin.

~Ziggy~

That's because there are only 3 major things to do in this game: Fight, Gather, and Craft.

Noone talks about gathering because they are out doing it.. "Aw man I found a nice streak of nodes!" is about all you'll get. Or complaining about a node being jacked or something, but you get the idea. You don't have to socialize to gather.

Certainly many people don't talk about fighting because, as above, they are out doing it. They are busy doing it. You might discuss it in a current party that is out fighting together, but beyond that, you don't just stop and hit up someone else beside you that's grinding. Most people don't anyways.

Then you have crafting, which is typically done inside a player hub and requires the player to idle a lot in said social hub. It also sometimes requires you to socialize to get a material you are lacking. It's the only of the three that actually might require you to interact with another player (at this point, not sure about endgame DoW/DoM).

That's how I see it anyways. When fighting later, I'm sure people will socialize while doing it more, but right now everyone is talking within their parties or soloing.

.. But in a good way.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by WSIMike

Good Day,

Thanks

Averros

Said wall seems to hit around level 20 or so for many players, where they either decide the game is perfect for their playstyle, or just not going to cut it.

Since WOW many players are expecting a larger number of quests in their MMORPG's than was traditional in the past and it seems FFXIV was developed more along old school lines which doesn't appeal to most these days. (even us folks who liked the old school back in the day)

Personally, I've played and enjoyed games like Ryzom, which arguably has very little quest-like content. Yet, there's enough in the world, and what they have is engaging enough to keep it interesting.

I played FFXI for 7+ years since it released in the US. FFXI had plenty of quest content - even in the pre-Zilart areas. Far more than XIV has now...

I can go on listing other similar MMOs that could be argued aren't modeled after today's model, yet offered a lot more to do - even at their launch - than XIV does now.

Coming from a AAA developer like SE, there really is no excuse for that. The ratings FFXIV is getting, by players and publications/websites alike, is not un-warranted. They dropped the ball.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops