Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have this feeling...

2»

Comments

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

I think Rift and GW2 will be the ones to watch next year.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Clywd

Originally posted by Loke666

1. There will be Quests in Rift like in all other MMOs (other than FF14, hehe). But you may just ignore them and get your loot only from rifts or from pvp. Alpha testers report that the Rifts are quite addictive - sounds somewhat like that diablo-feeling.

2. I am not so sure about GW2, but Rift WILL redefine MMOs. Just my opinion, of course; we will see next year.

3. The lack of healers is something that is defintely driving me away from GW2. We will see if that concept works, too.

I think both games together with World of darkness online, and possible Tera and TOR too will change MMOs forever. Even if everyone of them seems badly which I doubt many of the features will still be used in other games.

Don't get me wrong... I think GW2 will become a great game, too. Also 'Tera and SWTOR probably will be good and fun. It's just that I don't think that GW2 will have a big influence on other MMOs. There will be Rift influencing the fantasygenre, and SWTOR will influence the space rpg genre. Guild Wars is a genre of its own.

One of the things GW2 is doing is removing the trinity from the MMO. What this basically means is that every player can be self-sufficient on their own, being able to (in their terms) damage, control (the enemy) and support (themselves or allies). Therefore no one person is "the tank"... tanking like roles can change on the fly as the situation changes. Same with healing roles... someone may be throwing buffs out to reduce damage while they're attacking as well, everyone has their own self-healing abilities, etc. What makes this more interesting is that, even though anyone can work independently, the whole is still greater than the sum of it's parts. You'll have skills that can work in combination with other players skills. Say an elementalist drops a fire wall or a static field. A ranger firing through that firewall will have fire damage added or a stun and electric damage added. So working together will make you even more powerful, but independently you're still completely capable of taking on the world (so to speak).

What will be interesting is seeing how well this catches on with people completely ensconced in the tank/healer/dps paradigm. If it catches, then it will be a major shift in MMO philosophy. If not, it won't.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by Volkon

What will be interesting is seeing how well this catches on with people completely ensconced in the tank/healer/dps paradigm. If it catches, then it will be a major shift in MMO philosophy. If not, it won't.

See, we agree. It's just that in my opinion this change to the trinity will not happen in other MMOs. But for the moment it is up to Guild Wars to prove that this concept works better than the multiclassing approach of Rift (or other MMOs).

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by endersshadow

• Ancient asks: How is the dynamic content contained in zones that are less populated ( high end zones at release ) Are they population based?

• Will Cook: We use coordinators that measure activity throughout the game world so that we can make sure to increase or decrease the frequency of events

• Will Cook: based on not only populations, but also player activity (are they bothering to participate in dynamic content today?).

So, basically, to beat the game and end the rifts... don't participate.

Interesting concept there.

Ah crap... they have tanks, healers and dps.

By your logic, I failed to beat mmorpg.com because I responded to your failpost.

Yeah... good one Bean.

I think you're missing the  point that, if no one participates in a particular event, what happens... is there a minimal state that will be maintained? Will things still progress with the "bad guys" taking over more and more of the zone until people are forced to join in or what? I just thought the way it was worded was a bit comical.

Yeah I got your point. I think you missed mine. All in good fun, I was being equally ridiculous to make a point :P

On a related note, I think its a little funny, (not sure if funny is the perfect word) that were all so critical of the actual wording. I could say "Well they meant..." and be right or wrong. But unless you expect the game devs to pay a lawyer to write out in exact legal detail what they are doing, at best we are still taking educated guesses.

But with that being said, I still think its good people are taking a critical look at this component of RIFT. 

The class building system looks Incredible but the fact remains that the Rifts themselves are largely unproven. And that in a way reminds me of WAR where there were so many great parts about the game and as it turns out the parts we didnt pay attention to, were the ones that ended up biting us in the ass.

1. There will be Quests in Rift like in all other MMOs (other than FF14, hehe). But you may just ignore them and get your loot only from rifts or from pvp. Alpha testers report that the Rifts are quite addictive - sounds somewhat like that diablo-feeling.

2. I am not so sure about GW2, but Rift WILL redefine MMOs. Just my opinion, of course; we will see next year.

3. The lack of healers is something that is defintely driving me away from GW2. We will see if that concept works, too.

I think both games together with World of darkness online, and possible Tera and TOR too will change MMOs forever. Even if everyone of them seems badly which I doubt many of the features will still be used in other games.

Don't get me wrong... I think GW2 will become a great game, too. Also 'Tera and SWTOR probably will be good and fun. It's just that I don't think that GW2 will have a big influence on other MMOs. There will be Rift influencing the fantasygenre, and SWTOR will influence the space rpg genre. Guild Wars is a genre of its own.

I get it, you like everyone else, can see that GW2 will be successful. So you agree with 99 percent of the people on this forums. Awesome.

But your assumptions about SWTOR influencing the space rpg genre? Huh?

And while RIFT is fantasy based, you exclude GW2 from a fantasy setting? Really?

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. I will not defend any game detail for detail because its a complete waste of time, but I think you should do MUCH more research than you have thus far, if you have done any at all.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Yeah I got your point. I think you missed mine. All in good fun, I was being equally ridiculous to make a point :P

On a related note, I think its a little funny, (not sure if funny is the perfect word) that were all so critical of the actual wording. I could say "Well they meant..." and be right or wrong. But unless you expect the game devs to pay a lawyer to write out in exact legal detail what they are doing, at best we are still taking educated guesses.

But with that being said, I still think its good people are taking a critical look at this component of RIFT. 

The class building system looks Incredible but the fact remains that the Rifts themselves are largely unproven. And that in a way reminds me of WAR where there were so many great parts about the game and as it turns out the parts we didnt pay attention to, were the ones that ended up biting us in the ass.

Ulitmately I was trying to show off my literary knowledge by calling you Bean... ;-)

Oderint, dum metuant.

I get it, you like everyone else, can see that GW2 will be successful. So you agree with 99 percent of the people on this forums. Awesome.

And while RIFT is fantasy based, you exclude GW2 from a fantasy setting? Really?

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. I will not defend any game detail for detail because its a complete waste of time, but I think you should do MUCH more research than you have thus far, if you have done any at all.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. Rift will bring new elements to the fantasy mmorpg, like dynamic invasions and the flexible class system. I think you agree to that.

I also can see that GW2 is trying to invent many, many things. And in my opinion they are inventing so much, that they already left the classic mmorpg genre. I just can't see wow or everquest or lineage or aion adapting anything from gw2, sorry.

Ah, another note, before calling words on me, please read my post. I never excluded gw from the fantasy genre.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. Rift will bring new elements to the fantasy mmorpg, like dynamic invasions and the flexible class system. I think you agree to that.

I also can see that GW2 is trying to invent many, many things. And in my opinion they are inventing so much, that they already left the classic mmorpg genre. I just can't see wow or everquest or lineage or aion adapting anything from gw2, sorry.

Ah, another note, before calling words on me, please read my post. I never excluded gw from the fantasy genre.

Now that I understand your point, I dont know why you made it. 

What you said in a nutshell is..."GuildWars 2 is so innovative world of warcraft will find nothing to steal." After reading many of your previous comments I can only believe your post was an obscure cheap shot at GW2. 

Btw, I am a fan of both games. 

No, I said, WoW will not find much in guild wars that is worth stealing/copying, because guild wars and world of warcraft target two different audiences, while on the other hand rift targets the same audience.

Ah, and I don't shoot games by telling that they will be pretty good and fun ;)

No, I said, WoW will not find much in guild wars that is worth stealing/copying, because guild wars and world of warcraft target two different audiences, while on the other hand rift targets the same audience. 

Maybe I had you pegged wrong.

It would be interesting to see where the playerbase came from. But personally, even though I am rooting for RIFT, the WoW fanbase will go to GW2 before RIFT, because they are all hyped out of there minds about GW2 and when I mention RIFT anywhere on the WoW forums, the only thing I hear is crickets. But RIFT is a ways off so who knows...things can change.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

It would be interesting to see where the playerbase came from. But personally, even though I am rooting for RIFT, the WoW fanbase will go to GW2 before RIFT, because they are all hyped out of there minds about GW2 and when I mention RIFT anywhere on the WoW forums, the only thing I hear is crickets. But RIFT is a ways off so who knows...things can change.

A large proportion are coming from EQ 2 and Vanguard, there is a growing level of interest from "old school" wow players that are somewhat jaded by the dumbing down since about half way through tbc.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

Your feeling you describe is eerily similar to the one I had before WAR released...

Originally posted by Silverthorn8

A large proportion are coming from EQ 2 and Vanguard, there is a growing level of interest from "old school" wow players that are somewhat jaded by the dumbing down since about half way through tbc.

Its funny you say that because while I was typing, I was thinking, wait, which WoW players are we talking about? The ones that left and dont like WoW anymore or the ones that are happy to play WoW currently?

It almost sounds like you are talking about the PVE raiding crowd.  As long as GW2 Delivers on the World Vs World Vs World I am ( in a very selfish way ) all for RIFT being a very heavy Raiding game.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Its funny you say that because while I was typing, I was thinking, wait, which WoW players are we talking about? The ones that left and dont like WoW anymore or the ones that are happy to play WoW currently?

It almost sounds like you are talking about the PVE raiding crowd.  As long as GW2 Delivers on the World Vs World Vs World I am ( in a very selfish way ) all for RIFT being a very heavy Raiding game.

There seems to be more PVE raiders than pvp players from wow, that are showing interest (at least from forum posters on the main site).

Theres a lot about the game's 5 man dungeons that are reminiscent of the vanilla wow dungeons. We're told they will be roughly 45 minute excursions as opposed to the 10-15 minute aoe-fests currently in wrath. Here's where I can see, those 'old skool' players from eq/eq2/vanguard and vanilla wow biting the hook so to speak.

I'd imagine some of the current crop of raiders may be enticed when more info on raid dungeons gets released.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Mogcat

...that this game is going to be awsome! Its sitting right in my gut and this feeling moved right through my heart invigorating it with emotion into my mind where it merged with logic...of some kind.

I've been looking at the info presented about Rift by the devs:

Rifts from opening to invasion to beating them back to closing. Looks fun and great.

Instance dungeons look awsome with the come back at 50 thing.

Classes with the combinations of it all seem well done apart from my fear of balance for PvP and even PvE. How long will it be before someone theorycrafts a ultimate dps spec out of the 8 classes in a calling for pve and pve. Hmmmm carefully Trion must tread.

PvP seems awsome, they said instances too nice and PvP and PvE servers I am so sure I heard them say that. Cause this is good giving the PvE people choice to PvE safely. I'll be on a PvP server but even as a PvP person I hate killing someone who didnt want to be in a PvP fight in the first place. It just isnt fun to them and me.

Everything else like races, story, graphics look well done.

I also like how that rift is slightly under the radar I have a feeling it will develop a nice little community and they will be a joy to play with. I just have this feeling about this game that we got something going good here.

Well, Trion is very serious about this game, the perceived game-play quality that we see in-development for a massively-multiplayer audience, the talent they've hired, and their CEO out in public talking about investing in the mmorpg market.