Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie question: How different is this from wow?

I only know this game by name, my original plan was to run out and buy it the first day since I loved bioware games, star war, and the mismanaged star war galaxies.  But upon reading this article ( http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/4631/Jon-Wood-Things-SWTOR-Isnt.html ), i cant help but feel disappointed.

How accurate is this article? Basically it's saying the star war mmorpg is just a wow clone with better polish.  Although I enjoyed my time playing wow, the game has no depth - You spend a month following the handrail to max level then character development ends and you are basically playing an action game not mmorpg waiting for the expansion that you will beat in a few weeks..  Every large game except eve online has pretty much followed this formula, gone are the days of UO/swg.  

So my question is how is star war old republic be different than a standard issue wow clone? besides "nicer" story mode where instead of kill 10x you get some candy wrap around it with a cutscene and what not.

Comments

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Simple answer is no idea yet as the game hasn't been released.

However keep reading Boiwares site for updated info.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Yes, I agree, we just don't know. I think without a doubt if you have played WOW, it won't be difficult to pick up this game and jump right in. It will most likely borrow from most of the successful parts of wow and probably several other games as well. Theoretically, it should have updated WOW graphics, yes, a better story, unlike WOW choices that affect the story much more then which faction to align to, there are hints of the enemies being smarter, like ducking for cover, running around things, etc, but to be honest we just dont know. For me, if it greatly improves WOW but still plays like it I'll be fine.

Here is a link where you can learn a ton of information about what other professional reviewers who have sampled the game think--->

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=188836

There Is Always Hope!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by gagaliya

I only know this game by name, my original plan was to run out and buy it the first day since I loved bioware games, star war, and the mismanaged star war galaxies.  But upon reading this article ( http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/4631/Jon-Wood-Things-SWTOR-Isnt.html ), i cant help but feel disappointed.

How accurate is this article? Basically it's saying the star war mmorpg is just a wow clone with better polish.  Although I enjoyed my time playing wow, the game has no depth - You spend a month following the handrail to max level then character development ends and you are basically playing an action game not mmorpg waiting for the expansion that you will beat in a few weeks..  Every large game except eve online has pretty much followed this formula, gone are the days of UO/swg.  

So my question is how is star war old republic be different than a standard issue wow clone? besides "nicer" story mode where instead of kill 10x you get some candy wrap around it with a cutscene and what not.

No disrespect to Mr. Wood, but he does not know more than you or me or anybody. A lot has not yet been revealed and even some things may be under changing. Essentially we know close to nothing about the day to day gameplay yet.

But one thing is clear, a game which costs 300 million dollar surely aims for a mass audience, which is NOT SWG or UO-like these days. Alas. I guess we have to see if this "new" type of story heavy makes up for it. I am generally open, even tho I think Bioware has made some very unfortunate design descisions by narrowing it too much for a very easy to entertain audience.

I'd say more about that topic, but that would only get me another warning or ban here on MMORPG.com. Truth will get out. It always does.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

The basic foundation of the game is the same as WoW. That means the game is a Themepark MMO with open world level based gaming, solo play, group play, flashpoints (dungeons), both open world and warzone (battleground or senerios) PvP, crafting, housing and raids.

The difference is how the leveling and character progression takes place. There will be 8 differenet classes, each having an advanced class choice at level 10 that means there will be 16 different classes. Each of the 8 class choices will have different and unique story arc quest lines, clomplete with VO, that can take you from start to level cap. But the big change from the normal leveling process is choice. You will have to chose how your character progresses. You can be evil, good or somewhere between the two. This is the aligenment of light, dark and grey. So you can kill a NPC and he is dead forever with phasing. Or you can let him live. This changes your quest path as you level.

You also have companion NPC characters you meet along your class quest path. You can use one of many companions as you level. They have VO and quest lines attached to them. They will also try to influence your choices while you quest. You can make them leave or kill some if you want.

There is a lot more, but basically it is a MMO with all the usuall MMO features found in a WoW like Themepark with a SPG RPG level story line built on top of the MMO.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 54

Ok thanks, guess we will find out more once beta starts. 

by the way, did this game really cost $300 million to make, if so i really hope they thought about long term character development to keep the players paying the fees.   Wow is focused on short term instant gratification, then for end game it turns itself into a counterstrike like action game. 

Every game since that tried to copy this formula wasnt able to hold its paybase - case in point: lotro.   On top of that, most starwar fans are a bit more demanding than wow's instant graification crowd, i dont think a month-to-level-cap type design will work here to hold the players interest.  Even for a "themepark" based design, it should do something similar to what everquest did with the alternative skills you can keep gaining.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

There are many indications they are borrowing a lot from WoW such as the group combat dynamic (holy trinity combat).  Calling it a WoW-Clone isn't fair to the story aspect of the game however.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Ok thanks, guess we will find out more once beta starts. 

by the way, did this game really cost $300 million to make, if so i really hope they thought about long term character development to keep the players paying the fees.   Wow is focused on short term instant gratification, then for end game it turns itself into a counterstrike like action game. 

Every game since that tried to copy this formula wasnt able to hold its paybase - case in point: lotro.   On top of that, most starwar fans are a bit more demanding than wow's instant graification crowd, i dont think a month-to-level-cap type design will work here to hold the players interest.  Even for a "themepark" based design, it should do something similar to what everquest did with the alternative skills you can keep gaining.

Nah, the 300 million rumor came from a disgruntled employee in a different division. The cost is around 150 million from estimates based on EA's financial records.

Bioware is hoping that they can tap their player base as well as the Star wars fans. Dragon Age sold well over three million while Kotor was over six million, even a fraction of those numbers will make for a very impressive selling game. Retention as always is a different matter. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Please STOP the WoW comparisons to every game.  WoW is not the original MMO.  It was a dumed down clone  of EQ,

• MmocountMmocount Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by grimal

Please STOP the WoW comparisons to every game.  WoW is not the original MMO.  It was a dumed down clone  of EQ,

Argue all you like. For 90% of the Western MMO playerbase, it was their first MMO. Whether there was stuff before is irrelevant. WoW comparisons have the potential to reach the most people since most of the people in the MMO scene now have played it (because WoW expanded the scene so much)

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Well, it's not out yet so it's hard to say. It's sci-fi instead of fantasy, it's star wars, and it likely WONT be a polished as wow at launch. They are largely following the wow formula at least to some degree, but most companies do. Shrug. They do seem to have some ideas for character development early on that are superior to wows and bioware tells a good story usually so that might be interesting. I don't think its fair to call it a wow clone till it launches though and you can really see the sum of the game.

Shadus

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Elikal

No disrespect to Mr. Wood, but he does not know more than you or me or anybody. A lot has not yet been revealed and even some things may be under changing. Essentially we know close to nothing about the day to day gameplay yet.

But one thing is clear, a game which costs 300 million dollar surely aims for a mass audience, which is NOT SWG or UO-like these days. Alas. I guess we have to see if this "new" type of story heavy makes up for it. I am generally open, even tho I think Bioware has made some very unfortunate design descisions by narrowing it too much for a very easy to entertain audience.

I'd say more about that topic, but that would only get me another warning or ban here on MMORPG.com. Truth will get out. It always does.

100 Million, but nice try =)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Bioware devs flat out admitted that theyre following WoW format with quite a few things. Safe to say that it will be lilke WoW but gets more teamy and more kotor-like with the quests. I expect wow stuff to be very noticeable though such as battlegrounds but the actual combat to be noticeably different.

Basically kotor + wow + swg after nge = swtor

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

First of all, being a new game, I doubt you'll 'ride the rails" to end game in a month, that might be the current design of WOW, but at launch it took most of considerably longer to develop our first characters. Same will be true here, the game world will be new and fresh and there will be lots to see, do and explore.

You shouldn't be playing MMO's just to race to end game, which btw, even in WOW does not end at 80, you're just getting started in fact, as gear acquisition takes over and is the 2nd round of progression that every player has to clmb.

You should be looking forward to SWTOR for the new experiences it can bring, particularly if you're a fan of the KOTOR IP and enjoy SCI FI games. 

It will not be EVE/UO or any other old school sandbox game that you can think of, call it a theme park if you must, I still think there will be quite a bit of fun content to experience even if it doesn't end up being an MMORPG of the ages that you stay subbed for the next 5 years. (and who'd want to, you'd miss out on GW's2, Terra, Rift and a host of other potentially great games if you did that)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MojoWillMojoWill Member Posts: 12

Different name

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Yes, and if SWTOR was a deep complex game focused on socializing and immersion, then we'd call it an EQ clone and rejoice that MMORPGs have returned. But since its just a dumbed down, linear, over instanced, single player focused online game, we'll call it a WoW clone and scratch our heads at it being called an MMORPG. 

Originally posted by Garvon3

Yes, and if SWTOR was a deep complex game focused on socializing and immersion, then we'd call it an EQ clone and rejoice that MMORPGs have returned. But since its just a dumbed down, linear, over instanced, single player focused online game, we'll call it a WoW clone and scratch our heads at it being called an MMORPG. 

You must be confusing this game with the Star Wars The Forced unleased II.  You see, this is actually on a PC with a mouse. It will not be a linear game, it will be an MMO with massive open lands with instances hopefully used appropriately. It will have the option for numerous game styles both group and single player. If you would like to educate yourself and what is known today, please visit the following sticky. Hope that helps you with your gaming choice.  "/sarcasm off".

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/264850/If-you-have-any-questions-concerning-SWTOR.html

There Is Always Hope!

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

expect a WoW clone in a star wars skin.

hope for some depth in the game. 

accept the fact that they just might be able to to produce yet another shallow and cheesy star wars product. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Troneas

expect a WoW clone in a star wars skin.

hope for some depth in the game. 

accept the fact that they just might be able to to produce yet another shallow and cheesy star wars product. 

From combat to exploration it may be similar to wow. However there's far more that goes into how an experience feels than those things. Presentation is where key differences seem to be, which could make this game feel completely different.

I'll use WAR and AOC as examples. WAR usually gets knocked far more for being a WOW clone, that's because everything down to the presentation is like WOW. On the other hand when AOC is described as a WOW clone, it's usually argued against, and not only because it's different approach to combat. Mostly because of its presentation, as well as world mechanics, which are far more like a BIoware game than a WOW clone.

TOR will have a completely different approach to it's presentation from it's spoken dialogue sequences, to it's quest presentation ( the things you'll be running around doing) as well as it's consequences. I've seen it said by those who have played the game, it's far more a Mass Effect clone than it is a WOW clone, which makes sense, as it's Bioware who is behind the games design.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

I think the talent trees, holy trinity mainstays are much like WOW. The combat in hand to hand is a more choreographed style, which from what I hear is meaningless time will tell if it uses the same cooldown system wow was using or the new system CAT is using. Ranged combat is much better. They use the if you can see it  you can shoot at it rule which is a vast improvement from wow. I also hear a rumor that the speeders and travel will be like wow fast travel, not sure about that.

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

There's no MMO made that's different from WoW.

Except maybe Second Life, but I'm pretty sure I've seen night elf hunters in there ninja rolling on loot.

Originally posted by theartist

There's no MMO made that's different from WoW.

Except maybe Second Life, but I'm pretty sure I've seen night elf hunters in there ninja rolling on loot.

oh really? Maybe you haven't seen this awesome hidden gem LOL. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it :-0  http://mao.playuj.com/EUaction/20111015_MAO_obevent/?suid=maoob21 

There Is Always Hope!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

this game is going to have a STORY that unfolds per character. That's not WoW like at all. this game is going to have player housing in the form of a spaceship. Also not WoW like. This game is going to have companion characters and a space mini game, something else very un WoW like.

Isn't this enough?!

For the rest, I sure as hell hope it IS like WoW. Mainly the controls and polish that WoW brings to the table. I love WoW but TOR looks like it will give me the best parts of WoW and add the parts I wish Blizzard would add but hasn't.

• ZaovrantarZaovrantar Member Posts: 85

They will replace the Mace of the Holy Light with a Light Sabre.

They will replace the Paladin with a Jedi Knight (but calling him young paladin).

They will replace the boars with space goats.

And they will put in the 12 collectable ears because that was cool.

The things added are NPC voices (ignoring the fact everyone reads 10 times faster than they listen).

The things added are the stories told by NPC's (ignoring the fact that MMO players don't even care).

Science Fiction is out of the mainstream news. Mr Average (and certainly Mrs Average) doesn't want to be in a space ship anymore, let alone the space ship is a static display that can't move. Space TV shows are cancelled everywhere.

Bioware produces games for consoles. Their PC market is limited to a few 100K.

It doesn't a take a genious to figure out the rest of the drama after launch.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Zaovrantar

Science Fiction is out of the mainstream news. Mr Average (and certainly Mrs Average) doesn't want to be in a space ship anymore, let alone the space ship is a static display that can't move. Space TV shows are cancelled everywhere.

Bioware produces games for consoles. Their PC market is limited to a few 100K.

Does that mean that scifi series as Halo, Gears of War and Mass Effect were a fluke too? Since scifi is out of the mainstream news?

+2 for funny 'prophetic' and visionary skills though, it was worthy a chuckle image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Statement 1: Game X plays plays a lot like wow.

Statement 2: Wow was the original mmo.

Those are two totally different statements.  The first being an opinion and the second being a incorrect.  If someone says statement 1 (as several have in this thread), it doesn't mean they imply statement 2 (which no one has said).

There are very few games that feel and play like EQ, which is why so few people compare new games to EQ.