Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only 3000 'hype-ratings'? Stop believing this will dethrone WoW.

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I just edited my hype of this forthcoming MMO, and I suddenly noticed that there were only just over 3000 hype-ratings there. Some, would not say 'many, belives that this will de-throne World of Warcraft. Well, stop living in a fantasy world. The ratings are dropping, and the more this game develops, the community gets more & more negative. Including me.

Out of those 3000 hype-ratings, how many is believed to stick, or even try, this game? Let's be nice, and say 50%. Now what number is that? 1500 players, that MIGHT be ingame, 1 month after release. When we take a look at the that number and what it could bring in, it would barely be enough to support one(!) single server. You might now want to attaack my statements, which is fair enough. But then; MMORPG.COM is the biggest MMO forum there is, and I would surely have thought there would be more people (fanbois) around here support SW-TOR more.

Even as much I would like to have another Sci-Fi that gives me same 'vanilla-feelings' like SWG did at it's release, I fully belive this SW-TOr will crash; it will be an epic fail, just like STO. Sorry to all you fanbois and other people who had eagerly expected this game; You are all in for a might dissapointment.

By these words & last editing of this game, I turn my back to this SW-TOR project, and now only a miracle would make me interested again; I dropped my hype down from a weak rating 10 to a weak rating of 3.

Happy gaming folks, & safe travels!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I have to laugh at posts that base their assumptions on the hype ratings of this forum.  The hype ratings are pretty trivial.  Basing any assumptions off of them usually results in failed logic.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Compare the number of ratings for World of Warcraft. It has no where near the projected 2 million American players.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Point me those guys that claimed this will be a WoW-killer. The statement is getting lame. Only WoW can kill WoW, much like SWG did to itself.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

WoW has total of 9000 ratings. So assuming your calculations are correct, only 4 500 people have tried WoW.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

First of all I will like to reply that I am not discussing how people rate this game, I am talking about the amount of ratings.

Can the amount be compared? I belive it can. We all know that World of Warcraft is the biggest cash-cow with it's 13 million players, and it's still growing at a tremendous speed scuking up all on it's way. When we look at World of Warcraft's amount of ratings here, 9000ish, it is "only" 3x more. We could not expect SW-TOR to get 1/3 of the size of World of Warcraft just due to that SW-TOR has 1/3 of the ratings, which means 4 million players.

As far as I see it, people who do not like World of Warcraft are on an eternal journey until they find the same pleasure as World of Warcraft players have; they have no need to prowl forums like MMORPG.COM cause they have more than enough that keeps them busy ingame. This goes the same for me. I am here a quick trip just because there seem to be some server errors that prevents me to log in. So I decided to have alook at SW-TOR meanwhile. Not much improvement to see; the game seem to steady decline as closer it gets to release.

Do not think I am any "anti-SWTOR" fanatic; I ahve eagerly awaited this game. I never found any SCI-FI game that was comparable to SWG pre NGE; I hoped SWTOR would be the one.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

This is true because all the mmorpg players brose this forum. just look at the 50million users online. Oh wait...

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Vrika

WoW has total of 9000 ratings. So assuming your calculations are correct, only 4 500 people have tried WoW.

And WAR has 2000 ratings, so that means that the population of WoW is only 4.5x WARs, i guess WoW isnt so dominant after all.

O

OMG! EQ2 has over 5000 ratings! that means wows pops is only twice that of EQ2!

Originally posted by chrisel

Even as much I would like to have another Sci-Fi that gives me same 'vanilla-feelings' like SWG did at it's release, I fully belive this SW-TOr will crash; it will be an epic fail, just like STO. Sorry to all you fanbois and other people who had eagerly expected this game; You are all in for a might dissapointment.

So, you want them to release a boring, buggy bland and empty game at release whos only saving grace at all was the proff system? And the fact it was SW? sorry, some of us would like a game thats good.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204

The idea of dethroning WoW is a fundamentally flawed concept. 

Developers stopped caring about dethroning WoW after Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online failed in that very task. Those MMOs clearly had a mandate to topple WoW, and when it got to the point where they realised it wasn't possible.... it was too late to salvage them.

So these days developers are moving in the direction of trying to carve their own market out of the general population. WoWs playerbase consists of largely fresh gamers, brought to the title through word of mouth and friends. WoW has created its own market space; it certainly wasn't their before. Certainly developers attempt to cater to disenfranchised WoW players looking to jump ship, but overall they've got over the idea of annexing WoW players and moved on, in the direction of creating something of their own.

Their are over 250 million gamers in the North American market and an equivalent number in the European market. Only 9-10 million of those gamers play WoW. That means that there is a receptive audience or around 240 million gamers in NA alone that MMO developers could, should be targeting if they want to sell well. On top of that their is the fact that MMOs are generally fare more accessible to the masses these days, so the idea of bringing in new gamers is not so far fetched as it is with other area of the gaming industry.

So yeah. There is no need to target WoW for assassination because its a stupid business strategy and begs failure from the start. And developers and publishers know this now more than ever.

Could there be another MMO with multi-million level subscriber figures? Quite possibly, although I think that most MMOs in the future will be using a hybridised model, so it won't matter at all. If the F2P, B2B and MT-based payment models continue their rapid growth, and P2P continues to fall out of favour subscriber numbers are going to mean jack in the grand scheme of things.

So with that in mind, could there be a WoW killer released at any point in the future? It's highly improbable. WoW will get old, go senile and die a natural death surrounded by loved ones.

Edit: Forgive the typos and spelling errors. Tis 8am, I'm quite intoxicated and I haven't slept yet.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Originally posted by Infalible

Their are over 250 million gamers in the North American market and an equivalent number in the European market.

I stopped reading here. How many people do you belive there are living in North America really?

Their are over 250 million gamers in the North American market and an equivalent number in the European market.

I stopped reading here. How many people do you belive there are living in North America really?

There are around 600 million people in North America. Your point?

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

528,720,588 according to wikipedia

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

As of July 2008, its population was estimated at nearly 529 million people.

While the 250million people are gamers seems a bit stiff, saying you don't believe that over 250million people live in North America with global queries like Google, ready for you not to look like a dork, at your fingertips, is somewhat ludicrious and borderline delusional?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Originally posted by warmaster670

I was out by about ~50 million however. Apparently the gaming population of the US - excluding Canada, Mexico etc - was 170 million in Q4 2008/Q1 2009, but when you factor in recent console sales and the growth of casual gaming, the margins are still pretty huge, and the number is likely to have broken the 200 million mark.

As I said in a previous thread, it's 8am here, I'm quite intoxicated and I haven't slept yet ;D

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I just edited my hype of this forthcoming MMO, and I suddenly noticed that there were only just over 3000 hype-ratings there. Some, would not say 'many, belives that this will de-throne World of Warcraft. Well, stop living in a fantasy world. The ratings are dropping, and the more this game develops, the community gets more & more negative. Including me.

Out of those 3000 hype-ratings, how many is believed to stick, or even try, this game? Let's be nice, and say 50%. Now what number is that? 1500 players, that MIGHT be ingame, 1 month after release. When we take a look at the that number and what it could bring in, it would barely be enough to support one(!) single server. You might now want to attaack my statements, which is fair enough. But then; MMORPG.COM is the biggest MMO forum there is, and I would surely have thought there would be more people (fanbois) around here support SW-TOR more.

By these words & last editing of this game, I turn my back to this SW-TOR project, and now only a miracle would make me interested again; I dropped my hype down from a weak rating 10 to a weak rating of 3.

Happy gaming folks, & safe travels!

And this is relevant why?  MMORPG doesn't service every video game player let alone mmorpg player, I mean using your logic (that what happens on mmorpg is such a strong indication of what is going on in the real world) WOW would have folded a long time ago and TOR would have been changed to "SWG2:The Sanbox Strikes back" a day after they announced that the game would be built around story.

If it makes you feel any better I agree,  you are one hundred percent correct oh wise one, SWTOR will never ever pass WOW in subs, lucky for me though I don't do things just because everyone else is doing it so I still will be playing TOR when it releases (hopefully will like it and stick around a bit) and still won't be playing WOW regardless of how many more expansions they have.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

First of all I will like to reply that I am not discussing how people rate this game, I am talking about the amount of ratings.

Can the amount be compared? I belive it can. We all know that World of Warcraft is the biggest cash-cow with it's 13 million players, and it's still growing at a tremendous speed scuking up all on it's way. When we look at World of Warcraft's amount of ratings here, 9000ish, it is "only" 3x more. We could not expect SW-TOR to get 1/3 of the size of World of Warcraft just due to that SW-TOR has 1/3 of the ratings, which means 4 million players.

As far as I see it, people who do not like World of Warcraft are on an eternal journey until they find the same pleasure as World of Warcraft players have; they have no need to prowl forums like MMORPG.COM cause they have more than enough that keeps them busy ingame. This goes the same for me. I am here a quick trip just because there seem to be some server errors that prevents me to log in. So I decided to have alook at SW-TOR meanwhile. Not much improvement to see; the game seem to steady decline as closer it gets to release.

Do not think I am any "anti-SWTOR" fanatic; I ahve eagerly awaited this game. I never found any SCI-FI game that was comparable to SWG pre NGE; I hoped SWTOR would be the one.

"Do not think I am any "anti-SWTOR" fanatic; I ahve eagerly awaited this game. I never found any SCI-FI game that was comparable to SWG pre NGE; I hoped SWTOR would be the one."

This one almost made me spit soda on the keyboard,you created a post to debate some phantom posters who may hope that this game rivals wow in subs, and then you (with I assume a straight face) let it be known that you in fact have been pining away for a Star Wars game like SWG?

This defines "butt hurt" SWG refugee.  This is much like I've said to other posters you now know that from what you've read the features do not interest you so why not just not follow the game then?  Even if you play it when it launches.

Now my last concern again with this entire line of posting is who really cares?  There is one "king of the mountain" and that is WOW yet there are many mmorpgs surviving and thriving regardless and out of all the supposed WOW killers I have yet to encounter one person who quit the game they liked because it couldn't pass WOW in subs.  I mean you really seem to love WOW if you are wrong and TOR does pass them in subs are you going to then go to that game even if you really don't like it more than wow?

You guys really need to start being honest with yourself with all of this trolling, it's like having a drug addiction until you can admit you have a problem you will never be able to kick the habit.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Vrika

"Over 9000"

sorry...

OP: Obviously everyone in the entire world uses this site to hype the games they like.  Obviously we value and respect the hype number for its utterly irrefutable relevance to the success of the games we like.  Obviously I hate sarcasm.

so...yeah...by your logic and reasonable use of math, the real number of SWTOR players would the total number of wow players/3.

no reason to state the obvious here but I guess I will.  There is no way to dethrone WoW, the king without it dying and fading away.  There is no such thing as a WoW killer.  Therefore, nothing is going to dethrone WoW...But maybe a game in the future will start its own mmo empire and crush the WoW kingdom.

ah what the heck..."your new empire?!" -Obi Wan Kenobi

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by warmaster670

I was out by about ~50 million however. Apparently the gaming population of the US - excluding Canada, Mexico etc - was 170 million in Q4 2008/Q1 2009, but when you factor in recent console sales and the growth of casual gaming, the margins are still pretty huge, and the number is likely to have broken the 200 million mark.

As I said in a previous thread, it's 8am here, I'm quite intoxicated and I haven't slept yet ;D

You also need to re-adjust your figures for the EU/US player base from the 9 million down to approx 5 million, China makes up the lions share of subscribers, this was very evident when the servers where closed down and the percentage of players dropped drastically.

Also WoW only recently released subscriber numbers of 12 million subscribers, they no longer break this down to country specific. This number was only reached when they recently released WotLK in China, before that the subscriber numbers had hit a plateau aroudn the 11 million mark.

However with 12 million subscribers, with approx 5 million paying a full subscription and 7 million paying by the hr on a greatly reduced rate, Blizzard is still top dog.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

The idea of dethroning WoW is a fundamentally flawed concept. 

Developers stopped caring about dethroning WoW after Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online failed in that very task. Those MMOs clearly had a mandate to topple WoW, and when it got to the point where they realised it wasn't possible.... it was too late to salvage them.

So these days developers are moving in the direction of trying to carve their own market out of the general population. WoWs playerbase consists of largely fresh gamers, brought to the title through word of mouth and friends. WoW has created its own market space; it certainly wasn't their before. Certainly developers attempt to cater to disenfranchised WoW players looking to jump ship, but overall they've got over the idea of annexing WoW players and moved on, in the direction of creating something of their own.

Their are over 250 million gamers in the North American market and an equivalent number in the European market. Only 9-10 million of those gamers play WoW. That means that there is a receptive audience or around 240 million gamers in NA alone that MMO developers could, should be targeting if they want to sell well. On top of that their is the fact that MMOs are generally fare more accessible to the masses these days, so the idea of bringing in new gamers is not so far fetched as it is with other area of the gaming industry.

So yeah. There is no need to target WoW for assassination because its a stupid business strategy and begs failure from the start. And developers and publishers know this now more than ever.

Could there be another MMO with multi-million level subscriber figures? Quite possibly, although I think that most MMOs in the future will be using a hybridised model, so it won't matter at all. If the F2P, B2B and MT-based payment models continue their rapid growth, and P2P continues to fall out of favour subscriber numbers are going to mean jack in the grand scheme of things.

So with that in mind, could there be a WoW killer released at any point in the future? It's highly improbable. WoW will get old, go senile and die a natural death surrounded by loved ones.

Edit: Forgive the typos and spelling errors. Tis 8am, I'm quite intoxicated and I haven't slept yet.

I'm sure that the Developers of the games you mentioned would be rather disappointed that you believe their efforts where solely to "Dethrone" WoW.

I've never read anything from a single developer telling prospective players that they wish to become the next WoW killer, I have read them mention they would like to achieve the same amount of success as WoW though, perhaps your confusing the 2 subjects?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

AoC and WAR both had high hype rating, what matters if how the game is what people think of the game once it launches.

As for dethroning Wow, why would anyone try? Sooner or later will another MMO get more P2P subscriptions (not counting Wows Chinese players who don't pay a monthly fee) . F2P games like perfect world already have more players even if they are counting their sub numbers weird.

As for earning more money than Wow, I am not sure that is possible even by Blizzard. The market is a lot tougher now then when Wow released and even if you make a great game with loads of subs you have to keep all those players for many years. There I think is Wow unbeatable.

• FactFact Member UncommonPosts: 82

Thank you.

Thank you for taking the time to sit down and share this infallible wisdom with us all.

Based upon this opening thread I too, after having an interest in playing a new Star Wars game have totally abandoned all hope that it will even be a game anymore.

I've adjusted my hype to -3 and now believe that this will not actually be a game any longer, but in fact when I buy the box it will contain nothing but cabbage leaves.

FU Bioware!

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

Why do people bother to create threads bent solely on stating that ToR will fail, that it will be disastrous, that no one will play it after a month or two, that it will eventually fade into oblivion?

Do these people, like the OP, know something that I a mere mortal don't? Because unless I play a game I can't objectively state that it's either good or bad, so it strikes me as odd the amount of prophets of doom that are foreseeing the demise of ToR long before it even launches.

Just to clarify, I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to their opion ofc, but some of these posts go beyond mere personal opinion based on the the available info regarding ToR, they are strong and angry predictions of a future were the game will fail.

Just curiosity, not trying to argue against the OP opinion, I have my own and I stick by it... but again, this (like many other threads) seem to go beyond objectivity without any real proof to back up the claims being made.

Cheers

[Mod Edit]

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

First of regarding the sub numbers that have been flying around, a simple question. How many do you think actually play WoW? the full 12million accounts that were mentioned? seriously guys and gals don't be so daft, a good portion of those subs will be alt accounts.

Secondly, with regards to the OP using the hype meter as a foundation of his argument, wake up and smell real life, there are millions of gamers who don't use MMORPG and even more that probably don't bother with sites similar to this one at all.

Finally, no company to release an MMO has ever said they were gonna dethrone WoW, that kind of statement is only from people such as the OP, who live in black and white worlds where there is no middle ground. Wow is popular and that can't be denied, however it isn't everyones idea of a good game or there would be millions more subs and no one bothering with the mere thought of other MMOs. I admit i don't like WoW but do i think a game being developed will kill it off just because i like the idea of it? no.. on the other hand though if i did like WoW do i think it will be around forever? hell no, it's a fact of life that everything does die in the end.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Antaran

Finally, no company to release an MMO has ever said they were gonna dethrone WoW, that kind of statement is only from people such as the OP, who live in black and white worlds where there is no middle ground. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/ea-takes-aim-at-1-billion-per-year-world-of-warcraft-2010-2

"Electronic Arts' (ERTS) Jens Uwe Intat is "confident" his company's forthcoming MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, can "dethrone" World of Warcraft."

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Coman

Originally posted by Antaran

Finally, no company to release an MMO has ever said they were gonna dethrone WoW, that kind of statement is only from people such as the OP, who live in black and white worlds where there is no middle ground. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/ea-takes-aim-at-1-billion-per-year-world-of-warcraft-2010-2

"Electronic Arts' (ERTS) Jens Uwe Intat is "confident" his company's forthcoming MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, can "dethrone" World of Warcraft."

Couldn't be bothered to register to read the whole interview but not once did I see Jens Uwe state it will dethrone WoW on that page.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

I have started to doubt if AoC even tried to detrhone WoW. I think they just tried to hit other segment...

Hype, meters where ever they are don't tell real story, ever... So basing on those is just stupid. General marketing and such might give an indicator of some sort, not just these kind of sites, but in more broader aspect...

Still, for SW:TOR I just realy doubt it's long term viability... I think most players will play one or two stories in free month and then leave, maybe occasionaly coming back for some more... So, sustaining playerbase in long run might be serious issue...