Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has it been difficult getting your friends and family sold on this game?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

When I send people over to SWTOR  to check out the game they say....

"oh I get the story stuff, but how does it play, what are some of the mechanics, how is PvP what makes it different? Is crafting worth it? any good combat videos? skill info ect?"

uhhh i don't know yet, wait till launch

"Oh, ok"

they head Back to WoW and their interest just goes away.

I've tried to show people the videos on the site, lack of excitement is what follows. We all may enjoy it, but people on the outside don't know what to make of "Sith, My story"

Honestly, it's been a hard damn game to sell to my friends and family who actually play MMOs. Why? Because the info on this site is mostly lore based and makes people think the game is 4 years away.

We haven't really gotten any ground breaking info at all, almost all the updates are LORE related, or lore related mechanics. I appreciate their enthusiasm for their lore, story ect, but come on, not all of us are hardcore lore hounds, and like to know about button mashing mechanics, skills, crafting and pvp. Ask the average MMO gamer out there. I think they sold the game on Star Wars fans, and BioWare fans were already sold, but the site is so vague as to how the game plays it alludes most people on the outside.  They think, Oh, it’s just another crap MMO, next.

Oh, and before you think I'm trolling. look back at my post history, I've been waiting for this game longer than most of you here.
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

What's the point of getting them sold on the game before it comes out? You even made this point for me...there is a lack of info on the game right now. Wait until it launches, see how everyone reacts, then try to sell it. It's pointless until then. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by Jimmac

What's the point of getting them sold on the game before it comes out? You even made this point for me...there is a lack of info on the game right now. Wait until it launches, see how everyone reacts, then try to sell it. It's pointless until then. 

Well, the reason being is to get them interested prelaunch, before they are too wrapped up in cata. This has happened to me, if I look at a game, and it doesn't look interesting by the time it's 6 months from launch, I rarely ever look at again, till a free trial.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

Maybe people aren't getting interested because it's just not an interesting game.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by deadmilk

Maybe people aren't getting interested because it's just not an interesting game.

because, according to bioware, what makes it interesting, is the story.

you'll have to buy the game to get an idea of  how interesting it can be.  image

• deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by Troneas

you'll have to buy the game to get an idea of  how interesting it can be.  image

Yeah that too)

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Well, no, because I don't consider marketing the game to be one of my responsibilities as purchaser.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

It has been difficult. And even those that were interested have started saying they don't think it will be any good and looking else where. Sadly one even said DCUO, now I can see that as being a bit of fun for a couple months but wasn't looking at it seriously. Maybe I should?

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

My of my gaming friends have played a couple of Bioware's games over the years (we are mostly an older bunch of geeks) and some of us like me have played them all pretty much. I could care less what info they release or when, i'd say most of us will pre-order TOR just on the back of Bioware's reputation. Even if its not a great MMO i'll just treat it as a continutation of KOTOR and get my monies worth. Thou i actually have confidence Bioware will deliver a good game i'm not expecting a game that will be terribly innovative just a fun, polished game.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

Well, no, because I don't consider marketing the game to be one of my responsibilities as purchaser.

Maybe not for you, but I like to game with people I know.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

Maybe not for you, but I like to game with people I know.

Heh, one of my recent issues with sticking to a MMO is this very reason.  I enjoy it when I'm playing with people I know, it makes the game so much more enjoyable.  Yet all my friends play WOW and I'm just flat out sick of that game.

With that said I will have to point out that maybe if BioWare wasn't being so tight liped about the features of this game people would actually have something to be hyped about.  Having only a great story just doesn't do it when it comes to any video game.  Yes, a great story is the icing on the cake but I don't just want icing, there has gotta be some fluffy cake to go with that icing.

The lack of any real info and the boring combat vid's just do not make me think "hey, at least its got a great story and killer voice overs".  I'm going to need a lot more convincing then just a BioWare grade story/voice overs.  Their last 3 games (ME1, DA, ME2) were the worst things to come out of that studio IMO.  Yet all three games had an awesome story and killer voice overs.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Let  me know when there is a game to play. Until then it's not that exciting or important.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

• Originally posted by tillamook

When I send people over to SWTOR  to check out the game they say....

"oh I get the story stuff, but how does it play, what are some of the mechanics, how is PvP what makes it different? Is crafting worth it? any good combat videos? skill info ect?"

There are "some" combat videos, and there is plenty of info on skills, in fact I posted a link a while back from "darth hater" that outlined most of the classes feat trees and skills.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Why should we try to sell a game to anyone when it hasn't launched yet? So they can play forum wars? It makes no sense to me at all. The game should sell it's self after launch. If it is fun and on the level that players want. People will buy it. If not, it will crash and burn. It will sell millions regardless because of BW and SW. But only the game can keep the players. And we have no clue until after launch and we get reviews.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is a hard game to sell because the majority of released information is nothing to write home about.

Also,i believe you should show your audience some awfully good game play or graphics or mechanics LONG before spending a ton of money on voice acting.You should explain in DETAIL how your game is going to differ from  normal boring questing that leads you through the storyline.I think storyline has been done totally wrong,these are not single player games,these are SUPPOSE to be MMO's where players create the story.The ONLY story that should exist is one that tells why , how and when and  the factions/races are/were at war.

This is what i have seen from SWTOR so far.....

The good...many planets,how well this is detailed remains to be seen.Factions,so far 4,well heck it's better than ,2 or 3.Classes?enough for now to give you some variant in choice.Animations seem to be decent enough,but could be better,they almost look like they are trying to mimmick what Quake did but with less detail.

Not so good....3 starships,how this is done really needs to be seen.It does not give much choice so players can feel different and with only 3,there is a good chance many won't like the looks of them.Do these ships have hulls?how detailed are the hulls?needs to be seen first hand to make a better analysis of the content.I would like to see a game get bold and allow players to design their own ship,with the use of a toolset and editor.I would also like to see a STARSHIP act like a starship ,where it takes at least 5-7 players to operate.

Then there is the extremely cheap looking effects,especially the light sabres,they look like something from 1980.I have seen zero indication of shader use,nor any indication of high quality graphics/textures.What i have seen is suppose to be a quest system that will more than likely be npc's with 3 different choices ,that will lead you in one of three directions.So you are not in some role playing game,you are in a linear follow the npc game.The only way i can see this design being worse is if they start locking out areas until you have completed what the npc has sent you to do,again a linear design,pretty much a single player design.

Iffy ...They claim the companions are intelligent AI,i see it as nothing more than,you kill their faction and they turn on you or leave you,you stay the course they stay the course,nothing much for AI  at all.

Might i be wrong?of course i could be,the game is no where near ready yet,but early indications are pointing this direction and my hunch is usually right.I would love for this game to be great and give me something to enjoy login everyday,but my hunch tells me this will be  a very average game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Heck no! EVERYONE will buy SWTOR! I have absolutely no doubt about that, unless some really nasty, blowing new info surfaces, I doubt you have to convince people. Star Wars and Bioware will sell it to everyone.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

Most of my friends/guildies that i talk to are all enjoying what has come out about the game so far.

We are for the most part, as much as i hate to say it. Older gamers now >.<

Most of us are late 20's to 30's (34 myself) So i think we have a little more paticence that some of the people who want more information( Although more would be great)

We will wait ti see what happens but for the most part we are on the wait and see

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Im just not sure what more bioware can do for those talking about seeing gameplay then they have already done since game is still 6 months from a release.

Everyone who got a hands on with the game at pax and e 3 raved about how smooth it was and how cool the game play looked and felt. Heck this person at massively kept goign back to play it every day at pax she liked it so much.

Im sorry but bioware is like any game company they are gonna keep most things close to the vest till open beta or a full fledge beta has started. from everything ive read and heard about this game i cant wait. Selling this game to my gf is easy shes a bigger star wars geek then me.

If u havent been impressed enough with the a + reviews of people who have had hands on with this game so far nothing will get u. So be a hater but everything ive read on other sites and seen makes me excited for this game to come out. The fact bioware devs say this game is almos tdone and now its all about polish 6 months out bodes very well also.

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

No, but my friends aren't to different then myself. 9 times out of 10 we enjoy the same thing. Star Wars, BioWare and MMOs, that's something we've all been waiting for.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Not one of my real life friends even know what a MMO is.  So i guess if i tried it would be next to impossible.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Maybe because getting pre-sold/hyped on something that ain't out yet is equivalent to standing in line for a midnight showing to see something normal people will see on the weekend. No rush. Or maybe because only fanbois and trolls get excited about something (whether it's for or against) before it's even out....hmmm I wonder.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Most want to see the game play and the pvp.  There isn't that much.

The game is still pretty far away from release.  No different then GW2 or Rift or Tera.  I'm positive the group I play with will try it out. But it hinges on the PvP if most will stay long.

Until we are closer to release and more information comes out like any normal MMO, I'm not concerned about who will play what when.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I didn't need to sell the game to my friends,  all I needed to do was mention that this game was in the works and BioWare was making it.   My friends are all gamers, not just MMORPG gamers.  They also are old enough to look up videos and information on their own, so selling the game to them isn't something that is necessary from me.  

Instead of trying to "sell" eachother on features,  my friends and I just talk about the features we are excited with, and plan which classes we will play first.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

My son and his teenage friends seem to have no interest in this game.  Me, being an old school fan of the movies, of course I'll give it a go, but he and his friends seem to be more interested in the fantasy genre, so they are looking forward more to GW2.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Troneas

Yea.  I'll buy it.  Dont give a shit about story, but content and fun, challenging player-centric game play that doesnt reward me for just showing up (period).  I dont want to be self-relient, but want the massively multiplayer back in mmorpg.  Bioware is stupid if they think that story is the holy grail, as they have been delusionally supporting since introducing the market to their progress.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

My experience is very different then some here. My guilds from both lord of the rings online and age of conan have long lists of individuals salivating over the release of this game. We already know that even though I am not playing either of those games, we will all be together in that one. The threads in those guild forums started ages ago and the excitement has only increased.

Then there is my smaller wow guild and some friends in that game I've know a while. That's a more difficult sell. Not because it is TOR, but if it was any game. They are like this wow addicted cult that no matter what comes out, even the mention of a new game is heresy lol, and they don't follow the forums of any other game. However, a couple of them because off my prodding are now aware of the game. It will now come down to how well Bioware advertises and delivers. Hopefully the game at gamerankings.com will get an average score from the critics above 90%. If they only get Lord of the Rings, AOC, or Warhammer type rating, which weren't bad but not to the level of Wow, the game will have little chance to persuade them. Also, if only the game was free to play. That would also make it easier because they are such a cheap bunch and it would be a tough sell since they wouldn't let go of their wow subscriptions unless I froze their bank accounts lol. I'm serious, they have this cult like desease lol. I loved Wow the first 2 years but 6-7 years later I just don't get it lol.

I agree with one poster above that most of my close real life friends do not know what an mmo is and play ps3, but I May be able to convert a couple of them to try if they upgrade their 25 year old Franklin Ace 1000 computers lol.

There Is Always Hope!