Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Empires : Online

WildShroomWildShroom Member UncommonPosts: 4

Saddened me to see the beta was PC only. Have not found any mention of AOE Online ever being made available for play on the Mac platform. Anyone have some info to share on this?

Why is there no listing for it on this site? Or, perhaps I am just not seeing it...

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Oh...interesting!

Age of Empires is actually one of the very few RTS games that I like. A MMO version of the game would be really interesting to play.

<3

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

i'm in the beta, always loved the old version , they are doing a great job so far. evry impressed can't share anything more...

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Didn't even know AoE Online is in the works. Loved the series. 

*looking up google*

Thanks for the head's up, mate ;)

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I am really dissapointed with the graphics though :) I've always dreamed of an AOE 2 "MMO"

This dream coming true is still amazing, but this'll be nothing like aoe 2.

• sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175

Omg i cant wait for this! AoE2 was the best game of its time.

• jopaz7980jopaz7980 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

i'm in the beta, always loved the old version , they are doing a great job so far. evry impressed can't share anything more...

Can't wait to try it myself!

• xxkrisxxxkrisx Member UncommonPosts: 42

the game brings me back to when i was 12 years old buying it from costco and staying up all night long lol

• JeroboamJeroboam Member Posts: 3

I don't know but I think the reason why AoE was not released on Mac is because this game is owned by Microsoft.

I've played all the series of AoE and I'm a but disappointed with the graphics of AoE 3. I haven't played the Beta of AoE Online but I'm sure to play it when it becomes live.

• stormridersstormriders Member Posts: 35

Age of Empires is one of my favorite RTS for the PC. It would be interesting to see how they adpat it to MMO.

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

That's why you should've bought a PC :P

I'm sure you have boot camp, just use that.

• AkechtaAkechta Member Posts: 219

I really liked AoE 2, when I bought it I played practically non-stop for about 3 days... When I got AoE 3 I was pretty disappointed in the graphics and the amount of lag I got.

And yeah, AoE online likely is not working on macs because the game is owned by Microsoft. It should work on the parallels application on macs though.

• Eldonan85Eldonan85 Member Posts: 32

Wanted to reply to Wildshrooms post...

This is just my opinion, and I wanted to share it because I have been both a mac and PC user for quite a long time now.

Games for the Mac... nice concept, that just has never really went anywhere. So my solution to this dilemma was to buy also a PC, best of both worlds right? Fixed all my issues, which were mostly Game related, and was always being peeved that such and such game that I really wanted to play was not available on Mac, and most the time never would be, and even though you see a lot of talk about this or that game coming out for Mac, 99% of the time, it does not happen.

So, if u can suck it up and get a PC and just hide it somewhere where your Mac user friends don't see it and then have to burn you at the stake for being a trader, I would do it. You would open up all the things u want to do, and can't... because you have a mac.

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

From the small amount of details that I've read on the beta invite site, it sounds like it will just be multiplayer, not massively multiplayer.  The online part from what I understand means that the game its self takes place online, sorta like one of those facebook app games like farmville.  Basically you can download and install the game from anywhere; but, all of your stuff is saved online, where it will remain in action even when you aren't playing.  So like the environments around you will be changing constantly, so it would behoove an individual to log on frequently to make sure they're empire isn't getting crunched by opposing empires.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I didn't even know about this game.I am interested for sure as long as i know they have cheating taken care of before the game goes live.

I always thought AOE had huge potential for an online game because it's design allows for a lot longer duration,it could basically go on forever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by wardog250

From the small amount of details that I've read on the beta invite site, it sounds like it will just be multiplayer, not massively multiplayer.  The online part from what I understand means that the game its self takes place online, sorta like one of those facebook app games like farmville.  Basically you can download and install the game from anywhere; but, all of your stuff is saved online, where it will remain in action even when you aren't playing.  So like the environments around you will be changing constantly, so it would behoove an individual to log on frequently to make sure they're empire isn't getting crunched by opposing empires.

Think Evony in regards to the online nation building, but with added quests that offer a bit of action adventure.  The big difference between it and Evony is the lack of ridiculous build times so prevalent in Evony.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

They have videos and screenshots out for Age of Empires "Online".

First off It's NOT an mmo!

Secondly, the game looks like trash compared to what Age of Empires was, AMAZING. I can't believe they butchered Age of Empires into some kiddy-Hello Kitty Online title just to get into the "MMO" market with a description that is completely false.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Parks07Parks07 Member Posts: 4

I believe its not an MMO. Isnt it? as you can see on the youtube clips its not an MMO. http://www.ageofempiresonline.com/

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

what is an MMO? unlike an MO (multiplayer online) it has this additional M which means "Massively".

well, now define "Massively". imho, Massively not just means hundreds or thousands of players playing the game. this also counts for a lot of MOs (Mount & Blade and other SRPGs with online mode). even if hundreds of players can meet in one map coming from their central HUB for a siege isnt "Massively" for me.

for me, "Massively means, that theoretically all players can meet in one of the persistent zones. even if no server, even not the EVE-cluster can handle this. all these HUBs with maps out there, calling themselves MMOs are imo MOs without single-player mode or CRPGs. well, if you follow my definition, then i doubt, Age of Empires is an MMO.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds