Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security concerns anyone?

Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Not sure if this has been addressed else where (Sorry if it has) but I was thinking in regards to the security issues that many mmorpg's face today, causing even Blizz to start marketing authenticators to their customers for added protection.

GW1 was'nt like other mmorpgs from what I have read, and I'm not too certain about the frequency of hacked accounts in GW1, but now since I'm planning on playing GW2 I'm skeptical about how safety issues will be handled. NCsoft (in my opinion) is certainly not the greatest with security and I gathered that notion from playing Aion for quite a while before I got fed up and quit.

I guess my general question is; has there been talks concerning security measures for accounts, such as an authenticator? I'm expecting people to find more ways on exploiting certain aspects of the game which (I heard) could cause account compromise.

I think although FFXIV was was a bust (for me), SE had a good plan by offering an authenticator along with their collectors edition, and SE in my opinion is already very good at keeping their customers accounts safe, in the years I have played FFXI I was never hacked once.

Now that GW2 is going to be more of an MMORPG I'm curious, any info on this?

Comments

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

Honestly I don't think this is the type of game a lot of hackers would try to steal stuff in. As far as mmo's go its not exactly a "hardcore" mmo. 

NCsoft has had problems with games like Aion and Lineage 2, but games like this have big grinds meaning there are a lot of opportunities for RMT's such as gold selling and powerleveling/botting. I just don't honestly see this being a problem in this game. It is far from being a "hardcore" mmo. 

- Also on a side note i'm sure a lot of people won't consider WoW being a hardcore mmo, but there is a lot of hacking going on in that game. To a degree getting arena gear and the hard 25 man content does take time so i'm sure that's why a lot of people get hacked + it's the most popular mmo. 

Anyways to generalize I don't think that it will be a problem in this game, it wasn't in GW1. 

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Have not read or heard anything about extra security measures. Like you said NCSoft is shit when it comes to security or even cracking down on bots and so on so I would not expect anything from them. Arenanet is good to their players though so maybe an authenticator will come from them, or another way to keep your account safe. Still notice that until FF14 only WoW made an extra step towards more secure accounts, other games did not so this is not common practice yet.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

man al i know is this company sux they wont give me my acount info after loosing it a couple years augo no matter what i do they just send me dumb emails and put me aon hold  so as for sacurity  man i dont know my gw acounts never been hacked but man i cant log on either and play the costomer saport system is whacked for shure

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

You can't rely on some company to give you security... it's your repsonsibility and you gotta take care of it yourself.

I understand it's hard to teach an 8-year old about internet security... but if you can't keep your email/password safe then you probably shouldnt' be playing an online game.

That said, lots of people with no internet experience will be playing, so I'm sure the option of some sort of authenticator will be on the table... since it would be in their financial interests to do so. Blizz has an iPhone version of their authenticator, and I'm sure GW2 can have something similar.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I think we can be assured the client will be as secure as they can make it. Real security problems in my experience occur between the monitor and the chair.

Archlinux ftw

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Security starts at your own PC and how you handle it...

1. Ditch Internet Explorer and use FireFox or (even better) Opera instead and turn off ActiveX auto-accept in FireFox

2. Don't EVER click links in eMails you receive. If you want to check an URL from an eMail, go to the companies actual site and do your thing there

3. Keep your anti virus & firewall software up to date. With that DON'T USE Micro$oft's crappy stuff

4. NEVER BUY GOLD OR POWERLEVEL SERVICES

5. Never use GUI addons or botting programs

6. Use a STRONG password something like: H3yYou!

I could go on with 10 more items, but I thikn you get the drift... I never had any problems with any of my accounts with different companies at all. Only because I keep my system save and use common sense with my accounts...

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by yoyoyoblaka

- Also on a side note i'm sure a lot of people won't consider WoW being a hardcore mmo, but there is a lot of hacking going on in that game. To a degree getting arena gear and the hard 25 man content does take time so i'm sure that's why a lot of people get hacked + it's the most popular mmo. 

Anyways to generalize I don't think that it will be a problem in this game, it wasn't in GW1. 

I have known 5 good friends of mine that got hacked on WoW, and that repeatedly. Maybe your right and GW2 won't have these issues (I certainly hope thats the case), but I was reading another forum where a player was hacked on GW1 (that was after I made this post), and others posted under that saying they know friends that has been hacked.

This may not be frequent but I think it would be a good measure to take if more games, even GW2 were, adopted the authenticator offer.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Reizla

1. Ditch Internet Explorer and use FireFox or (even better) Opera instead and turn off ActiveX auto-accept in FireFox

2. Don't EVER click links in eMails you receive. If you want to check an URL from an eMail, go to the companies actual site and do your thing there

3. Keep your anti virus & firewall software up to date. With that DON'T USE Micro$oft's crappy stuff

I could go on with 10 more items, but I thikn you get the drift... I never had any problems with any of my accounts with different companies at all. Only because I keep my system save and use common sense with my accounts...

Then what do you think about addons aquired through Wowmatrix?

• TralakTralak Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Reizla

I could go on with 10 more items, but I thikn you get the drift... I never had any problems with any of my accounts with different companies at all. Only because I keep my system save and use judgement with my accounts...

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Scripture1

Originally posted by yoyoyoblaka

I have known 5 good friends of mine that got hacked on WoW, and that repeatedly. Maybe your right and GW2 won't have these issues (I certainly hope thats the case), but I was reading another forum where a player was hacked on GW1 (that was after I made this post), and others posted under that saying they know friends that has been hacked.

This may not be frequent but I think it would be a good measure to take if more games, even GW2 were, adopted the authenticator offer.

I didn't realize people hacked accounts in GW1 to be frank I guess maybe because the game had so many expansions people thought it was a good idea to steal an account rather than pay for all the expansions. 

I dunno then to be honest, if NCsoft handles customer support for this game then god help us all. 

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I don't think this will be much of a concern with GW2. I've had a lot of experience with GW1 and can say that ANet takes security seriously. When NC had one of their pw encryption servers hacked, ANet immediately reinforced their security by adding a character name authentication field to their log in--despite the NC breach only able to affect a minority of GW players (those who had linked their GW account with a PlayNC Master account).

Even their stance on botters and other types of game disruptions is strict, yet comical and lore-bound. When an account is banned for a violation, the banished god of death, Dhuum, comes out and publicly banishes the offending player character.

The most heinous of offenses I've ever encountered was a DOS attack while playing tournament GvG, and with a quick IP trace of the attack, the offending player got banned within the week (we even invited the dude to come to our guild hall during the scheduled time of his banishment so we could all watch his player character burn).

The only time I've ever encountered a real problem was when an old guild leader got pissed at me and hacked my account. He had my email address from the guild forum that we were running, and he was a former crypto, so my password didn't really stand a chance. So once my account got hacked, Anet's CS was really good, they were able to force my account into stasis, then helped me to change the email and password.