Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens when this game fails.

donkeysdonkeys Member Posts: 239

What happens when this game with a 100 million $ budget fails?

Do we end up paying for it? It's bank money right, so it's tax payers money, and if it fails they would most likely file for bankruptcy.

Don't you think the budget is strange and way too risky. Does it remind you of APB?

Collector's editions are scams.

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

What bank are you talking about...is some government funding this game somewhere, taxing you for it? 

• donkeysdonkeys Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Jimmac

What bank are you talking about...is some government funding this game somewhere, taxing you for it? 

Most likely, you don't find 100 million $ just laying around in the street. It's likely a bank loan, which means you and I are funding it.

• Originally posted by donkeys

Most likely, you don't find 100 million $ just laying around in the street. It's likely a bank loan.

Investors?

Originally posted by Belshazzaar

Originally posted by donkeys

Most likely, you don't find 100 million $ just laying around in the street. It's likely a bank loan.

Investors?

There is some talk about investors yes, but I think they work as collateral to support loans.

Investors?

There is some talk about investors yes, but I think they work as collateral to support loans.

Or you just have no idea what your talking about? I think that is the better option.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

let me get back to you on that.

Investors?

Or you just have no idea what your talking about? I think that is the better option.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30130/Report_Trions_Debut_Game_Costs_Over_50M.php

Okay so the publisher is based in California, so I guess you mean the US Federal Government. 

I would be speculating if I said that I don't think that the US federal government funds banks completely, nor would reimburse the bank for their loan if the publisher files for bankruptcy. 

Trion's website says this on the about page:

"Our innovative technology and gameplay — backed by the world's biggest media companies and top venture capitalists — combines the best of online, gaming, and traditional media to revolutionize the way connected games are designed, developed, and delivered."

So I'm not sure they are even being funded by a loan, and even if they are, I don't think the bank straight up got that money from the federal government, and even if they did, if Trion goes broke I don't think the government will reimburse them on that loan. Sometimes companies (e.g. banks) just fail. Risk and reward. Real life PVP. 

I could easily be wrong about any of this. 

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

What happens when this game with a 100 million $ budget fails?

Do we end up paying for it? It's bank money right, so it's tax payers money, and if it fails they would most likely file for bankruptcy.

Don't you think the budget is strange and way too risky. Does it remind you of APB?

When? Maybe "if"....take in mind WAR is a fail but not really because 1) it is still around and 2) there is content on the way. Granted we have no idea how much it is making, etc. but the fact new content is being made means it is pulling in some revenue for the new content to be made. That is considered a success. Why do you want RIFT to fail ? Think about all the jobs that would be lost. I never wish that upon people.

In the article you linked to, it says this:

"Buttler helped found Trion in 2006, and the company has since raised $100 million in venture capital from investors including GE/NBC and Time Warner, among others."

No banks. 

Investors?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30130/Report_Trions_Debut_Game_Costs_Over_50M.php

Nothing in that link says the game is being funded by the government.

Well, I'm just interested how this will turn out. I don't think some people realise what type of investment is behind this. It's huge.

"Buttler helped found Trion in 2006, and the company has since raised $100 million in venture capital from investors including GE/NBC and Time Warner, among others."

No banks. 

Venture capital doesn't mean it's not a bank loan.

Well, I'm just interested how this will turn out. I don't think some people realise what type of investment is behind this. It's huge.

Because somme MMORPG's have paid off big time while others haven't, they are willing to take the risk I guess.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

no one knows... you havn"t noticed the millions thrown away over the last couple years? this is no different..

No banks. 

Venture capital doesn't mean it's not a bank loan.

It doesn't mean I didn't give them the money either. Also, you're ignoring the next words following "venture capital" which indicate private investors. 

Neither of us know. 

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    100 million investment is not something they will realistically pay back on launch day. They would need to sell two million box sales to pay that off. It's more realistic that they will get maybe 250k box sales, maybe 500k if their lucky. That would pay off a quarter of the money and then if they can keep a 200k retention I'n subs they will be able to pay it off over the course of the next two years and still make some cash. It's just unrealistic to think any mmo will generate 100 million on release unless your Blizzard.In my opinion there's just too much competition... I can see rift doing 300k box sales with a retention of over 150k. If that's a failure the. Every mmo besides wow is.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

What happens IF this game with a 100 million $ budget fails?

/fixed.

• MilliecakeMilliecake Member Posts: 90

The $100 million is being used for the underlying technology that they'll use for three games, not just Rift. $50 million of that is going onto Rift. The $100 million is raised by investors - ie companies/individuals that will give Trion their money in the hopes of a good return. This is generally how most investment works.

Yes it's possible those investors will lose their money, but that is the risk of investment. The only involvement the tax payer will have in the transaction is if those investors DO lose money and use that loss as a tax write off.

If you want to see the fall out of investors losing money in a game check out the Stargate MMO, which left investors with nothing despite millions being plowed into the venture.

And to answer your question 'What happens when/IF this game fails?' I will cry, that is what.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

If the game fails...and thats a big if! i wont be worrying too much about where the money is going to come from....i will be worrying more about the future of mmo's as this is the big hope for the mmo future.

And dont forget even if it fails....there wont be 100m to pay back :)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Do you know how many movies are made on that type of money and more, per year, that completely fail? TONS. Worrying about Rift and it's "money investment" is pretty silly compared to the crap Hollywood spews out. Maybe you should point your odd interest in their direction instead.

That being said, Rift isn't the only game coming out next year. Oh, and change the topic to say IF, unless you claim to be psychic, which I don't believe in anyway, but there you have it.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Stop feeding this troll and he will go away.

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

"If" this game fails......then my life will go on?

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Lol a state funded MMORPG ... that would take like a gazillion years to develop knowing how fast the government works.

< Looks for the next stupid thread >