Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft finally approving RMT

BoudahXLBoudahXL Member UncommonPosts: 199

Well sort of...

Today NCSoft released new vanity items 9.95$ each but this time there is a twist. the item can actually be traded/sold to other plays in game.

So you buy the vanity item and sell it in-game for kinah. Which is great news to people that were thinking about buying kinah online from obscure sources.

Each skins are 9.95$ so depending on your server and luck you might make between 3mil and 20mil Kinah.

Oh and before I go I have to link this video which outline the "dangers" of doing RMT with 3rd party.

http://na.aiononline.com/board/videos/view?articleID=24&page=3

Comments

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

I think its funny how blown out of proportion you make this.  These skins arent even selling for 1 million now and the market has become so saturated with sellers its going down very fast.  3 days after they came out with these skins they sell for crap and virtually worthless.  Its also worth noting that if you go to their site most of these skins are garbage and no one likes them.  Dumbells, candy and other crap as weapon skins isnt drawing much attention but OMG the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Shatter30

I think its funny how blown out of proportion you make this.  These skins arent even selling for 1 million now and the market has become so saturated with sellers its going down very fast.  3 days after they came out with these skins they sell for crap and virtually worthless.  Its also worth noting that if you go to their site most of these skins are garbage and no one likes them.  Dumbells, candy and other crap as weapon skins isnt drawing much attention but OMG the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

It's never blown out of proportion when a developer takes your money each month then uses it to create content you can not have unless you pay more money to have it. But it's the way of gaming now because most people do not care or do not care to stand up for it. Most of them don't get the big picture ...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by Bama1267

It's never blown out of proportion when a developer takes your money each month then uses it to create content you can not have unless you pay more money to have it. But it's the way of gaming now because most people do not care or do not care to stand up for it. Most of them don't get the big picture ...

Er, while I agree with your central point, it seems in this case a person can trade in game kinah for these skins so they are available to everyone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50

I could see the rage if it was something game effecting, but this looks like they decided to peddle the results of a boring day in the art department.  Not exactly something that they used all your subscription $$s to make.

• NaivNaiv Member Posts: 1

Hmm, some of these skins were given as special prizes for being the first group completing  the dungeons after the server merges in july.

Want a suggestion?  If you dont liek this quit MMO gaming NOW.  Blizzard does this(wow $25.00 mounts), SOE(EQ2 $25.00 mounts), Cryptic, SE and many others.  Its the FUTURE of the market direction.  I guarantee you GW2 will have it as will SWTOR, Tera and Rift.  Heaven forbid these companies try and make money other ways then the same way its been done th past 12+ years :P

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Kyleran

Er, while I agree with your central point, it seems in this case a person can trade in game kinah for these skins so they are available to everyone.

If the items must be purchased with real cash then they are not really available to everyone, espescially by their own actions.  It is still content that is being denied to players without an additional fee being paid.  Just because someone else must pay that fee doesn't mean it is available to everyone.

I don't think players access to content should hinder on the wealth and generosity of other players. 

Either way, this is just a way of a company softselling currency to players. 

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I don't see an issue with this, it is not any different than selling PLEX for ISK in EVE.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Plex in eve are not ingame content (well now they are), but they aren't like selling ships or lasers.  Things that take developers time to create that expand on the game.

• ClanRSClanRS Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by Daffid011

Plex in eve are not ingame content (well now they are), but they aren't like selling ships or lasers.  Things that take developers time to create that expand on the game.

It's not like NCSoft developers spend any amount of valuable time on this or expanded the game...

• michael0423michael0423 Member Posts: 11

"...when a developer TAKES your money..."

It never ceases to amaze me how peeps trash devs and companies for wanting to make money. It is absooutely hilarious to me how peeps freely give that money to these devs/companies and then blame them for taking the money.

If I want to dev and market an MMO centered around garbage-eating rats taking over the world, I can freely do so. Then if I want to offer RMTs for the players to purchase nuclear-enhanced bubblegum for $25/pack that has absolutely no effect on the game I can freely do so. Hell, I can even market nuclear-enhanced athletic socks that make the wearers an uber wet noodle and make him/her a god for 3 days, which would effect the game, and I could freely do so.

1. Don't spend your money on the item(s) instead of admitting that you have no self discipline when it comes to personal finances.

2. Don't play the game instead of admitting that you have no self discipline when it comes to spending your time wisely.

3. Find another hobby that will be less of a money pit for you instead of admitting that you have no self discipline when it comes to anything regarding your own personal time and finances.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Eve Online does the same thing with Plex.

Originally posted by ClanRS

It's not like NCSoft developers spend any amount of valuable time on this or expanded the game...

The plex system was designed to combat virtual currency sales and to a certain extend it helped.  It isn't a system that is constantly getting new items with the hope that it will increase revenues.

NCSoft did spend developer time to create those items with no other goal than making more money by giving back less in return for the normal development cycle.  Debating the amount of time spent is debating the level of tolerance, not the core issue of removing content from development cycles and only releasing them for an additional fee.

The end result is paying a subscription fee for less than 100% of the game.

Originally posted by ClanRS

The plex system was designed to combat virtual currency sales and to a certain extend it helped.  It isn't a system that is constantly getting new items with the hope that it will increase revenues.

NCSoft did spend developer time to create those items with no other goal than making more money by giving back less in return for the normal development cycle.  Debating the amount of time spent is debating the level of tolerance, not the core issue of removing content from development cycles and only releasing them for an additional fee.

The end result is paying a subscription fee for less than 100% of the game.

Want to bet that more then likely these skins were created years ago? Remember a year ago when they showed us the vision trailer, well even all that content isnt in the game yet and only pieces of it has come out over the past year.  To say they developed and intended for these item to be RMT is wrong.  They were likely developed a long time ago and they chose to make them RMT sometime this year.  Keep in mind some of these skins were already introduced into the game in an event months ago.  So your whole thought here is sunk IMO

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Isn't plex in game currency ? How can you buying in game currency with real money be not worse by any stretch of imagination than buying some vanity item ? In game currency upsets the economy of a game . 

Chamber of Chains
  • SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by cheyane

Isn't plex in game currency ? How can you buying in game currency with real money be not worse by any stretch of imagination than buying some vanity item ? In game currency upsets the economy of a game . 

no read this

http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=495

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Yeah I just checked out their store, and this is one reason I don't like games like Aion.

First they charge a monthly fee.

Later they Open a cash shop with skins that cost $9.99 each, or whatever and they only work on one weapon, so should a person change their weapon, or anything they have to buy a new skin, and the character customization in Aion not offering it for free since it does not require GM assistance is insane. I would rather play on a MMORPG developed in 2010 that does not have this type of stuff, and one that allows full vanity customizations for FREE, or very little charge, or one time purchases per account so that a person can use it when they want, and on multiple characters which the item is one time purchase, such as Global Agenda, or WOW even though it is an old game which I dont like anymore. I Quit aion because of how they restircted the customization system, and made changes I did not like to the game with their vanity system I mean its only realistic that we get to customize our character and change our looks just as it is in Real Life, it requires no GM help, and it keeps people playing when a company can offer good service features.

If your talking about RMT like Trading items for money, I think that it should be 100% Legal to sell any items you want in any game for real money, or cash, only under the following conditions.

1. The player does not spam players in game by any methods including chat, in game mail, spam forums, etc.

2. They are 100% Legit players who play the game and farm the cash, not bot methods like most companies do, no hacking peoples accounts for it.

3. People will be allowed to buy cash, and such if they wish to however they are made aware that it is a third party service, and they do not accept any responsibility for any transactions that do not go right, unless they do like sony has and make a legit cash selling shop on their site, which I do like about sony, and Rohan, however I don't like their in game items shop boosters and stuff, but I do like the station exchange that people can freely trade to others.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Want a suggestion?  If you dont liek this quit MMO gaming NOW.  Blizzard does this(wow $25.00 mounts), SOE(EQ2 $25.00 mounts), Cryptic, SE and many others.  Its the FUTURE of the market direction.  I guarantee you GW2 will have it as will SWTOR, Tera and Rift.  Heaven forbid these companies try and make money other ways then the same way its been done th past 12+ years :P

the "don't like it don't play it" argument sucks.  you could say that about anything.  "well we're going to kill your girlfriend.  don't like it?  dump her"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Can plex be converted to in game currency their ISK by trading the plex for ISK which is something CCP enabled in game so you can use real money to buy plex then trade it for virtual currency. Isn't that like the gold sellers buying some item off you in the auction house at inflated prices. The final result is that virtual currency is exchanged for real money. Or am I missing something here.

Chamber of Chains
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by cheyane

Can plex be converted to in game currency their ISK by trading the plex for ISK which is in game currency so you can use real money by plex then trade it for virtual currency. Isn't that like the gold sellers buying some item off you in the auction house at inflated prices. The final result is that virtual currency is exchanged for real money. Or am I missing something here.

You got it right as far as I'm concerned.

You can buy EVE plex for real money. EVE Plex can be sold in game to other players for isk. Isk can be used to buy in game items. Just another form of RMT.

Want to bet that more then likely these skins were created years ago? Remember a year ago when they showed us the vision trailer, well even all that content isnt in the game yet and only pieces of it has come out over the past year.  To say they developed and intended for these item to be RMT is wrong.  They were likely developed a long time ago and they chose to make them RMT sometime this year.  Keep in mind some of these skins were already introduced into the game in an event months ago.  So your whole thought here is sunk IMO

They might have been designed prior to the rmt, but that is still items out of the developer budget.  Items that could have been introduced into the game through a new quest or reward system. 

Also it isn't like there is an endless supply of RMT type items sitting around in some locked vault or the company will not keep adding new items in hopes of more sales.

The specifics of this are not as important as the overall concept of what is happening. 

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

They might have been designed prior to the rmt, but that is still items out of the developer budget.  Items that could have been introduced into the game through a new quest or reward system. 

Also it isn't like there is an endless supply of RMT type items sitting around in some locked vault or the company will not keep adding new items in hopes of more sales.

The specifics of this are not as important as the overall concept of what is happening. 

Another way to see it would be the profit they make selling those vanity items can be used to fund additional developers to work on new piece of content. Either way unless you work for NCSoft there is no way to know how much resource was spent on making those items or what they are doing with their profit.

Too many people that have no concept of what a business is and its purpose..making money.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you dont like it quit MMO's now because future games including GW2, SWTOR, TERA, RIFT will all have it.  Blizzard has RMT and the prices of their pets are the same as they are in Aion...$10.00  or $25.00 for mounts.  Personally Id be more mad about the WOW mounts since someone can start a new account and get the fastest mount instantly whereas other people had to earn them. 

Originally posted by Emhster

Another way to see it would be the profit they make selling those vanity items can be used to fund additional developers to work on new piece of content. Either way unless you work for NCSoft there is no way to know how much resource was spent on making those items or what they are doing with their profit.

This argument has been brought up by players and developers many times.  Despite the theory that it may lead to more development, every game I can think of that has added a cash shop on top of a subscription model has seen a decline in content quality, quantity and/or an increase between content releases.  There is just no evidence to support these claims as far as I can tell.

As for the amount of resources spent on these things, it doesn't matter.  The point is that some were diverted from normal content development to create these things.  No matter how it is rationalized these types of things are a net loss to the subscription player.  10 hours or 1,000 hours the result is the same isn't it?  The only difference here is levels of tolerance between players towards receiving less and being charged more. 

• MilliecakeMilliecake Member Posts: 90

Too many people that have no concept of what a business is and its purpose..making money.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you dont like it quit MMO's now because future games including GW2, SWTOR, TERA, RIFT will all have it.  Blizzard has RMT and the prices of their pets are the same as they are in Aion...$10.00  or $25.00 for mounts.  Personally Id be more mad about the WOW mounts since someone can start a new account and get the fastest mount instantly whereas other people had to earn them. 

I would hope GW2 will have it since they're subscription free. When Blizz started charging for in-game items for pure profit, is when I stopped giving them a sub fee. Sadly, it's the minority reaction as so many have bought into the capitalism of MMOs that you're probably right about the future.

Also, buying anything in Aion for extra is a rip off.