Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attention span?

To start, I am not putting DCU down, it looks very polished and could be alot of fun, My main concern is over the long haul, is there enough depth and content in DC Universe to keep players comming back a year or two from now?

Games like WOW or even COH have a certain sense of community that makes the players want to come back, will DCU have the same pull.

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Good question. If this were simply an online game, I'm sure it would...but throwing a $15 monthly fee on it worries me.

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by n0hmadd

To start, I am not putting DCU down, it looks very polished and could be alot of fun, My main concern is over the long haul, is there enough depth and content in DC Universe to keep players comming back a year or two from now?

Games like WOW or even COH have a certain sense of community that makes the players want to come back, will DCU have to same pull.

I think any game can develop the required depth and content when enough forethought, time, and effort is put into it.

I never felt part of any sort of community in WoW, but CoH certainly did, for me, but that was something that was created by the players not those that owned or developed the game.

I think many of those same players will find themselves in DCUO in time to come and community will develop, but the big thing that really keeps people interested is that depth of gameplay and content. Will there be enough to do? I'm sure there will be at first.

One big mistake that I see time and time again in MMOs is that the developer underestimates how fast players can advance in their games. Thus, they rarely have an engaging and repeatable end game in place upon release. I'm hoping that SE and DC have the minds to put something in place to keep those faster advancers busy while new content is being released.

I'd like to think at some point, they've learned this.

• shadowmageshadowmage Member UncommonPosts: 196

I really think the replay ability will depend on how diffrent the the Mentor missions are. If they share to much..... Oh look a new shiney......

Emissary of Istaria
    imageimage

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

I'm not sure what it is that concerns you.  Why would you expect any less from DCUO than any other MMORPG? I think everyone hopes, and expects, that it will be around for a long time. If done well, it will.  Only time will tell, I guess.

I don't see what a monthly fee has to do with anything.  WoW and CoH have monthly fees, as do most major MMO's.  Not being free  will not affect whether the game is successful or not.

• KhemicalKhemical Member UncommonPosts: 8

Community comes from two places, the actual people playing the game and then from the developers themselves. Judging from the enthusiasm that the lads at SOE Austin have shown when talking about DCUO, I believe their will be some love from their side. There is one thing that worries me about SOE Austin and DCUO though, and that is the lack of official forums. It seems that some of the devs go to dcuosource.com, and that's good, but players like to have more interaction with their devs or at least a community manager. 

As for the second part, will people love the game enough to keep playing?

• komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214

I'm sorry, but I am personally insulted by the title of this thread and the implication that I and other gamers do not have the attention span to stay focussed on ...huh?

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by komarr

I'm sorry, but I am personally insulted by the title of this thread and the implication that I and other gamers do not have the attention span to stay focussed on ...huh?

Do we? :P

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by psyknx

Originally posted by komarr

Do we? :P

It's relative to the individual. So yes we do and no we don't.

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by dnarris

Originally posted by n0hmadd

Games like WOW or even COH have a certain sense of community that makes the players want to come back, will DCU have to same pull.

I think any game can develop the required depth and content when enough forethought, time, and effort is put into it.

I never felt part of any sort of community in WoW, but CoH certainly did, for me, but that was something that was created by the players not those that owned or developed the game.

I think many of those same players will find themselves in DCUO in time to come and community will develop, but the big thing that really keeps people interested is that depth of gameplay and content. Will there be enough to do? I'm sure there will be at first.

One big mistake that I see time and time again in MMOs is that the developer underestimates how fast players can advance in their games. Thus, they rarely have an engaging and repeatable end game in place upon release. I'm hoping that SE and DC have the minds to put something in place to keep those faster advancers busy while new content is being released.

I'd like to think at some point, they've learned this.

It's sad how many 'new' games have failed to learn this....but hopefully the DCUO team have looked to the more blatant car crashes of recent memory and do something..... two factors do assist the potential for a decent endgame - the richness and reconisability of the ip and the application of 'physics' both open the door to a level of variety and depth few other mmos have any hope of launching with.

• wizaerdwizaerd Member Posts: 8

What concerns me thos most about this game is that there is only combat.  What to do in the downtime between missions, between the combat? 

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

First of all, I think people should be very clear what they mean by "depth" and "content", because even the OP mentions these and then goes on to talk about community, which is neither. All three can be important, depending on what exactly is meant by the terms. (i.e. are "daily" repeatable quests content? Are ever-increasing raid ladders alone content?)

With two factions and three mentors with different storylines per faction, each featuring multiple boss fights and multi-part storylines that lead up to each boss fight, and the proposed 1/2 content taking place at max level, IF SOE is not just blowing hot air, that sounds like quite a lot of content for people to blow through in the first month or so. Add to that the devspeak about adding content on a monthly and tri-monthly basis and you have even more when you've blown through the first month's worth of content.

Add two modes of PvP to that (which stretches out content to 2-3 times the PvE equivalent), as well as hot-joinable Alerts that rank up as you do (see the Smallville alert video on Youtube where it is said that after you complete it at low level, you can do it again at max level on Hard Mode), Detective mode (or whatever they're calling their crafting/gathering substitute), and secret identities (which they have hinted will play a key part in the game although they have not been specific, citing Marketing holding them back), and I don't see this game being all that shallow.

Of course, this is depending on all that SOE has said will be in the game coming to pass. All bets are off if these features are not in the game at launch or added soon thereafter.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by wizaerd

What concerns me thos most about this game is that there is only combat.  What to do in the downtime between missions, between the combat? 

This is what drew me in to DCUO.  The combat is quite fun.  Trust me.

So anyways lets see...In other Super Hero games what do people in between the combat

1. Role play

2. Hang out in pocket d/club caprice

3. Explore

4. Achievments/badges

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

The RP in DCUO should be good, this is the first time there has been a proper ground up implementation of contentious hero vs villian play....it doesn't need to employ or force pvp, but the optional involvement will introduce a dynamic and variety that can only inspire greater things. The aftermath of pvp can be employed to generate a lot of pve so that the world itself has that organic feel. Likewise the acceesibility and recognition behind the IP will be a great spawning ground for invested rp guild and likeminded folk. staples outside of RP are also clearly in place, so the more solo endevours and community fun are fairly well assured I would assume. All in all it should provide as much engagding content as any comparable MMO, but with added elements. The only real downside I can see, and till I have played it I cannot be sure, is just how simplified the avatar devleopment is to cater for console use.