Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm playing EVE now...

2»

Comments

• SnikesSnikes Member UncommonPosts: 76

You know I like playing EVE but I'm not narrow-minded. When people pretends that other MMORPG (I think about a recently famous one, especially image ) are way better than EVE and that EVE is pure crap, I'm not offended I just would like to know why.

Up to now, every MMORPG are serving the same features : PvP, PvE, harvesting, questing, manufacturing, trading etc... I found no MMORPG with a really cool, brand new, innovative feature. Every game asset reminds you of something you can do in your current game (at least for EvE).

So each game has its "tint" and the tint you prefer is something personnal, not something linked to the game. EvE's tint is its economical system and player's total freedom. You can like it or hate it...

Keep on pretending EvE is crap is not a problem but please argue of what makes the other better !

• etruscanetruscan Member Posts: 130

There are other, new MMORPG's with ideas that could work... but it's arguable as to whether they've been implemented properly. Auto Assault is one that comes to mind... a road warrior, post-apocalyptic style CAR WARS type MMORPG that I think has the possibility to be fantastic. Imperator is another one that I feel has a lot of potential purely from a concept point of view. Eve is, in my opinion, the only game to fully realize a concept outside of the typical "questing" games and pull it off so nicely.

That it's not a Fantasy game is pure bonus.

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Hey guys.

Here, 2 months after I made this thread, I actually started playing EVE 4 days ago. I'm having a blast. I have no idea WHY I'm having a blast, but I am.

The only thing I dislike are the long travel times, but that's what we have alt tab for, and the EXCELLENT autopilot.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Imperatorian
    Here, 2 months after I made this thread, I actually started playing EVE 4 days ago. I'm having a blast. I have no idea WHY I'm having a blast, but I am.

Good for you! I remember playing EVE back in the summer of 2003 and really enjoyed the experience. The freedom to choose your own goals and path is liberating but a little disconcerting: it's a cross between Elite, Privateer and the excellent X-Beyond the Frontier. I left in October 2003 because after spending quite a few months immersed in the game, I was still a slave to the EQ MMOG model i.e. level treadmill, content, etc. EVE presents a whole new dynamic.

I would advise you that once you start to accomplish a few short term goals and have begun a few medium term ones, to become involved in the meta-game i.e. join a corporation that has like-minded goals. At this point, the complexity and deep layers of the game will begin to open up. Practically everything in EVE is player operated: the economy, corporations, borders, alliances, etc. You only begin to get a feel for the immensity of the game once you join a corporation.

Sadly, that was my problem - I never did join a corporation and subsequently felt a little dislocated from events around me. The graphics are lovely and really convey the immensity of space; the music is beautiful, with a haunting quality to it - always reminded me of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Due to the nature of the game, it's difficult to get used to the lack of chatter and the lack of physicality of not bumping into other player's avatars - apart from seeing a passing ship. When you start to feel a little distant from the game (and other people), then think about joining a corporation. While you can do your own thing - solitude can be a wonderful thing - corporations will really open up the game for you.

The only thing I dislike are the long travel times, but that's what we have alt tab for, and the EXCELLENT autopilot.

Agreed. Whilst realistic, they are tediously long at times. However, I do like having to plot one's travel using a system of way-points to avoid well known pirate locations (PvP), border disputes, low sec sectors, etc. It's not just a case of clicking on auto-pilot and reading a book. Yes, you can do that (I did on frequent occasions), but plotting your route and changing it on the fly to take into account dynamic local conditions (i.e. skirmishes, disputes and occasional all out attacks) will ensure that trips do need some involvement.

I remember plotting my route, then going to cook myself dinner for 30 minutes. The awful panic I used to feel when I heard warning klaxxons warning me of hostile ships in the area, was quite palpable - causing me to run headlong down the hallway, into my room and immediately use the HUD to scan the area for ships and to identity the potential threat warning.

Whilst I no longer play, I do have a mild regret for leaving the game and am glad that the game has a nice, settled subscriber base. Definitely one of the more mature communities out there.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

P.s. Please be aware that EVE is notoriously unforgiving - providing that you use a modicum of intelligence EVE need not be as unforgiving as people make out. That said, it is a harsh universe where players have total freedom to carve out their destinies however they see fit. The game definitely has a frontier feel to it - but there are plenty of opportunities awaiting the shrewd player.

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

I joined PIE Inc today. Great bunch of chaps.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

I am one of the solo players - doing agent missions (PvE, with some risk of having to PvP when a player pirate jumps me).

I dont mine - I get my resources from loot. Mining in high security area is boring

I dont trade - I get my stuff as special offers from my agents.

And I have FUN ! (playing EVE for 5 months now)

If I want chatter, I joke around in the NPC corporation chat channel I started with .. so even if you are not in a player corp, you DO have a community to talk to. And there are so many other chat channels you can talk in (missions, events, nation channels etc.). You can even run the ingame EVE Radio channel.

I dont join an EVE player corp because if I DO -  I want to be active and have a hand in things. Thats what I do as guild leader in Star Wars Galaxies. EVE is my contrast game ... my "hop in and shoot em up for an hour" kinda game. No responsibilities, no distractions. And my character gets better even without grinding.

So even as a solo player you can have a lot of fun in EVE.

CU

Erillion

• ratsnackratsnack Member Posts: 2

No one comments on the graphics??? D: I play games for mainly gfx/action balance. It's a lot to ask, but EVE DOES have it. It is very different so its definetly not for kids pretending to be fairies. It is a corporation game and its very real time. Its fun to role play and fly around in space that is so so vast. This is a very unique game and is worth just for the player portrait creation graphics :D

fantastic

• vödkavödka Member Posts: 56

EVE sucks ass hard!!! Snooooze fest!! Wake me if the game ever gets cool...

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181
    I didn't really like eve because it brought out the worst in people. I dont know how many ore theifs were floating around. People getting randomly attacked at gates. People getting robbed and so on. Mining was ok just for the paycheck but PvP kinda sucked when you get jumped unexpectanatly. I just didn't think it was worth the money.

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by vödka

Wow, thanks for the in depth review. This post was extremely helpful and constructive, giving good information for consideration.
    ::::31::

BTW, cools sig, love the scrolling ::::28::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by Miexon
    I didn't really like eve because it brought out the worst in people. I dont know how many ore theifs were floating around. People getting randomly attacked at gates. People getting robbed and so on. Mining was ok just for the paycheck but PvP kinda sucked when you get jumped unexpectanatly. I just didn't think it was worth the money.

I've been playing for almost a year now, on a regular basis. I even "started over as a n00b" by changing an alt into my main. That being said, I hang out in low security space and do my thing with less than 1million SP. I have had no problems and everyone is cool.
    ::::03::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• ShaikuraShaikura Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Starshaker

For those who play EVE for three four weeks and the quit, thank you for leaving. Your kind  is what ruins all mmorpg games. There is really no difference between any of the games anyway. They all involve leveling or grinding of some fashion, all the same in the end. It's the people in the game that make it fun. And your type are, well, quite boring.
    In any event, I would encourage people to try as many different games as possible. Eventually you should be able to find one with the scenary and company that satisfies you. EVE was the game that did it for me. image

I totally agree with you on this.People that quit are usually people who don't want to use their brain to play a game.If you just go out and mine and think thats all you can do then please leave and never come back.
    This is one of the deepest mmorpg's on the market.You have to think and plan your career out.And that takes time to do.If you want easy brainless fun then go play wow.
    One of the best things about this game is the maturity of the community.And they will help you if you just ask.This game has it all.pvp,pve,solo and group play.You can do anything you want.Be a pirate,trader,builder,combat pilot or whatever.One of the most total package mmorpg's i've ever played.
    You must have a brain to play eve.And its been a hell of ride for me so far.I don't get how anyone could say this is a boring game.I've made many new friends already and i've only been playing 2 weeks.I have a huge buddy list,Some which have been playing since beta.
    Me and another player got our first cruisers together and went out together to hunt pirates.I think that was the most fun i've ever had in a mmorpg to date.

• Malena_VXXIMalena_VXXI Member Posts: 11
    come again what you complaining or what?
  • RyctorRyctor Member Posts: 32

For fun?? I steal the ore.....oh and take giant shits on carebear hopes and dreams.  imageimage

LONG LIVE THE GUIDING HAND!

At the Guiding Hand, we hold the contract sacred - if the client wishes us to skin a target's loved ones alive and wear their face for a mask while killing them, we will do so ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by vödka

Run back to guildwars, the goblins are calling.

• drtsanchezdrtsanchez Member Posts: 4
    i hope i will not be dissapointed of this game....

made in romania

• gholstongholston Member Posts: 83

you won't be dissapointed. it is a great game as long as you have the intelligence and socials skills it takes to truly enjoy it.

best mmorpg out there by a long, long shot.

to those with no attention span whatsoever, we who play eve thank you for not letting the door hit you on your asses on the way out.