Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm playing EVE now...

ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

And what do people do for fun other then PvPing the crap out of each other? Heh, seems PvE is shite and mining is boring.

If ignorance is bliss, you'd think people would be happier when you point out what morons they are!

Comments

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

The entire game system built into EVE is much more complex and requires more critical thinking than most MMORPGs out on the market. When you buy your ship, you really have to think about what you outfit your ship with rather than just throwing on the same weapons and modules that everyone else does, because nobody's loadout is exactly the same as yours.

As for mining, yes it is boring, but it's the best way to earn cash in the game. PvE also gets kinda boring, especially since you have no reason to go out and kill them besides to get cash, and the agent missions hardly motivate you to go out there and kill. You can earn better equipment and isk just by going out and killing stuff yourself rather than doing agent missions, at least where the lower-leveled agents are concerned. The higher ones hand out some nice equip but you still have to go and do countless missions in order to run a chance of getting any, since it's pretty much random.

As for PvP, I haven't been in any PvP myself, but from what I hear it's mostly just gate ganking, you die as soon as you reach a jumpgate because 2-5 guys are there waiting for you, in order to 'defend their territory'. Personally I think the alliances are just like big group of pirates that want to hog all the high-leveled minerals for themselves, but that's my opinion. I'm not sure if the Shiva patch helped, but in large PvP battles, your framerate drops to nothing and there seems to be a lot of client-server lag too. Overall, PvP doesn't seem really appealing to me.

I know I sound really critical of the game but it's actually one of the best MMORPGs I've played to date (and I've played MANY, mostly Korean ones though). Unfortunately, I just couldn't stand spending 90% of my time warping around instead of doing something fun, so I eventually quit after only 2 months.

• AlkatrazAlkatraz Member Posts: 119

In EVE u have total freedom...what u do with it it's totaly up to u.

If u try to solo all the time u will be bored soon, so my advice is get into a corp and try to role play a bit....it's realy not that hard u know.

• GyrolionGyrolion Member Posts: 37

I played this game for about a month and then i allready quited.

This game lacks of fun the only thing you can do to get money is mining mining mining it takes ages and its so boring i kept falling asleep and then i wook up and i was like shit. And my hole cargo bay was full for million of hours.. :P Well this game is just shit :P

OMFG. h4x0r

Because i dont like a big sig :P
    Xfire Stats

• ice_pice_p Member Posts: 29
    the imported think in this game is to play in group, join a corp man or be lost in spaceimage

It seems like some people only like to say "This game sucks" without giving any reasons except a quick phrase or two that's supposed to sum up the entirety of the game.

EVE Online is not for everyone. It caters to a certain group of people, those that don't have the time to endlessly grind away at the next goblin/troll/strange mythical monster, but still want to play some sort of MMORPG.

As I've stated before, yes, the travel times are horrendous. This isn't the type of game where you log in for an hour and you feel like you've accomplished something because it takes a long time to get much of anything done. Only the skills progress based on time, but not your cashflow.

However, what this game does have above others is depth. There is a real player market here, and for the most part, it works. NPCs seed the lower-end items, the ones that players don't really manufacture beyond a certain point because nobody really wants to make 500 shuttles because the chances of it selling for profit isn't very high, you might just break even after several months. But for the upper-level items, they're all either player-manufactured, won off of loot drops, or from agent missions (quests).

This game is boring to play solo. Don't expect to solo for long and still have fun because eventually you'll run out of things to do. The game doesn't introduce any goals to shoot for, it merely throws you into the fray and says "Do what you like". And it's up to you to go and find something to do. I know a lot of people quit within the first few hours because of this, after the not-so-good tutorial ends, you're literally thrown into the vast world of EVE Online to do as you please, and they quit because they want to be told a goal to accomplish, not find one themselves.

Ok, so things to do in the game: There's obviously mining, which does get boring fast so it's really an off-and-on thing, you do it when you need the cash but you can't do it constantly day in and day out (at least I can't). It gets better if you're corp mining and people talk story while you guys pound away at the minerals but it kinda ends up being just a chatroom.

Then you have the mobs, known as rats in EVE terms, which are NPC ships that fly around for you to kill. You have rats that you kill for sport and those that you kill for agent missions. With the introduction of Shiva, they added in complexes and deadspace. Complexes aren't really structures that you fly into, they're areas of deadspace where enemy mobs swarm and you can see the enemy structures and ships and all are killable. They also drop loot, some of which are worth tons of money and the complexes are split up into sections, each one being harder than the one before. The complexes themselves are also rated on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the hardest of them all. The difficulty quickly racks up and you won't be able to solo some of the harder complexes, especially deep into it.

Agent missions, as I've stated before, are pretty much disparaged Fedex-style missions or kill missions. There's usually no storyline behind it and you're just told to go out and kill or deliver things with little incentive to do so except for isk and loyalty points. Loyalty points only determine what kind of missions you get, the more you have the better the mission rewards but they also get harder. This is in stark contrast to say, World of Warcraft, in which each quest becomes it's own mini-story and the rewards are really worth it sometimes.

Then you have manufacturing, which is basically crafting in standard MMORPG terms, and also research. You purchase a lab slot or a factory slot, stick in the necessary items such as blueprints and minerals, hit create, and wait until the timer runs down. Pretty standard stuff, except instead of crafting an object in seconds, it takes hours or sometimes even days if you're doing a large batch. Considering how much of EVE's economy is dependent on the player, this system works well so people don't spam the market with goods because they can create them so fast. But it's nowhere near involved like how EQ2's crafting system is like.

The last thing to do is PvP, which I would say is one of the major points of the game. In order to gain access to the best minerals, you need to go into 0.0 space, which pretty much guarantees that you'll have to at one point or another shoot somebody down. It's a no risk, no reward system that works well. Even in alliance space, there are loopholes for you to slip by and earn some good ol' isk. Then you have fleet battles, where everyone brings massive amounts of ships (50+ for each side) and they fight it out until one side decides to run away or die trying. I'm not sure if Exodus fixed some of the lag problems, but from the looks of what happened when I entered some of the complexes, there's still insane lag, not from the server but from the sheer number of ships/objects on the screen at the same time. Don't expect your game to play smoothly with anything more than 20 ships on the screen at a time. Fleet battles also often dissolve into massive mob-like battles with little leadership or strategy, but that's often the case with group PvP in other games. I've gone on a few raids in World of Warcraft before and it usually just breaks down to "kill the guy closest to you and move on" and everybody else is doing the same.

In terms of things that you can do in this game, it's no different than in any other typical MMORPG. You have your quests, your mobs to kill, your gathering of crafting supplies, and your PvP. What IS different is how all this is implemented. The game literally forces you to join a corp because the game is close to meaningless if players don't band together for a common goal. Plus, it's one of the few games on the market with a space theme, the only other ones coming to mind are Darkspace and Vendetta Online, but Darkspace, despite being a good game, has too few subscribers, and Vendetta Online, from what I've seen, isn't really all that fun.

Oh, just to elaborate more on combat: a lot of players said that the combat is merely a click-and-watch affair, and that's mostly true. You really do just click and watch as your weapons shoot and wait until the enemy blows up. But this isn't different than any other MMORPG, where you select a mob, hit attack, and wait until your character swing his/her weapon until the enemy hits the ground and drops some loot. What I do like about the combat system though is you can outfit your ship with a whole pool of items readily available, restricted only by your skills. You may see your corp member flying the same exact ship as you, but you might have configured yours for long-range combat whereas he configured his for short-range or electronic warfare (locking the enemy down, disrupting their targetting, etc...). Sometimes it's mind-boggling just trying to outfit your ship. Sure, there are modules that EVERY ship needs, like shield boosters or armor repairers, but the rest of them is all up to you. And yes, there are quite a few useless modules that nobody ever uses save a few (like me, I like to give them a try before deciding on their worthlessness), but there's enough to make one ship distinctly different from another due to loadout.

And once you're in combat, despite the click and watch combat (in fact, almost all of EVE is click and watch), you still have to constantly check your range to enemies, you can't be too close or too far, you also have to effectively manage your capacitor power, I guess you can relate this to mana, if you activate the wrong modules at the wrong time or use all your cap for shield boosting instead of target jamming/webbing, etc..., you can easily die. I find combat to be quite frantic, with me constantly checking to make sure I'm far enough from my targets and making sure that I have enough cap to go around while still be able to shield boost myself and shoot at the same time. This is much different than World of Warcraft, where I'm usually standing in front of the mob whacking away at them, casting the same spells over and over and just waiting for the enemy to die. I don't get that same frantic feeling as I do with EVE, even if I start to drop greatly in health and almost die when I finally kill the mob.

With that all said, EVE Online and other MMORPGs such as EQ2, WoW, DAOC, etc... all cater to different audiences. EVE feels like it caters more to the older gamers, those that are already married, have a stable job, and don't have copious hours upon hours to play a game for some fun. World of Warcraft and other similar games cater to audiences who either have plenty of time to play a game and level up or for those who just want to log in for a couple of hours here and there and earn some experience, gain some levels, and find cool equipment, all within the short span of a couple of hours. Just because a game isn't what one player is looking for, it doesn't mean it automatically 'sucks', it simply means that they'd enjoy playing another game besides this one.

• StarshakerStarshaker Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 28

For those who play EVE for three four weeks and the quit, thank you for leaving. Your kind  is what ruins all mmorpg games. There is really no difference between any of the games anyway. They all involve leveling or grinding of some fashion, all the same in the end. It's the people in the game that make it fun. And your type are, well, quite boring.

In any event, I would encourage people to try as many different games as possible. Eventually you should be able to find one with the scenary and company that satisfies you. EVE was the game that did it for me. image

Well, there's sort of a grind in EVE too, namely in the levels and the agent missions. It's just presented differently and isn't the main focus of the game.

As for EVE, I would say that the game is innovative in its own right but comes off like it's different. The game does have a lot of innovative features, but most are what people don't want, hence it's only different. I know of a few people who refuse to play the game because they want to be able to level up their character by working for it instead of staring at a counter.

• vaguvagu Member UncommonPosts: 44

no grind in EVE. i ve been playing for over a year now and i m still addicted to it. there s allways something more chalenging to try. the game has depth and the players are mature

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by vagu

no grind in EVE. i ve been playing for over a year now and i m still addicted to it. there s allways something more chalenging to try. the game has depth and the players are mature

True, players too used to the "whack the mole" old style mmorpgs will have trouble adjusting and appreciating EvE.

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Ranma13

Well, there's sort of a grind in EVE too, namely in the levels and the agent missions. It's just presented differently and isn't the main focus of the game.
    As for EVE, I would say that the game is innovative in its own right but comes off like it's different. The game does have a lot of innovative features, but most are what people don't want, hence it's only different. I know of a few people who refuse to play the game because they want to be able to level up their character by working for it instead of staring at a counter.

Actually, with off-line training and a few hours of money generation you can be a very useful frigate pilot in a small fleet. No need to 'grind' unless you choose to.

If work is what your friends are looking for then Eve provides this like no other. Instead of skills you get ISK (money).

Originally posted by vagu

Grinding has another definition in EVE, but it is there....every MMO has it's own grinding system.

In EVE grinding has a new concept : instead of killing x monsters and gain x amount of experience, we start a timer mesured in real life minutes/hours/days without having to actualy do something or even be online.

This system has filtered a little the young players from the more mature ones, giving the opportunity for casual players to be competitive with the power gamers.

The only problem i see with this system is that the new players will never ever catch up with the older players in terms of skill points and therefor EVE can be a bit frustrating for a player that wants to start now.

Also the new players when being addressed with the omnipresent "noob" tag will realise that 25 million skill points is a bit too much difference to try to fight against and some of them will quit because lets be honest with each others.....no1 wants to play a game without aiming to be the best in some area.

The speed of training skills is determinated by your attributes wich can be raised to some level learning the "learning skills" and also u can further raise your attributes with some inplants.

EVE has one of the most punishing systems regarding death (this is why i love the game), meaning that when u get ganked u will losse ur ship and if ur escaped pod is killed also u will loose every inplant that u had on u. This is what separates the pvp-ers from empire carebears as a pvp-er will usualy won't boder to buy inplants as he knows that sooner or later he will die and loosing a full set of inplants can be sometimes equal to loosing a fully equiped battleship. In the end it's all about what u treasure most: having fun pvp-ing or "grinding" to get more skill points.

For me PVP is the most important aspect in a MMORPG and therefor i would apreciate big death penaltyes so that killing some1 could actualy mean something.

I also belive that if u truely want to help some1 to choose a game u will start first by exposing the bad parts of the game in a manner that won't sound like a whinning and in my oppinion the skill system is not a plus for a new commer. The death penalty is a great think for me, but for others may seem a bit hard and that is why i mentioned it in my post.

• DirossDiross Member Posts: 179

I played Eve-Online for 1.5 years and like it very much. It's not a game for ppl who want to get ahead quickly, more of an adult strategy-based game to the most part. The PVP is excellent in the game. The PVE is OK for those who haven't played as long as I have. Some things that need to be addressed in the game is the time-sink issues. I've played many days where I'd play for 6+ hours, but of that number atleast 2 hours was spent jumping gates since I lived in 0.0  for 95% of the time and used insta-jump bookmarks. CCP needs to add lots more game content even with Exodus being released recently. All of the systems are vastly empty of points of interest except for the newly implemented dungeons from Exodus.

Why did I leave, I just grew out of love with the game I think and wanted a change. I have made many friends all over the world in Eve, which is something that most mmorp's can't compete with. The game community is very mature socially which I wish other games would reflect. Eve has a way of making bonds between ppl. Eve has one of the best PVP experiences I've ever had. The Exodus (Shiva) expansion was OK, but really didn't bring anything to the table for me or other veteran players. It is lots of eye candy, but not much in substance in my opinion. One other thing is that with every game patch, CCP either breaks something else in the game or nerfs something, and I grew tired of it.

Eve is a much slower paced game than a lot of mmorps out there, so if you have a lot of time on your hands and don't mind a slower paced game, then this is for you.  If you need constant stimuli, play something else like WOW which is what I've moved on to.

I have no regrets from playing Eve. I've made 2.5 billion ISK, made 33 friends, piloted every battleship and inteceptor in the game, earned 19.8 million skill points, and had a chance to see the nerfed POS (player owned stations).  image

P-4 3.2GHz, 2.0G DDR, GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR, 2x 60G Maxtor.

Eve-Online, AO, EQ

Eve-Online, EQ2, DnL, SWG (Dead), Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, EQ, DAoC, Planet Side, WoW, LOTR, Tabula Rasa.

Originally posted by Diross

I played Eve-Online for 1.5 years and like it very much. It's not a game for ppl who want to get ahead quickly, more of an adult strategy-based game to the most part. The PVP is excellent in the game. The PVE is OK for those who haven't played as long as I have. Some things that need to be addressed in the game is the time-sink issues. I've played many days where I'd play for 6+ hours, but of that number atleast 2 hours was spent jumping gates since I lived in 0.0  for 95% of the time and used insta-jump bookmarks. CCP needs to add lots more game content even with Exodus being released recently. All of the systems are vastly empty of points of interest except for the newly implemented dungeons from Exodus.
    Why did I leave, I just grew out of love with the game I think and wanted a change. I have made many friends all over the world in Eve, which is something that most mmorp's can't compete with. The game community is very mature socially which I wish other games would reflect. Eve has a way of making bonds between ppl. Eve has one of the best PVP experiences I've ever had. The Exodus (Shiva) expansion was OK, but really didn't bring anything to the table for me or other veteran players. It is lots of eye candy, but not much in substance in my opinion. One other thing is that with every game patch, CCP either breaks something else in the game or nerfs something, and I grew tired of it.
    Eve is a much slower paced game than a lot of mmorps out there, so if you have a lot of time on your hands and don't mind a slower paced game, then this is for you.  If you need constant stimuli, play something else like WOW which is what I've moved on to.
    I have no regrets from playing Eve. I've made 2.5 billion ISK, made 33 friends, piloted every battleship and inteceptor in the game, earned 19.8 million skill points, and had a chance to see the nerfed POS (player owned stations).  image

P-4 3.2GHz, 2.0G DDR, GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR, 2x 60G Maxtor.
    Eve-Online, AO, EQ

99% of what u said is totaly true from my point of view, but i will never quit EVE even if it will resume at logging in and say hi to my friends and maybe join them for a little skirmish.

Atm i'm waiting for other games to be developed as i can't find anything that will satisfy me 100% or more then EVE does; WoW has a cartoonish design and i don't think that i want to deal with the 12 year old hordes.

• PFHATEPFHATE Member Posts: 57

WARNING: Do not reply me to hell on this comment.

WoW is EvE's daddy::::08::::::08::::::08::::::08::

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

well see how well WoW is doing in 2 years - my guess is once it aint flavour of the month people will leave in droves for some other new release. no niche market, as its just another cookie cutter mmo ridding on a name built years ago.

flames are teh fun image

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

WoW and EVE? ::::12:: like chalk and cheese really lol.

two very diff games you cant compaire them.

(maaaaan fanbois....... bleh)

Originally posted by PFHATE
    WoW is EvE's daddy::::08::::::08::::::08::::::08::

Yeah right......if u say so.......how could i've been so blind and never realise it till now......

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by PFHATE
    WARNING: Do not reply me to hell on this comment.WoW is EvE's daddy::::08::::::08::::::08::::::08::
    You sure you don't want some help to find the way to there? Perhaps we should even bring you personnaly because I'm sure you will get lost even if it is straight ahead ::::12::

PS: can someone tell me where such fanboys get breed? (sorry for spelling ::::15::)

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• leteufleteuf Member Posts: 27

i have test Eve one night

I was disappointed, this game is very boring and there are many bug....

If you think WoW is EvE's daddy i think you smoke a lot lol

DAOC: Ys/Hib

DAOC: Ys/Hib

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358

hehe....i just started playing eve(i wasnt ready for it during the beta)...i'm taking a break from WoW(i'm 100% coming back)...

what i dig about eve so far is that its chill....i'm just skilling up, making some isk here and there; slowly learning whats going on....this seems like something i can play for a long time, as long as i'm training a skill everyday i'm cool^^

Doja Schmoke - Gallente

5th day.

• dizirgeedizirgee Member UncommonPosts: 156

lol good job necbone you revived it after more than month ::::06::

I`m comming back tomorrow!!Prepare for me my baby your beloved diz comming back ::::06::

But sad thing is that i have to create new acc coz my old one is...ehm gone ::::16::

Wu name dizirgee->Tough Destroyer ::::40::

I`m Lawful Good Human Fighter Paladin
    and you?

• DirossDiross Member Posts: 179

I played this game for 20.5 months and finally had to call it quits and move on. The game has basically no game content for my length of tenure. for the length of time the game has been out, ppl should be able to explore planets, moons, nebulae, and the like by now. Everytime CCP fixes something in the game, 10 more bugs are made. The friends in the game are what really made me keep playing it.

I'm glad I moved on from this time-sink of game.

Eve-Online, EQ2, DnL, SWG (Dead), Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, EQ, DAoC, Planet Side, WoW, LOTR, Tabula Rasa.

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Can I have your stuff? ::::02::

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• TeebeeTeebee Member Posts: 6

Eve was my first MMORPG experience after seeing my friends play for hours I thought there must be something good about it. I couldn't get into it, its very slow and time consuming, all i did was mine for hours and yet it was strangly addictive. I eventually weened myself off it and got on with socializing again. It can take over your life! ::::06::

• etruscanetruscan Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Teebee
    Eve was my first MMORPG experience after seeing my friends play for hours I thought there must be something good about it. I couldn't get into it, its very slow and time consuming, all i did was mine for hours and yet it was strangly addictive. I eventually weened myself off it and got on with socializing again. It can take over your life! ::::06::
    The depth to the game is what I find missing in a whole slew of current MMORPG's. Questing is fun for a while, but the rigidity of the typical Fantasy MMORPG drives me nuts. I'm a sci-fi fanatic at heart. The Matrix is the only really epic sci-fi MMORPG coming out any time soon... and sadly, it looks like it's following the same silly Questing template.

Eve's got it right.