Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cataclysmic failure

FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Well lets start with what they jokingly call the Talent Trees now.

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent

GC has apparently decided that choices are bad, now after you pick your mandatory talent tree you usually have 5 to 7 points to put into one talent or just put all of it into the same tree. I played with the Shaman and Priest talents.. the classes I know the best and its pretty pathetic... pathetic is KIND. You pretty much are forced to take PVE specs now.

No Gear ratings in Arena pvp, because Achiveing something in PVP is apparently bad. Now Arena is basically a 4 to 10 man BG with no rewards for skill and hard work.

People on the forums are bragging about one shotting mobs, skills have been removed and most of the skill in the game taken out in favor of premade cookie cutter specs. This is just sad.

Comments

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Faelsun

GC has apparently decided that choices are bad, now after you pick your mandatory talent tree you usually have 5 to 7 points to put into one talent or just put all of it into the same tree. I played with the Shaman and Priest talents.. the classes I know the best and its pretty pathetic... pathetic is KIND. You pretty much are forced to take PVE specs now.

No Gear ratings in Arena pvp, because Achiveing something in PVP is apparently bad. Now Arena is basically a 4 to 10 man BG with no rewards for skill and hard work.

People on the forums are bragging about one shotting mobs, skills have been removed and most of the skill in the game taken out in favor of premade cookie cutter specs. This is just sad.

I agree with you. If this is what cata is bringing to the table , I want no part of it. Especially the pvp what you are talking about. I kind of liked the honor system and the rewards you get for pvping, regardless of what people here might think. I would rather pvp my way to good gear than pve my way to it.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

one miss informed opinion amoung millions.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

My wowfu is pretty weak, can someone explain what they did?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• ArnstrongArnstrong Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by expresso

I wouldn't even call it an opinion.

He gets the price for first failure post of Cata though ... but a sentence like "no gear ratings in arena pvp" ... is saying something like "rains falls from the oceans under the sky with diamonds".

Some people should take their pills on regular intervals.

I didn't know Wow hate had such dangerous side effects.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

In a game with changes, there is always hope that sooner or later they turn to the better. And it's always fun to try out new stuff anyway. In games without any significant changes, only one is guaranteed: boredom.

I agree, the new talent trees are really tiny. On the other hand: in the end, there is only one optimal spec for each purpose. And in that moment, any thought of free choice is an illusion.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I don't get it.

If you like to PvP, then every class has their set tree for it, which by no means makes PvE harder?

I think you're just complaining for the heck of it, seeing how Cataclysm is bringing tons of "good" to Azeroth. Especially if you dislike the direction WotLK has pushed the game.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

So, so misinformed.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Elidien

Originally posted by SgtFrog

What they did was remove a LOT of useless talents and move some of the better or OP ones into the Mastery system. For example,  as a Elemental Shaman and I very happy. No more mandatory 5 points in Enhancement to get 5% more mana! They have combined regen with hit or other stats where you had to spec into two talents, now with fewer points.

Personally, sure it is less choice but it is also more choice. Now I can take those 5 mana points and maybe take something else. I am happy with the changes.

This is also on top of other changes. Glyphs are no longer a one time use but more like a spell where you can pick and choose which ones you want.

All kinds of changes and honestly if you avoid the cesspool that is the WOW forums, a lot of people are happy and excited about the changes.

Thanks for the information, so they just re-worked it?

Don't they do that allot lol? does not seem like a bad change either way.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

What they did was remove a LOT of useless talents and move some of the better or OP ones into the Mastery system. For example,  as a Elemental Shaman and I very happy. No more mandatory 5 points in Enhancement to get 5% more mana! They have combined regen with hit or other stats where you had to spec into two talents, now with fewer points.

Personally, sure it is less choice but it is also more choice. Now I can take those 5 mana points and maybe take something else. I am happy with the changes.

This is also on top of other changes. Glyphs are no longer a one time use but more like a spell where you can pick and choose which ones you want.

All kinds of changes and honestly if you avoid the cesspool that is the WOW forums, a lot of people are happy and excited about the changes.

yes they just reworked it.  they took a lot of the talents that you always had to take like %5 increase in spell damage and may it a background effect to already being in that tree inherently.  So you gett a smaller taletn so but it does the same thing, there is no need to have 71 points when you have 30 working in the background and you dont have to click on the to set them up.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

They do a lot of rebalancing every patch or so and in the past 5 or 6 years they have overhauled the talent trees once or twice.  This change however is coupled with the class mechanic changes and is most likely the biggest change to the talent system to date.

And yes it's not a bad change at all, the OP is just misinformed

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• marcusfxmarcusfx Member Posts: 11

Simpler talent trees are bad? Simpler means it's more difficult to screw up. Have you ever seen a 300 dps DK in level 80 epics? It's an extreme example, but simpler talent trees should reduce the amount of players that are incapable of running level/gear appropriate content.

OMG, you want to complain about not having gear that allows you to 1 shot people in pvp? Because that's somehow competitive and fun? You know why first person shooters make for good pvp? Because they give everyone roughly the same gear, and success is based on skill and teamwork, NOT on grind.

I have a Season 8 geared DK, and doing BG's with him is ridiculous. I get over 30 killing blows per game and often do over 2 million in damage. It's fun for a while, but is no challenge whatsoever. The challenge is what makes the game fun for me. When I'm killing 3 people simultaneously who have their full furious/wrathful/relentless while I have full wrathful... it's stupid. It's not fun.

On the other side of the coin, it's not fun to start a new max level toon in pvp and get one shotted by arena geared people. That doesn't make for good pvp. It's very frustrating and pointless.

If you really are within that top 2% of pvpers in wow, you wouldn't need the huge gear advantage anyway to dominate pvp. Well, unless you were one of those people who just went with the flavor of the month and had Shadowmourne or 277 weapon *before* even stepping into arena (LOL @ people <1300 rating with 264 weapons). But if you really do think that much of Wow pvp, try out Guild Wars and see MMO pvp done right.

Wow has to cater to more casual players to remain successful. I think it's good. It gives me more people to slaughter in BG's.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Think of it as a less is more situation they were going for. They didn't just rework it, they cut the trees in half. I personally don't like the change but I don't really play WoW anyway.

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

They do modify the trees often, but never like this. The new trees are far better then what we've had. I play rogue, finding a talent I don't like is kinda difficult with what they currently have shown. Playing a rogue today I'm having to take less then stellar talents to reach my point goal. Actually, playing an assassination rogue for PvP you only go 44 points assassination, skipping your 51 talent ability and the 5 point tier above it. Now it seems much better, I'm finding myself putting points in everything I could find useful for PvP situations and not having to take something that leaned more towards PvE just becase it was the less crappy option to reach the next tier of talent points.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I'll be keeping my mage as arcane for pve, occassionally pvp and a dual class frost build for pvp. Permanent water elemental with freeze restored. W00t!

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

It's all part of their master plan.

It removed a lot of archaic functions from WoW 1.0. Re-balanced talent trees a bit, since some classes such as DK had so many ZOMG talents while the older classes had boring stuff like '1% damage increase'. You get 1 talent points every 2 levels I believe, so they did a lot of trimming.

They also made it so you have to choose a specialization. This removed hybrid specs from the game, but they did that for the sake of balancing classes for PVP and PVE. For example, a Frost Mage cannot go cherry pick a talent in the 3th or 4th level of the Arcane Tree because it's too good; he's forced to put all of his points in the frost tree or the 2 first layers of the fire and arcane tree.

Finally, last time I checked they were shifting from Arena PVP to Guild-based Battleground PVP for the PVP gear. They feel like Battlegrounds is more MMO-ish... Which I agree with.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Whoa whoa whoa!  You guys are dramatically oversimplifying some of these changes.  FOR EXAMPLE:

By removing Def, Tanks now have to use their skills/talents to be uncrittable.  That seems bearable right?  But in return all cloth, leather, mail has increased armor value.  Add to that, classes now get very VERY similar HP growth.  THUS, a Priest and a Warrior both having roughly 32K (Priest goes up from the 20's and Warrior goes down from about 38K).  Now with those changes, ok so clothies and plate wearers are on ROUGHLY even planes.  Now that very same warrior now has to depend on his talent trees to get the required aggro just to BE a tank.  Mages and S Priests can EASILY do so by using their spells.  Here's a considerable broken part:  AS of right now.. and 80 Warrior and a 80 Mage, one does 4K damage, the other does closer to 12-16K.  If the said clothie were to spec Stamina for a buncha stuff it WOULD be very possible for you to tank with a cloth wearer making the plate wearer useless.

I do find some of the tweaks needed.  I believe that by removing ammo for hunters and giving them pets that boost groups, it increases the need for hunters in the said groups.  Not saying they aren't dodo's who's pet goes into the next room and randomly pulls bosses but that's a different problem.

The problem as I see it, this is a game.  I want to have fun.  Having to relearn classes from scratch that I've had for almost 5 years seems a bit ridiculous to me.  I have 80's who are now as retarded as kindergardeners because I need to sit down and SERIOUSLY reevaluate EVERY new choice, every new mechanic.  Add to that the fact that Blizzard is saying "Your characters are dumbed down until they hit 85 and become balanced"... wait, what?  That's silliness.  They've changed the glyph system and the reward/honor system.  What 2 days ago you could have bought for 50 frost emblems now cost like 2Kjp.  And mind you, if you had the frosts they did not NEARLY convert over because once again Blizzard changed the pricing to reflect what a lvl 85 will have access to.

Just my opinion.  I came back to WoW recently to start up a new toon and play Cat.  With these changes, I can't say I honestly want to stick around.  I'll most likely be back but as of right now, I FEEL that this patch should never have left playtesting.  There is simply too much that shouldn't have been messed with, or messed up.

For the record, I'm not bashing this, I'm giving my concerns as I percieve them.  When I have to spend nights and nights learning to replay a class that I've played for years there is an issue.  Games are meant to be fun.  The moment they become a chore, I can't help but believe that it's time to move on.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

All I can say is boooo!

One of the cata updates says and I quote,"Your rotations won’t change and you won’t lose any cool talents. "

As a marks hunter the fisrt part of the quote ended up being a lie, and the second part a Jedi Truth.  I went to respec and found that 15 of the 41 points(specifically 15 of the 31 points I put into Marks) I'm required to spend to get Chimera shot are either lack luster filler, or so situational that it should really be ignored for consistant dmg. With a few of them actually forcing me to change my previously very effective and efficient rotation to conserve focus via none focus using shots.

Now I just get to spam arcane shot till I'm out of focus, then spam steady shot till it's full, while hitting refreshing serpent now and then and shooting a chimera shot when it's up.  not to mention being doomed in pvp since the only focus regen is with steady shot till post expansion.

Oh and Volley shot is gone T.T

There use to be two varieties of MM builds haste junkies, and heavy hitters. Now there's just one, haste. Which is bad for me, cause I geared for dmg not haste.  I hate haste, I rather hit like a magnum than spew out 9 mil flac like a sub machine gun.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Agree....let the qq'ing begin.   Once again the people that actually know how to play their class will not have issues with these changes, in fact I think most players that actually know how to play their class will look at this as an awesome chance to really show what they can do.   Because know you can't just button mash/faceroll your keyboard, to play a Pally, or push two buttons as a rogue or just cast heals at players without worrying about mana.    It's been a long time since people actually had to "play" their characters, and now that they have to actually learn to play their characters - it scares a lot of people.

• anielianieli Member Posts: 114

Can I have your stuff cause I am staying for this 'cataclysmic failure'?

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by Teala

Agree....let the qq'ing begin.   Once again the people that actually know how to play their class will not have issues with these changes, in fact I think most players that actually know how to play their class will look at this as an awesome chance to really show what they can do.   Because know you can't just button mash/faceroll your keyboard, to play a Pally, or push two buttons as a rogue or just cast heals at players without worrying about mana.    It's been a long time since people actually had to "play" their characters, and now that they have to actually learn to play their characters - it scares a lot of people.

It's so wrong it hurts. Its even more idiotproof now than ever, you cant go much wrong with skilltrees and it's nowhere harder, i tested rogue and priest on testrealm, sure the talenttress changed but it's still mostly the same, 30min max and you're as good as before, only real good part was that shadowstep is good again and new hot skill which is really good

Besides: Expect once cat is there to get your guide for the perfect rotation to reach the last 1% extra damage, wow is as easy as it can get

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• anielianieli Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Aison2

Originally posted by Teala

It's so wrong it hurts. Its even more idiotproof now than ever, you cant go much wrong with skilltrees and it's nowhere harder, i tested rogue and priest on testrealm, sure the talenttress changed but it's still mostly the same, 30min max and you're as good as before, only real good part was that shadowstep is good again and new hot skill which is really good

Besides: Expect once cat is there to get your guide for the perfect rotation to reach the last 1% extra damage, wow is as easy as it can get

I need a triple facepalm. Here's an example. You have:

Option A

Option B

Now what you are saying that you can no longer go wrong? This a good thing. Why? Because if Option A is the right one and option B is the wrong one, then someone will go wrong but in time (shouldn't take long) he will realise that Option A is better. Then everybody will pick Option A. This is not what choice is all about! This is not cool, mkay?

What you need to have is:

Option A

Option B

Both are equally viable so you have to make a choice. There needs to be an opportunity cost for chosing A over B. In the old talens you had no-brainers. Only newbies went the wrong way but eventually everybody went for the same.

So triple facepalm, please! Thank you!

If they are equal it doesnt matter what you take and there is no cost -thats what you call equal and no-brainer

if it matters they are not equal and you can evaluate their usefullness

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Aison2

If they are equal it doesnt matter what you take and there is no cost -thats what you call equal and no-brainer

if it matters they are not equal and you can evaluate their usefullness

They streamlined the talent trees. took out the garbage and useless stuff.   Takie my DK Tank.   She had to spec stuff that was useless as a tank to her in the old tree.   The new tree...there is only useful stuff!  OMG...I wanted to put points into all of it...unfortunately...you can't.    So you have to choose what type of tank you are going to be based on what you choose to spec it as.   Plus there are benefits to speccing outside your tree.   So now...we actually have greater options and all are viable and we don't have to spec into useless talents because all are useful.  

Like my Holy Priestess...OMG I am loving her.  She is an awesome healer now.  Way better than ever before.  Seriously.  She rocked before, but now...OMG...she rocks! Now she actually has a "heal" spell that actually heals!  That old useless one we had I neverr used and I doubt any other Holy specced healer wasted 700+ mana to cast a heal spell that did all of 800 points in healing.  LOL!  Now that spell cost less than 475 and does over 4500 points of healing.   The glyphs for healing are all useful and will allow us to make some very unique healing specs, toss in reforging and it is just so awesome the combos and choices we have now - and the cool thing is - they are all useful, and all are viable.    I am amazed at what Blizzard has done with the talent trees.   They took away so much and gave us back talent trees that actually make sense and actually work as intended!  

I agree that the trees are good(at least for those classes i tested) but they don't offer more choices, hybrid builds are gone, 31 points in a tree almost fills it completly and since some talents are pve/pvp only you are pretty much set once you decide if its going to be for pve or pvp

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

personaly i like the idea of simplifying the whole thing. hopefully this will make classes more unique again intead of everyone having everything under the sun. no more  being a hibrid of 3 specs, now you will actually have to choose 1 spec and do with that. i hated how unnecessarely complicated stats and skill had become in Wotlk. spell that had 10 paragraphs to describe them, 50 stats to keep track off, everyone basicly playing a hibrid spec with all the best abilites aveilable to them.

hopefully this brings back memories of Vanilla where the skills were few, the classes were unique, the stats simple, the roles defined. i like the changes. this is one of those times were less is more.