Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What made you "get" Eve?

niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

I am downloading the client to start up a trial account for about the 4th time.  I have read several threads where people have replied that it took them multiple, sometimes up to 10, trial attempts before they "got" EVE.  I am curious as to what finally clicked for those people, as I really like all of the component parts to the game on paper, but it has never really "clicked" for me. 

Also, there is a sticky on these forums that lists a bunch of good websites for finding information, but most of them look like they are for people who already know what they are doing.  Does anybody know of a site for those of us new to the game?  Something along the lines of "if you want to mine in EVE here is what your first few days, weeks, will likely look like" same for mission running, ratting, etc.  Any tips appreciated!

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Just remember there is no safe space and the game is full of high section gankers. Always keep ship insured and never fly with a cargo full of stuff you do not wanna lose.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

I quit thinking that the game was supposed to give me a goal, or someone else (such as getting to 0.0 since i thought that was the "end game"). I found out that you set your own goals and do what you want to do, when you want to do it. I looked at it as more of a sandbox instead of your other run of the mill MMORPGs out there atm.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Joining a good corp.  It's the key to the whole experience.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Just remember there is no safe space and the game is full of high section gankers. Always keep ship insured and never fly with a cargo full of stuff you do not wanna lose.

People like you really drive me mad tbh.

The game isn't full of high-sec gankers and you don't need to insure your ship if you just do some mission-running in high-sec either.

I'm flying around in 3 billion ISK faction-ships basically screaming to be ganked and I've never even been targeted once during the last 5 years in high-sec, while flying LvL 4 missions or travelling around.

Those who get ganked in high-sec are giving reasons by beeing unpolite or smacking in loca-chat etc, or because their corp-buddies pissed someone off and therefore the corp get's wardecced.

---

On the topic itself...

The first few weeks are the time, where most players leave again, as the game doesn't let you progress very fast due to it's skill-system.
    So, all you do in the first few weeks is flying LvL 1 and LvL 2 missions, training up your skills to fit ships more effectively and to train for bigger ships ofc. If you're more interested in mining, then the above applies to mining-ships

Searching for a corp to have some people you can talk to while doing missions is the key to have fun in EvE. The older people in the corps will allways help their new players to understand the game-mechanics etc, but be advised to speak to the people first for some days, before you actually join them. You've to feel comfortable with the people in your corp.

Just don't start playing EvE with mindset of being instantly rewarded like in other MMOs as this will make you quit after the first week.
    EvE get's interesting, after you've "survived" the first three month.

When I started playing EvE, I didn't have much time to play multiple hours each day, and that was probably the reason, why I didn't lost interest and kept playing, as by the timne I had time to actually play the game, I had trained up some core-skills allready.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by jrs77

The game isn't full of high-sec gankers and you don't need to insure your ship if you just do some mission-running in high-sec either.

I'm flying around in 3 billion ISK faction-ships basically screaming to be ganked and I've never even been targeted once during the last 5 years in high-sec, while flying LvL 4 missions or travelling around.

Those who get ganked in high-sec are giving reasons by beeing unpolite or smacking in loca-chat etc, or because their corp-buddies pissed someone off and therefore the corp get's wardecced.

---

On the topic itself...

The first few weeks are the time, where most players leave again, as the game doesn't let you progress very fast due to it's skill-system.

So, all you do in the first few weeks is flying LvL 1 and LvL 2 missions, training up your skills to fit ships more effectively and to train for bigger ships ofc. If you're more interested in mining, then the above applies to mining-ships

Searching for a corp to have some people you can talk to while doing missions is the key to have fun in EvE. The older people in the corps will allways help their new players to understand the game-mechanics etc, but be advised to speak to the people first for some days, before you actually join them. You've to feel comfortable with the people in your corp.

Just don't start playing EvE with mindset of being instantly rewarded like in other MMOs as this will make you quit after the first week.

When I started playing EvE, I didn't have much time to play multiple hours each day, and that was probably the reason, why I didn't lost interest and kept playing, as by the timne I had time to actually play the game, I had trained up some core-skills allready.

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/10/questionable-eve-attack-deals-30-billion-isk-in-damage/

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    It was a combination of getting into a Corp, reading deeper into the lore and finally figuring out what kind of direction I wanted to go in.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I was pretty much hooked from the get go. EVE might as well have been specifically designed for me.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

---
    On the topic itself...

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/10/questionable-eve-attack-deals-30-billion-isk-in-damage/

Rare events like this don't make EvE "full" of high-sec gankers. And the story doesn't tell, why they picked him as a target in the first place.
    Bragging about your 30billion ISK ships sure draws some attention, you know.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

---

On the topic itself...

That isn't the norm. If it was the norm, then this guy losing his ship/modules in high-sec wouldn't even be news.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I was forced at gun point!!! then once I joined it I was discarded into open space to float forever in a frozen form....

Asbo

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Originally posted by Malcanis

I was pretty much hooked from the get go. EVE might as well have been specifically designed for me.

I've got to agree with this. I also should probably thank SOE for providing the encouragement to give EvE a try.

Really though, this is a question that is going to have a lot of different answers as the game caters to a number of different types of players in my opinion.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

What made me get EvE?

There is couple of reasons why I clicked for subscribsion.

1) kinda player senate where players vote other players and they speak directly to CCP

2) one server

3) sandbox

4) sci-fi theme and its world also with races and ships

5) Corporation system - you need to cooperate a lot with your mates

6) Dust 514 and Incarna coming

7) Imo best MMO so far till it started but I never realy tried it till few weaks ago (when I also get it)

8) number of possibilities of "profesions" what you can do here

9) kinda hardcore game for more years - full loot, pirates, gangs, low security system(every other MMO bored me after few months or a year)

10) there are ply more but I cant realize em now :P

GO GO EvE !!

EDIT: For WoW fans - those reasons are true reasons .. number of players is not what makes game fun to play ;)

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• KenrichKenrich Member UncommonPosts: 127

It has to be the subliminal brain washing they embeded in the games music that keeps me playing after 6 yrs image

o.O

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

I honestly heard about EvE on Ebay. I was looking for another game to buy and there were toons for sale. Back then, virtual property could be bought and sold on Ebay(no-no now). I saw a toon that was being sold for $1,600 USD and it had FIVE bids. I couldn't believe it. I had to see what this game was.

I then read about the GHSC Heist and more along those lines. I was sold. I was fortunate that I started with a nice corp but a lousy character. Char creation wasn't what it is now. Alot has changed in EvE but no matter what you read, like what ElsaBolts wrote about suicide gankers, EvE is a game that CCP regularily updates and cares about.

If you undock in something, no matter what it is, be prepared to lose it. It's that simple. If you are in 1.0 space in a Command Ship, you can still lose it. The forums are littered with stories of cap ships getting bumped off station in low sec and taken out. I've recently lost 300 datacores to smart bombing pirates and a set of +5's. No harm, no foul.

Edit:Spelz

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I started EVE back in beta, but did not subscribe at the launch. I have played EVE on and off since the start. Now I keep 1 to 2 characters subscribed even when not playing that much.

I used a play Elite a lot back in the day. So it was not so much of "getting" than waiting for EVE like game to come to the multiplayer market.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

I "got" EVE the moment I started studying the game universe and background material and found an aspect interesting. This I turned into a role with a personal goal to achieve.

Over the years I have become better and better at setting new self defined goals and persue them let it take weeks or months. Following, it has also become impossible for me to enjoy MMOs which set goals and achievements for me and doesn't allow me to walk off the beaten path.

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

I've been playing a year, although I only initally played a few months, before joining again after Planetary Interaction.

I have always found it a game that working to the next big thing (like being able to fly a certain ship, or do a specific "task" like scanning) is more enjoyable than once you can do it.

Now I have work out how to make a reasonable amount of isk from Planetary Interaction and trading, and I'm relatively well off for a small amount of play time (all I get really); I'm enjoying the game a lot more. Add to which to joy of a bigger monitor makes to the game has made it so much more fun.

My big problem has been finding a corp that would be up for doing stuff with a player with only a small amount of play time; I suspect that the game would be more fun if casual "grouping" .

• vajravvajrav Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 146

For me it was scanning and ninja salvaging. I love using probes to track mission runners, then get into their deadspace location and harvest all the wrecks.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Jowen

I "got" EVE the moment I started studying the game universe and background material and found an aspect interesting. This I turned into a role with a personal goal to achieve.

Over the years I have become better and better at setting new self defined goals and persue them let it take weeks or months. Following, it has also become impossible for me to enjoy MMOs which set goals and achievements for me and doesn't allow me to walk off the beaten path.

I think its this factor alone that makes Eve stand out - and in a way, it surprises me that more games don't allow this kind of gameplay, as it really does challenge you to think more about your actions in game, rather than do x quest line for y rewards, no thinking required just follow the storyline like all the other sheep.. Eve allows for individuality in a way that no other game seems to cater to, i sometimes wonder if that in itself, isnt the biggest hurdle that new players have to get over, and why it is such a 'steep learning curve'  image

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Jowen

I think its this factor alone that makes Eve stand out - and in a way, it surprises me that more games don't allow this kind of gameplay, as it really does challenge you to think more about your actions in game, rather than do x quest line for y rewards, no thinking required just follow the storyline like all the other sheep.. Eve allows for individuality in a way that no other game seems to cater to, i sometimes wonder if that in itself, isnt the biggest hurdle that new players have to get over, and why it is such a 'steep learning curve'  image

Exactly. Well said. This seems to be the biggest hurdle that players coming from more conventional MMOs face

"There's nothing to do" They say.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Phry
    i sometimes wonder if that in itself, isnt the biggest hurdle that new players have to get over, and why it is such a 'steep learning curve' 

I recommend you to read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuicksandBox

It also features this gem:

I have a hard time with GTA. I find the total freedom paralyzing. When given the opportunity to do anything, I tend to do nothing.
    Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It was all about the corp for me. Getting into a good corp with like-minded people completely changed the way I played the game. And it made it one of the best games I've ever played.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Nearing the 6 months mark I wanted to train my Battle ship skill to lvl 5 & saw that it would take me 55 days...  55 DAYS!! (& that is just the beginning of the retardation of this game)

Thats with all learning skill at lvl 5 basic & 3-4 ( can't remember) advance + lvl 3 implants. Thats when I got that I would never be able to do what I wanted for another few years of paying( I really mean paying & not playing... not a typo error ) CCP to allow me to play the game how I see fit.

Real time trainning is one of the worst thing to ever happen to MMO's. Glad it stayed in EVE & never spreaded out... well, there's perpetuum now, but meh, thats just EVE on the ground.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Once I realized there will always be a goal for me to accomplish, I really liked it. Stuff like lore and how the game works drew me in, but what made me stay was the fact that there's so much I can do. Maybe once I've mastered everything (doesn't it take 21 years or so?), I'll quit.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Nekrataal
    Nearing the 6 months mark I wanted to train my Battle ship skill to lvl 5 & saw that it would take me 55 days...  55 DAYS!! (& that is just the being of the retardation of this game)
    Thats with all learning skill at lvl 5 basic & 3-4 ( can't remember) advance + lvl 3 implants. Thats when I got that I would never be able to do what I wanted for another few years of paying( I really mean paying & not playing... not a typo error ) CCP to allow me to play the game how I see fit.
    Real time trainning is one of the worst thing to ever happen to MMO's. Glad it stayed in EVE & never spreaded out... well, there's perpetuum now, but meh, thats just EVE on the ground.

Clearly you did not "get" Eve.