Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought this game was for me, I changed my mind.

endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Yep, changed my mind. 

Its one of those "Its not you, its me." But real.

I am at a point in my life where I dont want hardcore. I dont want super time sink. I have children and a wife, work and soon school. I dont want a game that takes me forever to get to lvl cap. I want the journey to be fun and I don't want it to be long. I don't want Dungeons. I don't want uber gear.

The game looks good, still. That hasn't changed. My only real gripe, I am not crazy the way the characters move. This last video I watched on G4, they bob up and down and honestly if there were no RL concerns, that one small detail wouldn't stop me from playing.

The game for me, if I play any mmo will be Guild Wars 2.

Thanks for having me. I promise not to turn rabid and come back here and bash RIFT.

I will however bash SWTOR, every, chance, I GET! 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Well, have fun whatever you end up playing.

I don't see any evidence that Rift will be any less or more of the things you state then GW2 though tbh... Has a particlar piece of info got you worried? Got a link so i can have a look?

All in all, from what I can tell, Rift will be casual friendly, and only a time sink in a good way (as all good games are).

I do agree with the sentiment of your post though- far better, if you don't have the time to play a MMORPG, to change your game rather then expect the game change to suit you. Wish more folks felt that way.

If the time comes when i can't put the time I feel these games need into them I will just play solo games... There are plenty out there to keep me immersed and thinking (not least Civ V lol) and I am not in love so much with what i feel is the failed potentiol of virtual worlds that i feel the need to keep plugging away game after game looking for the right one anymore.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Hmm you may know more than I about this game but i've been watching it lately, checked out the videos and a lot of information and I don't see the time sink you see. I see the standard 1-2 months tops to max out a character depending on how much you play. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2-3 weeks for hardcore players. They didn't insert some BS FFXIV xp cap did they?

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

You should at least have posted some arguments why you consider the game to be hardcore, so people could discuss that.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

All games are time sinks.  TV shows are time sinks.  The difference comes down to watching a sitcom, a made for TV movie, or a mini-series, etc.

In general, games are not getting harder.  They are not requiring more time.  They actually prefer that you spend less time playing.  The time required to complete certain tasks are being shortened.

It goes on and on.

I have to agree that I do not quite understand the posting of this thread.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

To be TOTALLY honest the first time I watched a gw2 video I immidiately noticed how the characters where going up and down while walking.

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Why did I make the post. Well obviously it wasnt to start a flame war. You guys disappointed?

Hey if you want, if it makes you feel any better I could rehash all the Cons to the game I have argued against?

Who is this company? I have never heard of them before.

RIFT is going to be the same old bored model. Boring. XYZ game will be REVOLUTIONARY!

RIFT is a WoW clone!

or to the guy that wonders why I think it will be a bit of a grind. The Devs say over and over again how they are aiming this game at the oldschoolers. The EQ fanbase is following it closely.

If it caters to those type of people, that type of game, to me it makes sense it will be a bit more involved than GuildWars2 or even WoW.

Really I dont have much bad to say about the game...other than I just dont think it will fit in as well as a more casual game. I made the post, because I was following it very closely, very active in talking, posting etc....and it was really late and it seemed a good idea at the time.

Originally posted by VirusDancer

All games are time sinks.  TV shows are time sinks.  The difference comes down to watching a sitcom, a made for TV movie, or a mini-series, etc.

Yeah your right games and TV are time sinks. Some games however you can jump right in and get right out. For me, part of it is the "time spent" but the other part is, convenience.  As an example, in WoW part of the reason I didnt raid because I had to devote solid chunks of time to doing just that. I PvPd because I could walk away almost at a moments notice, no harm done and come back when it was convenient.

And so with my tv viewing habits, I RARELY actually watch a show on my TV but find the time to watch all my shows on Hulu. Again, its convenient for me to watch at my leisure.

In general, games are not getting harder.  They are not requiring more time.  They actually prefer that you spend less time playing.  The time required to complete certain tasks are being shortened.

GuildWars 2 it will be less of a grind and more casual. Telling me games are becoming more casual is like saying computers are getting less expensive. Thats awesome, but I am still going to buy the less expensive of the two if the specs are similar. And since I am paying not only in money but in time, I will choose the more casual of the two.

It goes on and on.

I have to agree that I do not quite understand the posting of this thread.

And yet you engaged me in discussion, which is most of what a forum is about.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

A lot of it is based on speculations. What does hardcore mean? Or even 'oldschool' ? At some points, Square Enix mentionned they wanted to lean toward the 'casual gamer' crowd, which caused forum a backlash, but in the end, they are offering a more hardcore style game with no hand-holding ect ect. (This is only an example, not an invitation to discuss FFXIV)

Maybe you just feel like Guild Wars 2 fits your style more, and that's totally fine. But until both games are released, most of what we hear is speculation based on quotes from devs and/or their screenshot or videos.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

Originally posted by endersshadow

or to the guy that wonders why I think it will be a bit of a grind. The Devs say over and over again how they are aiming this game at the oldschoolers. The EQ fanbase is following it closely.

I have seen the first posts of oldschoolers that fear the game will not be for them, and their is a long standing thread by oldskoolers requesting their own server, because the game is not quite as they would like it.

In fact, I hope your fear is a bit justified, but I fear it is not. Anyway, Trion is sending out a lot of opposing messages at the moment about who or what the game caters for. I am afraid we will have to wait and see and try it out.

My advice to you is to read the reviews when the final product is released.

It takes one to know one.

Originally posted by Robokapp

I have children and a wife, work and soon school.

Most people have it School-work-wife-children.

you have it children-wife-work-school.

I did not notice I did that. Thats definitely telling.

I don't think an MMOcan find massive ammounts of people like you so ... I don't think you're a representative of any social groups that Rift is appealing to.

I dont care really..and I dont expect  RIFT to cater to me. Making the initial post was akin to posting that your quitting a game. I followed this game, had high hopes for it, still think it will be good but, its not for me. 

sorry, sir.

I am only 33, you snot nosed little punk  ;)

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Why did I make the post. Well obviously it wasnt to start a flame war. You guys disappointed?

Hey if you want, if it makes you feel any better I could rehash all the Cons to the game I have argued against?

RIFT is going to be the same old bored model. Boring. XYZ game will be REVOLUTIONARY!

RIFT is a WoW clone!

If it caters to those type of people, that type of game, to me it makes sense it will be a bit more involved than GuildWars2 or even WoW.

Really I dont have much bad to say about the game...other than I just dont think it will fit in as well as a more casual game. I made the post, because I was following it very closely, very active in talking, posting etc....and it was really late and it seemed a good idea at the time.

Shame to lose a guy like you! your'e not blaming the game...your honest about why...please reconsider as you are one of a minority and i would much rather play this game with people of your stature!

I am an old EQ vet who is watching this game and hoping that it can keep me entertained. it may be a long grind, im hoping it is. but i am the type who plays for adventure and not leveling...hate the race to max level mindset of todays players :) but i will say the "harcore" "casual" playset depends on the player and not the game friend......heck i am the most casual EQ player you will ever meet.....log in when i feel for an hour or so and have fun then log off!

Maybe keep the game in mind when it's released and come back and see whats said about it mate! you might find it can be played casual too :) if not! i hope you find your game elsewhere friend good luck!

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

You really didn't state why you think Rifts is a timesink... unless you're a beta tester and can't reveal too much due to the NDA.  Which, if so, makes your thread rather a hollow argument.  The way you write about it, gives the appearance that you're either playing/testing it now, or you're just being disengenuous.  So my question to you is that are you a current/past alpha/beta tester of this title? Or, Are you just basing your opinion on what you've read about this title thus far?

Another question, though this might be considered rhetorical in nature... Isn't coming to MMORPG.COM and posting threads, w/ a full rating on your profile, on a profile made in 2010, w/ 300+ posts makes this website a bit of a "timesink" for you sir?

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Yep, changed my mind. 

Its one of those "Its not you, its me." But real.

I am at a point in my life where I dont want hardcore. I dont want super time sink. I have children and a wife, work and soon school. I dont want a game that takes me forever to get to lvl cap. I want the journey to be fun and I don't want it to be long. I don't want Dungeons. I don't want uber gear.

The game looks good, still. That hasn't changed. My only real gripe, I am not crazy the way the characters move. This last video I watched on G4, they bob up and down and honestly if there were no RL concerns, that one small detail wouldn't stop me from playing.

The game for me, if I play any mmo will be Guild Wars 2.

Thanks for having me. I promise not to turn rabid and come back here and bash RIFT.

I will however bash SWTOR, every, chance, I GET! 

reading this thread make me wonder if I missed, the last thing they said on how long it takes to reach level cap, that Ive seen, is an average of 10 days played, thats less than just about any MMO at release, its for sure for the casual gamer, even more because of the Rifts, that are in to ensure something happens all the time, so you wont have "down time"

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

RIFT is a WoW clone!

Not trying to flame, but I am very curious.  Your first post talked about how you were looking forward to it, but not anymore for largely non-specific reasons.  The reasons you give here make it sound like you weren't really looking forward to it (just being honest) since the couple of arguments you have were known conditions long ago (new company, aimed at old school play).  Knowing these conditions originally, what attracted you to the game, and what has changed?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I have read some of the stuff from podcasts, and comments from the Devs...I actually worry that the game will be too quick to level.  They said they want people spending most of their time at max level and enjoying/playing the game.  They stated they didn't want to make getting to max a grind.

Not to be a smart alec, but I hope your right about the grind.  I don't want to spend 1000 hours to get there, but I really don't want to get there as fast as it seems I might, from the new info I have seen.

I wantt o play on a RvR type server, my big worry is that they will have quality open world PvP, the theme doesn't seem to lend itself to FFA PvP, but I think they could do some quality stuff with the RvR theme.

I like what I have seen, but I have questions, just like with everything.  I think swtor may be too much story, not enough substence/depth/choices, GW2 sounds great, but I am getting that WAR feeling, that I am being promised the moon, and getting a cloud/fog.  So I am not without fears/worries about any game.  Time will tell.

I wouldn't flame you for your opinion, from what I hear though, it seems it shouldn't be a a game decider for you yet, since their seems to be a lot of contradiction, as to it being a grind.

Originally posted by hidden1

You really didn't state why you think Rifts is a timesink... unless you're a beta tester and can't reveal too much due to the NDA.

I am not a beta tester, and holy shit do I have to say again why I posted. I felt like, I should speak up after watching this game all this time, and advocating for it, and making arguments for this game that I should say something...almost like a "I am Quitting XYZ mmo". Well when this post bites the dust, I am done.

Which, if so, makes your thread rather a hollow argument.  I didnt come here to argue, just to chat. I dont have some sinister agenda. On the other hand, so many of you are so completely distrusting, I have to say it says something about the world we live in and most certainly about you personally. A thief expects people to steal from them.

The way you write about it, gives the appearance that you're either playing/testing it now, or you're just being disengenuous.  So my question to you is that are you a current/past alpha/beta tester of this title? Or, Are you just basing your opinion on what you've read about this title thus far? 

Disingenuous, no. You wont meet a more honest, more frank person. I am basing my opinion on what we know so far. And while so many of you are linear thinkers (not a bad thing), I am an abstract thinker. In other terms, I am more of a big picture guy. With what RIFT is trying to accomplish, it would not make sense if this game wasnt at the least  a little more time consuming/Oldschool Hardcore  compared to GUILD Wars 2 or World of Warcraft. Which is why if I play any mmo in the near future, GW2 would be it.

Another question, though this might be considered rhetorical in nature... Isn't coming to MMORPG.COM and posting threads, w/ a full rating on your profile, on a profile made in 2010, w/ 300+ posts makes this website a bit of a "timesink" for you sir?

You are right it is. But I can respond to your post at anytime in the day. On the other hand it is still something I have considered quitting.

Am I done yet? Can I leave now?

What do you mean Lie detector, truth serum? 

Originally posted by unbound55

RIFT is a WoW clone!

Not trying to flame, but I am very curious.  Your first post talked about how you were looking forward to it, but not anymore for largely non-specific reasons.  The reasons you give here make it sound like you weren't really looking forward to it (just being honest) since the couple of arguments you have were known conditions long ago (new company, aimed at old school play).  Knowing these conditions originally, what attracted you to the game, and what has changed?

The class system attracted me to the game. Being able to switch anytime out of combat seems like something that would keep my attention longer. I mean given the right circumstances in pvp I could go from a rogue locking someone down to being in a position where I have a terrain advantage and switch to a Ranger spec. 

It didnt bother me that the company was new because the money being thrown into this project made it nothing close to what some would call Vaporware, or a long shot. Quality people+ 50 million dollars = Very serious and dedicated company. I also like how open the company has been and how they have listened to there fanbase.

It also did not bother me that they were running a game style that we have "Sort of" seen before, because 1-If its done right, it will be fun and many games have not been flushed out to the fullest and 2-It had enough new things to keep it interesting.

It also seemed like it was built with a very strong focus on pvp.

What changed? Hmm. Well to be honest, I am adding a lot more to my Life plate if you will. My kids each and every day take more time and attention, school will start soon. I have never went to college and I am changing careers to fit around school.

I dont think mmos while a fun hobby are as fun as they once were. Its like doing something that was fun, and wanting it to be fun again. After a while its just a habit that you do because you always have done.

And I am sure that might be leaving you confused because I still am considering playing another game. My thing is, "if I even play" I want it to be absolutely as casual as possible. I have always loathed leveling. It doesnt feel like an adventure for me like it does for some. That leaves me with GW2. A game where it doesnt take long to get lvl cap, doesnt have static quests, and has lots of open pvp I can jump in, get my fill and walk away.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

RIFT is a WoW clone!

The class system attracted me to the game. Being able to switch anytime out of combat seems like something that would keep my attention longer. I mean given the right circumstances in pvp I could go from a rogue locking someone down to being in a position where I have a terrain advantage and switch to a Ranger spec. 

It didnt bother me that the company was new because the money being thrown into this project made it nothing close to what some would call Vaporware, or a long shot. Quality people+ 50 million dollars = Very serious and dedicated company. I also like how open the company has been and how they have listened to there fanbase.

It also did not bother me that they were running a game style that we have "Sort of" seen before, because 1-If its done right, it will be fun and many games have not been flushed out to the fullest and 2-It had enough new things to keep it interesting.

What changed? Hmm. Well to be honest, I am adding a lot more to my Life plate if you will. My kids each and every day take more time and attention, school will start soon. I have never went to college and I am changing careers to fit around school.

I dont think mmos while a fun hobby are as fun as they once were. Its like doing something that was fun, and wanting it to be fun again. After a while its just a habit that you do because you always have done.

And I am sure that might be leaving you confused because I still am considering playing another game. My thing is, "if I even play" I want it to be absolutely as casual as possible. I have always loathed leveling. It doesnt feel like an adventure for me like it does for some. That leaves me with GW2. A game where it doesnt take long to get lvl cap, doesnt have static quests, and has lots of open pvp I can jump in, get my fill and walk away.

All perfectly valid reasons (though you shouldn't have to explain yourself). 

Good luck with school and the new career :)

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

what is this need to instantly be at endgame?

should there even be an endgame in a constantly evolving world - no!  it has just turned out that way because of content rush from players and lazy development  - or greedy anyway - game is released and so are half of the employees

enjoy the journey or get off the damn road!

• RamaelRamael Member Posts: 91

@OP

Take care, Bean. Enjoy whatever you wind up playing, and don't forget to give the game a shot when the obligatory free trials start up.

Originally posted by gatheris

should there even be an endgame in a constantly evolving world - no!  it has just turned out that way because of content rush from players and lazy development  - or greedy anyway - game is released and so are half of the employees

I guess the rush is because pvp as I know it, has always been at endgame.

The rest, I dont disagree with at all.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by gatheris

This is a question that pops every once in a while. Personally, I think a lot of players are seeing End Game as being a perfect position to form up a stable group to venture in raid content or just to pvp with. This is hard to accomplish when you level up a new character, as it is hard to find a group of friends that would level at the same pace. Sooner or later, one friend is going to outpace everyone. 

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

Mate, sad too hear it!

I really hope that the walking is just the alpha, cause that's one of the things that bothers me aswell. The models seem to float above the ground, which makes it so unreal.

Let's hope you will eventually get the vibe of the game again and come play with us!

Cheers!

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

RIFT is a WoW clone!

imo you come out as a ' polite'  troll promoting GW2 - nothing have been said about how long GW2 will take to reach max level, they will have 80 levels, where it will take about same time to hit level 2 as lvl 80, but that tells nothing about how long it takes to get to level 2.

you say you dont have time for MMOs, but GW2 is promoted as a MMO and as being a more traditional MMO, with some great twists. have no idea how long it will take to reach level 80, but  do you just assume it will be as fast as in it were to reach level 20 in GW1 or?

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

All i can say is i NEVER trust videos for how a game and its animations feel/look.  For some reason, i dont know if its the low framerate of a camera, or what, they always make it look worse than it is.

The AoC videos animations looked like utter garbage, but when you play it, it was actually quite good.  Just as an example.

Either way OP, i think you may be making a mistake, i honestly think you should give the game a try. 

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche