Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming can make the world a better place?

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Evoke/video/Gaming-Can-Make-a-Better-World

Chick literally trying to make a point that online gamers can potentially make the world a better place if we wanted to.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

She was as vibrant as her message was. That is to say she gave a good speach which was a refreshing approach to the potential impact on new media.

What I don't agree with though is that gamers already possess "virtuoso skills" from playing video games their whole lifes until they reach the age of twenty one. I don't think online mainstream games are challenging enough that we are constantly developing skills. We've all heard about people talk of the mind numming grind over and over and talk about how bored they were. In essence what they are refering to is doing repetitive task that don't challenge them which hardly develops skills.

That said I think it possible for games to be used for good and I think she is doing a wonderful thing pushing for it. I just think she is a little optimistic looking at online mainstream gamings current effects or maybe I'm a little pessimistic. In either event I don't doubt that they could be used for good and that gamers could be a massive untapped human resource. I just think it will require a radically different generation of games.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

You do know that all women have to save the world? It is in the CV written in their genes, we are very lucky that our world needs saving otherwise what would our ladies do?

They can’t have a life affirming project where they go on an emotional journey without a ‘cause celeb.’ But the trouble is there are only so many causes to go round and if you can’t find a new one what’s a gal to do?

You make one up, it is not as hard as it sounds, all you need is a perceived inequality and you are off! It does not matter if no studies have been done in the area you pick, in some ways that is better as it might prove your perception of an inequality is wrong.

Remember the fact the world’s economy and social systems work on a day to day basis in no way indicates that it is healthy and you too can have your cause celeb!

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Originally posted by Scot

Remember the fact the world’s economy and social systems work on a day to day basis in no way indicates that it is healthy and you too can have your cause celeb!

Remember the fact that the world's economy and social systems fail to improve the majority of the substandard living conditions that the majority of the worlds people live in and you can claim that someone trying to make a difference is a silly women without even having one relevant thing to say and we in the developed world can be ignorant enough to think just because we have it good so does the rest of the world. Oh also rule out that those that do have it good in the delevoped world are living unsustainably and have to address some increasingly urgent problems sooner or later.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Well I thought I was rather tongue in cheek, but maybe not. :)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Chick literally trying to make a point that online gamers can potentially make the world a better place if we wanted to.

Thoughts?

Her premise is correct, but a poor presentation almost prevents that core premise from shining through.

In particular things like her claim of needing x gameplay hours worldwide are completely arbitrary and useless numbers.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Thoughts?

More like, online gamers can potentially make the world a better place if they'd stop gaming and do something productive.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Wow that was really inspiring and amazing.

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

It would be quite an achievment to harness players skill at gaming and apply it to something productive and of benefit to mankind, to identify and develop systems to use gamers learned abilities in a real world place. The problem solving bit is nice, but the majority of players use wiki's and walkthroughs when faced with a problem, quest helper and let the game show them where the answer is, and not try to solve the problem. She mentions WoWWiki after talking about someone being on the verge of an 'epic win' there is no amazement or achievment when you used a resource to show you the answer.

I like the premise, it is inspiring, sadly the old bastard in me is strong today and im going to pooh pooh this as wishful thinking. If gamers were out to solve things by themselves, yeah, by working together we can do a great deal, however, if someone hasnt read the guide on how to defeat boss x in stage y, they get slammed and abused for not pre reading about an event they have not experienced yet. RTFM so you can be part of the 'Epic win'

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

That was an awesome speech, I just love her voice also she has a very very strong idea that can work.

• nedoxnedox Member Posts: 99

I was skeptic when i saw title, but she made some damn good point there.

vps hosting-My VPS hosting choice || web hosting-My Web hosting blog