Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple more questions about EQ2

joeyfishcakejoeyfishcake Member Posts: 57

I downloaded tried the "free" version of the game. I played EQ2 when it launched (didn't play for long) and plan on going to live server. Got five questions heh.

Was curious though what expansion(s) do I need to have full version of the game? 

Also wondering about something that really annoyed me when I played EQ2 before. Are adept/master versions of spells extremely hard to come by like they use to be? 

Is conjuror a good class to start with? At high level though are they like Hunters on WoW (Too many of them)?I am thinking this would be a great soloing class makes me wonder about too many of them to find groups/raids.

Once I hit level 90 what kind of content am I looking at away from grouping/raiding instances? Like WoW had achievements, trade skills, collecting gold for special items (vanity pets, mounts, etc etc). 

I guess that is about all I can think of right now. 

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Was curious though what expansion(s) do I need to have full version of the game? 

Just Sentinel's Fate...that is all.

Also wondering about something that really annoyed me when I played EQ2 before. Are adept/master versions of spells extremely hard to come by like they use to be? 

First of all...adepts DROP like mad. So adepts are not hard to get, no. You may even get almost all of them in drops when you're in the lower levels...I did. They're also not very expensive on the broker if you DO need to buy one. Masters...cost a fortune. Experts you can have made for you by a fellow guildie or yourself if you take a profession that makes spells for your class...if you're going conjuror, I would suggest making her / him a sage as well. Then you don't have to worry about it.  Masters, by the way, are chest drops. No one can craft them, so....you can either buy them on the broker (for too much plat) OR.....go to a research assistant and learn them, if you have the spell up to expert level (which takes no money, but takes TIME....anywhere from less than a day for low levels, to a MONTH if you're above lvl 70).

Let's put it this way...I have paid for all of maybe 3 masters on my 76 wizard in the entirety of her existence and she has ALL her spells to Master or Grandmaster (you get one GM spell every...idk...10 levels maybe...for free in your class training).

Is conjuror a good class to start with? At high level though are they like Hunters on WoW (Too many of them)?I am thinking this would be a great soloing class makes me wonder about too many of them to find groups/raids.

In my opinion, conjuror is a good solo class, yes. I don't notice a huge over abundance of them, no, because there are other super solo classes as well that are more popular. If you want to end up in TONS of groups...make a class that is great at regen....like a bard, for instance. You see people asking for bards in chat ALL THE TIME.

Once I hit level 90 what kind of content am I looking at away from grouping/raiding instances? Like WoW had achievements, trade skills, collecting gold for special items (vanity pets, mounts, etc etc).

EQ2 also has achievements. They also have collections, crafter only collections, all the other things you mentioned, heritage quests (many of which you'll probably go back to pick up rather than trying to complete while leveling), lore and legend quests, crafting and secondary crafting (which now includes tinkering and a couple of others, as well), you have the best housing in gaming (imo)....my house keeps me VERY busy. My carpenter has been my favorite crafter BECAUSE of that. I have a few lvl 90 crafters and with that....I don't get bored. Too many things to do. Of course you can also do the "rep grind" thing for every faction you can think of, if you like....good for some unique items.  You may want to get all your crafter gear and your harvesting mount too....which adds to your ability to harvest rares and make phat plat.

There's way too much to do at max level for me to even hit it all in mentioning.....and I forgot raiding...lmao

EDIT: I forgot about the Guide Events too....and all the seasonal and lore events. Guides are like GMs (sort of)....they have some "powers" (heh) but they don't fix things for you like a GM...they're roleplayers. They come to towns and places in the wilderness (they'll announce it in character in general chat) and they give quests for items you can get no other way. I LOVE collecting "guide shinies."

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• joeyfishcakejoeyfishcake Member Posts: 57

Thanks a ton for the reply was very helpful and sounds pretty good!

One more question... What are the super solo classes you speak of? Truthfully 90% of my time will be spent solo since I don't have time to raid. 

Edit: Also only need to buy one expansion for all the content? Thats pretty cool I must say

• OtiroOtiro Member Posts: 205

All classses can solo fairly well but the following are usually said to be the best.

Shadownight - Evil Crisader Tank. Has life taps to restore helth does high damage for a tank. Very easy solo even for hard mobs.

Warden - Druid healer, Great solo mob priest good damage.Heals over time.

Fury - Druid healer, Very good encounter Area of Effect damage at higher levels. Direct heals and a couple of heal over time.

Inquisitor - Can Spec for battle priest, does good damage for priest with reactive heals.

Illusionist - Has persona for additional damage and mezzes. Used in groups for power regen and crowd control.

Coercer - Can charm mobs to fight for him/her. Used in groups for power regen and crowd control

Conjorer - Pet class, Has high damage and pet heals along with stone skin.

Necromancer - evil pet class, Has life taps for self heals. Does damage over time.

All the above classses can normally take on heroic content equal to or a little higher level, if played right.

I would suggest though that you play what your happy with.

I agree with Otiro.  And...you're welcome, OP. :)  There is MUCH to enjoy about EQ2 if it's your type of game. I think particularly for people who enjoy exploring, soloing, crafting, and housing and are maybe....a bit OCD. lol ;0)

I think he also mentioned Illusionists....for grouping, illys and bards are asked for a LOT in chat, so....if you DO like grouping, those two classes are apt to get you places in groups more than say a shadow knight.  I think, at least on Everfrost....shadow knights are probably the most "over-played" class. There's one behind every bush....lol.

And yes....Sentinel's Fate has everything on it.  EQ2 has been consistent with this. It's one thing that other developers could learn from, imo.

EDIT:  I have to mention....about Guide Events.  One time I was in Paineel just minding my own business and suddenly I was smacked upside the head by....a COW.  Someone had thrown a COW at me.... O.o   I was like..."WTF?  A dead cow just came flying through the air and HIT ME!"  Then suddenly...there were MORE!  I was being BOMBARDED WITH COWS!  Okay....so like I'm laughing my ASS off, right?  Because, well...being bombarded with cows is....funny.  LOL  And so I decided I should go search for this "cow thrower," since that's NOT something we "normal" characters can do....I suspected foul (not fowl, obviously) play.  I found the guide hiding in a side room.  And....I got a free vanity pet! hehe ;)

Awesome, sounds very good. I am going to go get sentinels fate right now actually!

Thanks again :)

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Otiro

All classses can solo fairly well but the following are usually said to be the best.

Shadownight - Evil Crisader Tank. Has life taps to restore helth does high damage for a tank. Very easy solo even for hard mobs.

Warden - Druid healer, Great solo mob priest good damage.Heals over time.

Fury - Druid healer, Very good encounter Area of Effect damage at higher levels. Direct heals and a couple of heal over time.

Inquisitor - Can Spec for battle priest, does good damage for priest with reactive heals.

Illusionist - Has persona for additional damage and mezzes. Used in groups for power regen and crowd control.

Coercer - Can charm mobs to fight for him/her. Used in groups for power regen and crowd control

Conjorer - Pet class, Has high damage and pet heals along with stone skin.

Necromancer - evil pet class, Has life taps for self heals. Does damage over time.

All the above classses can normally take on heroic content equal to or a little higher level, if played right.

I would suggest though that you play what your happy with.

Monk and Bruiser solo as good or better than most of these classes.  But they're not usually wanted in groups.  Rangers also excellent solo for mowing down mobs.

You also want to look at whether "good solo" means killing tougher mobs or killing mobs faster.  The two are generally very different.  Generally, 90% of the time you want to kill faster and about 10% of the time you want to be able to get that tough quest update without help.   For example, if i had to go out and do 10 quests, my ranger would do it in about an hour, whereas my defiler in about 4 hours.  Big difference.  At the same time, I needed to kill a tough group mob for an update, my defiler would have a much easier time with it.  (If there is space and no adds, i can probably kill it on the ranger too, but defiler can go toe to toe with nearly anything and kill it.  just sorta slowly).

Bruiser, Monk or one of the pet classes (Necro or Conjurer) are probably best for soloing as they can do both - kill quickly and kill tough.   All 4 of those classes aren't highly sought after in groups.   Illusionist or Coercer will get you lots of groups when you want them and they can mezz, so nearly anything is soloable.   Don't play a healer for soloing.    Some solo ok and most can take on tough mobs, but healer's best spells are for healing people, not for soloing.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Thanks everyone for replies :) 

I prefer being a DPS caster just something always enjoyed. I am trying to make the choice between wizard and conj. I'm going to be big on doing things like collections, achievements, etc etc so would be best to pick one or other right now.

Any thoughts on the matter? Keep in mind that I'll be soloing much of the time. Leveling wise they seem pretty much about the same. Root/Nuke tactic of Wizzie seems to be working out great for me. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by joeyfishcake

I prefer being a DPS caster just something always enjoyed. I am trying to make the choice between wizard and conj. I'm going to be big on doing things like collections, achievements, etc etc so would be best to pick one or other right now.

Any thoughts on the matter? Keep in mind that I'll be soloing much of the time. Leveling wise they seem pretty much about the same. Root/Nuke tactic of Wizzie seems to be working out great for me. 

Wizard has better single-target damage, conjuror has better AE dmg.

But the ultimately difference is that the Conjy is a pet class.  The question is - do you want to play a pet class or not?

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

I at this point enjoy them about the same. My thing is once I hit level 90 I'm not going to be raiding so I want to do as much solo content as I can. So I guess the question really is... Is there things solo a Conj can do that a Wizard cant. If there was then I would go with Conj (even though I know necros got a bit upper hand on them). I think if they were roughly the same then I would have to say I would go wizard. 

I suffered from Wizard envy in EQ2 ( played a mage).

I will say that my lvl 76 wizard in EQ2 is GREAT fun, but....I will also add....AAs are EXTREMELY important with a wizard. Do not neglect them if you plan on playing a wizard, because you will die a LOT without your AAs being at least double your combat level....at least. My wizzie has all master or grandmaster spells and I can't remember exactly how many AAs, but I'm thinking it was around 180 (I'm on a short hiatus from the game).

Also...for soloing...I found the battlemage "tree" of AAs to be very useful. There is a shield in that line of AAs that is VERY handy when soloing.

Also...someone mentioned AoEs. The wizard has some outstanding AoEs actually. I've never played a conjuror, so...they may have more, I've no idea. But the wizzie AoEs in higher levels (above 70) are pretty damn painful, and I use them a lot. So...I think the wizzie or conj question will depend a LOT on your playstyle and how willing you are to maintain the highest quality of spells and pay attention to AAs.

EQ2 is MADE for people with OCD, seriously. If you love the intricacies of refining your character and collections (which give loads of AA, by the way....I generally set my AAs to 100 before turning collections in unless I'm really close to a combat level ding, then I might set them around 50)....you're going to do great no matter what class you decide on because you will throw yourself totally INTO making your character awesome.  :)

Thank you once again! You been very helpful to me :)

I think I will just go with Wizard. I enjoy the play style but god figuring out this AA is going to be quite a tackle. I do know though that Iceshape is great to get so my first 20 points are covered (lol)! I'll also do what you said about having double AA compared to my level. Hopefully reseting AA's won't be a headache cause I gotta admit I am going to have a mess of an AA spec once I hit level 90 haha.

What makes it fun to start I suppose :)

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Bard or Enchanter (mostly illy) are probably the most "in demand" classes at 90 end game, and are extremely useful at any levels. 

Best solo'ers are brawlers and summoners and shadowknights. 

Funnest classes in the game are templar followed by illusionist. 

Single target magic dps is wizard. AOE magic dps is warlock. Melee single target dps is assassin. 

Rogue (Brig and Swash) are also both very in high demand for raiding, but there are plenty of these usually. 

Necro is fun for solo as well if you like crazy pets and stuff like that, but isn't preferred in groups. Brawlers are also not preferred for groups. 

Concerning end game, there is pretty much only raiding, unless you like things like collecting collections and crafting and what not. But in terms of end game *adventuring* content, there really isn't much other than raiding and grinding aa's. 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Is there things solo a Conj can do that a Wizard cant. 

Yes. Wizard is straight DPS and can't handle adds and aggro as well as enchanter or summoner can. Illusionist are the funnest though in that regard. 

Thank you once again! You been very helpful to me :)

I think I will just go with Wizard. I enjoy the play style but god figuring out this AA is going to be quite a tackle. I do know though that Iceshape is great to get so my first 20 points are covered (lol)! I'll also do what you said about having double AA compared to my level. Hopefully reseting AA's won't be a headache cause I gotta admit I am going to have a mess of an AA spec once I hit level 90 haha.

What makes it fun to start I suppose :)

Resetting your AAs isn't a big deal. It just takes going to the NPC (can't remember their job name, but you'll find 'em...they're in all big cities, I believe) and you just pay them a little gold (it's not a lot) and they remove the AAs so you can put them where you want again.

Oh...and with your wizzie, do be sure you keep your ROOT spell upgraded. Adept will not do at higher levels. It's a rare thing for a root to fail for me, but...like I said, should it fail....I have a lovely shield in the Battlemage line of AAs that I can pop and then re-root, back up, fire away, or whatever. I use that shield when I'm AoEing stuff down too. Anyway...you'll see. :)  Wizard is a class that gets better and better and more fun as you level too, so...the middle levels aren't as fun as the lower levels (up to 45 or so) and the higher levels 65+.  That middle part, mostly in the 50s and low 60s was kinda...meh...but once you're able to really FUNCTION over in Kunzar and Kylong Plains and those areas over there...the levels go by quicker, they're more fun, and you start feeling really powerful. :)

Most of all....JUST     HAVE    FUN!