Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X3 Terran Conflict...Whoa

2»

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by SuperXero89

The X3 universe simply never drew me in quite as well as the Freelancer universe did.  X3 was just a bit too unbelievable with the plethora of cartoony alien races and the existence of the main protagonists -- The Kha'ak (facepalm).

You think that was worth a facepalm?  get a load of this video... yes pun inteded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi8n6uN091E

If that doesn't get some of you laughing, you might as well be dead.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

Originally posted by Illius

The X3 universe simply never drew me in quite as well as the Freelancer universe did.  X3 was just a bit too unbelievable with the plethora of cartoony alien races and the existence of the main protagonists -- The Kha'ak (facepalm).

You think that was worth a facepalm?  get a load of this video... yes pun inteded

I'm dead. I died of laughing myself to death.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I laughed my ass off the first time I saw this....this is the second time I've seen it....and i laughed my ass off again.

Seriously, i love this game...but why in the name would you name the back guys after the slang for penis, i will never know.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• zabTHzabTH Member UncommonPosts: 35

Wow.. "How can the kh'aak be a menace when I'm wishing they'd shoot more often"... Funniest video game review I've ever heard.

Anyways.. I started off with the world of privateer ( the very first one) this was in the wing commander universe, and as that game matured into righteous fire and then privateer 2, Microsoft took over and starlancer was born. Then came freelancer, the game that everyone loves. The secret is, it's grand daddy is that ancient title I loved the best of them all - privateer.

The universe was always that bit smaller and friendlier in freelancer because it was desigend  from the ground up to be a casual game.

Looking at X3, I remember the first one - X:BTF, it started out with a quick tutorial of you flying through some rings in this punky little fighter ship. Before long you go through a gate and end up thinking wtf. What's even worse, some lizard man hails you and says here's some credits. By the way, I want them back!

And ever since, X games have been an in your face, survival 4X space strategy whatever you wanna call them.  If i had to compare I'd do the following

privateer = wing commander = freelancer

elite = X3 universe

X unisoft games are good games, but I must admit I hated the last game the most. The one before terran conflict was what I liked because it played a good storyline and at the time, the graphics really were worthy of the khaak....

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Its amazing people are just discovering this game now ,  its been out for what 2 years now?

Ive been playing this series since X-BTF and the current game out in the series is always of my favorite in the space sim series. 

I remember the first time i played this game.  I played for 20 mins couldnt figure out what do to do at all (this was X-BTF which was VERY vague in what to do.  It litterally gave you a story intro and dropped you into the middle of space.) and quit, but i eventually came back to it like 2-3 months later when bored.

The Ka'ak in my opinion are also the worst concieved enemy in the X-Universe.  The Xenon were  MUCH more interersting of a foe, and the backstory to the game is actually quite good if you read through the whole thing.

The basic concept of the game is bascially just to create and empire for yourself in whatever way you see fit, and people find it challenging b/c there is really no direction given in how to go about starting(omg you have to  think for youself?!!?).  Like others have said its very time consuming to achieve anything.  Ive had games that have had 100s of hours played which are still not even closed to achieveing everything, but its also one of the most rewarding games ive ever played and when you do get that fancy new capital ship or set up your  500th factory it feels really great.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Funniest thing I've seen all year.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Great game. Glad people are still discovering it. 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I'm wondering why nobody ever mentions Freespace 2.....

By the way Freelancer has supposedly been killed... or as far as my buddy is concerned since he tried running the game, found no servers to play, and as he claims couldn't run his own.. kind of sad really, I had great fun in that game.

One of these days I'm going to put together a half decent rig and get some flight sticks and what not and give these a go.  My current machine is ancient... and I rarely play anything anymore...

http://the-starport.net/    for Freelancer if you wanted to still play,a large mod base and multiplayer servers.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Too funny.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I'm wondering why nobody ever mentions Freespace 2.....

By the way Freelancer has supposedly been killed... or as far as my buddy is concerned since he tried running the game, found no servers to play, and as he claims couldn't run his own.. kind of sad really, I had great fun in that game.

One of these days I'm going to put together a half decent rig and get some flight sticks and what not and give these a go.  My current machine is ancient... and I rarely play anything anymore...

Isnt Freespace 2 mission based and thus lacking the important sandbox element? If so thats probably why few mention it.

Also, its sad that Digital Anvil got butchered by Microsoft. All their projects were sold to other companies and microsoft absorbed the left over staff into their internal departments. A shame really, there would have definitely been a freelancer 2 if that didnt happen.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Ravik

Funniest thing I've seen all year.

Agreed the name for the enermy was really not well thought out at all. It is however still the best space based game out there even including Eve.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

It sounds like I need to more effort into this game.  The menus get really confusing. I really dont want to use the money cheat, but I am having a hard time getting money. 

I watched the video and it cracked me up, but it did get a good review overall.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

One of the best games ever made imo... The learning curve is steep but worth every bit of time invested , Once you understand the X universe it becomes really satisfying to succeed , even when it starts to evolve in small increments early on...

Here is a great help site for any that need ...

http://x3.roguey.co.uk/

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by monkeysoup

wait till you start building your own space station. refinary. almost everything.

i use a cheat mod for credits and ship stats. spawning any ships mods. just so i can get used to every controlls and experiment on how to build a working space station connected to a refinary.

its insanely.. good. 

Cheaters never prosper.........W8?.......oh!

Anyway, played x3 for ages about three computers ago. Never got it to run properly on my old laptop/bucket but still spent many hours on it.

• GImlzGImlz Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Jackcolt

Have you guys tried out Independance War 2 : Edge of Chaos? It's the single best space sim I've tried.

Bloody this. Seems noone remembers the great game anymore  :( I've probably played them all and edge of chaos simply smashes them, the sheer scope of it was incredible. I'd love to see some1 try make another game like it again.