Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Core i9

ArtiexArtiex Member Posts: 82

Hi, im currently equipped with a core i7 upgradable to a core i9 does anyone have an idea when the i9 will come out?

Playing: WoW
Waiting On: SWTOR, GW2, Rift, TERA.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

There is no such thing, and won't be in the foreseeable future.  I had a longer post explaining this, but the forum ate it.  Sorry.

Anyway, all CPU dies that will ever fit Intel's current desktop sockets have (probably) already been released.  Sandy Bridge will take a new processor socket, so future processors won't fit the motherboard you already have.

• TheOilyDukeTheOilyDuke Member Posts: 6

core i9 ended up being the 6 core i7s

they are about a $1000

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Intel is releasing next processor Q1 2011 but I don't think upgrading the processor is worth the money for you.

Unless you already have a 480 GTX or a 5870 GFX card, a SSD drive and 8 Gb+ ram those upgrades will give you more performance for the money, the most important thing in the computer is the GFX card, not the CPU.

Of course if you already have all these, go ahead :)

Intel's 6-core desktop processors are Gulftown.  Here's the cheapest one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115066

Those were Core i7 right from the start.  Calling those Core i9 was idle speculation from people who didn't know what they were talking about.  That sort of rumor gets passed around all the time.  Sometimes it's guesswork, sometimes it's hoaxes, and sometimes it's legitimate leaks.

For a more recent example, see the people who are claiming that Barts will be the Radeon HD 6800 series, while both Cayman and Antilles will be Radeon HD 6900 series.  The people claiming that are almost certainly wrong.  But one person starts a rumor and then a bunch of other people see it and pass it around, and you see it on a bunch of different sites, all of which are only quoting each other.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

If your a rich man go ahead its to expensive XD and not really ideal for our software right now unless your running a simulator to discover the meaning of life XD

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The next BIG shift will be when we are using 16 core machines.  If windows 8 is set up so that each process gets x # of cores and instead of combining to be split then things can be a lot more efficient.  Of course the side effect of that is that MMO20013 might REQUIRE 8 cores or more to run meaning the computer you are using now would be obsolete.

Originally posted by centkin

The next BIG shift will be when we are using 16 core machines.  If windows 8 is set up so that each process gets x # of cores and instead of combining to be split then things can be a lot more efficient.  Of course the side effect of that is that MMO20013 might REQUIRE 8 cores or more to run meaning the computer you are using now would be obsolete.

While there is some instruction level parallelism available today through SSE, and soon also AVX, gaining performance by splitting a single thread across multiple x86 cores would be very hard to do.  That's why it hasn't already been done, even though it's widely known that many programs that are meaningfully processor limited would be able to gain performance by using additional cores already sitting there.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by Artiex

Hi, im currently equipped with a core i7 upgradable to a core i9 does anyone have an idea when the i9 will come out?

Regarding new Intel CPUs, I believe I read that a 32nm 4 core [based on the current 2 core design - yes, with video under the hood ...] will be released 1Q 2011.

22nm samples are already being produced and may have as many as 50 cores to keep up with Moores Law. [Good luck programmers ...].

22nm sales should begin in the second half, probably 4th quarter of 2011. There is no pressure placed upon Intel from any company to provide desktop processors sooner.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20100915143641_Intel_22nm_Microprocessors_Are_Already_in_Production.html

EDIT:  Link added.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

Sandy Bridge quad cores will launch in January.

The thing with about 50 cores is not a conventional CPU at all, but Larrabee, which was originally meant to be a video card to compete with GeForce and Radeon cards, but a colossal failure at that.  So Intel shelved that and moved it to Knight's Ferry, a GPGPU type of part that can't actually do graphics, intended to compete with Tesla and FireStream.

The first 22 nm parts will probably be Ivy Bridge, the replacement for Sandy Bridge.  There isn't pressure for Intel to improve on Sandy Bridge just yet, but by the time Ivy Bridge comes along, Intel will probably be facing stiff competition from AMD's Bulldozer in the server and desktop spaces.  Intel may well be hopelessly behind AMD's Bobcat in cheap laptops by then, too, and Ivy Bridge won't help much there.  I'd expect Intel to still hold a solid lead on higher performance laptops, most notably the oxymoronically named "desktop replacements".