Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoying the hell out of the game

2»

Comments

• BashirBashir Member Posts: 85

i can't speak for other players, but for once, i'm not entirely motivated to play just for better gear.  there's enough game world to just run around exploring stuff. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Bashir

i can't speak for other players, but for once, I'm not entirely motivated to play just for better gear.  there's enough game world to just run around exploring stuff. 

I'm with you on this Bashir,

Now that I'm in my 20's I found that  their is so much content and zone that I had missed, that the replay value is amazing.

There are only a few games out their with this much content. It's just best if I don't name them as it would start a war.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by page

Originally posted by Bashir

i can't speak for other players, but for once, I'm not entirely motivated to play just for better gear.  there's enough game world to just run around exploring stuff. 

I'm with you on this Bashir,

Now that I'm in my 20's I found that  their is so much content and zone that I had missed, that the replay value is amazing.

There are only a few games out their with this much content. It's just best if I don't name them as it would start a war.

Please do list them if you don't mind. I'm curious, as I'm still trying to decide on a super high content mmo to play for the long term. (non wow of course). 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

EQ2 doesn't have enough for me really. The zones are so linear and everything seems forced. Plenty of end game raid content, but everything else falls short. 

EQ1 is on my list, but I was hoping to possibly have a few other choices to pick from as well. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Indeed there are a million quests. It would be perfect if there were many more zones, if the zones were much bigger and spread out, if the monsters weren't all 4 feet from each other, and so on. It just seemed like they compressed an entire planet's worth of activity into an area the size of a small state. 

So I guess by content I don't necessarily mean quests, but rather a huge world worth exploring. Hopefully this reply won't seem like a hijacking of the thread into an argument. I just wanted to clarify. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Jimmac

Indeed there are a million quests. It would be perfect if there were many more zones, if the zones were much bigger and spread out, if the monsters weren't all 4 feet from each other, and so on. It just seemed like they compressed an entire planet's worth of activity into an area the size of a small state. 

So I guess by content I don't necessarily mean quests, but rather a huge world worth exploring. Hopefully this reply won't seem like a hijacking of the thread into an argument. I just wanted to clarify. 

Holy cow !

This brings us a major subject.

I have to say that I never really liked EQ2, I have some clearly defined reasons, but again I'd really not like to start a war.  BUT their were a lot of underlying reasons that I could never put my finger on UNTIL NOW.

EQ2 has many zones, BUT quite often I found that most all of them were un explorable in solo play, at least for me.  Mobs were sooo packed in each zone that it would make it impossible to pass in many choke points.  This wes a very discouraging factor in my game play.  I was totally un able to explore any regain unless I was by far out leveled it, and this killed the immersion for me.

Vanguard like WoW ( man I hate that word ) allows me to venture across a zone. Pick my targets and enjoy myself.  In other words If I had to find an encampment on the other side, I don't have to fight my way to it.

Each zone is capable of exploring at the minimum level it's rated for.

In eq2 a zone rated for 20-30, its best to not venture far from the town if you were level 11. Where in Vanguard a zone rated for 20-30 can be explored at level 11, and easily at level 13.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Originally posted by oakthornn

Vanguard could have been the only true successor to the original Everquest.. I beta tested the game for 6 months and would have subbed even back then during phase 2, lol..  

What killed Vanguard was the fact Brad ran out of funding for the game. All the testers knew VG wasn't ready for release when we received the announcement before everyone else in early December of 2006... We were getting ready to test pvp at the time and other changes/upgrades were in the mix for the upcoming months such as a new  upgraded character creation system, and revamped classes..  PvP testing was going to help with new class revamps.. The new Character creation system was supposed to add more enhanced model animations, and Sigil was still working out the kinks of the performance, stability, and mob warping issue..

All of this was going to take at least another 3-6 months to complete..  If Brad would have recieved a bit more funding, more help, and a little more time, who knows where Vanguard would be tight now...

It's funny because when SOE took over and literally CHANGED the game by removing the item expertise feature, giving all items level recommendations, and making all items BOE or Soulbound, I along with many thousands of others couldn't believe they'd change the core structure of a system so awesome since EQ,, so that was when thousands left..

People were beginning to leave 2 months after release, not because of the performance issue, but because there was little content past Thel and VT mid to upper 30 dungeons.. Not only that, but the levfel 40-50 areas were horribly bugged at the time.. Many people wouldn't give up so we just rolled alts and tried giving sigil time to fix the issues..

See, many thousands of people were behind Brad and Sigl. We backed them and knew it wasn't their fault for releasing the game prematurely. Most of us would have stayed and given Sigil time to fix what needed to get fixed to help make Vanguard truly legendary..  When SOE took over, it all went downhill from there.. Those who do not understand the truth just say the game had horrible performance so I quit, lol. Well these gamers obviously weren't part of the many thousands of people who understood it would take some time fixing what needed fixing and implementing what needed to be implemented.. We knew the game was forced to launch at least 3-6 months before it was ready, and we were willing to play through the problems because we trusted Sigil to fix the problems and make things right...  During those last days of Sigil, SOE really screwed Brad hardcore until he had no choice but to leave. Then SOE takes over and tries to change the game mechanics and make it more like a EQ2 crappy clone... This was back in mid 2007 and SOE obviously didn't want Vanguard to compete with EQ2, so literally once they took over, many thousands still playing the game all literally quit at once.. Many of my old guildmates went back to EQ2, just like SOE had hoped during that time...

This business is really cruel, greedy, and out for blood lol..

But ya, Vanguard could have been great even If someone else decided to buy its rights... The game Sigil created was awesome. It just needed to work out a bit of kinks and finish the class revamps for it to have been great... 

sure, blame Sony, why not, everyone else does.

Forget the fact that Brad and Sigil wasted a ton of cash that Microsoft threw at them, so much so that Microsoft dropped them, and if it wasnt for SOE moving in, there would be no Vanguard at all.

Face it, V:soh was pretty dire in beta, not much better at release due to Sigil, nobody else, hell, they could not even get head gear in the game ffs.

Maybe SOE could have put more money into the game, perhaps they could have more devs working on it, but you know how the saying goes.....you can polish a turd, but it will still be a piece of shit.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Vanguard is just a much better game. EQ2 drove me nuts with walk ten feet zone walk ten feet zone  ggrrr

Agreed. Once again I think Vanguard may need to be moved to the top of my "games that I need to get to work on my computer" list. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BashirBashir Member Posts: 85

can't find a group to save my life.  oh well.