Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoying the hell out of the game

I tried Vanguard a while back when i had a pos computer and didn't give it another thought.  Decided to give it another go since i have a new rig these days.   i've been looking for an mmo to keep me occupied and i've gotta say, it's not that bad. 

I pretty much played the game all day yesterday, i actually got so caught up in crafting and diplomacy that i forgot about leveling my druid adventurer.  thinking about subbing to this, at least for a few months.  just to see what else is out there. 

it's a shame that there aren't more people playing this at the moment.  it has a bit of a learning curve with diplomacy and crafting, and the gear for each different aspect threw me off for a bit, but man it's addictive. 

yeah it's sony, and yeah you guys hate them, but the game isn't horrible. 

go ahead and flame away. 

Comments

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

No reason to flame you. You like the game. Good :) Its hard enough finding a game you like. Personally I am loving Fallen Earth at the moment. Also a game Im beta testing the crap out of. Wish I could break the NDA for that one hehe.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

only reason to flame away.. is because SOE let this game languish too much, if they'd spent a bit more time and effort on it, they'd have a game on their hands thats actually a AAA title..  as it is.. the game is doomed to mediocrity.. which is a shame, out of all the games in SOE's catalogue.. vanguard has the most potential... image

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

It is a fantastic game. Like others have said if SOE actually put some cash into it they really could have a killer on their hands. It's such a pity they seem to be leaving it to die a slow death, when it's actually potentially one of the best MMOs on the market.

• BashirBashir Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Techleo

No reason to flame you. You like the game. Good :) Its hard enough finding a game you like. Personally I am loving Fallen Earth at the moment. Also a game Im beta testing the crap out of. Wish I could break the NDA for that one hehe.

yeah, i played fallen earth for a while when it launched.  i'll go back eventually to try blood sports.  it's a good game.  i just needed to take a break from it, i was pretty hooked on it =)  have a chota warrior 43 or so and a rifleman about the same lvl. 

i hope they do more with construction, then i'd definitely come back. 

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    With its open nature, many starting spots, and features such as Diplomacy, it is indeed one of the better titles out there in my opinion. Glad your having fun!

Originally posted by buegur

With its open nature, many starting spots, and features such as Diplomacy, it is indeed one of the better titles out there in my opinion. Glad your having fun!

yeah, i was starting to lose hope in the mmo genre.  just when i thought i'd get out, i found a game to PULL ME BACK IN. 

yeah, sony needs to step their game up, literally.  this is too good to permadie. 

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game as many of us have. Most people who go to Vanguard understand what kind of game it is and really enjoy the gameplay, the graphics, the huge open world and non-instanced dungeons. It's the bugs, the crashes, and SOE pulling the development team away to work on other games that is slowly killing it.

for anyone playing, i'm a lvl 8 druid at the moment.  ign:  Basheem

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

How much I would love to have a Vanguard PVP server with anything about 800 people at prime time again.  Definitely the second most fun I ever had in an MMO behind DAOC.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• Justley3Justley3 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Phry

only reason to flame away.. is because SOE let this game languish too much, if they'd spent a bit more time and effort on it, they'd have a game on their hands thats actually a AAA title..  as it is.. the game is doomed to mediocrity.. which is a shame, out of all the games in SOE's catalogue.. vanguard has the most potential... image

Agreed. This game had alot of potential but SOE bought it to let it basically rot and cancel all eager updates to the game we were looking forward too. They basically bought it to let it rot to let its rival EQ2 flurish. Sad really. :(

Happpy you are enjoying it OP. It is a fun game, and could have been ALOT better with a big big community if things were done that were orginally promised but SOE pushed a majority of the community and hype away from it purposely :(

Gamer-4-Life

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

Originally posted by Phry

In the current state of the game, or any time after the first 4 or so months for that matter, Vanguard has absolutely been a AAA title.  The game is extremely polished now, runs just as well as any game I have ever played.  But yes, the first 4 months was a joke, it is to bad that SOE took over and almost looked like they purposely wanted the game to flop to see Brad Mcquaid cry himself to sleep every night.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Vanguard could have been the only true successor to the original Everquest.. I beta tested the game for 6 months and would have subbed even back then during phase 2, lol..  

What killed Vanguard was the fact Brad ran out of funding for the game. All the testers knew VG wasn't ready for release when we received the announcement before everyone else in early December of 2006... We were getting ready to test pvp at the time and other changes/upgrades were in the mix for the upcoming months such as a new  upgraded character creation system, and revamped classes..  PvP testing was going to help with new class revamps.. The new Character creation system was supposed to add more enhanced model animations, and Sigil was still working out the kinks of the performance, stability, and mob warping issue..

All of this was going to take at least another 3-6 months to complete..  If Brad would have recieved a bit more funding, more help, and a little more time, who knows where Vanguard would be tight now...

It's funny because when SOE took over and literally CHANGED the game by removing the item expertise feature, giving all items level recommendations, and making all items BOE or Soulbound, I along with many thousands of others couldn't believe they'd change the core structure of a system so awesome since EQ,, so that was when thousands left..

People were beginning to leave 2 months after release, not because of the performance issue, but because there was little content past Thel and VT mid to upper 30 dungeons.. Not only that, but the levfel 40-50 areas were horribly bugged at the time.. Many people wouldn't give up so we just rolled alts and tried giving sigil time to fix the issues..

See, many thousands of people were behind Brad and Sigl. We backed them and knew it wasn't their fault for releasing the game prematurely. Most of us would have stayed and given Sigil time to fix what needed to get fixed to help make Vanguard truly legendary..  When SOE took over, it all went downhill from there.. Those who do not understand the truth just say the game had horrible performance so I quit, lol. Well these gamers obviously weren't part of the many thousands of people who understood it would take some time fixing what needed fixing and implementing what needed to be implemented.. We knew the game was forced to launch at least 3-6 months before it was ready, and we were willing to play through the problems because we trusted Sigil to fix the problems and make things right...  During those last days of Sigil, SOE really screwed Brad hardcore until he had no choice but to leave. Then SOE takes over and tries to change the game mechanics and make it more like a EQ2 crappy clone... This was back in mid 2007 and SOE obviously didn't want Vanguard to compete with EQ2, so literally once they took over, many thousands still playing the game all literally quit at once.. Many of my old guildmates went back to EQ2, just like SOE had hoped during that time...

This business is really cruel, greedy, and out for blood lol..

But ya, Vanguard could have been great even If someone else decided to buy its rights... The game Sigil created was awesome. It just needed to work out a bit of kinks and finish the class revamps for it to have been great... 

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• Justley3Justley3 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by oakthornn

Vanguard could have been the only true successor to the original Everquest.. I beta tested the game for 6 months and would have subbed even back then during phase 2, lol..  

What killed Vanguard was the fact Brad ran out of funding for the game. All the testers knew VG wasn't ready for release when we received the announcement before everyone else in early December of 2006... We were getting ready to test pvp at the time and other changes/upgrades were in the mix for the upcoming months such as a new  upgraded character creation system, and revamped classes..  PvP testing was going to help with new class revamps.. The new Character creation system was supposed to add more enhanced model animations, and Sigil was still working out the kinks of the performance, stability, and mob warping issue..

All of this was going to take at least another 3-6 months to complete..  If Brad would have recieved a bit more funding, more help, and a little more time, who knows where Vanguard would be tight now...

It's funny because when SOE took over and literally CHANGED the game by removing the item expertise feature, giving all items level recommendations, and making all items BOE or Soulbound, I along with many thousands of others couldn't believe they'd change the core structure of a system so awesome since EQ,, so that was when thousands left..

People were beginning to leave 2 months after release, not because of the performance issue, but because there was little content past Thel and VT mid to upper 30 dungeons.. Not only that, but the levfel 40-50 areas were horribly bugged at the time.. Many people wouldn't give up so we just rolled alts and tried giving sigil time to fix the issues..

See, many thousands of people were behind Brad and Sigl. We backed them and knew it wasn't their fault for releasing the game prematurely. Most of us would have stayed and given Sigil time to fix what needed to get fixed to help make Vanguard truly legendary..  When SOE took over, it all went downhill from there.. Those who do not understand the truth just say the game had horrible performance so I quit, lol. Well these gamers obviously weren't part of the many thousands of people who understood it would take some time fixing what needed fixing and implementing what needed to be implemented.. We knew the game was forced to launch at least 3-6 months before it was ready, and we were willing to play through the problems because we trusted Sigil to fix the problems and make things right...  During those last days of Sigil, SOE really screwed Brad hardcore until he had no choice but to leave. Then SOE takes over and tries to change the game mechanics and make it more like a EQ2 crappy clone... This was back in mid 2007 and SOE obviously didn't want Vanguard to compete with EQ2, so literally once they took over, many thousands still playing the game all literally quit at once.. Many of my old guildmates went back to EQ2, just like SOE had hoped during that time...

But ya, Vanguard could have been great even If someone else decided to buy its rights... The game Sigil created was awesome. It just needed to work out a bit of kinks and finish the class revamps for it to have been great... 

+1 Well said.

Gamer-4-Life

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

From someone who played both VG and EQII there was never any question that I preferred VG...It really was not close to be honest...Not that I think EQII is a bad Game, but Vanguard had something more...Even with the tremendous performance issues and bugs most of us knew it was a really special Game...I have never had any doubt that SOE's plan all along was to permanently put VG in the backseat while they push their inferior product...But to be honest it's understandable...They have a heck of a lot more invested in EQII...WAY more...I think the fact that they still have Vanguard up and running is proof enough they understand what an incredible Game it really is...But SOE knew they needed to get control of VG just to keep it from being any threat to EQII...If they had put equal resources into VG that they have given EQII, VG would be crushing EQII in Sub numbers by now...And that's the last think SOE wants...image

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Bashir

yeah it's sony, and yeah you guys hate them, but the game isn't horrible. 

go ahead and flame away. 

Actually, Vanguard is one of the reasons we hate Sony. 

Vanguard was made by Sigil, that's why its a great game.

The reason it has no players, is purely because of Sony. 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Enjoying the hell out of  the game early on is normal for Vanguard....and true for many other games when they're new & fresh.  Vanguard's weakenss was never the early parts of the game, it was always (and still is) the later parts of the game.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

well, a few days in and man,  the game world is HUGE.  still having fun.  only lvl 14 but i'm gettin there.  so far so good.

• TralakTralak Member Posts: 78

kinda off topic here sorry : i want to test the game but on sony launcher when i click Vanguard or any other game i receive a message "this page cannot be found error" Web browser error.

Originally posted by Tralak

kinda off topic here sorry : i want to test the game but on sony launcher when i click Vanguard or any other game i receive a message "this page cannot be found error" Web browser error.

you might want to send an email to their support or check their help page.  i haven't had anything like that happen yet. 

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by Mardy

Enjoying the hell out of  the game early on is normal for Vanguard....and true for many other games when they're new & fresh.  Vanguard's weakenss was never the early parts of the game, it was always (and still is) the later parts of the game.

Meh I still say the HL quests, which offer overpowered rewards and discourage adding more than absolutely encessary to a group is one of the worst parts. Drives many a would be player away.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

well said and i did it give it that 6-9 month.

Final nail in the coffin came for me with the Ranger changes (mana used for Ranged not endurance as was previous) that no class wanted the least not actual Rangers I remeber a 90+ page thread on the forums (completely unheard of then and I'm not sure if has been eclipsed since) in response to the upcoming changes and nobody wanted it.

What happened ?  yes it got pushed live within 2 weeks anyway without providing any form of armour trade in or even useful armour sets, many had just finished up there swamp armour that was now absolutely useless to a Ranger.

I always vowed after NGE that I would not get shafted by a another change by SOE that completely ignores the playerbase thus quit.  I have returned a couple of times since but whilst VG is the game I'm looking for the Eu side of things just doesnt have a population to sustain it.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I played the game from beta out 2 years. For someone to sit on these forums and claim that the majority of people that left that say they left due to poor performance is not true is completely innacurate. The majority of poeple who left left due to exactly that. Poor performance of the game in the opening months. Now also I believe that this was multiplied with the fact alot of the players that came to the game thought their computer could run the game because it met the minimum required specs (on the box) to play. Which in all honesty computers that had even the recommended specs (on the box) were still in for a bumpy ride at release due to poor optimization with the game code.

Now I will agree SOE did come in and change things that alot of people didnt like. I personally didnt like some of the things they did. Example would be completely overhauling the faction system in the game to make things easier for people to travel into areas that were once hostile. Which ruined immersion. I did though like some of the things they did, Example Rift stones which helped me actually be able to possibly reach my friends and play instead of spend hours running thru a HUGE world just be able play.

Another thing that seemed to drive people away in droves was the launch of LoTRO.. I remember entire guilds seemed to melt away on my server when LoTRO launched. I know even the guild I was in was effected when we had members that were in the open beta started talking about how well the game ran and how fun it was. When LoTRO finally did launch alot of people decided to go over and give it a try and then never returned

To the OP though. Vanguard is a great game now, unfortunately the plug has already been pulled for the game. SOE has it running on life support much like what happened to The Matrix Online. I give it another 6 months before the game is eventually gone forever. Which is sad. Now I left for my own reasons but Vanguard still is one of the best games I ever explored. Even with all the poor optimization, bugs and such that plaqued the game at the early stage I still love it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

it'd be a real shame if this game were to die off forever.  i haven't had this much fun in an mmo in a long time.  wish i would've gotten here sooner.  now that i have a computer that can play it, i'm enjoying it a lot.  i can't believe the detail and size of the dungeons/caves/mines in this game. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다