Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Vid card to get?

MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

Hey all, i asked about overclocking earlier and someone asked what Vid card i was gonna buy and honestly i have no idea, i usually buy from tigerdirect.com so i was just gonna browse aronud until i found something i thought was good but if anyone has any advice of a vid card that runs FFXIV great with no complications I'd love to know!

Thx!

Comments

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Get the GTX 460, GTX 470 or GTX 480. You will love yourself for doing it.

Also join Besaid server and my LS would love to have you. We are kinda big, but really friendly and helpful and we have vent for those who like to use it, we also have good text convos though. Message me if you are interested.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

sounds awesome! thanks for the invite to your server i will message you for sure! can't wait to play!

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

Look at best video cards for the money @ Tom's Hardware.

NP! Look forward to hearing from ya. Also I forgot. If you do go GTX 460 make sure you get the one with 1 gb of ram. Id reccomend going GTX 470, since thats what I have and aside from having a 5 year old CPU it works great.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

Originally posted by ghaleonx128

I disagree get a GTX 470 beast and you will never be disapointed. You will forget that you spent 350 dollars. If you get another card, you will never forget that your performance could be better if you spent 50-100 dollars more.

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• AZAlex86AZAlex86 Member UncommonPosts: 157

I just purchased a second GTX470 at Fry's Electronics for $239 with no rebate to wait for. Their GTX460s were $259 after rebate, so this was one hell of a deal. They have eVGA and Galaxy's to choose from; I went with eVGA because I have a long history with them, but the first I purchased was Galaxy and it's still running strong. They said the deal will last until they sell out their stock.

Definitely worth checking if you happen to have a Fry's or equivalent store nearby.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Seconded.  The VGA charts here are a great way to research what a card really does as opposed to what it says on the box or title.  Cross-reference that with the price of the cards on a place like newegg.com, and you'll be able to get the best bang for your buck.

Personall, I run the game quite tolerably on a GeForce 250 GTS, and that's a relative budget card at about $100.  If you've got $250 to spare (which is what a GeForce 460 is) you should be able to blow me out of the water.

I hear SLi compatibility isn't all that great, stick with single video cards for FFXIV's purposes.  Although NVIDIA may fix this in later drivers... that's a bit of a gamble.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

For some reason, I'm thinking there are a lot of Nvidia users who have reported having technical issues in FFXIV.  There are people who have also had issues with ATI cards (myself included), but  the issue isn't quite as prevalent.

Short story, the game's optimization is garbage, but I feel like whatever card you go with, the game will run better in time.

• kenedakeneda Member UncommonPosts: 52

I play with a 5870 and the game runs just fine , ATI are cheaper and are great graphic Card.

My name is Asher Targaryen in game by the way, so u can message me to join the ls. Remember Besaid server

I love snails.
    Cant hug every snail.

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by keneda

I play with a 5870 and the game runs just fine , ATI are cheaper and are great graphic Card.

thats the card to get unless you have too much $$$ and buy 5970

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by CodeFuzer

Originally posted by keneda

thats the card to get unless you have too much $$$ and buy 5970

I bought two 5870s.  Not sure why I didn't just get one 5970 (Crossfire sucks).  Probably going to pickup a new card once ATI finishes with the 5xxx series.

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

If you have 5870 in CF, buying new cards anytime soon would be a waste.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

I am running the game at absolute max settings (minus ambient occlusion and depth of field) with an E8400 at 3 ghz, and a HD5770 at 1680x1050. I am getting over 30fps on average. Much more outside of town. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by Belarion

I disagree get a GTX 470 beast and you will never be disapointed. You will forget that you spent 350 dollars. If you get another card, you will never forget that your performance could be better if you spent 50-100 dollars more.

If you're going to spend $350, you can get something much, much nicer than a GTX 470:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476

Or you can get the essentially the same performance (actually better performance in FFXIV) for much cheaper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127500

The GeForce GTX 470 also uses obscene amounts of power.  The reference cards get dangerously hot under real gaming loads, so if it would particularly bother you if the card dies entirely, you'll need a non-reference version with a superior cooler.  That is, not a reference card, and not Palit's non-reference card.  Galaxy, MSI, Zotac, and Gigabyte all have good GTX 470s, but they tend to be more expensive than the reference cards.

-----

The problem with the Tom's Hardware charts is that they focus exclusively on the price tag and nominal average frame rates.  This means that they're way, way, way too fond of CrossFire and SLI setups, because they ignore the problems of multi GPU setups and the extra costs of a larger power bill, a more expensive motherboard, and a stronger power supply.  Those can easily add $50 to the price tag, and sometimes $100 or more.  Meanwhile, it overestimates the real world performance of multi GPU setups substantially, by disregarding microstutter, additional noise, a greater likelyhood of parts failure, and more driver problems.

Their latest best value for the money list mysteriously and inexcusably omits the Radeon HD 5850.  At around $260 when the chart launched, it offered better performance per dollar than the GTX 470, and that's even ignoring the heat, power, and noise issues that would tilt things further in the 5850's favor.