Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Cities

elihupelihup Member Posts: 102

Cities in FFXIV are teeming with life and activity among real players.  It isnt just in one or two areas either, everywhere you go in the cities, there are a lot of players.  Players are all around the levequest npcs, repair npc, the npc market places, guilds, and everywhere you look there are players standing around selling their wares.  Real people and activity is what makes an MMO city feel like a real city.  What did FFXIV do right in this regard where so many others have ended up with dead, lifeless cities?

Comments

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by elihup

Cities in FFXIV are teeming with life and activity among real players.  It isnt just in one or two areas either, everywhere you go in the cities, there are a lot of players.  Players are all around the levequest npcs, repair npc, the npc market places, guilds, and everywhere you look there are players standing around selling their wares.  Real people and activity is what makes an MMO city feel like a real city.  What did FFXIV do right in this regard where so many others have ended up with dead, lifeless cities?

SE eliminated AH;) that is why you see Cities so full of life. Players try to find best possible spot to get attention for their shop. And currently there are so many nice places to set your shop and get as many customers as possible.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Shastra

SE eliminated AH;) that is why you see Cities so full of life. Players try to find best possible spot to get attention for their shop. And currently there are so many nice places to set your shop and get as many customers as possible.

This does somewhat remind me of Lineage II that never had an AH at all, and in Giran you were almost unable to walk at all due to all players and the lag they caused (even after ALT-P). I hope SE will indeed implement an AH as well, and FFXIV has an option to lower settings with one keystroke as in L2.

...can't wait for my copy of FFXIV to be shipped and delivered. I know I ordered it a bit late...

Originally posted by Reizla

This does somewhat remind me of Lineage II that never had an AH at all, and in Giran you were almost unable to walk at all due to all players and the lag they caused (even after ALT-P). I hope SE will indeed implement an AH as well, and FFXIV has an option to lower settings with one keystroke as in L2.

...can't wait for my copy of FFXIV to be shipped and delivered. I know I ordered it a bit late...

I don't know about other cities and servers. But on my server in Limsa you won't see a lot of people just randomly standing at  aplace with shops. When you see group of 5 to 6 people already hogging a spot, smart thing is to move to some other place. And cities are huge so plenty of places to see your shop away from crowd. That is why hardly any lag because player shops are scattered in different areas of city.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

It is less then a week old, those would be places that a lot of people are going to huddle around. I do agree with what other members are saying though. Perhaps those would be reasons that the cities will stay this way, but for now it has a lot to do with the game being so fresh.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

There are only 3 of them. Easy to get people bunched up when there are no alternatives.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by Naqaj

There are only 3 of them. Easy to get people bunched up when there are no alternatives.

3 huge cities at start is a good thing. No point seperating the population anymore considering there are no fast means to travel yet in game.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by kaltoum

3 huge cities at start is a good thing. No point seperating the population anymore considering there are no fast means to travel yet in game.

An other reason it's a good thing: re-play value when you reroll... I don't see the use to start a new character in a game where you have only one way to walk till a certain point (as in Aion, Allods and a lot of other games). I really hate to reroll and walk the same path all over again...

An other reason it's a good thing: re-play value when you reroll... I don't see the use to start a new character in a game where you have only one way to walk till a certain point (as in Aion, Allods and a lot of other games). I really hate to reroll and walk the same path all over again...

All 3 cities have their unique storylines and cut scenes so i agree it adds a replay value.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

All 3 cities have their unique storylines and cut scenes so i agree it adds a replay value.

Considering that the 3 unique stories for each city are linear quests, I would not call this replay value.  Replay means playing the same arc again and again and able to still enjoy it for whatever reason.  Each city is different so you are not replaying anything.

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Considering that the 3 unique stories for each city are linear quests, I would not call this replay value.  Replay means playing the same arc again and again and able to still enjoy it for whatever reason.  Each city is different so you are not replaying anything.

Is there a concrete definition of replay value? guess not. Different people have their different ways to get most out of their alts. I don't remember a single MMO where i didn't follow a linear story line. i had 4 alts in AOC and i got sick of Tortage. Atleast its better in FFXIV in case i want to start an alt.

SE charges you 3 dollars per alt per month.  SE does not want players starting over and over again.  I can say this because such a cost would be ridiculous in any other MMO in which  most offer multiple character slots at no extra charge.

So to enjoy the other 2/3 of FFXIV you either delete your current character or pay them more money for a different story.  Sounds like quest packs in a F2P game.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

SE charges you 3 dollars per alt per month.  SE does not want players starting over and over again.  I can say this because such a cost would be ridiculous in any other MMO in which  most offer multiple character slots at no extra charge.

So to enjoy the other 2/3 of FFXIV you either delete your current character or pay them more money for a different story.  Sounds like quest packs in a F2P game.

I have 2 alts and it will cost me 16 bucks. Not that expensive compared to fee i have been paying for other MMOS. I am sure people can afford 2 or 3 alts. Even though there is hardly any need for alts.

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105

why would you want to re-roll in ffxiv ?

you can level all clases and reassign stats(partial) so there really is no need to have an alt

retainers will hold your extra stuff and even sell it for you

Originally posted by CodeFuzer

you can level all clases and reassign stats(partial) so there really is no need to have an alt

The story arc is based on which city you decide to start so if you want the othe stories you are required to have alts.

Originally posted by CodeFuzer

To get away from your usual linkshell and just have your own personal time maybe? also leveling all 8 crafting skills on one character gets very confusing and cluttered. Some people just like to keep an alt where they can just relax and not worry about ignoring their linkshell members or friends.

• DragondieDragondie Member UncommonPosts: 43

I don't know if you realize but almost all new mmorpg have tons of players in the city's with FF14 people are spending most of there time trying to figure out we're a npc is to buy a simple item. After 30 day free trials up you will see a lot less people FF14 will fail the die hard fans will be the only ones playing.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

It's a new game, and people are playing low level toons.  Lets see if the OP can still make such a statement a year or two into the game's release.  I can say with absolute certainty that this certainly isn't not the case with FFXI.  Seven years after the game's release, the three starting cities are all but dead.

On the other hand, World of Warcraft, a game with an AH, has some of the most active cities of any MMORPG on the market today.  That game is only one year younger than the previous Final Fantasy MMO.

Originally posted by dragon1su2

I don't know if you realize but almost all new mmorpg have tons of players in the city's with FF14 people are spending most of there time trying to figure out we're a npc is to buy a simple item. After 30 day free trials up you will see a lot less people FF14 will fail the die hard fans will be the only ones playing.

A term very loosely used on this site. And its not a bad thing if only die hard fans will be left playing. Close knit communitties in MMOS are always best compared to million aka WOW.

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by dragon1su2

I seem to remember this being said about WAR and AOC and they're doing fine. But hey, if it's easier for you to be a jerkoff than let people enjoy playing a game, maybe multiplayer games aren't for you. Perhaps you'd prefer a nice round of Bejeweled?

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

FFXI allowed you to change nations and play through the other nations story lines. Wouldn't be supprised if they do the same here.....

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Xzen

FFXI allowed you to change nations and play through the other nations story lines. Wouldn't be supprised if they do the same here.....

This ^^

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

So more features that could have easily been put in at launch but weren't because the game was rushed out the door? (if they did it in FFXI sure porting it would be extremely difficult)

Predictions will only go so far and many have already been wrong. UI still lags (improved but lags. It isn't gone), hidden content did not exist, the client is not vastly bigger than OB client, etc etc.

And no I don't hate FFXIV because I had to change my pants the first time I logged on OB but SHINYitis soon faded and the "is this all" quickly set in.

Here is to hoping FFXIV actually becomes a real MMO at some point in the future.

• elihupelihup Member Posts: 102

So more features that could have easily been put in at launch but weren't because the game was rushed out the door? (if they did it in FFXI sure porting it would be extremely difficult)

Predictions will only go so far and many have already been wrong. UI still lags (improved but lags. It isn't gone), hidden content did not exist, the client is not vastly bigger than OB client, etc etc.

And no I don't hate FFXIV because I had to change my pants the first time I logged on OB but SHINYitis soon faded and the "is this all" quickly set in.

Here is to hoping FFXIV actually becomes a real MMO at some point in the future.

I dont think FFXIV was rushed out the door.  The game runs very well, and is very well polished for a game just released.  Server lag is the main problem with the game, but I have already noticed that drastically improving as the population spreads throughout the world.  Sure there are some features that they could easily add, but this could be design decisions rather than rushing release.  With the current stable state of the game, I dont see any reason why they should have delayed the release. 

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

If you want to experience all three story arcs in FFXIV, yes, you will need three characters.  But that doesn't mean you have to pay for all three at once.

Make a second character ID, cancel your first, play a different nation.  When your done, cancel that one, make a new one for the third nation, play.

No, you wont be able to pick and choose which character you want to play each month, but if 3 or 6$/month extra is too much for you, you CAN still play all three nations without uping the monthly fee.

Just takes a bit of work cancelling and activating different character IDs each month.