Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To overclock or not to overclock

MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

Hey all, trying to make this game run on my comp and just need a little advice, pretty much my computer sucks but i know if i get a new vid card and some more RAM and overlock ill be able to run on lowish to normal settings, which is fine for me,

so i ask should i get the new memory and vid card then go for the overclock task or just overclock now and see how it works?

thanks all!

Comments

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

If you got a new videocard, you probably wouldn't need to overclock....of course it depends on the price.  But even cheap new cards should be able to run the game, I do fine with a 3870...which is like 4 years old.

I've tried OCing this card but the gains are pretty minimal, maybe 8%.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

i use a 9800gtx+... I use to overclock the card, but stop overclocking it. It runs this game on max settings or high settings just fine without overclocking it.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Mageick

Hey all, trying to make this game run on my comp and just need a little advice, pretty much my computer sucks but i know if i get a new vid card and some more RAM and overlock ill be able to run on lowish to normal settings, which is fine for me,

so i ask should i get the new memory and vid card then go for the overclock task or just overclock now and see how it works?

thanks all!

Please tell us what video card you are planning to buy. I can help you more that way.

• NoxxyNoxxy Member Posts: 6

If you are refering to overclocking your system in general, check to see if you have an option in BIOS to overclock your system. I would try that but not more than 10%. If you mean to overclock your video card, I would probably just buy a new one or if you feel you have enough cooling maybe run one of the common NVIDIA/ATI overclocking tools that run in Windows.

See, proper system overclocking of 20%+ takes a while to do unless you are the luckiest SOB on the planet. It took me close to 2 weeks to get my system stable @ 30% over clocked.

In any case, if you do want to overclock more than 20%, make sure you have the latest BIOS version. Then always start with overclocking your memory and test it with memory programs like highmem. Once you get this stable, you start with the CPU basics like multiplier and MHz and test the results by running at least 8 hours with PI calculators ( believe the one I was using was OCCT). If you have the options you might need end with adjusting mV diffrences between your cores if you have a multi core CPU.

Like I said, its a lot of work and best bet would be to read up on it on online forums.

• AnimatorKidAnimatorKid Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Mageick

thanks all!

It sounds like you and your system can't handle overclocking.

• In Open Beta game was smooth on maximum settings with my GTS 250 1gb gfx card.But after overclocked to CPU, i see huge performance boost in-game. My CPU Intel Quad Core 2.66GHz and overclocked it to 3.2GHz.

Shortly this game likes multi-core CPU with very high speed, if you dont have good enough CPU its not worth it to overclock your gfx card.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Also wanted to add that I over clock my 940 Quad 3.0 ghz, to 3.3 ghz...     I think it improves the game. If you can try to OC your system just enough to where you don't have to crank up the voltage. As long as you don't need to crank that up, then you don't really have to worry about your system over heating.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"