Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Never Tell Me The Odds!

2»

Comments

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

I have removed SWTOR from my fave game list  -  its not that I dont like the game so far.  Its that I dont like the bitching

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Hey guys, lets stay on topic and refrain from baiting other  users into an arguement. Please remember to follow the RoC. Thanks!

• droinidroini Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by MikeB

I really don't see how writing that the Smuggler has the most potential to make good use of the game's space combat system despite the fact I'm not a fan of the direction Bioware went with it is considered "nit picking" about space combat. I was being positive, actually. :)

Also, as for SWG comparisons, whether you like it or not, it is the only existing Star Wars MMO other than Clone Wars Adventures, there are going to be comparisons. While the game was overall a failure, it did some good things, and I'd be silly not to reference them. My mention of SWG in this article was never used to paint TOR in a negative light. The only time I mentioned it was to say that SWG offered some interesting gameplay for their Smuggler class and I am hopeful that Smugglers in TOR will also feature something unique for them to do.

Yes. It is just said that everyone thinks everyone is nit picking,Because there are some many that do. Now I for one didn't think u Bashed ToR like MMORPG does 90% of the time. I'm another person that anyone on the Site knows I hate space in ToR,But am hopeful for expanstion. Anywho I don't see anything wronmg with your report. I also would have liked to see some SWG stuff used in ToR . 98% of SWG was Worthless but they did get a couple things right that no other MMO has. I havbe played about every MMO that has been out for a Month up 10+ years. Being a KotOR Fanboi I think ToR will be my last MMO and something I play for life.(If they do give us all our MMO candy)

• DraneanDranean Member Posts: 77

A written text can be read in 2 ways depending on your own mood.

You wake up and your moody.. look at this story and start ranting about the comparison as you see it negative.

Or..

You wake up and cheery... You look at this story and thank the writer for taking his time. But not believe a word of it until you actually get your hands on it and see it for yourself.

Anyway, Thanks for taking your time to post this. I am not much fan of the smuggler as I am more interessed in swinging a lightsaber around and hopefully hurt some people :) But I am very curious at the same time about what this MMORPG will offer me content wise.

• JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36

So, I'm seeing a lot of comments giving the author a hard time for the SWG comparisons, which is probably equally eye-rolling to me as well.  The games aren't the same.  Period.  However, the part of the article I DO side with the author about, is the Smuggler's 1st companion being a wookie.  I realize that there will likely be dozens of other companions, but the fact that the 1st option will supposedly be a wookie is another eye-rolling  moment.

Personally, I find it impossible to relate to players wanting to 'BE' Luke, or Han, or whatever other established character, (which is why SWG originally appealed to me - I already know what happened in their story, I wanted to know what else was going elsewhere while that story was playing out.)  I could understand wanting to play a character 'LIKE' Luke, or Han, or whoever, but I want to put my own spin on it.  I don't like the fact that there will be thousands of 'Luuke', 'Lukke', 'Lukee', 'Lluke', etc. ad nauseum idiots running around for every established character as it is - it's just stupid, but par for the course w/ this IP.

Bioware's work on the story aspect of the game is commendable for it's ambition, but I am doubtful it will be as an unique experience as many of you fanboi's believe it will be.  Theme park will only allow for so much 'uniqueness' after all.

The author's observations / opinions / perspectives are based around comparisons to other Star Wars games because it's easiest to draw comparisons from other Star Wars games - imagine that?  Pre-CU SWG players will compare the two because it's the only other game in the same genre w/ the same IP.  I'm an SWG vet myself, and I have let go of what happened to SWG, and while I enjoyed my time there immensely I don't expect that it will ever be replicated as it is much more profitable / mass-appealing to put games 'on rails' so that they have the 'pick it up and play' feel of console games.  Casual players will continue to dictate the course of MMO development forever more.  I've never been a 'hardcore' player of any game, but I have never been a 'it's not fair I can't do what the hardcore players do!' -crybaby either.

Everyone just needs to stop getting so defensive about other people's opinions about a game that isn't out yet.  Fanboi's - Not everyone thinks that ToR will be the most phenomenol thing ever just cause Bioware wants to tell you a story.  Whistful SWG Vets - The game you enjoyed does not exist anymore.  It won't ever again.  Let that sink in.  Wait and see if ToR will still be fun for what it probably will be - a massively-multiplayer console game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by dirtyjoe78

Originally posted by sungodra

Was a good article until you started nit picking about the space combat again.  Then you went ahead and starting comparing it to what SWG had.  You complain about what companion class they revealed oddly enough every wookie isint Chewy, while you can see some obvious similarities to the original movies do you really need to nit pick it?  How about you write an article that isint one sided and bitching about how SW:ToR isin't SWG or xwing vs tie fighter and just bring us some game information so we can make an informed decision about the quality of the game thats somewhat unfiltered by your evident bias.

The comparisons are starting to become annoying. SWG is not the first star wars game, although it is the first Star wars MMO.

If you want swg, go play it. Simple as that. This is a whole new Star Wars game that is going in its own direction as to what it wants to be and who it is intended to appeal to.

Exactly i am sick of SWG vets crying because their game got yanked out from under them.  While i can understand the dissapointment and anger at that kind of thing happening its time to let it go.  SW:ToR isint SWG stop drawing comparisons to it and any other SW game.  Its difficult to get an unbiased review or information on the game due to the SWG vets comparing every little thing to what they remember seeing through their rose tinted glasses.

Oh quit your whining.  Nothing wrong with comparing to previous MMO's, every pundit does it.  The thing that concerns me about SWTOR is that it introduces nothing new to the genre.  It is just basically Wow in the Star Wars IP.  Crafting an after thought, economy an after thought, just lots of voiced over questing with easy mode their primary concern.  Sure it will attract lots of casual players, but it will be boring once you cycle through your alts.

If this game is successful it will just reinforce the Wow model.  A thoroughly depressing thought!

• mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by sungodra

Was a good article until you started nit picking about the space combat again.  Then you went ahead and starting comparing it to what SWG had.  You complain about what companion class they revealed oddly enough every wookie isint Chewy, while you can see some obvious similarities to the original movies do you really need to nit pick it?  How about you write an article that isint one sided and bitching about how SW:ToR isin't SWG or xwing vs tie fighter and just bring us some game information so we can make an informed decision about the quality of the game thats somewhat unfiltered by your evident bias.

The comparisons are starting to become annoying. SWG is not the first star wars game, although it is the first Star wars MMO.

If you want swg, go play it. Simple as that. This is a whole new Star Wars game that is going in its own direction as to what it wants to be and who it is intended to appeal to.

Exactly i am sick of SWG vets crying because their game got yanked out from under them.  While i can understand the dissapointment and anger at that kind of thing happening its time to let it go.  SW:ToR isint SWG stop drawing comparisons to it and any other SW game.  Its difficult to get an unbiased review or information on the game due to the SWG vets comparing every little thing to what they remember seeing through their rose tinted glasses.

Oh quit your whining.  Nothing wrong with comparing to previous MMO's, every pundit does it.  The thing that concerns me about SWTOR is that it introduces nothing new to the genre.  It is just basically Wow in the Star Wars IP.  Crafting an after thought, economy an after thought, just lots of voiced over questing with easy mode their primary concern.  Sure it will attract lots of casual players, but it will be boring once you cycle through your alts.

If this game is successful it will just reinforce the Wow model.  A thoroughly depressing thought!

We have absolutely no information on crafting... yet you have built this ignorant opinion that crafting is an afterthought and speak of it as if it's a fact. 

"boring once you cycle through your alts"... 200 hours of game play per alt... sounds good to me.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by MikeB

I really don't see how writing that the Smuggler has the most potential to make good use of the game's space combat system despite the fact I'm not a fan of the direction Bioware went with it is considered "nit picking" about space combat. I was being positive, actually. :)

Also, as for SWG comparisons, whether you like it or not, it is the only existing Star Wars MMO other than Clone Wars Adventures, there are going to be comparisons. While the game was overall a failure, it did some good things, and I'd be silly not to reference them. My mention of SWG in this article was never used to paint TOR in a negative light. The only time I mentioned it was to say that SWG offered some interesting gameplay for their Smuggler class and I am hopeful that Smugglers in TOR will also feature something unique for them to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spot on.

A word of advice though is to never mention SWG in your articles on ToR, it's like waving a red piece of cloth in front of a raging bull...

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"