Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic?

I loved SWG immensely at release. It was just "WOW!!!!". So sandbox, such great mechanics imo, great combat and crafting.

Has anyone ever addressed the potential for classic servers? 

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

It would be smart, but I don't think they're that smart. 

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Without bug fixing, which would be a ton of work, this game would never fly even if they did put up a classic version. Even though IBM clones are all about being "backwards compatable", in practice it doesnt always work out that way.

So the problem would be two-fold....compatability issues, and bugs originally present in game. All of this in support of a 7 yr old game.

Without those 2 types of fixes, pre-whatever would crash/burn just like it did at launch. If they put the money in, then how much of their playerbase would they get back?

I will never believe that this is Smed's call. If he felt there was a way to make money, he would sell his Mom.

Short answer: Never gonna happen IMO.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by warchant

I loved SWG immensely at release. It was just "WOW!!!!". So sandbox, such great mechanics imo, great combat and crafting.

SOE has stated they will never bring back pre-cu servers so it is a dead subject.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Moaky07

Without those 2 types of fixes, pre-whatever would crash/burn just like it did at launch. If they put the money in, then how much of their playerbase would they get back?

Like it did at Launch? Well...Up until the NGE I did not recognize any crash and burn...To be honest I've thought for some time that was all a big myth used as an excuse for what became the worst decision in the History of MMO's...10,000 Subs lost per Month? Right...I never bought that crap...My Guild was HUGE and hopping and everything seemed pretty darn good...At least in our little world it was...Mo Eis was jam packed all the time...ALL the time...And that was during the CU too...Not just Pre...I still tell the Guildies that came after that they have no idea how cool it was back then...

Greed led to the NGE...Well that and WOW envy...There was no crash and burn...Had they simply expanded on the CU and kept going the Game would still be pretty big...Not WOW big or anything like that...But certainly not the Ghost Town it has become...image

• sif-lawdsif-lawd Member Posts: 3,402

Originally posted by warchant

Only about six hundred thousand times.

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by KyngBills

Originally posted by Moaky07

Like it did at Launch? Well...Up until the NGE I did not recognize any crash and burn...To be honest I've thought for some time that was all a big myth used as an excuse for what became the worst decision in the History of MMO's...10,000 Subs lost per Month? Right...I never bought that crap...My Guild was HUGE and hopping and everything seemed pretty darn good...At least in our little world it was...Mo Eis was jam packed all the time...ALL the time...And that was during the CU too...Not just Pre...I still tell the Guildies that came after that they have no idea how cool it was back then...

Greed led to the NGE...Well that and WOW envy...There was no crash and burn...Had they simply expanded on the CU and kept going the Game would still be pretty big...Not WOW big or anything like that...But certainly not the Ghost Town it has become...image

Im with you on that one.  They always say they were losing so many subs and that the population was falling but it never looked like that from my end.  My friends list was still full of online people and the cities were packed.  No one was screaming for server merges back then, but look at things now.