Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are mmo's not as fun as single player?

2»

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Do not play MMOs if you do not like the genre.  Play SP games and go to SP game forums.  Not everything is for everyone. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by astoria

Originally posted by sidhaethe

I can't play single-player games. They make me feel lonely and claustrophobic, even the old text-based adventure games. I play MMOs for my single-player RPG experience, because they come with the added benefit that I can play along with my friends.

+1

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

MMOs have always compromised some gameplay mechanics in order to support a large number of people playing together. Almost no gameplay mechanics in an MMO are more fun than single player games.

Original (real) MMORPGs made up for this with large scale battles, and social interactivity. Modern day MMOs are trying as hard as they can be to make the game all about soloing, scripted instances, and trying to be like single player games. MMOs have really lost sight of what they're supposed to be. Modern day MMOs are just bad singleplayer games with a chat box and a monthly fee. Old MMOs you'd get raids and battles of hundreds of people, and the main point would be socializing, talking, trading, fight with and against those you met. 

We can blame WoW and games like SWOTOR, making things more and more single player and less MMO each year. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Gintoh

Can anyone here name a single MMO that, with it's existing combat mechanics fully intact, could translate to a fun and entertaining single player experience?

I can't.

I would play a single player version of Asheron's Call myself. Would be fun.

"Why are mmo's not as fun as single player? "

Why are single player games not as fun as MMOs?

I do not enjoy single player games, pretty much at all. I buy "single player" games that have good multiplayer only to play the multiplayer. I can't think of the last time I finished a single player campaign or anything like that. SC2? Played a few missions to get some learning experience then dropped the single player campaign and never played it again. CoD:MW2? One of the shortest single player experiences (or so I've heard) never finished it, but I had been through the multiplayer ranks a couple times within a month of owning it. The list goes on. To me a game is not interesting if other people aren't in there as well, so to me a truly single player game is as boring as it gets.

• vackvack Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by Gintoh

Can anyone here name a single MMO that, with it's existing combat mechanics fully intact, could translate to a fun and entertaining single player experience?

I can't.

Look at the runaway success of games like Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and Alpha Protocol.

Those titles are the experience players want to see translated into an MMO setting and those titles have radically shifted focus to much more enjoyable shooter mechanics while leaving some of the standard, and ultimately worthless, RPG mechanics aside (perfect example would be ME2's minimalist inventory system which is tied to the Normandy rather than Shepard).

Not to be smart but..................Ummmmm the "MM" in MMO means Massevely Multiplayer.

Vack
    FF XIV - the single worse game to cross my hard drive, ever.

• BayonetReconBayonetRecon Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I like the interaction with other people.  Yes I normally solo, but I still interact incredibly with others and I don't get that in a spg.  Other players add a sense of random excitement that to me makes MMO's much, much better than spg's.

I agree.

I enjoy playing single player games but I often find myself missing the random dialogue that would take place either in guild chat or in the cities.  Even the stupid stuff I sometimes miss... so then I stop by here and read the forums.  (J/K)

It's just not the same.  If I went back to playing WoW, I'd instantly have a group of people to start BS'ing again with, run some dungeons, etc. 

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I think a lot of modern MMO's could be replaced as single player games, as that's pretty much how people play them anyway. Games such as Lord of the Rings Online, nobody needed to group in that game until almost max level, and other games such as Champions Online there literally is no need at all to group up with people. So why they didn't refine them a little and make them into single player games in the first place is beyond me. Obviously they just wanted to cash in with the monthly fees and cash shops..