Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard officially corrupt? You make the call.

Comments

• Originally posted by Claes

I dont get it.. Who am I supposed to call?

Ghost Busters!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,211

Originally posted by Belshazzaar

Originally posted by Claes

Ghost Busters!

NO!

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Sorry to hear that, I've never had an issue with billing or getting scammed.

• Originally posted by colddog04

Ghost Busters!

NO!

Yes, I'm afraid so.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Actually you are a victim of social engineering and were suckered into giving away account information. Blizzovision is a victim of this as well as they take the blame. Before responding to any email take a look from where it really came from by looking at the full header - you will see that it is actually from [email protected]il.com or similar.

Archlinux ftw

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182

Originally posted by colddog04

Not another one of these...

User error or hacked email account. He likely bought gold at some point and would never admit it. Even if he didn't, user error or hacked email account. The end.

Gotta love it when people don't read a thread and yet still go on to post. He wasn't complaining about his account being hacked, though that was a topic within his post. His main problem seems to be Blizzard keeps cancelling his accounts, forcing him to re-up every month. The problem with this in his words is, they keep charging him an extra dollar every time he does so.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 223

GHOST BUSTERS!

• Originally posted by FreeBooteR

Actually you are a victim of social engineering and were suckered into giving away account information. Blizzovision is a victim of this as well as they take the blame. Before responding to any email take a look from where it really came from by looking at the full header - you will see that it is actually from [email protected] or similar.

I have an email I only use for my WoW account and I have no fake blizzard emails, and I still got hacked.

• Originally posted by Dudek28

GHOST BUSTERS!

a little late potsie!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,604

Oh boo hoo an extra dollar. Go find 4 quarters for each account, and magically you have another!

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Panther2103

Oh boo hoo an extra dollar. Go find 4 quarters for each account, and magically you have another!

Took you 35 posts to come up with that gem?  Hardly the issue the OP is bringing up don't you think?

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand

• Originally posted by Panther2103

Thats not the point, its the principal of the thing!

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

LOL most companies do that,  they do 1$ charge to check if the account is legit, they 1$ gets refunded to you back within a day or 2.  It happens all the time.

• Originally posted by Aguitha

LOL most companies do that,  they do 1$ charge to check if the account is legit, they 1$ gets refunded to you back within a day or 2.  It happens all the time.

Wow again missing the point, he says they cancel his sub every month so he has to renew it again and again, and by the way he's talking they are not refunding it.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

I highly doubt that they actively do anything in that direction as a company, one unsatisfied employee who knows about it and the company is in deep trouble. Regarding Authenticator -It's a good technology and it makes it idiotproof which is needed when half of your playerbase doesnt know what pishing means. As far as i remember they dont make money on it as the technology isnt that cheap in itself.

Don't misunderstand Blizz has in my opinion made many negative decisions, i hated the way they implemented real id, it could be cool but instead they made it into another security issue but i highly doubt they scam their customers with hacking their accounts.Why should they? If they want money they simply release another virtual item for real cash and people will buy it.

Tl:DR I dont think that they would do anything in that direction as the risk wouldnt be worth the reward.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I think I have to agree that something is very wrong at Blizz. Let me explain:

I stopped playing WoW 3-4 months ago, cancelled my subs and un-installed the game. My PC has AV software and Anti Spyware running. I never respond to the stupid phish mails telling me I got into cata beta or won a celestial mount.

So, no key loggers, no visits to dodgy web sites and no logging into WoW for months. The weekend just gone my mate phones me up to ask if I'm logged in to WoW, which I'm not, and says he can see one of my chars in black temple. Kinda wierd...

I check my email account used on battle net, which is a yahoo account. Can't log in... same with WoW acct management. So anyway, I regain control of the yahoo acct, reset the wow acct password and check the subscription page. It's on a 7 day exemption (I later spoke to blizz sppt and this was a free week promo sent out at the start of this year).

The worrying part of all this is ... how did they get my login details? When speaking to blizz support we went thru all the usual, what av you run etc. Ran the scans, found no suspect software. The guy at Blizz decided he'd pass this on up the food chain because he was worried how the acct was hacked. Now I know people will say things like " ah but you did x,y,z and blah, blah" but it's not like I'm a clueless technophobe. I have nearly 20 years as an IT professional under my belt and I know a thing or three about securing my PC. So far I have found nothing to indicate I was hacked at this end.

Isn't the internet fun?

edited: spelling

I had a old friend of mine who got hack a while back.  Despite my attempts to warn him, he did something not too bright.  He used the same login and password at multiple sites.  Never do that.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Aison2

I highly doubt that they actively do anything in that direction as a company, one unsatisfied employee who knows about it and the company is in deep trouble. Regarding Authenticator -It's a good technology and it makes it idiotproof which is needed when half of your playerbase doesnt know what pishing means. As far as i remember they dont make money on it as the technology isnt that cheap in itself.

Don't misunderstand Blizz has in my opinion made many negative decisions, i hated the way they implemented real id, it could be cool but instead they made it into another security issue but i highly doubt they scam their customers with hacking their accounts.Why should they? If they want money they simply release another virtual item for real cash and people will buy it.

Tl:DR I dont think that they would do anything in that direction as the risk wouldnt be worth the reward.

Don't put it past them. Why not release another virtual item and continue to hack accounts and make even more money? Its all about the money. The amount of accounts that get hacked is just to high for user error. Something is going on. You have activision as well. This company has recently become a company that milks all it can. Call of Duty series for example, so popular they just reskin the game and sell it as CoDx. Makes money. Even charge more than usual for the game. Normal PC game in UK is around £24.99, sometimes £19.99. CoD is £35. Acitivison will no doubt have something to do with whats going on with accounts for WoW. No doubt in my mind.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by FreddyNoNose

I stopped playing WoW 3-4 months ago, cancelled my subs and un-installed the game. My PC has AV software and Anti Spyware running. I never respond to the stupid phish mails telling me I got into cata beta or won a celestial mount.

So, no key loggers, no visits to dodgy web sites and no logging into WoW for months. The weekend just gone my mate phones me up to ask if I'm logged in to WoW, which I'm not, and says he can see one of my chars in black temple. Kinda wierd...

I check my email account used on battle net, which is a yahoo account. Can't log in... same with WoW acct management. So anyway, I regain control of the yahoo acct, reset the wow acct password and check the subscription page. It's on a 7 day exemption (I later spoke to blizz sppt and this was a free week promo sent out at the start of this year).

The worrying part of all this is ... how did they get my login details? When speaking to blizz support we went thru all the usual, what av you run etc. Ran the scans, found no suspect software. The guy at Blizz decided he'd pass this on up the food chain because he was worried how the acct was hacked. Now I know people will say things like " ah but you did x,y,z and blah, blah" but it's not like I'm a clueless technophobe. I have nearly 20 years as an IT professional under my belt and I know a thing or three about securing my PC. So far I have found nothing to indicate I was hacked at this end.

Isn't the internet fun?

I had a old friend of mine who got hack a while back.  Despite my attempts to warn him, he did something not too bright.  He used the same login and password at multiple sites.  Never do that.

Ouch, the possible abuse coming from that would be huge. 

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Isn't the internet fun?

I can second all this, since I had it the same. But where I think they got info is tru a trojan. Something called w301.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Aguitha

Wow again missing the point, he says they cancel his sub every month so he has to renew it again and again, and by the way he's talking they are not refunding it.

I've explained this already in this thread, he is not being permanently charged.

Essentially he looked at his online statement and saw the $1 HOLD (it is not a charge, it is never a charge, it is not something you ever pay). That hold disappears after a day or two usually (how quickly it disappears is up to your bank). Several MMOs and even other companies not related to gaming use this method of credit card verification.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

So, the interesting thing I noticed this month when resubscribing was that Blizzard now charges $1 extra to verify your financial account. I was like hmm, so Blizzard keeps cancelling my recurring subscription so I can pay them $1 for each account I reactivate, nice.

Sure, it's only $1 to us the customer, but how many people are having their subscriptions just randomly cancelled for no reason? You make the call.

It is called a hold, it is never actually a charged value. It is basically a simple check to make sure the credit card is valid. As others have said, many places do this, many MMOs do this, the fact that so many people are just noticing this lately shows how many people do not keep accurate track of their finances.

Turbine does it as well and all these people jumped on the scam bandwagon there too, without having knowledge of what is actually happening.

Pre-auth charges, if done properly, aren't supposed to show up on CC statements when the period has ended. The alternative is that they charge the account, then either credit the amount and charge less for the full purchase, or they do a chargeback for that same amount. If there is a $1 charge showing up on your CC statement when the period has closed, with no credit to the full purchase or chargeback listed (or that happened in the next billing period), it means they are actually charging you for that amount.

In most cases the billing is just sloppily done, but everything is legitimate. Though, there are many cases where the company is either intention or unintentionally keeping the "temporarily" charged amount, so it's always smart to keep an out out on those things.

As per battle.net... It's a terribly designed system with massive sevurity flaws.

They are not charges, they are holds, there is a large difference between the two terms. I also don't believe most people are noticing these on their end of month statements, they are noticing them when they check their account online and it will appear there while the hold is active and the bank will generally remove the entry once the hold has cleared.

That's what I was explaining, a pre-authorization, aka a hold, will appear on the 'real-time' statement if you login online and view it, but it only lasts until it is canceled, commited, or it expires after a 48 hour period. Despite that, sometimes billing departments screw up and actually commit a pre-authorized charge when they only intended to use it as a billing confirmation, which ends up with the customer actually being charged that amount.

Not all billing systems are setup to use pre-authorizations though, and they do it the sloppy way of actually charging a nominal fee, usually between a few cents to a dollar, and then just doing a chargeback or crediting the customer later on... but they sometimes forget or have a system glitch which causes them to not do the chargeback or to credit the customer.

It's not an uncommon occurance. People just usually don't notice it when it does happens because it's usually for a very small amount, and you won't actually catch it unless you comb over all of your CC statements.

It's not out of the question that Blizzard may have inadvertantly charged customers when they meant to only do a pre-auth to confirm valid payment. I know they've had a lot of billing screw ups in the past, such as people who have canceled accounts still being charged, double charging people, etc.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 810

Let's be honest, the authenticator is a scam. Blizzard is having a hay day by screwing their customers out of $7 more because their battle.net system is worthless.

I like to know why you think this product they are selling is a scam? Other games are using authenticator devices, FFXIV to name one.

To bring it up a notch, most banks offer it for logging into your commercial accounts online.  Cell phone companies use the device to access and turn off the alarm system at cell phone tower buildings.

So the product does work and is very hard to nearly impossible to crack since that particular Authenticator serial number (not the display number) is tied to your account and that the display number changes every time you press the button.

$6.50 is not much considering how much time and effort you can put into a game and just have it taken away because you believe it doesnt work or you rather use that money for a combo meal at McDonalds. 

I wish all MMOs had the option to use a device like that. I know what its like to have an account stolen. Happened to me on a SOE account.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Aguitha

I've explained this already in this thread, he is not being permanently charged.

Essentially he looked at his online statement and saw the $1 HOLD (it is not a charge, it is never a charge, it is not something you ever pay). That hold disappears after a day or two usually (how quickly it disappears is up to your bank). Several MMOs and even other companies not related to gaming use this method of credit card verification.

Also that $1 hold might not even show up has being removed from the balance (depending on the bank), which can also lead to people thinking they are being ripped off.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,211

Originally posted by Falcomith

Let's be honest, the authenticator is a scam. Blizzard is having a hay day by screwing their customers out of $7 more because their battle.net system is worthless.

I like to know why you think this product they are selling is a scam? Other games are using authenticator devices, FFXIV to name one.

To bring it up a notch, most banks offer it for logging into your commercial accounts online.  Cell phone companies use the device to access and turn off the alarm system at cell phone tower buildings.

So the product does work and is very hard to nearly impossible to crack since that particular Authenticator serial number (not the display number) is tied to your account and that the display number changes every time you press the button.

$6.50 is not much considering how much time and effort you can put into a game and just have it taken away because you believe it doesnt work or you rather use that money for a combo meal at McDonalds. 

I wish all MMOs had the option to use a device like that. I know what its like to have an account stolen. Happened to me on a SOE account.

Also, $6.50 isn't that much when you consider how much it costs to produce and ship it. They don't charge shipping for it. It's not like they are trying to make some huge profit on it or something.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

you guys do realize that there is free versions of the authenticator right? not a blizz fanboy here by far but they have freebie options is you don't want  to buy anything extra.

This discussion has been closed.