Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard officially corrupt? You make the call.

RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,432

After having both my accounts hacked last year and restored, I was a little surprised to learn at how many people were getting their accounts hacked after Blizzard forced everyone into the battle.net account system. It just seemed rather odd to see more WoW accounts being hacked after this said event then before.

<Enter Authenticator>

Let's be honest, the authenticator is a scam. Blizzard is having a hay day by screwing their customers out of $7 more because their battle.net system is worthless.

<Enter New and Improved Scam>

Last month something very peculiar occurred but I didn't think anything of it until it happened again this month. I pay for 3 accounts, 2 of mine and my wifes. Last month and this month, despite Blizzard stating all charges are recurring until you cancel, all 3 accounts were cancelled. Not one, not two, but all three. Was it because of lack of finances? Nope, checked the bank last month when it happened and simply started a new subscription the same day they got cancelled.

So, the interesting thing I noticed this month when resubscribing was that Blizzard now charges $1 extra to verify your financial account. I was like hmm, so Blizzard keeps cancelling my recurring subscription so I can pay them $1 for each account I reactivate, nice.

Sure, it's only $1 to us the customer, but how many people are having their subscriptions just randomly cancelled for no reason? You make the call.

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,570

I think I have to agree that something is very wrong at Blizz. Let me explain:

I stopped playing WoW 3-4 months ago, cancelled my subs and un-installed the game. My PC has AV software and Anti Spyware running. I never respond to the stupid phish mails telling me I got into cata beta or won a celestial mount.

So, no key loggers, no visits to dodgy web sites and no logging into WoW for months. The weekend just gone my mate phones me up to ask if I'm logged in to WoW, which I'm not, and says he can see one of my chars in black temple. Kinda wierd...

I check my email account used on battle net, which is a yahoo account. Can't log in... same with WoW acct management. So anyway, I regain control of the yahoo acct, reset the wow acct password and check the subscription page. It's on a 7 day exemption (I later spoke to blizz sppt and this was a free week promo sent out at the start of this year).

The worrying part of all this is ... how did they get my login details? When speaking to blizz support we went thru all the usual, what av you run etc. Ran the scans, found no suspect software. The guy at Blizz decided he'd pass this on up the food chain because he was worried how the acct was hacked. Now I know people will say things like " ah but you did x,y,z and blah, blah" but it's not like I'm a clueless technophobe. I have nearly 20 years as an IT professional under my belt and I know a thing or three about securing my PC. So far I have found nothing to indicate I was hacked at this end.

Isn't the internet fun?

edited: spelling

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

So you are saying they are intentially hacking people's accounts so they can push sales for the authenticator. Haha you know anything is possible but I think that is stretching it a bit much.  I must say though that Blizzard is always in some sort of  controversy and sometimes you just have wonder what is really true or not.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,091

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I check my email account used on battle net, which is a yahoo account. Can't log in... same with WoW acct management.  

I have nearly 20 years as an IT prfessional under my belt and I know a thing or three about securing my PC. So far I have found nothing to indicate I was hacked at this end.

Don't want to flame or anything like that, but why on earth do you as a 20-year experienced IT pro use a mail client like Yahoo? You might as well have taken a Hotmail account for your Blizzard.net eMail... I mean to tell you, these "free" online mail servers are not the safest way to store stuff into which is somewhat important... Better get yourself a domain for $20/year and pop your mail from there...

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,570

To be perfectly honest, it's to save myself the hassle from the inevitable spam from all the game companies and whoever they sell thier mailing lists to. I never use my real e-mail address for anything unless I know someone personally.

I still found the whole incident amusing though.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

What it sounds like is Blizzard is merely charging your account $1 to verify your account. This will usually remain on your account for a few days, then will be refunded. This is common practice and most places I know of do it when you set up accounts. How else would they verify that your account information was accurate, particularly in a case where you will be charged on a monthly basis.

No great conspiracy, just simple business. You'll have your dollar back.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by LordDraekon

What it sounds like is Blizzard is merely charging your account $1 to verify your account. This will usually remain on your account for a few days, then will be refunded. This is common practice and most places I know of do it when you set up accounts. How else would they verify that your account information was accurate, particularly in a case where you will be charged on a monthly basis.

No great conspiracy, just simple business. You'll have your dollar back.

^ This.

A lot of companies do this. The money (that $1) is usually held for 24-48 hours and then released back to your account. All this does is allow the billing company to determine if the bank account is active and legit. 

Best thing to do is keep more than what is needed in the account. If you know it will be $15 for the subscription, make sure there is $16, thats all. You will get the money back in 2 days tops.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Let's be honest, the authenticator is a scam. Blizzard is having a hay day by screwing their customers out of $7 more because their battle.net system is worthless.

This part I agree with wholeheartedly, security of a game should be included in the retail game, not as a cash shop add on.

I get the feeling even though I have never been hacked, that battle.net is less than secure.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

A one time $7 fee for a authenticator is not a bad price and probably is pretty much at cost for them.  They probably are buying them in large numbers  but I know the ones I use to buy for a company I worked for where about $30 each for qualities around a 100 and that’s before the custom printing that goes on them and the backend infrastructure required to support them.  I wish more games offered hardware authenticator options or they pooled (unlikely) their resources and a industry standard authenticator was developed that games could integrate easily. 

A one time password of some form is the only way to guarantee that your account can’t be hacked since you have to hold the physical device in your hand in order to have the information needed to authenticate.  To say there is no way my account password could be hacked off my computer is just being naive.  The best you can do it make it really difficult for the attackers.  I’m not saying Blizzard and NCSoft might not have some internal issues with usernames and passwords being stolen but if they do it would be a huge issue and if someone had access to that level of information they would probably have access to everyone’s credit card information to.

• MoorqueenMoorqueen Member UncommonPosts: 40

Are you sure it was an additional charge? I mean , like when I pay  $25 for gas at the pump they charge me $1 initially and then that charge disappears and it's just a charge for $25.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

So, the interesting thing I noticed this month when resubscribing was that Blizzard now charges $1 extra to verify your financial account. I was like hmm, so Blizzard keeps cancelling my recurring subscription so I can pay them $1 for each account I reactivate, nice.

Sure, it's only $1 to us the customer, but how many people are having their subscriptions just randomly cancelled for no reason? You make the call.

It is called a hold, it is never actually a charged value. It is basically a simple check to make sure the credit card is valid. As others have said, many places do this, many MMOs do this, the fact that so many people are just noticing this lately shows how many people do not keep accurate track of their finances.

Turbine does it as well and all these people jumped on the scam bandwagon there too, without having knowledge of what is actually happening.

Now with all that said: Blizzard's security is just plain awful.  The amount of people who lose thier accounts and occasionally their e-mails (don't use the same password for other accounts as you do with your e-mail) when the person isn't even playing WoW or visiting any WoW sites anymore is just ridiculous. Battle.net was the worst thing blizzard could have done because account theft sky rocketed after they forced everyone to use that.

You would think with the couple hundred million they bring in each month that they could pay some people to code up better security. It is clear that they'd rather just charge even more for an authenticator.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

There are many ways to get your account hacked. You always have a weakest link in your IT setup.

• Keyloggers

• Caught in a phishing scam

• Battle.net account brute forced

• Email account hacked

There may be few more ways, but even if you keep your computer as clean as possible, you still can be hacked if you don't keep up by securing your email. Just google " email hacked", you'll find many, many victims.

Still, if someone gets into your email account, a simple search for "password" or "account" in your mailbox may reveal a golden source of information for any kind of identity theft.

Accounts were being hacked long before the battle.net move. Blizzard is also an easy target for being such a Behemoth, similar to why most viruses target Microsoft's operating systems. You're just making it easier for hackers if you don't buy an authenticator (either physical or the iphone app).

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

After having both my accounts hacked last year and restored, I was a little surprised to learn at how many people were getting their accounts hacked after Blizzard forced everyone into the battle.net account system. It just seemed rather odd to see more WoW accounts being hacked after this said event then before.

Blizzard makes the authenticator available as cheap as possible.  Did you know there are many FREE versions of the authenticator?  Did you know that Square Enix and Sony are also implementing their own versions of this?

The authenticator preceeded the battlenet merger by a year and a half which means that hacked accounts were already a huge problem.  Other companies are having similar problems.  Wow just happens to be the biggest target so they get the most attention from hackers. 

LTDR, hacked accounts were a huge problem prior to authenticators and battlenet merger.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

It is called a hold, it is never actually a charged value. It is basically a simple check to make sure the credit card is valid. As others have said, many places do this, many MMOs do this, the fact that so many people are just noticing this lately shows how many people do not keep accurate track of their finances.

Turbine does it as well and all these people jumped on the scam bandwagon there too, without having knowledge of what is actually happening.

Pre-auth charges, if done properly, aren't supposed to show up on CC statements when the period has ended. The alternative is that they charge the account, then either credit the amount and charge less for the full purchase, or they do a chargeback for that same amount. If there is a $1 charge showing up on your CC statement when the period has closed, with no credit to the full purchase or chargeback listed (or that happened in the next billing period), it means they are actually charging you for that amount.

In most cases the billing is just sloppily done, but everything is legitimate. Though, there are many cases where the company is either intention or unintentionally keeping the "temporarily" charged amount, so it's always smart to keep an out out on those things.

As per battle.net... It's a terribly designed system with massive sevurity flaws.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Last month something very peculiar occurred but I didn't think anything of it until it happened again this month. I pay for 3 accounts, 2 of mine and my wifes. Last month and this month, despite Blizzard stating all charges are recurring until you cancel, all 3 accounts were cancelled. Not one, not two, but all three. Was it because of lack of finances? Nope, checked the bank last month when it happened and simply started a new subscription the same day they got cancelled.

Look at the RealID fiasco that has, really, been swept under the rug like it was no big deal. I had my concerns before, real concerns that I won't get into, but that sealed the deal for me. Integrating Battle.Net with Facebook is problem enough (consider that all of what you put on Facebook becomes Facebook's property) but the RealID thing...that was too much. Blizzard has been corrupt for several years now and those who choose not to see it or say 'meh' are either stupid or don't seem to mind the consequences of doing business with this kind of company.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Can mods start to lock threads and ban people for making the same threads over and over.

Originally posted by Ceridith

Pre-auth charges, if done properly, aren't supposed to show up on CC statements when the period has ended. The alternative is that they charge the account, then either credit the amount and charge less for the full purchase, or they do a chargeback for that same amount. If there is a $1 charge showing up on your CC statement when the period has closed, with no credit to the full purchase or chargeback listed (or that happened in the next billing period), it means they are actually charging you for that amount.

In most cases the billing is just sloppily done, but everything is legitimate. Though, there are many cases where the company is either intention or unintentionally keeping the "temporarily" charged amount, so it's always smart to keep an out out on those things.

As per battle.net... It's a terribly designed system with massive sevurity flaws.

They are not charges, they are holds, there is a large difference between the two terms. I also don't believe most people are noticing these on their end of month statements, they are noticing them when they check their account online and it will appear there while the hold is active and the bank will generally remove the entry once the hold has cleared.

Originally posted by expresso

Can mods start to lock threads and ban people for making the same threads over and over.

Ban people for making legitimate posts because you like the company and others may not? Really? Seriously??

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by expresso

Ban people for making legitimate posts because you like the company and others may not? Really? Seriously??

TBH it doesn't seem to be his first thread on the subject.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Emhster

There are many ways to get your account hacked. You always have a weakest link in your IT setup.

• Keyloggers

• Caught in a phishing scam

• Battle.net account brute forced

• Email account hacked

There may be few more ways, but even if you keep your computer as clean as possible, you still can be hacked if you don't keep up by securing your email. Just google " email hacked", you'll find many, many victims.

Still, if someone gets into your email account, a simple search for "password" or "account" in your mailbox may reveal a golden source of information for any kind of identity theft.

Accounts were being hacked long before the battle.net move. Blizzard is also an easy target for being such a Behemoth, similar to why most viruses target Microsoft's operating systems. You're just making it easier for hackers if you don't buy an authenticator (either physical or the iphone app).

Another way I have heard about is people using the same username/password combo to a support site as they do for the game.  Ideally you should have a unique username/password for each game/site you participate in.  That’s a lot easier said than done when so many sites have your display name and username the same or use your email address as a login name.

• Here is my issue, I have two computers one I only use for the internet and the other I ONLY use for gaming, I have NEVER even opened up the internet on my gaming rig and I have an email that I ONLY use for game accounts.

Somehow my WoW account was hacked after being inactive for months, I report it hacked and regain control of the account only to log in and find my character in black temple.  Two weeks later my account was perma banned, so I call blizzard and they tell me there is thing they can do and the account is perma locked.

There is something very odd going on here.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Belshazzaar

Here is my issue, I have two computers one I only use for the internet and the other I ONLY use for gaming, I have NEVER even opened up the internet on my gaming rig and I have an email that I ONLY use for game accounts.

Somehow my WoW account was hacked after being inactive for months, I report it hacked and regain control of the account only to log in and find my character in black temple.  Two weeks later my account was perma banned, so I call blizzard and they tell me there is thing they can do and the account is perma locked.

There is something very odd going on here.

I agree . . . break out the timefoil!

I kid I kid.

I had my account hijacked and banned a long time ago only to argue with CS to get it unlocked with a free month of playtime (which I didn't use anyway).  I would like to think that a company the size of Blizzard would not risk everything they have created by stealing people's accounts.  Then again crazier things have happened.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,212

Not another one of these...

User error or hacked email account. He likely bought gold at some point and would never admit it. Even if he didn't, user error or hacked email account. The end.

• OzivoisOzivois Member Posts: 598

Maybe this is unrelated, but I got a 14-day trial for SC2 at newegg.com.  It was $35.00 with e $35.00 off special so basically free.

After downloading it and playing it I found out that the trial was only good for 7 hours of gameplay or 14 days, whichever comes first.

So in reality it was a 1-day trial.  $35.00 value???  wtf

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by The_Grump

Look at the RealID fiasco that has, really, been swept under the rug like it was no big deal. I had my concerns before, real concerns that I won't get into, but that sealed the deal for me. Integrating Battle.Net with Facebook is problem enough (consider that all of what you put on Facebook becomes Facebook's property) but the RealID thing...that was too much. Blizzard has been corrupt for several years now and those who choose not to see it or say 'meh' are either stupid or don't seem to mind the consequences of doing business with this kind of company.

And what, may I ask, are the consequences of dealing with a "corrupt" company?

And how do you define corrupt? In government, you define corrupt by someone taking more than thier fair share or using power outside of its intended purpose. In private industry, you know they are trying to maximize profit. So how then can you call them corrupt?

So far, I had my account stolen once. I refuse to say my account was hacked because in, my guess, 99.9% of the cases the account is stolen via scam or user error. Since then, I havent had any issues. Billing, nope. Account access, nope. Email, nope. In game, nope.

I use RealID. I am not worried about my personal information because I take precautions in who I give it to and in what manner. All you really can do is keep yourself aware of how much you give out and where it goes and from there keep an eye on your banking and credit information.

• ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265

I dont get it.. Who am I supposed to call?

This discussion has been closed.