Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about playing

BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Hey, saw some screens of this game, kind of thinking about getting into it. I'll admit right now that I have not done much reasearch on this game at all, I always like to check with people before even doing that.

Looking for a bit of player perspective on it. Just want a summary of a few things:

How would it be getting into it now as a noob?

Is it fun?

Crafting, what's it like, is it useful?

What are the classes?

Partying necessary?

Is it a full pvp game?

Is combat fun? What can you compare it to?

Thanks!

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

You may want to checkout the one recent review from a major gaming site:

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/02/anti-aliased-i-can-finally-stop-playing-mortal-online-now/

There is a promised patch coming in the next week or so that has been hyped by the CEO as the equivalent of Mortal Online 2... so I would suggest that you at least wait to see if they deliver on that promise.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• A_TrainA_Train Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Blazeyer

Hey, saw some screens of this game, kind of thinking about getting into it. I'll admit right now that I have not done much reasearch on this game at all, I always like to check with people before even doing that.

Looking for a bit of player perspective on it. Just want a summary of a few things:

It doesn't take long at all, about 2 weeks to get a decent character.

Is it fun?

IMO no, due to all the bugs

I haven't crafted but it is a huge part of the game, almost everything useful needs to be crafted.

What are the classes?

It's a skill based game, you make your own class.

Partying necessary?

Not necessary.

Is it a full pvp game?

Yes.

I think it is kinda fun.

Thanks!

I would wait for the epic patch before trying this game, actually I would wait for a free trial aswell.  The game has serious issues.  Crashes, bugged stupid "blind" mobs, memory leaks plague this game.  I found it unplayable and unfinished.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Is it fun? - Depends who you ask. On these forums you will get more haters than fans. I enjoy the game personally though I have a good amount of tolerance for it's current shaky state. It's supposed to get a lot better with a coming patch.

Crafting, what's it like, is it useful? - Yes

What are the classes?- No classes persay. You can be a armorer, weaponsmith, bowyer, warrior, mage, tamer, thief eetc. or comination thereof.

Partying necessary?- Not at the moment.

Is it a full pvp game?- Yes

Is combat fun? What can you compare it to?- You can compare it to Darkfall somewhat or Mount and Blade, though it could use some work.

Thanks!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Being new to the game isn't a major problem.  Of course, you'll be behind for a while as you start out, but there is very little "grind" to this game.  If you play regularly (and by regularly, I mean a few hours a few times per week), you'll likely have a fully trained character in several weeks, not months or years.  It is definitely possible to catch up, given the stat and skill caps. 

Is it fun?

Obviously a very subjective thing.  Like every game in human history, some people enjoy it, others don't.  Personally, I really like the game.  I like the skill-based character progression, the combat, the environments, the crafting, and the overall freedom you have in this game, and these types of games in general.  It's more of a "virtual world", with a more realistic bent than most other MMOs, which I really enjoy.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that MO is still rough around the edges.  It lacks polish, has bugs, and is at a core level regarding content.  All of these things have been improving steadily since launch, but they still have a way to go.  The new build of the game that should be implemented in the next week or two should help make MO a measureably better game. 

Crafting is more freeform system than you'll find in most other games in that it doesn't have recipes.  Your ability to craft things is based on your crafting skills, and your lore skill (knowledge about the numerous materials in the game).  Different materials have different in-game characteristics (which are loosely based on reality), and essentially you mix and match the different materials in the crafting interface to create objects.  The characteristics of the item will reflect your skills, the type of materials used, and the amount of material used.

Given that all weapons and armors are player crafted (other than the starter sword), crafting is extremely useful in the game.  As they add more crafting professions, it'll become even more so.

What are the classes?

No classes, you pick your starting race and background profession, and develop your character with the skills you select, with 1000 primary skill points as the cap.  There's no cap on secondary skills.  Skills can be raised and lowered in-game, so you can continuously tweak your character over time, or change your character's focus completely if you want to. 

Partying necessary?

It's not necessary for most things, but as with most MMOs, this game is probably more fun if you're in a good guild. 

Is it a full pvp game?

Other than the safety of the NPC towns which have guards, it's is a free-for-all, full PvP, full loot game.  If a character murders 5 or more characters, he'll be flagged as a "red", or murderer for a set period of time. 

I think the combat in the game is outstanding.  It's an FPS style of combat - no auto-attack, no real "lock-ons", and is regulated by stamina and mana use.  You hit what you aim at, whether that's with a sword, an arrow, or magic.  There is active blocking in the game as well.  As far as comparisons, it's similar (but not identical) to the melee combat in AoC, the combat in Darkfall, or the combat in Mount and Blade.

Thanks!

Answers above in red.

Mortal Online Official Forums: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/

Mortal Wiki: http://www.mortalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

As stated above, the new build should be out in a week or two, which will probably improve the core of the game significantly.  After that, more and better content will likely continue to roll out, as the game continues to improve.  The game is not perfect, but in my opinion, it is certainly playable and enjoyable.

I hope this helps.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by Rohn

Crafting is more freeform system than you'll find in most other games in that it doesn't have recipes.  Your ability to craft things is based on your crafting skills, and your lore skill (knowledge about the numerous materials in the game).  Different materials have different in-game characteristics (which are loosely based on reality), and essentially you mix and match the different materials in the crafting interface to create objects.  The characteristics of the item will reflect your skills, the type of materials used, and the amount of material used.

Given that all weapons and armors are player crafted (other than the starter sword), crafting is extremely useful in the game.  As they add more crafting professions, it'll become even more so.

Very true; crafting on paper is awesome. Speaking as a GL, mostly in practice its farming mats and trying out combinations to figure out which material got "broken" in the latest patch as it invariably does, and which weaponhead got "broken" in the process (FL Maces, Mercy Daggers, Thruster Swords, etc). Rule of thumb up to three patches ago was, ignore all the "old" weapon heads and test out the "new" weapon heads first because they used to be ~30% better then the old ones.

Besides, all item stats were ripped from the game-files during Beta by data-miners, so every self-respecting guild has a "top secret" list of these mat stats. I still have it somewhere and can link if anyone's interested. Didn't really stop at item stats, every house-spot, keep-spot and spawn-spot was ripped and spread around the web ages ago.

I still remember how Thaeric jumped when I took him aside and filled him in on the little secret that his guild's built their houses on a keep spot. :))))

Originally posted by cirsyndic

Very true; crafting on paper is awesome. Speaking as a GL, mostly in practice its farming mats and trying out combinations to figure out which material got "broken" in the latest patch as it invariably does, and which weaponhead got "broken" in the process (FL Maces, Mercy Daggers, Thruster Swords, etc). Rule of thumb up to three patches ago was, ignore all the "old" weapon heads and test out the "new" weapon heads first because they used to be ~30% better then the old ones.

Besides, all item stats were ripped from the game-files during Beta by data-miners, so every self-respecting guild has a "top secret" list of these mat stats. I still have it somewhere and can link if anyone's interested. Didn't really stop at item stats, every house-spot, keep-spot and spawn-spot was ripped and spread around the web ages ago.

I still remember how Thaeric jumped when I took him aside and filled him in on the little secret that his guild's built their houses on a keep spot. :))))

You might want to listen to this guy.. he was a former High Councelor and was granted GM powers by the developers in Mortal Online before he quit...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

This all sounds pretty awesome actually.

Is there at all anywhere to be able to try this game or get a buddy key?

I'd really like to try this out of course before paying a sub fee.

This all sounds pretty awesome actually.

Is there at all anywhere to be able to try this game or get a buddy key?

I'd really like to try this out of course before paying a sub fee.

Currently, there's no free trial or buddy keys available.

SV has stated in the past that they will likely have a free trial at some point in the future, but the last I heard, they were going with the "industry standard", and would probably not be starting them until at least 6 months or more after launch - that would put it at about another 2 and a half months or so away, at the earliest.

Of course, that was tentative, so they could always change their minds.  I'm sure when they do announce one, though, it'll be posted on this forum immediately.

Sorry about that.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

-The game is really, really user unfriendly. There is no "noob protection", tutorial or the like, ingame help isn't to much help. Your best move would be asking for help on IRC/forums

Is it fun?

-Depends. Imho it is to bugged and full of exploits to enjoy, together with lack of content. However if you are desperate for a sandbox, it may be interesting. But as I said, there is almost no content ingame. Pointless ganking for PvP and almost no PvE except for monster grind for crafting mats.

-Pretty advanced and really useful. However it is complex beyond necessary

What are the classes?

-Note that you are way off here. This is a "sandbox" (even thou it lacks sand atm), so there are no classes. You build your character based on skills you chose to take. You can be a crafter, a fighter or for example a mount tamer. But not all at once.

Partying necessary?

-I would say yes, you are useless as solo in this game, unless you play as crafter. All current PvP is heavily guild based and almost everyone is going around in groups. Forget it if you are to solo PvP.

Is it a full pvp game?

-Yes. And full loot too, meaning you lose all your gear when you die.

-Closest I can think of is Dark Messiah of Might and magic. Dont missunderstand me however, the combat is far as polished and smooth as in Dark messiah. Imho combat is a mess.

Also to add, below is the list of _all_ current content. Give or take a feature or two.

-Full loot and full PvP

-Can build houses

-Can claim and build keeps

-Siege weapons

-Taming of pets and mounts

-Fishing (which have no purpose atm)

-Advanced crafting system

-Skill based character progression

-Thievery

-Mounted combat

-Territory control (only by big guilds basically)

That's basically all you can do ingame atm... And no, there are NO friend list, whispers, actionhouse or the like.. game is really, really user unfriendly as said.

• MisterblagueMisterblague Member Posts: 6

Also, be aware that PvE is broken, and nearly inexistent. There isn't a lot of variety in mobs atm, only 1 "boss" mob, I think there is only like 2 dungeons, 1 of which doesn't work, and a world that feels empty and totally un-interactive.

That, for my part is my main concern atm.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by Misterblague

Also, be aware that PvE is broken, and nearly inexistent. There isn't a lot of variety in mobs atm, only 1 "boss" mob, I think there is only like 2 dungeons, 1 of which doesn't work, and a world that feels empty and totally un-interactive.

Why do you fail to mention that the Epic Games patch coming in a week or so is supposed to fix PvE? I know you are aware of that fact.

Originally posted by ltank

Why do you fail to mention that the Epic Games patch coming in a week or so is supposed to fix PvE? I know you are aware of that fact.

Yes Mortal Online 2.0 patch is on the way in a week or so.   Like I said in another thread.  There is no need to argue over what the patch will fix.  It's just a few days away and then we will know if it really does transform the game into Mortal Online 2.0 or not... time will tell!

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

This game has the steepest learning curve of any MMO I've played

Is it fun?

Hell Ya, it is.

Best crafting system in any MMO ever.  Millions of crafting combinations, Since the games economy is entirely playerbase crafting is essential.

What are the classes?

There are no classes per say, just different skills to choose that require different amounts of skill points and your limited to 1000 skill points.

Partying necessary?

No, but it helps.

Is it a full pvp game?

Yes, it's a full loot full pvp game

Combat in Mortal Online is the best combat system I've ever seen in an MMO it's like a cross between Darkfall and mount and blade combat.

Thanks!

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Because time will tell. We been hearing the "next patch will fix it" about 4 times now, and all fixes failed. So no point hyping up, even if they fix the AI with EPIC patch, they STILL need to add PvE content, it wont add it self only by epics engine fix.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    OP - do yourself a huge favor and just leave it at the screenshots. This game (and it's slightly better looking cousin DF) is a completely broken, online oblivion wannabe, nightmare of an mmorpgfps. The graphics are sub par, combat stuttered and glitchy and the landscape is barren as the Sahara Desert.... but hey if you like sandboxes.....
  • MisterblagueMisterblague Member Posts: 6

Because it is the ACTUAL situation the OP is asking about, and everything regarding that patch is speculation until we see it live.

So until patch is live and it proves to deliver its promises, this is how it is.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

BE WARNED!

this game is far from finished. right now you are basicly paying for an open beta. there are many buggs/exploits and things that are not working as intended.

Wile i am currently playing and do find this game very fun mostly because is so different from all the WoW clones out there, you have to go into it with very low expectations in order to have any fun.

this game is also extremely nube unfriendly so i highly suggest getting into a guild asap.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Another thing to consider though is that the game is released and LIVE (regardless of subjective opinions on game status), so there will be no wipes etc. Whoever got in early (individual or guild) reaped the benefits and the inherent advantage in it is insane.

At release everyone with a grain of salt farmed like crazy with the inventory bug (infinite carry weight), 10s books, instant respawns, bugged vendor prices (stupidly easily farmable mats selling for 33c per unit), etc. Getting into the game now is fighting an up-hill battle. If you're interested, best advice I can think of is forget what you aspire to be (I wanted to dual-wield axes myself) and join an established guild. Use the FOTM weapons just like everyone else, or get ready to respawn a LOT.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by cirsyndic

Another thing to consider though is that the game is released and LIVE (regardless of subjective opinions on game status), so there will be no wipes etc. Whoever got in early (individual or guild) reaped the benefits and the inherent advantage in it is insane.

At release everyone with a grain of salt farmed like crazy with the inventory bug (infinite carry weight), 10s books, instant respawns, bugged vendor prices (stupidly easily farmable mats selling for 33c per unit), etc. Getting into the game now is fighting an up-hill battle. If you're interested, best advice I can think of is forget what you aspire to be (I wanted to dual-wield axes myself) and join an established guild. Use the FOTM weapons just like everyone else, or get ready to respawn a LOT.

wile it is true that those things happened (and everyone is still hoping SV will eventually catch up with the cheeters) it realy doesn't mean you are left with nothing to achieve. you can still play the game, make a guild, farm your gold, build your keep and go destroy other people's keeps. sure there are people that have a ton of duped gold and mats but most of them have either been banned or are not playing anymore.

eventually those "infinite carry" inventories will be fixed and those people will loose all their stored stuff. and they wont even be able to complain about  it or risk getting baned for exploiting :)

levelling a character is easy in this game, and even making gold is pretty easy so if you like the feel of the game and the combat there is nothing stopping you from doing everything everyone else is doing.

weappons are being balanced with every patch and wile "machine gun" short bows are still stupidly OP there are many more usefull weappons being used these days.

I think this was a pretty good write-up by RS3080, about his experiences as a fairly new player to the game.  Overall, I believe it captures the feel that Mortal Online (and a lot of sandbox games in general) is trying to evoke.

Old 29th September 2010, 02:04

rs3080 vbmenu_register("postmenu_1027180", true);

default The next few days...

This is a follow-up of my post on my first day experiences in MO. I am happy to say that the next few days have been very good, better than the first.

After playing around with a few character builds which were more or less crash test dummies, I rolled a thirty year-old Tindremene male with Kallard blood and picked up the Recruit background to get the starting combat skills I wanted. Before anyone replies to this to tell me that Tindremene/Kallard fighters are weak or whatever, I'm not really interested in rolling the "best" race with the highest stats. I wanted to be a Tindremene who has had the benefit of Kallard grandparents and become a fighter in my own way.

After starting out in my new character, I wanted to see just how much stronger he was compared to the previous builds which were comparatively weak. Instead of hunting rabbits and weasels, I headed further out of the city and found a springbok. I now have blocking and some other combat skills which I did not have before and decided to test them. The springbok was a stronger opponent, but with a few well-charged strikes and well-timed blocks with my short sword it was defeated. What was even more rewarding was the loot I found which I later sold for close to 7 silvers back in the city.

Going back out to hunt more dangerous wild animals, I regularly saw other players, some mounted and others on foot, going about their way in the wilderness. While the unmounted players paid no attention to my presence, a few of those who were astride on armoured warhorses came up uncomfortably close with their halberds or great axes drawn. Cornered and obviously unable to outrun them, all I could do was stand my ground and hope for the best. A few times, I was struck once or twice by their instruments of war but was never dealt the killing blow. To what ends those players had for their unprovoked attacks on me and the subsequent sparing of my life, I may never know.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I went on my way. I went further and further out into the wilderness and soon the thought of where am I and how will I make it back to civilisation came to my mind. I was clearly lost, the city where I had begun in was nowhere to be seen. I stopped and considered the places where I had visited and tried my best to find my way back to the safer confines of my starting city, using nothing more than the natural features of my surroundings and own intuition to find my bearing. After some time, I noticed in the distance what looked like a building, and then finally realising that it was one of the player houses I had passed earlier. Soon, I was able to find the path which leads back to my starting city and was quite glad when I got there. Getting lost was actually fun in this game, something you couldn't experience in other mmorpgs (not even in Darkfall Online) so I must say that this is one of the unique attractions that appealed to me.

Back in town, I had just finished selling some loot and banked my coins when I noticed a few messages in my chat window saying that a player had snooped in my empty pockets. It all happened in a matter of seconds, and when I turned around the would-be thief had run off to try and pick someone else's pockets. I wanted to chase him down and push him so I could flag him grey, but since I had nothing on me to steal anyway I thought I'd let him off. The thief and I were both lucky this time.

I decided to take a break from hunting and maybe try chopping trees for a bit, so I got my pickaxe and went to the nearest tree outside the city walls and began harvesting logs. Since I couldn't see what was behind or to the side of me, I was a little edgy whenever I heard footsteps or horse hooves getting louder and couldn't see who it was. On one occasion, I was chopping away and someone casually approached and asked if he could test his new bow on me. I wanted to laugh out loud, but politely declined. With that, the player bid me farewell and went on his way. Got my strength and constitution up quite a bit from all that wood chopping, which I'm sure will allow me to hit harder and survive longer in the future if I ever run into someone or something that wanted me dead.

One of the things I liked about this game is the sense of uncertainty and the need to be on your guard at all times, I felt like I was playing a game that had real risks but also rewards that went with it. I have bigger long term plans for my character, and will take my time and build him up to what I want him to be (lone mercenary, maybe?). Overall, very good experiences I've had in this game.

Last edited by rs3080 : 29th September 2010 at 02:20.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/53794-next-few-days.html#post1027180