Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we Disappointed?

2»

Comments

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Originally posted by Scot

Well if you are posting on this site, your current MMO is not meeting your needs, so you are likely to be disappointed if you haunt this site. You invest a lot more time in a MMO than a solo game and you make friends with other players which makes you biased towards 'your' MMO.

MMO's are a software format not a game play style. Like solo or lobby games they are simply a way of playing a game. MMO's have very few game styles compared to the other game formats. Greater cost is a factor here but also when people hear about a MMO people expect to be hearing about an online RPG, nothing else. So anything like APB has an enormous perception issue to overcome.

The odd MMO like Tales of the Desert and Eve break the mould but they are a tiny proportion of what is essentially an RPG market. But that’s not all, they are not just RPG's they all mimic one RPG, WoW. Even the pre WoW MMO's have taken on a lot of WoW elements.

So it is hardly surprising we are disappointed. We have been playing the same gameplay style since WOW was launched, who is not going to get bored of that eventually? 

This guy says it best: if you were happy with your MMO you wouldn't be here right now.  So us active members here represent those not happy with what is currently out there and we inherently are harder to please, constantly searching for something that we will enjoy.

One related story:  I recently asked folks in the PotBS forums to come here and rate the game.  After that, the score for PotBS dropped down a few points.  Again, it shows that those in the PotBS forums are mostly there to complain and the happy players are too busy playing the game than to read and post in the forums.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

I don’t think Gandhi is going to help us here Maplestone, I can’t become the new MMO we want to play.

“One related story:  I recently asked folks in the PotBS forums to come here and rate the game.  After that, the score for PotBS dropped down a few points.” – Which has a moral: never ask people who post on forums to give anything the thumbs up. :)

For me some must haves are: 3 player RvR, buddy system, player selling (not AH) and degradable weapons/armour. Guild HQ’s and forts, rp tools (like race languages), an AC style story that can change the landscape and politics of the game. Factions that count, being in with one set of npc’s means the others don’t want to know you. A diplomatic system like in Vanguard. Good solo/grouping balance. Not Orcs and Elves.

My must haves are old hat, they have been done before but not in one MMO.

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm disappointed that MMORPG's evolved more into casual gaming experiences rather than into deep engrossing virtual worlds, but I'm in the minority of course.

After playing so many MMO's i rather have games which (also) appeal to casual gamers while providing an engrossing virtual world.

The opposite is true for a big portion of the MMO market where satisfaction is measured with time put into a game (like grinding) while providing shallow game content. This type of formula is overused and it's no suprised ppl are getting fed up of being treated as a donky, chasing that elusive carrot down the never ending road.

Still, many will carry on "enjoying" whatever it's thrown at them since satisfaction is subjective... but others will be looking for their next "fix".

• tomatoostomatoos Member Posts: 16

In every game again.

FFXIV, didn't like how the game was broken, the UI, the game itself.

RIFT, played it on gamescon, it's nothing special and it's just like WoW, kinda yuck.

Maybe Guild Wars 2 will be nice, but I think I'm going to give up hope lmao.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by Scot

Well if you are posting on this site, your current MMO is not meeting your needs, so you are likely to be disappointed if you haunt this site. You invest a lot more time in a MMO than a solo game and you make friends with other players which makes you biased towards 'your' MMO.

MMO's are a software format not a game play style. Like solo or lobby games they are simply a way of playing a game. MMO's have very few game styles compared to the other game formats. Greater cost is a factor here but also when people hear about a MMO people expect to be hearing about an online RPG, nothing else. So anything like APB has an enormous perception issue to overcome.

The odd MMO like Tales of the Desert and Eve break the mould but they are a tiny proportion of what is essentially an RPG market. But that’s not all, they are not just RPG's they all mimic one RPG, WoW. Even the pre WoW MMO's have taken on a lot of WoW elements.

So it is hardly surprising we are disappointed. We have been playing the same gameplay style since WOW was launched, who is not going to get bored of that eventually? 

+1 Scot

• mikejm78mikejm78 Member Posts: 22

So often I see WOW come up. Would we say this very well could be the game to compare the rest of the MMO’s to? Put aside the love or hard feelings, is this the game? Or is it foolish to even think SWG pre-CU? Or do we feel that even these game disappoint us enough to wait to see if there is yet one to come out the fit this status?

• h3llryuh3llryu Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by SaintViktor

MMOs can stink up the place all they want because Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 is coming soon. Hopefully The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 will not be a disappointment.

I have high hopes for Diablo 3 and The Old Republic, but I don't have them too high. I know that they can, and probably will disappoint us.

We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

WoW became the template for all new MMO’s, it is not a matter of if you love or hate it, it is just what happened. I like WoW, but I don’t want the whole MMO software format being built on one gameplay style. It’s the repetition that is causing disappointment not the gameplay itself.

It is like FPS only had one template lets say the Battlefield series (prior to Bad Company), which I love. Imagine BF launched 6 years ago and got 6 million players who were P2P, would anyone even try to make a different format? There would be no Medal of Honour, Call of Duty, Crysis, Deadspace etc. Those games had a solo content that BF does not have, why bother to include that when your template has now 8? Million P2P players? Why do anything other than squad based, map games with no solo content? Why change the UI or combat when millions are used to playing that way?

That’s the dilemma we are in, the MMO industry has become a victim to WoW’s success and the over saturation of the market with too many MMO’s.

I heard good things about SWG but never played it, after the changes players still rated its free form space flight if not much else.

• sure_shocksure_shock Member Posts: 8

I am disappointed in how MMO’s are today but I beleave that a game can still be enjoyable. Anything man made will always be broken or a work in progress. Were we go wrong is expecting to much from the makers of these games.