Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA giving free game to disgruntled APB buyers

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Not a bad deal at all! You guys will be able to download a real game this time around!

Link: http://www.massively.com/2010/09/27/ea-giving-free-game-to-disgruntled-apb-buyers/

Comments

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I'm sad. I purchased mine from RTW's website and therefore do not qualify =(.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

They are still selling the game in retail stores where I live.

I saw some in Target the other day, I've also seen some at Walmart. 

It seems to me like they are trying to get as much money as they can, before they send out the word to recall it off the shelves. I mean, not everyone is going to bring the game back for a refund. 

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Hey you could own a part of MMO history if you have a never opened retail box. Could be worth something someday.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Novusod

Hey you could own a part of MMO history if you have a never opened retail box. Could be worth something someday.

The game wasn't out long enough for most to have even been opened tbh...that cellophane wrap is a b!tch to get off these days!!

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

i guess it makes good business sense in the long run since this will give them a good name. They may set up bad precedents after that though, cuz now some people will expect all companies to this with certain products.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by TheHatter

It seems to me like they are trying to get as much money as they can, before they send out the word to recall it off the shelves. I mean, not everyone is going to bring the game back for a refund. 

I'd always thought that the boxes in the shops have already been purchased by the company from the publisher/wholesaler/whatever and that no more profits are made by the publisher from then on. I assume the stores can get refunds on their stock seeing as many customers are now but they'd have to be damn blind not to know the game is shut down.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Kabaal

I'd always thought that the boxes in the shops have already been purchased by the company from the publisher/wholesaler/whatever and that no more profits are made by the publisher from then on. I assume the stores can get refunds on their stock seeing as many customers are now but they'd have to be damn blind not to know the game is shut down.

Exactly. The retailers would return the items to get their refunds, if they did buy the boxes outright. 

But, you would figure there would have been a massive recall notice and all of them pulled from the shelves, since they are essentially selling a product that doesn't exist. But, the more people who go out and buy them during this time frame, is more boxes sold that have a small chance of being returned. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a major lawsuit was followed by the downfall of this game. 

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I saw AC 2 box being sold last year, so yeah it could take a while for all the boxes to be removed.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Actually there is a very good reason for them to continue to sell this game despite its cancelation. Because stores like Target and Walmat (and others) do not give refunds, they give out gift cards with the appropriate alooted amount. This is not the same as cash. Target cards, etc, will be used in Target stores so they will continue to see profits (just based on other product margins).

• vyper21oovyper21oo Member Posts: 48

Actually  most retail  stores if not all  buy the product  out right. I've  seen  many  cancelled MMO's still for sale  and a few   games that  have  gone FTP   still being sold  in  many stores.  I don't think there is way to for the stores to get their $$ back at all. It's just like if they   bought 10,000 copies of a horrible game that  few people  picked up,  they can't return it  so they might a well sell as many as they can.

Noble and true, you are the hero other heroes aspire to be. You are a natural leader, selfless and kind, who will put the lives of others above your own, and are steadfast in your pursuit of justice.
    Take the quiz!