Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whoa whats going on with the hype?

124»

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by sungodra

Well if you notice.

GW2 has 1600 something votes.

Rift has 647 votes while TOR has 3400 something votes.

So what is going on here ? The more people that start to vote for rift the lower the hype rating will be. It is just evening itself out. BTW the hype rating on this site is a joke and not to be taken seriously, tbh.

Given recent circumstances, I think the hype meter is relatively coherent with the overall mood of the membership of this site.

Of course, that means it's still a joke.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by Astraeis

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

The 'hype' score here means very little.

However, from the trend I've seen going on, I'd say that people are voting down every game except GW2.

Although I'm not a conspiracy dude by any measure, people creating duplicate accounts could be an explanation.

SW:TOR has more votes however, so it is slightly more resistant to this effect.

I would like to point out that it takes only a small portion of people to cause these effects. It is not fair to point to the whole following of GW2.

It should also be pointed out that the hype-meter only has one purpose: to attract new subscribers to mmorpg.com. That is why they keep it. But that was clear to most of us already. Mmorpg.com is evil.

I certainly did not mean to target GW2's fanbase in any way, I'm quite excited for that game myself.

Though I think certain people are taking things a bit seriously and you are right, as this is an average, a relatively low amount of people can influence the score significantly.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

We would have to ask the mmorpg.com staff but it seems to me that the hype decays over time so every 30 days or so the older scores' weight fades and the newer hype votes weigh more heavily on the current score. 

I am saying this because I have been watching a few ratings recently and it appeared that at least a dozen games dropped about .2 in one day.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by Ozivois

We would have to ask the mmorpg.com staff but it seems to me that the hype decays over time so every 30 days or so the older scores' weight fades and the newer hype votes weigh more heavily on the current score. 

I am saying this because I have been watching a few ratings recently and it appeared that at least a dozen games dropped about .2 in one day.

I thought of that myself, alas I couldn't find any explanation on how this system works on the website. Though it might have been caused by a part of the playerbase being disgruntled after seeing how FFXIV has turned out.

(Please don't argue about FFXIV here, it could have been any AAA releases)