Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Auto Attack system in GW2 seems to make the combat kinda Dull/lame

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

If the developers were going to remove the auto attack that GW1 had, IMO, they should have did it like Allod Online did, but with better damage balance.

But instead, the community is given GW2's auto attack mechanics.

With the limited action bar of 10 skills, only spaming a single attack, gets lame after a while.

4:23

just look at this. I am now worried about PvE's challenge.

12:30 monster does look very good here. but the combat,,,,? whats your own thoughts?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

There is no auto attack in Guild wars 2 sorry

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by sk8chalif

my bad. I stand corrected

in all my mmo i played i never used more then 5-6 primary skill  the other was buff or useless thing that people never use after passing some lvl, i think 1-10 skill + the switch fire ice earth what the other i dont remember is enouf to me lol

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

well in the demo of gamecom when the dev speak he clrealy said there is no auto attack so i will take what he say

:O nvm lol my bad well actualy  there is no auto attack .. by that i mean if u click a mobs its wont attack unless u press a skill but . its ur choice if u want to right click ur skill and auto attack go for it im gonna press my own spell with my keyboard each time here

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Sorry you are mistaken. GW1 has an auto-attack feature that you when click on a target, you automatically attack it and it uses no mana. In GW2, it doesn't work that way. Instead they let you have the option to  set a certain skill so you don't have to button smash the same skill everytime you want to use it which uses up mana.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Considering you can, and should, be dodging during combat, looks quite immersive.

Considering you can move while casting, looks quite actiony.

Considering when you change weapons, or spell schools, you get a whole new set of skills, looks  quite varied.

I think you are concerned over nothing.

Originally posted by Dookz

Sorry you are mistaken. GW1 has an auto-attack feature that you when click on a target, you automatically attack it and it uses no mana. In GW2, it doesn't work that way. Instead they let you have the option to  set a certain skill so you don't have to button smash the same skill everytime you want to use it which uses up mana.

um,,, so why would somebody not use it? in the video, the player is using the auto attack feature. I wonder why

because he lazy?

because he lazy?

And it gives advantage?

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

obvious troll is obvious...

hey, shill, you've been proven wrong wo wuld you kindly change the inaccurate/inflammatory thread title so as not to misinform the uninformed.. or was that your intention from the start?

look if u want to play on auto attack and never use ur key 1-10 on ur keyboard its up to u.. i been playing alot of mmo and each of them i use to smash my key 1 to 10  so if u dont want to smah them put them on auto i. about the advantage.. i dunno the only diff iits ur not pressing any key

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

:O nvm lol my bad well actualy  there is no auto attack .. by that i mean if u click a mobs its wont attack unless u press a skill but . its ur choice if u want to right click ur skill and auto attack go for it im gonna press my own spell with my keyboard each time here

So it has a mouse-over interface in order to lock on a target,  then use mouse-over to target aoe's.  .I wonder what they have instore for us next   lol

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

um,,, so why would somebody not use it? in the video, the player is using the auto attack feature. I wonder why

You didn't read what I said. If you played Guild Wars 1, you would have known what auto-attack and how it worked. The picture presented will confuse people that are not familiar with GW, it should state instead auto-skill rather than auto attack.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    The game won't appeal to circle strafe (spinners) that played wow. Gw2 combat isn't as fluid or quick.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

there is probably the tab key for targeting mobs. then u press key 1 to use ur main skill to attack. that what i try to said

May I add that, auto attack in GW also goes by the term default attack. In GW2, you can no longer stand next to an enemy and strike your sword without using an attack skill and your wand no longer shoots magical orbs that damage an enemy without using a spell skill, which is how it was in GW1.

man i hate the quote thing well anyway that exaclty what i wanted to said lol

May I add that, auto attack in GW also goes by the term default attack. In GW2, you can no longer stand next to an enemy and strike your sword without using an attack skill and your wand no longer shoots magical orbs that damage an enemy without using a spell skill, which is how it was in GW1.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

As said by others it's auto skill, not auto attack.

The difference is that instead of 1 standard attack you can set all types of skills on auto attack.

Which is already an improvement upon MMO's that only have 1 form of auto-attack (WoW? LotrO? It has been a while).

In the videos you also see that they don't always use auto attack, in fact, it's only used most in the newbie levels where the number of skills you have is low.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Senadina

Considering you can, and should, be dodging during combat, looks quite immersive.

Considering when you change weapons, or spell schools, you get a whole new set of skills, looks  quite varied.

That is well said.

What's the deal with kiting, circel-strafing, if anyone has tried this, who played the demo? Can't wait to get that short bow to good use!

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Well, this guy just cleared up the mess. I wanted to ask something like that to clarify how the auto attack feature works. To understand how auto attack works in an MMO in most cases it's enough to ask how melee works. Taking the prime example, WoW, where your melee character does an additional attack every few seconds in addition to your abilities...well, I guess that's not how it works in GW2. If you press nothing, then you do nothing.

EDIT: But then again...I'm wondering...if you toggle the "basic" skill of a melee class in GW2 to "auto-skill", won't that be the same as auto attack?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Senadina

Seeing that it's a lockon system with a mouse over interface.......

yea you got nothing to be concerned about

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by paterah

Well, this guy just cleared up the mess. I wanted to ask something like that to clarify how the auto attack feature works. To understand how auto attack works in an MMO in most cases it's enough to ask how melee works. Taking the prime example, WoW, where your melee character does an additional attack every few seconds in addition to your abilities...well, I guess that's not how it works in GW2. If you press nothing, then you do nothing.

EDIT: But then again...I'm wondering...if you toggle the "basic" skill of a melee class in GW2 to "auto-skill", won't that be the same as auto attack?

It will be like that.

but the main thing that bothers me about this, is how easy the Event bosses can be taken down by the auto attack alone. a single skill.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Autoattack is in no way responsible for that 4:23 fight looking boring.

Open world gameplay is wholly responsible.  The boss was probably balanced for ~2 players (if that) and was being engaged by 6+ players.  No matter how amazing your combat system is, there isn't any challenge if the game lets players zerg enemies in an open world.

Obviously we can't make a call either way on whether PVE will be challenging or interesting enough at this point...at least not based on that particular video.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver