Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Roles

xenofixusxenofixus Member Posts: 4

So I saw this game when it was first announced and honestly wasn't all that interested.  After checking out some of the more recent media releases it has quickly shot its way up to the top of my 'ZOMG I WANT TO PLAY NOAW' list.  The only thing I am confused about is how the classes fit in to specific roles.  Now I generally don't like molding each class in to a standard role (tank, DPS, healer, etc...) but I think it is important to know what is to be expected of you when you pick and play a class.

My biggest issue with TERA so far (and one that is hopefully founded on my lack of knowledge about the game) is that the Lancer class seems like the only 'tank' and they also seem 'bulky'.  I kind of feel that a tank is not only someone who soaks up and takes damage but someone who tries to deflect it.  Now I am not talking about standard MMORPG type tanks (think WoW) but action RPG type tanks.  With the combat system looking how it is, active parrying/blocking/dodging seem like that would all be perfect for a tank.  Blah, I am just starting to talk about random crap.

Back on to what I actually made this thread for; can someone please make a short list that puts each of the TERA classes in to the standard MMORPG molds?  Any responses would be appreciated.

Comments

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

As far as I know it goes like this:

Basically, there are 2 tanks in the game, first being the obvious lancer who takes the damage head on wearing heavy armor and relying mostly on blocking and damage mitigation, while the warrior, the 2nd tanking class wears more light armor and relies on dodging and evading which I guess (probably gonna get flamed for that) requires more skill. There are 2 more melee classes, the berserker and the slayer, while the last can't tank at all, I think the berserker has a taunt on 30s cooldown with 4m radius and a defensive skill (75% blocking or something like that) on a similar cooldown. From what I read on the TERA forums and fansites, berserker can't tank either, definitely not as the tank of a party, but maybe for some elites mobs or quests which require 2 or 3 people. With that said, berserker and slayer are the 2 melee dps classes. Lancer is sporting a lance and a shield, the warrior is a dual wielder, and the other 2 are 2handers (berserker with 2hand axe and slayer with a 2hand sword). I'm not sure but I think as there are 4 melee classes, they are gonna be very "niche" based (not sure if that's the right word, I'm not a native english speaker), which is probably gonna dissapoint a lot of people. I don't even think the berserker can wield 2hand swords and the slayer 2hand axes lol. Forgot to say, slayer is wearing light armor.

Next, I'll quote a guy from the TERA forums who pretty much nails it on the difference of a berserker and a slayer:

I've seen a lot of people confusing Slayers with Berserkers, with comments such as "It's the same class why don't they just make it one."

Here is what are a few things that might help clarify.

Berserkers use Heavy armor, Slayers have been confirmed to use light armor. Although in the description says Heavy it has not been confirmed quite yet.

Berserkers can Block as a defense, Slayer Dodge as a defense.

Berserkers have precise hard hitting attacks, Slayers don't hit quite as hard as Berserkers, but sweeping strikes hit multiple enemies.

Berserkers Are among the Slower classes with Lancers (movement speed wise) while slayer are in the middle with warriors being the quickest.

Berserkers have slow, hard hitting attacks. Slayers have abilities like combo attacks. Momentum can carry slayers into some decent damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there are the 2 ranged dps, the Sorcerer and the Archer. The sorcerer is your generic caster DPS as you will find in most MMOs, while the archer being the archerimage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the 2 supportive classes: The Mystic and the Priest, I don't know much for them either. Among the few things I know is that Priest is generally the more "straight-forward" support class. Both of those classes can heal, however, the Mystic excels at buffing and debuffing, while the Priest excels at healing.

This link http://www.terafans.com/topic/2394-mystic-skill-list/ will take you to more info on the Mystic and the difference between the 2 classes.