Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny example of Bioware saying 'SWTOR is OUR story, not YOURS'

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Drachasor

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by phantom1979

Originally posted by arieste

And it's not Western culture that tells us people shouldn't be fat, it's modern medicine.  Being fat is extremely unhealthy and is a major medical issue - especially in the western world.  

This is quite misguided.

The difference between the Media's sense of Fat and the Medical terming of obesity are at such polar opposites its hardly fair to even compare them.

The Media (and Im including Bioware in this if they choose to omit the larger lady) would have us believe that anyone over a size 8 is a fatty and should jump on a diet that includes popping Alli pills and Adios more than regular healthy meals. Basically if you arent shitting water, you're doing it wrong.

Medicine doesnt care about your body shape, or whether you can fit into your size 8 jeans, it just emphasises a healthy lifestyle through balanced meals, exercise and restraint when it comes to unhealthy things such as booze. If you hit the obese level, they will STILL have the focus on these elements of a healthy lifestyle, and not the newest fad superfoods or crash diets. (Obviously there are exceptions to this with the morbidly obese that need medical intervention)

Cultural pressures are most definitely to blame for the constant striving for the skinny figure, and Bioware should be ashamed that they feel the need to propagate this.

Yes and no. There media certainly does push an image of 'what is acceptable' that is technically below what is medically advisable, but then half of it is airbrushed anyway. That being said what any person 'carries' in terms of a healthy amount of body fat and a BMI is indeed set by the field of medicine. You can fit into size 12 jeans and still be healthy (dependant upon height and age ofc), but there are many many many people that are overweight. You blame the current culture for promoting an unrealistic image, when in actual fact, it's the current culture of people sitting on their fat asses and eating big macs all day whilst driving 100 yard journeys that is far worse.

If people are eating healthy, varied diets, exercising and watching what they drink/smoke then they certainly don't have to be size x, but the fact of the matter is the vast majority simply do not do that and as such they are chubby fuckers (male and female).

All that aside, that TOR wont have fat women in it is hardly an issue to be fair.

You are neatly avoiding the fact that fat males ARE in the game and make far more common appearances in popular culture.  In any case, Phantom is right on all counts.  The portrayal of how women look sets an insane standard and is generally one of being underweight and that's not healthy at all either.

Yes, we have a weight problem in 1st world countries, but how does that justify a game "feature" that acts like overweight males aren't a problem but overweight females shouldn't exist?

And it's just as bad that fat blokes are portrayed so often, as it is for females to be thin. Are you saying it's bad to 'promote' thin women but it's perfectly acceptable to promote fat guys? There are indeed extremely thin models, but then there are also perfectly healthy models who people proclaim to be setting an unhealthy portrayal simply because they are too fucking lazy to get fit themselves.

That the game has made it gender specific is a bit odd, but frankly I find it far more worrying that people are so stupid as to not spend a bit of time actually finding out what is healthy for their specific gender/age/height and instead base their 'ideals' off a freaking computer game or a Victoria's Secret ad.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The entire idea that this should even be a topic of conversation shows more the extent of how critical people are being of TOR in comparison to just about EVERY OTHER DAMN GAME ON THE MARKET.

The question is,  how many games give you the choice of any of these body types,  through MEN or WOMEN, or... y'know,  aliens.   Even CoX with its millions of options, didn't really give a fair "portly" figure,  just a larger built one.  Most games don't give you the option at all.   Whether BioWare decides that fat male models are acceptable and women aren't really should be a non-issue.  Why not take issue with the fact that 90% of MMOs don't even cater to those models.  In the same sense, couldn't we say that every other game just doesn't want to cater to "fat people".  

Get over yourselves, for once, if you can.  What this has to do with story... I'll never know,  this entire thread is a joke.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

This may be the absolute most idiotic complaint I've ever heard in regards to this game, and that's saying something.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by harvest151

In my two years on the SWTOR forums, and the fact I own and participate on the forums of pretty much every game bioware ever put out since baldurs gate 1. I can say without pause, and with utter certanty, this is hands down the dumbest f'in think for a community to get in arms about. 

In keeping with the level of this thread:

"you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Ok, What movie is that from? I have heard it somewhere and it is going to kill me not knowking.

In Bioware we trust!

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by phantom1979

And it's not Western culture that tells us people shouldn't be fat, it's modern medicine.  Being fat is extremely unhealthy and is a major medical issue - especially in the western world.  

This is quite misguided.

The difference between the Media's sense of Fat and the Medical terming of obesity are at such polar opposites its hardly fair to even compare them.

The Media (and Im including Bioware in this if they choose to omit the larger lady) would have us believe that anyone over a size 8 is a fatty and should jump on a diet that includes popping Alli pills and Adios more than regular healthy meals. Basically if you arent shitting water, you're doing it wrong.

Medicine doesnt care about your body shape, or whether you can fit into your size 8 jeans, it just emphasises a healthy lifestyle through balanced meals, exercise and restraint when it comes to unhealthy things such as booze. If you hit the obese level, they will STILL have the focus on these elements of a healthy lifestyle, and not the newest fad superfoods or crash diets. (Obviously there are exceptions to this with the morbidly obese that need medical intervention)

Cultural pressures are most definitely to blame for the constant striving for the skinny figure, and Bioware should be ashamed that they feel the need to propagate this.

Yes and no. There media certainly does push an image of 'what is acceptable' that is technically below what is medically advisable, but then half of it is airbrushed anyway. That being said what any person 'carries' in terms of a healthy amount of body fat and a BMI is indeed set by the field of medicine. You can fit into size 12 jeans and still be healthy (dependant upon height and age ofc), but there are many many many people that are overweight. You blame the current culture for promoting an unrealistic image, when in actual fact, it's the current culture of people sitting on their fat asses and eating big macs all day whilst driving 100 yard journeys that is far worse.

If people are eating healthy, varied diets, exercising and watching what they drink/smoke then they certainly don't have to be size x, but the fact of the matter is the vast majority simply do not do that and as such they are chubby fuckers (male and female).

All that aside, that TOR wont have fat women in it is hardly an issue to be fair.

You are neatly avoiding the fact that fat males ARE in the game and make far more common appearances in popular culture.  In any case, Phantom is right on all counts.  The portrayal of how women look sets an insane standard and is generally one of being underweight and that's not healthy at all either.

Yes, we have a weight problem in 1st world countries, but how does that justify a game "feature" that acts like overweight males aren't a problem but overweight females shouldn't exist?

And it's just as bad that fat blokes are portrayed so often, as it is for females to be thin. Are you saying it's bad to 'promote' thin women but it's perfectly acceptable to promote fat guys? There are indeed extremely thin models, but then there are also perfectly healthy models who people proclaim to be setting an unhealthy portrayal simply because they are too fucking lazy to get fit themselves.

That the game has made it gender specific is a bit odd, but frankly I find it far more worrying that people are so stupid as to not spend a bit of time actually finding out what is healthy for their specific gender/age/height and instead base their 'ideals' off a freaking computer game or a Victoria's Secret ad.

It's doubly sexist, I don't disagree.

I'm not saying this is the most worrying thing ever, but it is sexist.  Naturally there are a lot of bigger issues in the world, but we ARE on a game forum so it is a relevant thing to discuss.  As for the epidemic of obesity and the poor portrayal of health weight, both of them are major problems that aren't easy to solve.  I'd go into my thoughts on it further, but I think it is a bit beyond the scope of this thread.

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by harvest151

In my two years on the SWTOR forums, and the fact I own and participate on the forums of pretty much every game bioware ever put out since baldurs gate 1. I can say without pause, and with utter certanty, this is hands down the dumbest f'in think for a community to get in arms about. 

In keeping with the level of this thread:

"you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Ok, What movie is that from? I have heard it somewhere and it is going to kill me not knowking.

I think it was.. billy madison?  Do I get the points?

• This just proves that gamers will try to pick out anything in a game to complain about.  Its almost like he wants to find something wrong with it so he can try to justify not playing it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by SuperXero89

This may be the absolute most idiotic complaint I've ever heard in regards to this game, and that's saying something.

I don't know whats worse, the original article, someone posting it under the premise of this threads title, or people getting in heated arguments over it. /facepalm

Leave the P.C. BS to the off topic forum please, thanks!

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

personally I am highly offended tht I can't play as a fat,legless,armless gelatanous and  female jedi based on a minor character from a planet mentioned once in a obscure Star Wars Novel that no one else remembers!!!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by punchrx

What a laughable post, Ive never seen a turd jump the gun with such ease.

yep, and in the meantime that poster is watching at his night elf female whole day long.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Unlight

While I think the case for thin-bias is valid, it's also true that were BW to include the option to have fat women, no one would actually make use of it, other than as a joke.  I mean, why go through the bother of expending development resources on a feature that will go almost totally unused, aside from promoting political correctness?

I'm sure BW will take some heat for the decision, which I also think would be somewhat warranted, but I personally can't fault them for being realistic and pragmatic.

The overweight male model would likely be used just as much as a heavyset female model would.

So why would they not bother making one for female character, yet make one for male characters? If it's an issue of resources, they shouldn't have even bothered with the overweight male model.

It's a non-sensicle double standard.

Originally posted by Ceridith

The overweight male model would likely be used just as much as a heavyset female model would.

So why would they not bother making one for female character, yet make one for male characters? If it's an issue of resources, they shouldn't have even bothered with the overweight male model.

Is it really that big of a deal? Is this something we should really be concerned about, honestly?

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

It's downright stupid to include fat males but not fat females.  That being said, I think you're going a bit overboard with the culture discussion.

There have been and are fat women on TV.  I think there is even a fat girl on Glee which is the most popular show on TV.  And it's not Western culture that tells us people shouldn't be fat, it's modern medicine.  Being fat is extremely unhealthy and is a major medical issue - especially in the western world.  So anything that tells people that being fat is bad is ultimately a good thing for the world, if not for a person's ego.  But honestly, encouraging ignorance by saying "it's great you're fat" is quite possibly the worst thing that can be done.  

There is no anti-fat conspiracy.

They just released a new show on CBS I think called Mike and Molly. The main chick in that is twice the size Rosanne was, so ya the original article doesn't pay attention much.

Isn't this the same game that original had the "The gay word will be censored in the game since there were no gays in the SW universe" issue before too? It seems this game just likes controversy really.

You're joking, right?  ONE example of a TV show with an overweight woman and you declare everything is ok?  The article listed several shows with overweight males.  It's a fact that overweight males in popular culture are quite common and unnotable.  One overweight female however is pretty unusual and nearly unheard of as a main character in a show.

Fat Actress

Mike and Molly

Ugly Betty

The Parkers

Oprah Winfrey ( in between diets )

Drop Dead Diva

Huge

Living Single

Rosie O'Donnel Show

Queen Latifah Show

The Practice

And many more.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by Malickie

Is it really that big of a deal? Is this something we should really be concerned about, honestly?

No, its not, but you'll take notice that the people making the biggest noise are of course,  the same ones that jump on TOR on these forums for everything, and constantly try to devalue the game.   It has absolutely no merits in comparison to other games, or the genre as a whole.  Its just another thing to gripe about to them.

Yes and yes.  How men and women are portrayed in games and other media matters.  It certainly matters enough to have one thread on the topic.

People like to pretend that these things don't affect anything and aren't affecting by anything.  However, the mere fact that Bioware thinks such an unnecessary double standard is nothing of note and that many here agree says something about our culture.  That's worth considering.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

It's downright stupid to include fat males but not fat females.  That being said, I think you're going a bit overboard with the culture discussion.

There have been and are fat women on TV.  I think there is even a fat girl on Glee which is the most popular show on TV.  And it's not Western culture that tells us people shouldn't be fat, it's modern medicine.  Being fat is extremely unhealthy and is a major medical issue - especially in the western world.  So anything that tells people that being fat is bad is ultimately a good thing for the world, if not for a person's ego.  But honestly, encouraging ignorance by saying "it's great you're fat" is quite possibly the worst thing that can be done.  

They just released a new show on CBS I think called Mike and Molly. The main chick in that is twice the size Rosanne was, so ya the original article doesn't pay attention much.

Isn't this the same game that original had the "The gay word will be censored in the game since there were no gays in the SW universe" issue before too? It seems this game just likes controversy really.

You're joking, right?  ONE example of a TV show with an overweight woman and you declare everything is ok?  The article listed several shows with overweight males.  It's a fact that overweight males in popular culture are quite common and unnotable.  One overweight female however is pretty unusual and nearly unheard of as a main character in a show.

Criminal Minds - the computer wizz is a fat chick - one of the main characters

Mike and Molly - Main chick is very large - one of the main characters

Huge - all of the main characters

That's So Raven - she is very large now - main character

Desperate Housewives - one of the women has a fat daughter - main plot point

The different Tyler Perry shows - I think all of them have a couple fat women in them

Those were off the top of my head. I'm sure if I cared enough to research it I could get an even longer list. I'm sure I could get a list that was the same length as a list of shows with fat men on them actually. But I'm sure you'll come up with some other way in which this proves nothing.

The fact is that the person who wrote the article is seeing what they want to see. They clearly are choosing to not watch or engage in the shows that have larger women in them. That says more about the article writer then about SW:toR. People find prejudice where they want to find it. If they look at all the facts they often see it is not the real case. This article writer just went off on something they caught wind of without doing any other actual research. It is called skewing the facts and it is all too common in today's news/blogs/articles (I'm looking at you Fox News).

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Fat Actress

Mike and Molly

Ugly Betty

The Parkers

Drop Dead Diva

Huge

Living Single

Rosie O'Donnel Show

Queen Latifah Show

The Practice

And many more.

Eh, if "Ugly Betty" is an example of someone fat to you, then you don't know what you are talking about so the many other shows I don't recognize there I find suspect.  Just because someone is not ridiculously thin doesn't mean they are fat.

Do note, however, that two of your entries are explicitly about fat people/women.  Fat males, on the other hand, like I said, are not notable.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

No, its not, but you'll take notice that the people making the biggest noise are of course,  the same ones that jump on TOR on these forums for everything, and constantly try to devalue the game.   It has absolutely no merits in comparison to other games, or the genre as a whole.  Its just another thing to gripe about to them.

You have a very poor memory about some of the people here.

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Fat Actress

Mike and Molly

Ugly Betty

The Parkers

Drop Dead Diva

Huge

Living Single

Rosie O'Donnel Show

Queen Latifah Show

The Practice

And many more.

Eh, if "Ugly Betty" is an example of someone fat to you, then you don't know what you are talking about so the many other shows I don't recognize there I find suspect.  Just because someone is not ridiculously thin doesn't mean they are fat.

Do note, however, that two of your entries are explicitly about fat people/women.  Fat males, on the other hand, like I said, are not notable.

What are you talking about,  there are a lot of actors that are extremely notable by being fat.

John Goodman is one of the greatest fat male actors,  very notable.

Jack black is overweight, also a fantastic actor

Drew Carey was always known for being heavyset,  also a fat actor. (though hes recently lost weight)

zach galifianakis is also a new, very popular fat actor.

If you remember John Candy and Chris Farley,  both overweight actors.

I could keep going.

• jaxinknightjaxinknight Member Posts: 16

First off, honestly who cares, they are only including the fat male option because people complained about customization worries.

On the real life thing, people who are sensitive about their weight are moronic. You get fat because you are lazy, genetics or not. If you have a predisposition to store fat via a low metabolism that means you don't eat as much, nothing says you have to heat three hots a day if you are only hungry for one. Also if you dont' get your fat ass to a gym that is your fault not societies. To many men and women hide behind societal pressures and "unfair standards" as a reason to just not try. Nothing is more sad than a 16 girl that weighs 260+ and then cries about not being thin or things not being easy.

I will admit i am not where i want to be personally ( I have about 10-15 lbs excess fat around my stomach that is being stubborn) but i also don't lament over it like there is nothing i can't do about it. 

BW saw no reason to make a fat female model, and thus did not. I'm willing to bet money that 60 percent of player characters will be female combining the real females and the alts/mains of men. and of those 60 percent i'd say 90 will use the "thin" body type. Conversely of the 40 percent of male characters 90 percent will use the muscular body type. There are biological reasons for this. A thin light woman moves quick and can therefore keep up with the heavy muscular male that hunts for food and can carry her. its our primal instincts that drive us. 

No, I don't.  I actually have a very good memory.  Nomatter what your views may have been, doesn't change what your views are now, and the need you feel to make this molehill a mountain.

Yes and yes.  How men and women are portrayed in games and other media matters.  It certainly matters enough to have one thread on the topic.

People like to pretend that these things don't affect anything and aren't affecting by anything.  However, the mere fact that Bioware thinks such an unnecessary double standard is nothing of note and that many here agree says something about our culture.  That's worth considering.

Games are a means to escape the everyday BS of our culture. Using them as an example of social malfunction is a tad overzealous IMO. Besides this should be a topic for Oprah or Dr. Phil not us gamer geeks to be discussing. This isn't the place to discuss social matters, at least in terms of North American culture. If you want to talk about political correctness, take it to the off topic forum.

Now if you want to discuss why this matters in the overall production value of TOR, I'm all ears.

Criminal Minds - the computer wizz is a fat chick - one of the main characters

Seriously?  Another example of "Hollywood Overweight"?

Fat males actually ARE fat.

No, I don't.  I actually have a very good memory.  Nomatter what your views may have been, doesn't change what your views are now, and the need you feel to make this molehill a mountain.

I'm just saying it is clearly a sexist double-standard.  I don't see how that is remotely arguable.

And I don't go around bashing everything about the game.  I have ONLY said I find the many WoW-like qualities of it disappointing (split pvp/pve gear, Holy Trinity combat, etc).  In fact I defended the game on these forums today.

Games are a means to escape the everyday BS of our culture. Using them as an example of social malfunction is a tad overzealous IMO. Besides this should be a topic for Oprah or Dr. Phil not us gamer geeks to be discussing. This isn't the place to discuss social matters, at least in terms of North American culture. If you want to talk about political correctness, take it to the off topic forum.

Now if you want to discuss why this matters in the overall production value of TOR, I'm all ears.

Games are part of our culture.  Playing them to get away from our culture is like vacationing in New Your City to get away from people.

This discussion has been closed.