Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random curious 3am question.

BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

So I was just sitting around reading the thread about games that might go f2p and I was curious of how many more subscribers WoW would get if it went f2p.

So just a silly question (because we all know it wont happen), if WoW went f2p what sub numbers does everyone think they'd pull in?

Let's assume f2p went live with cataclysm, and (I'm not sure) the current sub base right now is 11m.

Comments

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

i still wouldn't go back if it went f2p, lost complete interest

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

If it's free to play then would it have subscribers? Who would you count as a subscriber in this case? If you take LotRO as an example they have different levels of accounts. The VIP account means you pay a sub fee (or are a lifetime sub) so you can clearly count them as a subscriber. However, the rest of the people playing have different levels of payment in their time. Someone could be playing for absolute free without paying any money, and someone else could be paying a lot of money for the turbine points. How do you quantify that into subscriber numbers?

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Originally posted by arenasb

If it's free to play then would it have subscribers? Who would you count as a subscriber in this case? If you take LotRO as an example they have different levels of accounts. The VIP account means you pay a sub fee (or are a lifetime sub) so you can clearly count them as a subscriber. However, the rest of the people playing have different levels of payment in their time. Someone could be playing for absolute free without paying any money, and someone else could be paying a lot of money for the turbine points. How do you quantify that into subscriber numbers?

ahhh good point! I completely forgot about that fact.

Ok...well let's fine tune the question.

How many paying accounts (using the LOTRO setup for example) do you think WoW would have if they went to a f2p model?

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Blizzard takes in over $1 Billion a year in revenue.  They don't need to dick around with their revenue base.  They have more in the bank than most MMORPG devs will ever make over the lifetime of their games.  There is an old saying in business, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Completely missed my point. I wasn't talking about revenue or even if Bliz was going to make it F2P. Which I specifically said in my first post. I was just wondering what people's ideas of the numbers of players would be. Don't look deeper into it than what I'm trying to say.

p2p = 11m.

if it was f2p what do you think the number would be ?

simple.