Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the game running for you guys?

GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

At the moment, the game runs well for me for a short period of time. There's a lot of crashes however for me. I can't play for more than 15 minutes at a time, generally, because either it'll come up with an error, saying I have to close the game down, there'll be a connection error with the game server and boot me to character select, there'll be an error with directx, and it'll stop working for the game, and I'll have to restart, or it'll just completely kill my video card I guess, and the screen will go completely black and my monitor will stop working, and I have to press the power button to restart the computer. 

I'm running on windowed mode on a lower size than my monitor to see if that'd help for some reason, and on the lowest settings possible, and it just doesn't seem to wanna run for long.

How about you guys?

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit 

3ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400

4gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5600 video card

Not sure what else you need to know.

Comments

• maskedtearsmaskedtears Member UncommonPosts: 345

Are you turning on and off programs while you are in windowed mode? I find that if I turn on fraps while in windowed mode, I crash if I turn it off, it crashes. I have to turn on everything I want before I start the game in windowed mode and keep it on until I'm done playing. 

Also if you are in fullscreen then tabbing out at all will also cause this issue. 

Is it either of these? If not we can move on from there. 

You wanted my time, so I played you. You wanted my money, I forked it over. You wanted my soul, I gave it willingly. Not to complain... but when do I get my end of the deal? And no, I don't want your flippin' carrot. If you can't do that give me back my youth and keep the change. Why don't you try chasing your own damn carrot for a change? I'll gladly hold the stick.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by maskedtears

Are you turning on and off programs while you are in windowed mode? I find that if I turn on fraps while in windowed mode, I crash if I turn it off, it crashes. I have to turn on everything I want before I start the game in windowed mode and keep it on until I'm done playing. 

Also if you are in fullscreen then tabbing out at all will also cause this issue. 

Actually, it'll come up with an error when I switch to other programs, yeah. And that seems to be mostly when the directx issue happens. But the other ones have nothing to do with alt-tabbing or anything. 

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Running games at less than your native resolution can actually cause more instability in a lot of games.  I suggest if you haven't to turn down other settings via the Config program such as multisampling, Ambient Occlusion, and shadow detail.  There is also the possibility that your character might be in a zone which is for some reason unstable or has a missing/unoptimized texture, or maybe a placeholder that is causing your issue.

I have had very few crashes in the Open Beta at all, though I have a newer computer than yours as well.  When i did have a series of crashes in a row I found that by moving to another area (the grids within the map) it solved my problem and after a matter of minutes when I returned to that area I no longer had the issue.

Beta's crash, it is just common for actual betas (as opposed to betas of ported games), but these are just some suggestions to help fix your problem.

Your computer seems to be up to spec though, so I wouldn't expect you to have any serious unremediable issues at launch.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

runs good for me on max settings accept in towns, turn AA and shadows down slightly and I do good even in uldah.

I've had 2 crashes in beta over say 6 hours of play.

I have an i7-930

6 gigs of ram

HD 5770 as my GPU

Originally posted by Gajari

Actually, it'll come up with an error when I switch to other programs, yeah. And that seems to be mostly when the directx issue happens. But the other ones have nothing to do with alt-tabbing or anything. 

To fix the alt tab issue you should use a script such as this: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/14092-run-game-in-windowed-fullscreen-mode-instructions/

To give you the full screen effect without crashing the game while alt tabbing.

Originally posted by Murugan

Running games at less than your native resolution can actually cause more instability in a lot of games.  I suggest if you haven't to turn down other settings via the Config program such as multisampling, Ambient Occlusion, and shadow detail.  There is also the possibility that your character might be in a zone which is for some reason unstable or has a missing/unoptimized texture, or maybe a placeholder that is causing your issue.

I have had very few crashes in the Open Beta at all, though I have a newer computer than yours as well.  When i did have a series of crashes in a row I found that by moving to another area (the grids within the map) it solved my problem and after a matter of minutes when I returned to that area I no longer had the issue.

Beta's crash, it is just common for actual betas (as opposed to betas of ported games), but these are just some suggestions to help fix your problem.

Your computer seems to be up to spec though, so I wouldn't expect you to have any serious unremediable issues at launch.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'm expecting by launch that these will hopefully be hammered out. But for now, I just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if maybe there were others with a similar video card having issues, or maybe windows 7 64-bit for some reason wasn't as compatible as other windows, etc.

I'll have to give another area a try. Though I am just in Ul'dah, and running around the outskirts of the city.

Thanks again, Muru. I'll give that script a try in a few. 

And Pyro, thanks as well. I've already lowered everything to lowest settings and even turned off shadows (shadows made the game too laggy for me). 

Guess the best thing to do will be to wait for launch and hope for the best. I've never played in full screen on my monitors full resolution before, 'cause i usually play games in windowed mode, so maybe that'll help... gonna try it. 

And Pyro, thanks as well. I've already lowered everything to lowest settings and even turned off shadows (shadows made the game too laggy for me). 

Guess the best thing to do will be to wait for launch and hope for the best. I've never played in full screen on my monitors full resolution before, 'cause i usually play games in windowed mode, so maybe that'll help... gonna try it. 

The game plays 100%  better when playing in fullscreen because your computer dedicates more resources to the game. Lag is reduced significantly. You should also crash a lot less... 

You wanted my time, so I played you. You wanted my money, I forked it over. You wanted my soul, I gave it willingly. Not to complain... but when do I get my end of the deal? And no, I don't want your flippin' carrot. If you can't do that give me back my youth and keep the change. Why don't you try chasing your own damn carrot for a change? I'll gladly hold the stick.

The game plays 100%  better when playing in fullscreen because your computer dedicates more resources to the game. Lag is reduced significantly. You should also crash a lot less... 

Ah, good to know. Never really thought it would run any differently. Thanks. :)

Unfortunately right now I can't get logged in 'cause it keeps encountering a lobby error when I press the Start button. 

Unfortunately right now I can't get logged in 'cause it keeps encountering a lobby error when I press the Start button. 

No problem! I'm pretty sure OB just ended. http://www.ffxiv-status.com/ all the servers are down. 

• AnimatorKidAnimatorKid Member Posts: 208

Hard to say, it ran great then it ran like crap. I would crash on log in 6 times and then I would get like 3+ hours without a problem.

No problem! I'm pretty sure OB just ended. http://www.ffxiv-status.com/ all the servers are down. 

Aw, dammit... I was hoping to test out some crafting stuff tonight. Oh well.  I was kinda expecting that was what happened.

Yeah OB was suppose to end I think 1 hour ago. That would explain any extreme issues you ran into. 

Yeah OB was suppose to end I think 1 hour ago. That would explain any extreme issues you ran into. 

No, the extreme issues were happening for the last 5 days or so I was playing. 

Strange I had 0. Issues like what?

• AmprisAmpris Member UncommonPosts: 51

Being the Beta Client build is so old, it ran pretty good for me.

People are going to be surprised when the official client comes out, or even a week or two after. I have a feeling all these errors and other problems will vanish. Then its just problems with in the game itself.

Really though, run the bunchmark and get a score, on low if you get around 3000-4000 you should be good to run the game, not to mention the benchmark is quite bad of a client as well, the real game will run better, obviously.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Perhaps the game was overheating your video card, that would explain many of the issues (not the disconnection one though).

Originally posted by Ampris

Being the Beta Client build is so old, it ran pretty good for me.

People are going to be surprised when the official client comes out, or even a week or two after. I have a feeling all these errors and other problems will vanish. Then its just problems with in the game itself.

Really though, run the bunchmark and get a score, on low if you get around 3000-4000 you should be good to run the game, not to mention the benchmark is quite bad of a client as well, the real game will run better, obviously.

I got 1.2-4 I think and I can play it well enough. When I'm in full screen mode I can put the graphics up a lot more. When I play it in windowed however I have to put it on lowest because my computer freaks out with having to deal with so much stuff. 

No offense to Maskedtears but don't listen to this juding from he/she just posted above me I expect their computer differs from yours quite a bit.  WIth your computer spec you can run in windowed (or faux full screen with that script) without issue.

The beta was not optimized for all video cards, and it could also be your driver or something.  Shadows were a major cause of instability for a lot of cards during beta, but overall you should be fine at launch with less crashes due to it just not being beta (assuming the servers dont' have any issues with the increased load).

Playing the game at native resolution in windows mode should work fine for you, it works fine for me and everyone I know and if they had issues they merely tweaked some settings and it fixed 99% of their issues.  In preperation for launch I would just make sure everything on your computer was up to date, and run counterspy and if you have it Norton internet Security with these two programs you can catch 99% of any issues affecting your computer should that be the issue as well.

If you really want to you can run it in full screen mode, but I personally that the inability to alt tab, especially since you can now copy chat making google translate for Japanese text a real option, is just too much of an inconvenience to pass up windowed (with the pesky window bar removed of course so it doesn't take away any screen room at native res)

If you have any issues at launch and are on selbina send me a tell raj murugan, my friend who I play with is a technician who I generally pester for any such problems.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Windows 7 Home 32, 4 GB ram, Q6600 (Quad Core - FFXIV uses all four CPU), GeForce 250.

Most places?  The game runs fine.  I found that switching textures from "High" to "Standard" cuts the time spent to update NPC/PC models (e.g. when you switch your equipment) down to roughly a quarter, without any noticable loss of visual quality (those "Standard" textures are still pretty high quality).  I also found that Ambient Occlusion will chug the machine down to unplayability if i set my buffer to "double."  Ambient Occlusion is somewhat costly on CPU time, but does indeed make for some realistic lighting when it's on, but it's a very subtle difference.  I've yet to identify any clear benefit at all to settting buffer past "resolution" except perhaps to slow down my FPS (maybe this is for 3D Vision display).

I found that there has been a reduction in the lag when dealing with my standard inventory screen and scrolling my retainer's list at the end of beta.  However, I do notice a lot of UI lag when:

• Manually changing my equipped armor/weapons.  (Fortunately, this can be mostly circumvented via the /equip macro.)

• Manually changing my equipped abilities.  (Fortunately, this can be mostly circumvented via the /eaction macro.)

• In crafting mode when scrolling through my inventory to manually pick out crafting ingrediants.  (Cannot be circumvented, although using mouse to scroll the inventory may help.)

• In selling items to the static NPCs mode, when selling through my inventory to manually select items to sell.  (Cannot be circumvented, although using the mouse to scroll the inventory may help.)

• Scrolling through my or my retainer's Bazaar screen.  (Cannot be circumvented, although using the mouse to scroll the inventory may help.)

Those are the big ones.  Suffice to say, I'm glad to hear they've acknowledged that inventory lag is a problem...

Inventory Response Time

We are fully aware that inventory interface response speed needs to be improved.

At the time of release, we hope to have made significant improvement, and plan to continue our work after release as well.

...and look forward to seeing what they come up with it.  Not that I can't simply grin and bear it in the meanwhile, but it's not infrequent I need to take a saving throw versus patience to avoid frustration.