Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP to take the mask off of World of Darkness at The Grand Masquerade

NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

wanted to copy and paste this here to get some attention going for this....

Quote:

We've been biting our nails waiting for CCP to fully unwrap its promised World of Darkness MMO, but so far the company is playing its dark cards close to the chest. However, if you happen to be in New Orleans later this month, you may be among the first to pry substantial information from the slavering jaws of the developers.

Last month, CCP community developer Shane DeFreest strongly hinted that the upcoming White Wolf convention, The Grand Masquerade, would be the company's first big step to show the game to the anxious public. The convention website has since posted a list of event panels for the weekend, which includes a session entitled "Tell the World of Darkness Development team what you want to see in the MMO" as well as several other MMO-specific panels.

The Grand Masquerade will run from September 23-26, 2010, at the Roosevelt Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New Orleans. As the future of the World of Darkness is revealed, Massively will be sure to bring you the news. Just... not until we make our own dark pacts first.

lots more info here for World of Darkness

We've known for some time that CCP planned to use physics simulation to make the clothes in EVE Online's Incarna expansion and their upcoming World of Darkness MMO more realistic. They even gave a talk on using NVidia's APEX cloth simulation at the 2010 Game Developer's Conference. Until now, all we've seen are technical details and the occasional screenshot, which makes it hard to work out how the end product will look.

NVidia have released a new video this week of CCP's cloth simulation in action, giving those of us that are interested a sneak peak at the incredibly impressive results. Although APEX cloth simulation will be introduced to EVE when Incarna is released, the video looks much more like something out of World of Darkness. As an added bonus, the system seems to simulate realistic hair and not just clothes. Hair in most MMOs has always been limited to shorter styles which would look alright without animation. The ability to simulate complex clothes and long hair styles make character customisation in World of Darkness and EVE's Incarna expansion look very promising.

Physically simulated clothing by CCP using NVIDIA APEX

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
Waiting on: Lost Ark
Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

Comments

• azzalanazzalan Member Posts: 83

http://www.thegrandmasquerade.com/event/darkness_revealed.html

4Days

23Hours

44Minutes

I'm waiting. =)

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

bump

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• DittoDitto Member Posts: 84

I have seen the vid a couple of months back but im not falling for it.It wont be ingame at that level of quality and most certaintly not in a MMO enviroment.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by Ditto

I have seen the vid a couple of months back but im not falling for it.It wont be ingame at that level of quality and most certaintly not in a MMO enviroment.

QFT!

I remember before EQ2 came out when the Nvidia FX brand was being pimped to be able to handle EQ2 on max settings, yet was the biggest pos to come out ever.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I hope CCP won't make a bland copy/paste "the world standard" MMO from World World of Darkness. I love Vampire and Werewolf settings and hope for the best.

• celinerellcelinerell Member Posts: 5

While it's really good to see physically simulated clothing in game, it doesn't mean that the game is worth playing just because of this.

P.S. I'm not saying that EVE Online is a bad game.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Don't assume WoD will be a masterpiece because CCP created EvE.

It took CCP quite a while to make EvE even worth logging in for more than 10 minutes without uninstalling.

I expect WoD to release and trudge along the same way with a dedicated, RP heavy playerbase supporting it.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Rockgod99

I expect WoD to release and trudge along the same way with a dedicated, RP heavy playerbase supporting it.

That would be fantastic.  A fantasy MMO with the complexity and ambition of EVE would be very welcome.  I am not 100% ssure CCP would take it in the same direction though.  Will be very interesting to see as they've been by far the most uncompromising MMO developer and if they aren't going to stick to principles on a game, then no one ever will.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by Ditto

Wow, you saw a tech demo of some physics they're using and drew a conclusion about a game that has had NO other information released about it.  Congratulations.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Looking forward to the info.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

It took CCP quite a while to make EvE even worth logging in for more than 10 minutes without uninstalling.

That said, it would be really refreshing to see an MMORPG that actually genuinely supports roleplaying, not just "Kill 10 rats, *ding*, kill 10 Foxes, *ding*..."

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

I'm watching this too. This could be something not only different, but which goes beyond the old standby of play-to-level. It could be damn entertaining. Or it could be just the same thing in another package. I'm hoping for the best here.

Once upon a time....

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

Now, I have never played any WoD game but I doubt they consist of killing ten rats and raise a level.

If CCP can take this "thing" and put it into a MMO setting it could turn out truly innovative and awesome.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I wish them good luck because we need quality mmos these days. I am kind of axious to see what their world looks like.

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

I may go to this.

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

lol, I just remembered of VtMB. Such an underrated game. Sure, it had its bugs but the quality gameplay made up for it and more. These people here are using a well accepted name so I can only hope they do it justice.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

I have been waiting for confirmation of WOD for years ...I can't wait :)

Thx Op for the good information

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

Wait... do I have to dress up like a fat vampire to go to this? Not making fun of the people going, just myself because I'm a fatty. Especially by vampire standards.

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185

Between WoD and TSW i have high hopes someone will bring RPing back into MMOs....but i aint holding my breath just just yet, on both counts.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

I am going to jump on the CCP bandwagon for this. A real good horror MMO done right will keep me gaming for a long time.

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Originally posted by roaland

Between WoD and TSW i have high hopes someone will bring RPing back into MMOs....but i aint holding my breath just just yet, on both counts.

Yeah, given the average wait time for game development these days, I don't think you could make it!image

• roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by NeerDoWell

Originally posted by roaland

Yeah, given the average wait time for game development these days, I don't think you could make it!image

that depends on whether i was a Vampire or a Werewolfimage

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

At the same time, when they released EvE, they didn't have a fraction of the experience they have now. So, there is at least some cause to be optimistic. I'd be more concerned about the PvE aspects of the game and how quests/missions, or other activities, would be handled. Also anxious to see what aspects of EvE find there way into WoD (single shard, character specialization/options, etc would be examples).

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

Originally posted by mklinic

At the same time, when they released EvE, they didn't have a fraction of the experience they have now. So, there is at least some cause to be optimistic. I'd be more concerned about the PvE aspects of the game and how quests/missions, or other activities, would be handled. Also anxious to see what aspects of EvE find there way into WoD (single shard, character specialization/options, etc would be examples).

LOL, he said shard! UO much?

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

I've been waiting for this since back in 2007 when WW and CCP first even HINTED that they were making this.  Thanks for this post.   Me and my friend would spark up conversations about what they would do, and how they would do certain things.  But the fact that CCP has proven they can make a game world fully player run is a step in the right direction for WoD to succeed.  The one thing this game CANNOT be and succeed is a WoW clone... that just will not work with this world and setting.  No such thing as a "go collect 12 bird feathers"  in this world.  

One conversation that sparked up quite often between us was Blood Hunts..... the possibilities for those are going to be awsome!!  Just imagine having a meeting somewhere in the city between a few different "guilds" talking about a player that committed the Diablierie (spellcheck), then an all out city wide hunt is started for said player. :)     This game could turn out to be very great, and if done correctly, is just going to be an amazing game.

Edit:   and that would go hand in hand with... everyone for themselves  (FFA pvp), BUT....having to know when it's good to be friendly and good to be an ass. :)

This discussion has been closed.