Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the back of the box for APB....

AioxAiox Member Posts: 6

...it says, "Realtime Worlds may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on www.apb.com"

As far as I'm aware, didn't they give less than 24 hours notice? Should they have given 30 days notice? It probably doesn't matter much now, but I was just wondering.

Comments

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Talk about some epic foreshadowing. I guess RealTime Worlds banked everything on the success of this MMORPG... So much so that they had to put a disclaimer on the back of the box! I bought mine digitally so I didn't get to read this nice little tidbit.

Nice find, though!

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • bobafett573bobafett573 Member Posts: 50

FYI I've never seen an MMO that didn't mention that on the back of the box...it's common practice because no MMO lasts forever (or are people still playing MUD today?)

Originally posted by bobafett573

FYI I've never seen an MMO that didn't mention that on the back of the box...it's common practice because no MMO lasts forever (or are people still playing MUD today?)

Just looked on the back of the Aion box and there's no mention of such disclaimer. Checked my WoW boxes, too and nothing. Also checked my EQ2 Box and RF Online Box.. You sure you're not just making that up?

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Originally posted by bobafett573

Just looked on the back of the Aion box and there's no mention of such disclaimer. Checked my WoW boxes, too and nothing. Also checked my EQ2 Box and RF Online Box.. You sure you're not just making that up?

Just checked Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners, and Chronicles of Spellborn. No such notice.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

THink you guys are missing the point he is saying they didn't even leave the servers up for the 30 days which is required.They pulled the servers within 24 hours after they gave notice.I would take it back to store and demand a refund. They broke there own agreement.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

checked LoTRO and Fallen Earth... nada.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

Originally posted by rznkain

THink you guys are missing the point he is saying they didn't even leave the servers up for the 30 days which is required.They pulled the servers within 24 hours after they gave notice.I would take it back to store and demand a refund. They broke there own agreement.

I suppose you could write a strongely worded letter to RealTime Worlds and demand a refund, but there's nothing that suggests RTW is responsible or liable for any such problems. Unfortunately, we're out $50, but that's life for ya. Also, I forgot I also own LOTRO. Just checked that box as well. Also nothing. Wow, I really own a lot of MMORPGs, lol

imageimageimage
  • DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Every EULA/ToS from MMOGs mentions something about the game service being closed down, but they don't always print anything about it on the game box...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Originally posted by Darkholme

Every EULA/ToS from MMOGs mentions something about the game service being closed down, but they don't always print anything about it on the game box...

I'm going to have to take your word on that one as I don't read the EULA... =P.

Edit: A quick google of the phrase "may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on" has yielded interesting results. Apparently any EA MMORPG is bound by this, too. Since EA published APB, it's no surprise they stuck that on there.

imageimageimage
  • RogueSevenRogueSeven Member Posts: 321

perhaps we can send an email to EA and they'll give us 50 dollars credit towards the EA store...id use it for TOR is TOR comes out on their store ^_^

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Well if that's true then they should get into some trouble for that...

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

As they are in adminstration they won't get into any kind of trouble for pulling the plug.  The  adminstrators will just shut the company down, with next to no notice to the employees, and its probably what's occuring.  I get the sence the employees have gone and the servers were simply left on.

Realtime Worlds won't be making the decisions at this point.

• TwizteD25TwizteD25 Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by rznkain

=== 20/09/2010 ===

Looks like the patch servers have been taken offline now.

=== 18/09/2010 ===

Patching was down for a time today, but is up again now. APB!

=== 17/09/2010 ===

The game and patching service was down for a while, but it's back up for now, we'll continue to keep it running for as long as possible!

Servers are finally down :(

I R SAD

• TwizteD25TwizteD25 Member Posts: 31

go to ea support live chat and get your refund with a free copy of battlefield bad company 2 or another title, but I think it is the best one. I even used steam to purchase APB and EA gave me a refund of BC2

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Aiox

...it says, "Realtime Worlds may retire online features after 30 days notice posted on www.apb.com"

As far as I'm aware, didn't they give less than 24 hours notice? Should they have given 30 days notice? It probably doesn't matter much now, but I was just wondering.

And that right there is enough to chargeback EVERYTHING you ever paid for in the game, including the game itself. Breach of contract on the service providers behalf.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Aiox

And that right there is enough to chargeback EVERYTHING you ever paid for in the game, including the game itself. Breach of contract on the service providers behalf.

Go through EA if you want to seek a refund though, Trying to contact RTW will lead to nothing, they have no money to give refunds, the fact that they had to pull the plug so quickly speaks worlds about their financial state (not to mention the whole banktrupcy thing).

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

While most games don't have this on the box, they all *do* have it in the EULA. You should try reading one of those sometime. I remember waiting for SWG to download after I bought it from Circuit City (rip) when I got bored of looking at the progress bar. Just reading it gave me little hope towards what I had just purchased, a lot of it sounds downright scamliscious. They are all like that though.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture