Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm impressed.

2»

Comments

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Shh, we know it's a great game, despite not being perfect... it's just more fun to complain about it.

This is why you get on peoples nerves ... picking fights when its completely not necessary.

(op I'm glad your having fun)

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Actually I considered myself a fanboi of the FF series; I own them all except the MMOs. Yes, even X-2, which I even on some level enjoyed despite the opinion of almost everyone else (grinding the dress spheres kinda sucked though).

I still think ff14 is the lamest piece of crap out there. I really, really expected more from such a huge IP. They clearly have the money and the talent for something much grander than what amounts to a face-lifted ditto of every other game out there. The worst part is that on top of lack of originality, the battles aren't even fun. They just these slow toil away moments of 'can we get on with it already?'-ness

All games are a waste of time if you think about it. You are in fact wasting time by playing something that's in no way productive. However, I've never actually ~felt~ like I was wasting my time as much as I did while playing in the ff14 Beta. Players should be more aware of how much better spent the hours they spend on video games could be, and decide if the game they're playing is really worthy of that investment. You'll never get that time back, after all.

Mind you I'm still a gamer through and through and will continue wasting hours of my life in front of a video game. I'm just going to pick a better one.

If this is your bag then stick with it. I thought APB was lame as well, but I still feel bad that it went down because I know people that enjoyed it, and it seems a shame for all the work and effort that went into it is now wasted. I personally, have never been more uninterested in a final fantasy game.

Sad, really. Like watching your favorite character in a movie crash and burn.

ffxi wasnt great at release. dont understand your problem with xiv but if it sbecause its to hard get lost

Actually I considered myself a fanboi of the FF series; I own them all except the MMOs. Yes, even X-2, which I even on some level enjoyed despite the opinion of almost everyone else (grinding the dress spheres kinda sucked though).

I still think ff14 is the lamest piece of crap out there. I really, really expected more from such a huge IP. They clearly have the money and the talent for something much grander than what amounts to a face-lifted ditto of every other game out there. The worst part is that on top of lack of originality, the battles aren't even fun. They just these slow toil away moments of 'can we get on with it already?'-ness

All games are a waste of time if you think about it. You are in fact wasting time by playing something that's in no way productive. However, I've never actually ~felt~ like I was wasting my time as much as I did while playing in the ff14 Beta. Players should be more aware of how much better spent the hours they spend on video games could be, and decide if the game they're playing is really worthy of that investment. You'll never get that time back, after all.

Yeah, we get a lot of these, too: "I'm a big Final Fantasy Fan, but I hate MMORPGs, but nonetheless I expected to like a Final Fantasy MMORPG, and let down because it played like an MMORPG!

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that there's significant technical overhead involved in making something a massively multiplayer experience that wil make the game play signifcantly differently, which can be a bit of a slap in the face for Final Fantasy fans who don't like MMOs. 

It's kind of misleading they spin it as part of the same series, really.  Should make it more of a spin-off title, e.g. ":Crystal Chronicles" and not "XIV."

its plays like an rpg and mmorpg

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by toddze

Mind you I'm still a gamer through and through and will continue wasting hours of my life in front of a video game. I'm just going to pick a better one.

If this is your bag then stick with it. I thought APB was lame as well, but I still feel bad that it went down because I know people that enjoyed it, and it seems a shame for all the work and effort that went into it is now wasted. I personally, have never been more uninterested in a final fantasy game.

And the self centered attitude continues. " I dont like this game therefore no one else will like it"

I sincerely hope that everyone who buys this game likes it.  I would not wish a bad experience on anyone who payed for quality entertainment.   The game isn't ready.  A week or two from launch and it really has no urgency to combat and a UI and chat system that is lacking...  which may not be all bad for some - but I think a lot of people are looking for something new, ya know?  Honestly.. vindictus sucks too and its getting good ratings.  MMOs are just falling apart lately.  If you want a good MMO, have the devs interact with the players.  Hold events daily.  Hire people to excite the masses.  I guess that what I am trying to say is that if you think FFXIV is polished and won't bring you more frustration than pleasure, you are seriously deluding yourself.  I think FFXIV has more than any other new MMO coming out.  That should tell all of us something.  Ultimately it is your decision. 

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Yeah, we get a lot of these, too: "I'm a big Final Fantasy Fan, but I hate MMORPGs, but nonetheless I expected to like a Final Fantasy MMORPG, and let down because it played like an MMORPG!

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that there's significant technical overhead involved in making something a massively multiplayer experience that wil make the game play signifcantly differently, which can be a bit of a slap in the face for Final Fantasy fans who don't like MMOs. 

It's kind of misleading they spin it as part of the same series, really.  Should make it more of a spin-off title, e.g. ":Crystal Chronicles" and not "XIV."

They should of called it Final Fantasy Online 2 , makes kinda sence

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by HardwareGuy

And the self centered attitude continues. " I dont like this game therefore no one else will like it"

I sincerely hope that everyone who buys this game likes it.  I would not wish a bad experience on anyone who payed for quality entertainment.   The game isn't ready.  A week or two from launch and it really has no urgency to combat and a UI and chat system that is lacking...  which may not be all bad for some - but I think a lot of people are looking for something new, ya know?  Honestly.. vindictus sucks too and its getting good ratings.  MMOs are just falling apart lately.  If you want a good MMO, have the devs interact with the players.  Hold events daily.  Hire people to excite the masses.  I guess that what I am trying to say is that if you think FFXIV is polished and won't bring you more frustration than pleasure, you are seriously deluding yourself.  I think FFXIV has more than any other new MMO coming out.  That should tell all of us something.  Ultimately it is your decision. 

I assume you wrote that in red and accidently did it in my quote.

I am going to level with you. Do we think FFXIV has flaws? No we dont think it has flaws, we know it has flaws. I have not seen an FFXIV fan claim otherwise. theres a lot of problems and nussences that ffxiv has, no AH, no inventory sort, UI lag, theres a lot of little things that needs work. But is the game ready? Yes for some of us it is. Its very understandable that its not for everyone at this time, at some point maybe yes, but there will also be a crowd of folks that it will never be for. The UI wont change, there not all of the sudden going to make it more friendly. So again why do you guys feel the need to force your opinions down our throats? If you dont like it fine move on? Were not in the SW, GW2, tera, rift boards telling you guys how great FFXIV is.  Go find a game thats for you,

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by HardwareGuy

Originally posted by toddze

ffxiv might be a lil rough around the edges but i trust in SE to get it pretty good within a month after release and theyare already working on some stuff for release

• Sober55Sober55 Member Posts: 28

After reading all the negative crap in these forums I cancelled my CE pre-order and it is too late now to pre-order it. I will pre-order standard edition, though. I was finally able to get all OB files downloaded today and played it myself. I agree with OP, game is awesome and I will definitely buy it. You need to get used to using JILK keys for camera rotation as you move instead of the mouse. Mouse is totally usable, just not for FPS-type camera moves, though holding  right-mouse button does rotate the camera on the move. UI is not nearly as bad as described in these forums, and menues don't have more than two levels to get to the right stuff. Quests update themselves, and after you finish a guildleve there is a teleport to questgiver. Copy-paste stuff is not noticeable at all. Game looks beautiful. City is huge and looks much more real than in WoW. There are tutotial-type hints, but more subtle rather than a big arrow to point you where to go. Game controls are easy to learn. Interaction with NPC's looks similar to the dialogues you get in Gamecube games such as Legend of Zelda. Since it is not new to me, it was not a shocker. I have not played FF before except FF XIII very briefly. My PC has i7 960 GeForce 480 GTX 12Gb RAM DDR3 1600 and lag is not an issue (though in cut scenes sometimes you see a 'wave'). 35 FFP in town/tavern on 1920x1080 res with very high shadow and max AA setting. I compared FF14 to WoW and LOTRO as well as EVE once again and will definitely give it a shot.

• maskedtearsmaskedtears Member UncommonPosts: 345

Originally posted by Sober55

After reading all the negative crap in these forums I cancelled my CE pre-order and it is too late now to pre-order it. I will pre-order standard edition, though. I was finally able to get all OB files downloaded today and played it myself. I agree with OP, game is awesome and I will definitely buy it. You need to get used to using JILK keys for camera rotation as you move instead of the mouse. Mouse is totally usable, just not for FPS-type camera moves, though holding  right-mouse button does rotate the camera on the move. UI is not nearly as bad as described in these forums, and menues don't have more than two levels to get to the right stuff. Quests update themselves, and after you finish a guildleve there is a teleport to questgiver. Copy-paste stuff is not noticeable at all. Game looks beautiful. City is huge and looks much more real than in WoW. There are tutotial-type hints, but more subtle rather than a big arrow to point you where to go. Game controls are easy to learn. Interaction with NPC's looks similar to the dialogues you get in Gamecube games such as Legend of Zelda. Since it is not new to me, it was not a shocker. I have not played FF before except FF XIII very briefly. My PC has i7 960 GeForce 480 GTX 12Gb RAM DDR3 1600 and lag is not an issue (though in cut scenes sometimes you see a 'wave'). 35 FFP in town/tavern on 1920x1080 res with very high shadow and max AA setting. I compared FF14 to WoW and LOTRO as well as EVE once again and will definitely give it a shot.

Glad to have you back on board. Though I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that you left in the first place. And I think you can still pre-order online until the 21st. =D

You wanted my time, so I played you. You wanted my money, I forked it over. You wanted my soul, I gave it willingly. Not to complain... but when do I get my end of the deal? And no, I don't want your flippin' carrot. If you can't do that give me back my youth and keep the change. Why don't you try chasing your own damn carrot for a change? I'll gladly hold the stick.