Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally something different -- and fun! (My review of closed beta)

2»

Comments

• warpsychowarpsycho Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by DreigonIdrie

So how is this different than VCO? looks and sounds the same. Also what about the pvp? we heard about the softer side now tell us about the WAR. Port raids? Nation Wars? Can I be a pirate? loved VCO until it tanked hard, would  be interested in a replacement for it assuming its not one big pve carebear fest.

So u want to have the difference between UWo and VCO.

UWO much better graphics (i played VCO and get eye cancer)

UWO much better world map

UWO have better economic/craft system

UWO have better political system

UWO is not a fantasy game like VCO (UWO is more like a historical naval game where u realy play the 15-17century)

UWO IS JUST BETTER IN ALL TERMS EXCEPT  the fight system is a bit better in VCO

Isnt Pirates of the BUrning sea better than this?

like VCO POTBS  have a better fight system but UWO dont need to hide

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by M4ko

Someone had posted a lengthy comparison of the two games, I'll try to find it , but a couple points I seem to recall was that PotBS did a superior job on PvP & action/combat, while UWO had a lot more content, better economic model  and a larger more immersive world. 

I am sure there are many people who feel PotBS is a better game.

I am equally sure there are many people who feel UWO is superior. 

Probably we will never reach a unanimous decision on which is "better". Just which suits each person better. All I can offer is my own personal experience that I tried PotBS  and could never get into it, I tried UWO and could not  stop playing it.

But it may be the exact opposite for you.

edit: on the graphics, people will also disagree on this. UWO has a very 'old school' feel which likely will feel 'dated' and turn some people off, however I found the muted color palettes and general art direction to be warm and inviting, not garish like many newer MMOs. I enjoyed being in the world.   I downloaded VCO to check it out, the art was indeed more "sophisticated" and threw in a lot more detail, but felt distant and cold and sterile to me.

I think this is again a very personal thing.  People are not going to agree. However I have seen a few screenshots of VCO that, on their own, looked absolutely  lovely and I would have to say superior to UWO, so in a screenshot contest I would expect VCO to win. I just felt different "feelings"  ingame for each. It is a hard one to score, I expect a few people are going to rate UWO very very low on graphics. But I liked the graphics.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

The only thing i didn't like about burning sea (and no i'm not abbreviating that) is the fact that when your ship sank due to goodness knows what reason (in my case getting PVPed when i skimmed a brief side of the red circle then got mauled down by 5 people) and losing all of my gear, i think ship included if i recall.  It's not so much getting pvped though i think the people who do pvp tend to sit in packs in that game, it's the losing everything i didn't like.

UWO does similar except if you die you lose some durability not everything you own except whats on your back.  PotBS might be closer to reality when you sink but UWO (in my opinion) is more fun because i'm not always back to step 1 when i die or lose a battle for whatever reason.

So i think PotBS has better graphics this has the game play features i like a lot better.  Also in PotBS, you picked pirate, you had safe ports and places that noone could get you. that doesn't feel like a pirate to me.  A pirate has to hide in plain sight and worry about being hunted all the time.  Which i think UWO has captured closer to this reality then PotBS did.

Of course this is just how i see it. I'll be enjoying the game (whenever they decide to release the open beta client) right along with the rest of the Frenchies.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

In that second screenie the water seems like it's moving, it's freaking me out I can get it to stand still.

OT might give it a try on the old laptop

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Originally posted by mrw0lf

In that second screenie the water seems like it's moving, it's freaking me out I can get it to stand still.

OT might give it a try on the old laptop

lol you know I just looked at that pic and watched the water for a second and your absolutly right.. it does look like its moving.

• PorallPorall Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by whilan

Also in PotBS, you picked pirate, you had safe ports and places that noone could get you. that doesn't feel like a pirate to me.  A pirate has to hide in plain sight and worry about being hunted all the time.  Which i think UWO has captured closer to this reality then PotBS did.

Good point that not a lot of the reviews mention.  There is a faction system in the game for each of the nations, including non-player nations.  I'm not sure how severe it is though.  If you become hostle to a nation, that nation's warships will agro you.  During CB people were asking how to repair factions and some of the answers mentioned that you just have to wait it out.  Stop killing that nation and in time your faction will be good enough to not be KoS.   Definelty sounds like a fun but tough decision to make if you wanna be a pirate.   There was so much to explore and try out in CB I didn't even get to the pirate aspect, but it sure looks interesting.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

This is definitely a game I want to check out. I discovered it a few weeks ago, and really liked what I was reading about it. I've heard a lot of positive reviews on the CB, so I'm hoping it's as good as it looks.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by brash99

Someone had posted a lengthy comparison of the two games, I'll try to find it , but a couple points I seem to recall was that PotBS did a superior job on PvP & action/combat, while UWO had a lot more content, better economic model  and a larger more immersive world. 

It's a fairly easy choice:

Potbs - Primarily PVP.

Higher risk & loss, better ship "combat" & has real boarding plus avcom, player driven economy; smaller limited Caribbean map.

UWO - Primarily PVE.

Lower risk & more varied features, bigger World map with diverse economy, more depth of content for adventure & exploration.

• hellswinterhellswinter Member Posts: 17

I stumbled upon this game by accident checking my daily MMORPG sites. After being addicted to the anime One Piece and actually decided to read up on the game details and first thing I saw was how the class system worked. It is kind of similiar to the SWG class system. The world seems fairly large and fun to explore. I will be trying this MMO on Oct 1st for the open beta and I feel like it will be amazing.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Well...I have to say...we may have found some buried treasure with this game.I have not played in beta but from what i'v read it looks like my kind of game.If the game forums are a cause for concerns perhaps some players will create their own game sites that are more gamer friendly.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Gee whiz, this game is not going to be anywhere near the Pirates of the Burning Sea experience.  But now it is clear why PotBS is going free-to-play.  It is to make sure they offer a free-to-play option to counter what this game is offering.

Let's be clear:  If you want to try this kind of game you should really be going to PotBS first.  They just rolled out an expansion and the game offers alot.  PvP heavy, but for us carebears it makes it more exciting when you have to sail through the pvp zones to deliver your cargo and avoid being attacked by pirates. 

• bengenbengen Member Posts: 4

I played in the CBT of this game and decided to try the 14-day Trial of PotBS while waiting for UWO OBT.

Frankly, I lost interest in PotBS, it doesn't have nearly the same depth as UWO.

But, if you want another fighting game then maybe you might like PotBS better, but to me, that seems to be all there is to it pretty much for the most part. Sorry, but I very much prefer the variety and freshness of UWO. Personally, I'm sick of the same old MMOs out there.

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

Originally posted by brash99

Probably we will never reach a unanimous decision on which is "better". Just which suits each person better. All I can offer is my own personal experience that I tried PotBS  and could never get into it, I tried UWO and could not  stop playing it.

But it may be the exact opposite for you.

edit: on the graphics, people will also disagree on this. UWO has a very 'old school' feel which likely will feel 'dated' and turn some people off, however I found the muted color palettes and general art direction to be warm and inviting, not garish like many newer MMOs. I enjoyed being in the world.   I downloaded VCO to check it out, the art was indeed more "sophisticated" and threw in a lot more detail, but felt distant and cold and sterile to me.

I think this is again a very personal thing.  People are not going to agree. However I have seen a few screenshots of VCO that, on their own, looked absolutely  lovely and I would have to say superior to UWO, so in a screenshot contest I would expect VCO to win. I just felt different "feelings"  ingame for each. It is a hard one to score, I expect a few people are going to rate UWO very very low on graphics. But I liked the graphics.

i see thx

• ResiaResia Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by whilan

The only thing i didn't like about burning sea (and no i'm not abbreviating that) is the fact that when your ship sank due to goodness knows what reason (in my case getting PVPed when i skimmed a brief side of the red circle then got mauled down by 5 people) and losing all of my gear, i think ship included if i recall.  It's not so much getting pvped though i think the people who do pvp tend to sit in packs in that game, it's the losing everything i didn't like.

UWO does similar except if you die you lose some durability not everything you own except whats on your back.  PotBS might be closer to reality when you sink but UWO (in my opinion) is more fun because i'm not always back to step 1 when i die or lose a battle for whatever reason.

So i think PotBS has better graphics this has the game play features i like a lot better.  Also in PotBS, you picked pirate, you had safe ports and places that noone could get you. that doesn't feel like a pirate to me.  A pirate has to hide in plain sight and worry about being hunted all the time.  Which i think UWO has captured closer to this reality then PotBS did.

Of course this is just how i see it. I'll be enjoying the game (whenever they decide to release the open beta client) right along with the rest of the Frenchies.

Could you clarify what the death penalty is in UWO? What do you loose? I am somewhat familiar with Pirates of the Burning Sea back from Beta quite awhile ago. But i am not a PvP player so did not continue with that game live, so I would like to know more about the consequences in this game.

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

I don't think you actually "die" in the game, rather you lose a ship and its goods (though you can insure them). But I am not familiar with with the land combat portions of the game or how that works.  What would be your "health bar" in anothergame, is instead your "ship durability" bar here. 

Also, from another thread on the official uwo forums I had posted this for why this is kind of an "old school" and "niche" game, that does NOT attempt to appeal to everyone (but succeeds at all points, on appealing to ME), and maybe something here will give others a "feel" for what sort of game it is:

I often describe the game to others as 'old school' for the following reasons:

1)  Meaningful travel in a large immersive world.  Many MMO players hate the travel times involved in a large seamless world, but for myself I am delighted that there is no 'instant travel', that you have to know the actual geography to get someplace and not 'auto pilot' there, that there are no instant-portals that turn the game from a 'real world' into instead a series of fancy gameplay stages.

2) Content over graphics.  Again I sometimes hear newer players critize the artwork, but I myself love the art in this game, it feels warm and charming and I enjoy simply being in the world. I am truly tired of newer 'eye candy' games where you walk around and say 'wow' then back to the same old 'kill a monster, level up, kill a monster, level up' 

3) Slower pace.  Again, many newer MMOs are all very 'immediate/excitment' oriented but I love savoring a game over weeks/months/years like a lovely cup of tea that I never grow weary of. I am so glad for an option that is not all adrenaline hack-and-slash and racing around grabbing quests as fast as you can or levelling as fast as you can.

4) Sandbox over Themepark.  Everyone disagrees what these words mean, but to me it means constant choices over not only where I go but how I choose the gameplay Itself.   Instead of a parade of people traipsing down a narrow predefined corridor of stage-props to go from Quest A to Quest B to Quest C to ... Endgame. Also being based on skills instead of classes -- while there is technically 'classes' in this game, it is really just a way of organizing what skills you choose to emphasize, the skills you select are far more important and 'classes' are really just a way to define what skills you emphasize, instead of the games where classes actually prevent you from making free choices in skills. 

5)  Roleplay elements over combat.  Again everyone can disagree on what this actually means, fo rme it is getting into my character as an actual character and not a 'toon' that I push around from activity to activity, like a piece on a monopoly board. There is so many things that go into this, it is not JUST about Lore, or JUST about character models/animations, or JUST about the world stage, but a blend of all of these that make me imagine, for a while, that I am in an actual world and an actual character.

To me, this game absolutely  is a 'niche' game that does not try to appeal to everyone, and I hope it always stays a niche game, because otherwise it will get reshaped into the basic molds of current games.  And the fact it is NOT like current MMOs, is exactly why I love it best.
  • ResiaResia Member Posts: 119

Thanks for the clarification on the death or loss of a ship, sounds more like the original games!

There was another thread on this game before it was added to the game list. I love the NES  Uncharted Waters and the Uncharted Waters game for SNES. To my memory they were not "main stream" games, but instead were kind of hard to find in NA. I own both and played them to death so I may peak at this Open Beta.

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

1st thought when i look at the art of this game

Phantasy Star and some of ne SNES games, which i like

and i have read the review from page 1, and i must say, this could be it, the game where i have been looking for

immersive world, slow paced, more exploring and diplomatic over kill monster, level up kind of MMO

especially so far, community seems good

definitely going to try this game out, currently downloading the client

actually just found out about this game today, and just right about in OB

see you guys in game!

So What Now?

• grimmbotgrimmbot Member Posts: 302

My biggest pleasant surprise: It seems they straddled the line well between creating an immersive-looking port and being able to do your business quickly. Lisbon is fairly large and can take a little time to run between areas, but you can access the harbor from Port Guides in every city district.

You can also travel directly to, say, the Commercial District, directly from the harbor as you arrive (you warp to the port guide in that district), which further cuts down on needless running time.

I've had to do more on-foot running doing the School quests than I ever had to do since.

The only problem I have so far: I started in Lisbon and became a food trader, so I have cooking, but of the 5 or 6 ports I have permits to, none of them had a recipe book for my Level 1 cook (I could find as low as Level 3) -- and a Lisbon quest required me make Garlic Cheese. The link the OP shared lists ports in bordeaux and other places, but I can't enter the ports yet.

No issues with any other quests though, and it didn't take too long to figure out what I could safely trade.

Hmm, there should be a low level trader quest called "Best Cook in Town" that requires delivery of one egg (from nearby Porto I believe) and not Garlic Cheese.  I have not seen the quest requiring garlic cheese, so I am not sure if we are talking about the same quest (which has as reward the book "Simple Recipes")

The book can also be purchased in Palma which I believe is accessible for a starter Lisbon character (It is not listed on port charts but in the isle near to Valencia). Your first permit area covers an area that will include many ports but only 5-6 are marked at first, the rest you must "discover" by traveling to them. Your permit map will have a checkbox to shade out any areas of the map you CANNOT travel to. ((edit: I restarted a Lisbon area to check, and it is possible Lisbon has fewer port options than Amsterdam, where I usually play, so possibly Palma is not open till you have over 300 fame and unlocked your next port permit map)

Also, the quests available to you are randomized when you enter a port, and may show completely differnt ones the next time you enter the port. So if the "Best Cook" quest is not there you may have to check backagain (each time you visit a different port then return it should have different option.)

Once you have the book, milling wheat is the best way to level cooking at first