Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Shortest Lived MMOs: Revisited

Comments

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

agree, i never played the game but concept sounds very innovative.

Originally posted by Hedeon

SEED didnt die due to non combat, atleast not the only reason, even if it properbly reduce the customer circle, it were simply not working when they had to launch due to lack of money.

non combat games work in other branches of the gaming industry, so why not in a MMO, but agreed with Brenth, they would have needed a better idea for the day to day activity....and well that being fun.

lack of money, know how, creativity on how to make the gameplay fun (mind it might have ruined it abit for me due to rubberbanding and crashes) and well money again since for someone to pull off an idea this far from the traditional MMO, you d need to advertise it heavy.

SO APB finnaly got canceled? details?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    We should also remember that NCSoft gave all their projects a lot more time to work out kinks. And they still have CoH/V... a game they bough from the original developer Cryptic. NCSoft is great with taking risks... They have their cashcow Lineage 2 so they can take a chance every now and then... Tabula Rasa was crap... Innovative crap but still crap and Auto Assault was a broken broken game, and while the car part was fairly fluid the avatar part was horrid.. stiff animation and a very cumbersome UI.

This have been a good conversation

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by M4ko

Originally posted by Hedeon

SEED didnt die due to non combat, atleast not the only reason, even if it properbly reduce the customer circle, it were simply not working when they had to launch due to lack of money.

non combat games work in other branches of the gaming industry, so why not in a MMO, but agreed with Brenth, they would have needed a better idea for the day to day activity....and well that being fun.

lack of money, know how, creativity on how to make the gameplay fun (mind it might have ruined it abit for me due to rubberbanding and crashes) and well money again since for someone to pull off an idea this far from the traditional MMO, you d need to advertise it heavy.

I was also in the beta, and I agree, too. I think it was a good idea that was very underdeveloped. 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Tabula Rasa didn't have a flawed concept or anything like this. And actually, i saw more people around, both in beta and when it went free to play (didn't play in between, i don't have that much money to spent to shell out $10 or more each month, and even if, no credit card, which would make things difficult at least most of the time), than in most other games.

And i don't understand what everyone has with it looking like a shooter or combat in general.  Maybe was a shooter with rpg elements, or the other way round, who cares? The difference isn't that big today anyways. And the combat itself was fine. As was the concept of the Bane taking outposts etc.

Maybe they could have expanded on that, but i did like it. That they always landed at the same sites etc made it somewhat predictable, but still better than enemies just appearing (respawning) out of the blue in front of you.

The classes had enough differences to be fun, the market allowed people to buy and sell with ease, instead of setting up a shop in the middle of the city with 20000 other people around you, and it had most options you wished for compared to a minimalistic one like in DDO for example.

Visuals where nice, a bit different, and had good performance.

For a game that had its concept turned around 180° in the middle of development, it was really nice done.

Customer support, at least ingame, was fast.

I still believe the game was closed because they wanted it closed, not because there weren't any other choices, like keeping subscriptions (come one, there are worse games still around), or turning it free to play with ads or a mixed model like many games now do.

If you want to see a game etc. dead as person in charge, you will get it dead, like when you broadcast a new series during huge events like F1 chamionships, football or super bowl etc. (yes, that happens quite a lot, so there is no reason that similar things shouldn't happen with video games), but they could have easily "rescued" it.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• hadohado Member Posts: 80

i like the sound of SEED, believe it or not lol.

I remember a game called Mythica(sp) that looked superb, I think it was Turbine.  It never did come out, how bout an article on games that never made the market?  Or did I miss that one?  :P                 

Kinda sad about APB to be honest, I never did play it but was on my list of 'to try'. 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Nothing like stabbing an open wound, I guess.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

The only one of these I tried was Tabula Rasa again in beta and when it was free to play . In fact I quite enjoyed it for what it was . It just was'nt worth spending a sub on . Maybe it would have done well with the hyrbid model .Ncsoft should have tried that first imo .

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

What about Fighting Legends if anybody remembers that game?

I remember that game, I still have a beta disk for it that I picked up at the local electronics store. Bet it's worth nothing on ebay xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by prairiefire

I am just curious as to why Mimesis Online is not on the short list or even mentioned? 

Was it really that short lived ? I played in beta and in release on and of for some time. How long were that game runing ?

• Duster505Duster505 Member Posts: 66

Intresting...

Game that is nr 83 on Xfire has gone bankrupt... Still bad games like AOC and WAR still hang in there just above...

You know the diffrence ? 

WAR and AOC managed to lie and cheat millions of ppl out of a real game.... APB didn't .... and lost right out of the track....

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Anireth

Tabula Rasa didn't have a flawed concept or anything like this. And actually, i saw more people around, both in beta and when it went free to play (didn't play in between, i don't have that much money to spent to shell out $10 or more each month, and even if, no credit card, which would make things difficult at least most of the time), than in most other games.

And i don't understand what everyone has with it looking like a shooter or combat in general.  Maybe was a shooter with rpg elements, or the other way round, who cares? The difference isn't that big today anyways. And the combat itself was fine. As was the concept of the Bane taking outposts etc.

Maybe they could have expanded on that, but i did like it. That they always landed at the same sites etc made it somewhat predictable, but still better than enemies just appearing (respawning) out of the blue in front of you.

The classes had enough differences to be fun, the market allowed people to buy and sell with ease, instead of setting up a shop in the middle of the city with 20000 other people around you, and it had most options you wished for compared to a minimalistic one like in DDO for example.

Visuals where nice, a bit different, and had good performance.

For a game that had its concept turned around 180° in the middle of development, it was really nice done.

Customer support, at least ingame, was fast.

I still believe the game was closed because they wanted it closed, not because there weren't any other choices, like keeping subscriptions (come one, there are worse games still around), or turning it free to play with ads or a mixed model like many games now do.

If you want to see a game etc. dead as person in charge, you will get it dead, like when you broadcast a new series during huge events like F1 chamionships, football or super bowl etc. (yes, that happens quite a lot, so there is no reason that similar things shouldn't happen with video games), but they could have easily "rescued" it.

To tell you the truth, I enjoyed Tabula Rasa quite abit more than I'm currently enjoying Global Agenda.  Its a shame that NCsoft axed it, rather than making it F2P or some such. Its problems could have been corrected, if NCsoft had wanted to. But they obviously didn't want to. 

Global Agenda is just an endless stream of PUG's... I seldom run across a medic who knows what they are doing, so playing assault gets "interesting".  I ran a sniper and a spy to cap with TR, I doubt I'll be in GA long enough to reach cap.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Duster505

Intresting...

Game that is nr 83 on Xfire has gone bankrupt... Still bad games like AOC and WAR still hang in there just above...

You know the diffrence ? 

WAR and AOC managed to lie and cheat millions of ppl out of a real game.... APB didn't .... and lost right out of the track....

Thats the reality. Politicians have known that for a LONG time. You tell people want they want to hear, not what they need to know. Its obviously pretty much the same in game terms.  Its too bad that APB has gone under, but the MMO market is brutal these days.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

I played all classes to cap in TR. That game rocked but needed more engame pve and pvp content.  The Dev events were awesome though.

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Duster505

Intresting...

You know the diffrence ? 

Uhm, no, APB did what you accuse the other two of doing, except much worse. I've gotten every penny's worth out of my subscription to AOC.

Brrrflp!

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

HAHAHA Im laughing so hard. Once i tried the 5 hours free, i knew from the start that it would end that fast.

This game is nothing like GTA. I repeat, nothing from GTA. From the police, to the criminal activity, to the missions, to the freedom to kill any players we want and many others...

The fact that you cannot kill grey players really ruin the whole game. Because of the grey players, Being a criminal, you dont feel like a criminal since you cannot even go against the game rules.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Despite its flaws, I had a lot of fun with SEED. Being encouraged to work with other players to succeed really made for a good community. It's true that the majority of the game focused on running around and repairing the colony, but the people made it fun. I miss it ever so slightly.

• d_dlhd_dlh Member UncommonPosts: 3

What about Orka amd Camon Hero? They aren't what one could call long lived.

• jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43

APB is the best online game ever to hit my PC. 

Maybe not the best, but definetely the one I had more fun playing.

• jpadi69jpadi69 Member Posts: 4

It is funny because the Wal Mart in my town is still trying to sell the collectors edition of Tabula Rasa for $40.

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

Haha Jpad, I have a gamestop still trying to sale Asherons Call 2. Man I miss that game..

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Hmm...

Anyone else remember this article?

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3383/page/1

"#6: All Points Bulletin

I know that some of you out there are going to say that we’ve been giving too much attention to the upcoming game from the folks at Realtime Worlds that promises to be the, at least, spiritual MMO successor to the phenomenally popular Grand Theft Auto franchise, but I think we’ve been spot on in seeing this game’s potential."

Hate to say some of us told you so Jon... but we did.  image

• PorallPorall Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Stormwatch

… The Chronicles of Spellborn …

I second this missed game.  Maybe it didn't make the list because the servers have been running for a while, even still today?  Just no support or new content.  To bad also, I'd still be playing it from launch.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ
    Since people are bringing up games that never made it to release I would like to add Wish onto the list. It had some awesome pre-trammel uo potential. :(

Bet you didn't know that the OP was a developer of WISH.

WHAAATT!! Time to hound the hell of him. I still wonder to this day why in the hell they decided to close the doors while in beta. The game was freaking awesome! I loved those GM Events. I still remember when one of them interviewed me after a goblins raided the starter town. I was awed when they had quoted what I said and put it in the in-game newspaper. BRING IT BACK!!

BOOYAKA!