Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MORTAL ONLINE ORIGINAL MODELS VIDEO

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

SV posted a link to a video of the original models used for some of the in-game mobs.

Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0o1Lj716Lk

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Only me not being amused? What's the big deal, some old models, similar to which we seen in game..

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

aw man thats cool, so whens the game gonna be finished?

• ZheomZheom Member Posts: 58

they are the same models that are ingame (some of them arent mobs that are yet ingame) before they are converted into low resolution models to fit persistent, non-instanced mmo.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Toferio

Only me not being amused? What's the big deal, some old models, similar to which we seen in game..

I dunno.. I find these threads highly amusing.   

Most games that are 3 months into release post videos of actual gameplay.  This could be the first one I can recall that is posting one of concept models showing what they thought the game was going to look like...

I dunno... personally I find that amusing.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Most games that are 3 months into release post videos of actual gameplay.  This could be the first one I can recall that is posting one of concept models showing what they thought the game was going to look like...

where does it say its what they thought the game will look like... 

Originally posted by Zheom

OK then this is the first instance where the company is posting concept models of what they DIDN'T think the game would look like....  3 months after release.   I like your idea better.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Some people are interested in a lot of different facets of gaming - things like concept art and models are all a part of game design.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

OK then this is the first instance where the company is posting concept models of what they DIDN'T think the game would look like....  3 months after release.   I like your idea better.

The reason why they really posted these is explained here:

http://www.mortalonline.com/content/eriks-hijacked-blog-entry

and

http://www.mortalonline.com/news/newsletter-september-2010-09-16

:)

• EschmekEschmek Member Posts: 25

just a question. where are the people who predict that MO will die after 3 months. pm me for some questions im preparing a new blog.

Originally posted by Eschmek

just a question. where are the people who predict that MO will die after 3 months. pm me for some questions im preparing a new blog.

guess it didnt die in 3months afterall..

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

Can not wait for some of those sea creatures to be implemented, if you've kept up with the art of the game those fish are a lot bigger than actual players or will be. High res is going to rule.

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

Everything is in Low res... they're the same models used. You don't play the game, you wouldn't know.

Originally posted by thorppes

Everything is in Low res... they're the same models used. You don't play the game, you wouldn't know.

Read what I said again please.. and then perhaps reconsider your response.

guess it didnt die in 3months afterall..

Depends on your definition of "die".   They sold 15,000-20,000 accounts.  There are 300 that play concurrently.   Perhaps "die" is a stretch.. but life-support would appear close to the mark.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    that wont be on the game because there are to many polygons

BestSigEver :P

• EschmekEschmek Member Posts: 25

i knew it we all are spartans, 300!!!

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Guess what, I posted a comment saying : "why not post finished content instead of posting models with no textures on?"

On the Mortal online youtube page regarding that video...just a few hours later, my comment was removed and my youtube account was blocked on their page.

hillarious how they can't stand any form of non positive comments.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

@slapshot and raff01:

If you want to see finished content, there are 20 videos on the right hand side of the you tube page, several of which are "finished content". It's not as if those models are being the only thing being made available.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by osmunda

@slapshot and raff01:

If you want to see finished content, there are 20 videos on the right hand side of the you tube page, several of which are "finished content". It's not as if those models are being the only thing being made available.

which has nothing to do with what I said. What I have said might have been wrong or somebody like you could simply have answered the way you just did, which is fine by me. I was simply pointing at the fact that SV seem to be very intolerant to anything they don't like to hear.

That usually is a sign that you are not confident in what you are doing.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by raff01

Originally posted by osmunda

@slapshot and raff01:

which has nothing to do with what I said. What I have said might have been wrong or somebody like you could simply have answered the way you just did, which is fine by me. I was simply pointing at the fact that SV seem to be very intolerant to anything they don't like to hear.

That usually is a sign that you are not confident in what you are doing.

On the contrary SV is very tolerant on what's posted on there forums.  If SV were being forum nazis you wouldn't see some of the suggestion posts or any of the complaint posts.  You'll notice that users normally won't post if something is going right, but if something goes wrong there will be several posts about it.  Ultimately even with the minor bugs here and there typical of an MMO in it's first few months of release this game is thriving due in part to the openness of the forum and two way communication between the playerbase and the developers.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• ChinaCatChinaCat Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by username509

On the contrary SV is very tolerant on what's posted on there forums.  If SV were being forum nazis you wouldn't see some of the suggestion posts or any of the complaint posts.  You'll notice that users normally won't post if something is going right, but if something goes wrong there will be several posts about it.  Ultimately even with the minor bugs here and there typical of an MMO in it's first few months of release this game is thriving due in part to the openness of the forum and two way communication between the playerbase and the developers.

You sure we are talking about the same game and developer?   Mortal Online & Star Vault, correct?    Any thing but tolerant evidenced by a plethora of deleted posts the original posters are now long gone.    Any thing but minor bugs which any one following this game knows; hardly typical by any stretch of the imagination; and   Thriving ??  ...

What's Going On? Currently Active Users: 57 (22 members and 35 guests) Friday Night at 9:10pm PST.

-CC

"Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by ChinaCat

Thriving ??  ...

What's Going On? Currently Active Users: 57 (22 members and 35 guests) Friday Night at 9:10pm PST.

-CC

Yes, because how many players are active on the forums directly relates to how many are actually in game playing at that moment.

OH NOEZ! NO 1 IS ON TEH FORUMZ. GAME DEAD!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ChinaCatChinaCat Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by ChinaCat

Thriving ??  ...

-CC

Yes, because how many players are active on the forums directly relates to how many are actually in game playing at that moment.

OH NOEZ! NO 1 IS ON TEH FORUMZ. GAME DEAD!

It's an indicator of interest without question.   Since DF is compared so much with MO here's a comparison to the Darkfall forum at the same time.

What's Going On? Currently Active Users: 361 (78 members and 283 guests) Friday Night at 9:35pm PST

"Username" said MO is thriving, which is a heck of a thing to say when we know that is simply not the case based on what those of us who played and follow the community know.   If it was thriving I tend to think there would be a few more than 22 active members viewing its game forum on a Friday evening.

-CC

"Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Actually I have no problem owning up to this :) I did believe MO would be dead within 3 Months and it is not, so I was wrong. 

Why it is still going is beyond me though. I don't see how it is profitable to SV, they couldn't have come close to even recouping the initial cost of development for it yet and interest is steadily on the decline. 

But in the end I was wrong, MO didn't shut down. I still don't see it surviving long though. 

And @ Chinacat: Funny fact lol, they decided to disable the who's online thing lol. Funny stuff lol. I swear some times it seems like SV is doing every thing in it's power to hide anything negative about MO. 

• oshi45oshi45 Member Posts: 42

The critisizing is amazing to myself.

Here we see artists who are shown what they created, instead of what players were shown and yet people still find random non-topic reasons to argue.   Most moderators would delete off topic posts but not here as always.     How about we stay on topic for once and judge the models as shown?   How about a vagina on a animal model ?

There were  several threads on how people cant stand penis in game and its overtly sexual nature.   What about animal vaginas?